PDA

View Full Version : Denatured alcohol?

VictoriaM
11-03-2006, 20:58
I went to WalMart today and picked up a tin of denarued alcohol. The only kind they had was called S-L-X denatured alcohol. SLX is not the brand, Klean-Strip is. Did I pick up the right stuff, or is S-L-X different from regular denatured?

Dances with Mice
11-03-2006, 21:05
That's the stuff.

VictoriaM
11-03-2006, 21:06
Cool, thanks.

Two Speed
11-03-2006, 21:08
As long as it's labelled as denatured alcohol it'll be just fine. Just make sure it's denatured alcohol and not mineral spirits. That would be very bad, as mineral spirits are a petroleum product with a much higher vapor pressure, and will behave much more like gasoline than an alcohol.

Dances with Mice
11-03-2006, 21:16
As long as it's labelled as denatured alcohol it'll be just fine. Just make sure it's denatured alcohol and not mineral spirits. That would be very bad, as mineral spirits are a petroleum product with a much higher vapor pressure, and will behave much more like gasoline than an alcohol.She's fine. "S-L-X" is the brand name of Kleenstrip's denatured alcohol, which is recommended (http://www.kleanstrip.com/fuels.htm) as a fuel by the manufacturer.

Two Speed
11-03-2006, 21:20
Yeah, S-L-X is what I'm currently using. What I was trying to get at is that as long as the hiker assures themself they're getting denatured alcohol they're good to go.

Does that track with your understanding? It'd be nice to have a confirmation on that.

mweinstone
11-03-2006, 21:36
you have the right crap. and the very best. denatured alcohol is made to use in stoves in the cabins and gallys of ships. all because it is so so clean burning and safe. trust it . never go back to gas unless the temps demand.

mweinstone
11-03-2006, 21:41
in fact, i hate people burning gas in the summers at shelters. not for the sake of pollution smell or noise. for the safty factor. newbees are allways guessing how an msr xgk works. not the stove to be less than proficient with. twice ive saved the day by stopping the wrong use of gas when i must. once on a fire and once this year on my hike a team of 15 idiots tryed to light a stove that was leaking and hot.

Gaiter
11-03-2006, 21:52
I would tell you thats the stuff, but everyone else already has. if you can't find denatured alcohol, look for some stuff called Heet, it comes in a yellow bottle i believe (correct me if i'm wrong). Its a gas-line antifreeze, and some say it burns hotter that denatured alcohol. I haven't done a comparison test (nor do i care to) but it works and thats all that matters.