PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Class of 2006, How Much $ Did You Spend On Your Thru-Hike?

Michele
11-04-2006, 11:29
Because prices shouldn't vary THAT much from last 2006 to 2007, how much $ did you spend on your thru-hike? Assuming you had all of your gear before you started, this figure is for the amount actually spent on the trail. For those of you who may not have finished the whole trail, I also have some options for you, so we can get a good idea. I realize some SOBO's are still out there, so you can vote on what you've spent so far. Thanks!

ScottP
11-07-2006, 13:29
Prices vary quite a bit, and everyone includes different items in thier cost. Do you include gear that doesn't break? Medical problems? Flight to/from the trail?

Not including any of the above, I spent a little under 3000.

Including the above, I spent a little over 6,000. Out of state medical costs add up fast (lyme disease, around 6-700, and it was only this cheap because an aquintance took me into his home for the 2 weeks while I was recovering), as do asthma perscriptions (150/month, 4.5 months), flights from michigan-GA then ME-MI (200 and 400 respecitvely), gear is expensive (1500ish for a full outfit), and gear replacements for broken/not working items (included in the 3000) are also expensive.

So...prices do vary THAT much--I've met individuals who did the entire thing, incluing all costs, for around 3000, and I've met individuals who spent around 15,000.

POLARBEAR
11-09-2006, 11:19
oops my vote included all gear purchases before the trip! subtract 1500+ from my vote :)

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 02:06
wow, so many different factors. about $5000 for me in 05. But speed matters, too. As a faster hiker, I fell into some laziness and was able to stay in towns longer, but some of the older or slower hikers, who just couldn't (or didn't want to) do big miles, just didn't have that luxury, so they blew through towns and didn's spend the money.