PDA

View Full Version : The NEW ipod Shuffle

freefall
11-04-2006, 21:37
Hey all. Thought there might be some people out there wondering about the new iPod shuffle that just came out because of its size/weight. Thought I'd share with everyone my experience with device so far.

Pros:

1- It is very small and hence very lightweight. At only 1.62 inches and at half an ounce (just the iPod, your eadphones will add a little more), it will hardly be noticed tucked away in your backpack or clipped to a shoulder strap.

2- 1GB harddrive. It holds about 240 songs (I only got 237) on the hard drive. At 3.5 minutes per song, this adds up to about 14 hours of music. Plenty to keep you going at the end of the day trying to make that campsite.

3- Compatabililty. So far it has worked with every MP3 I've tried to put on it. Some players don't recognize "questionable" files that may have been obtained "illegally". I just tried to upload some very old mp3s that I downloaded before all the controversey and they worked fine.

4- ease of use. Using iTunes, all you have to do is drag and drop and your song is on your iPod. I have an Apple iBook G4 and it took exactly 1.3 seconds to transfer each song to my Shuffle.

5- Durability. The alluminum shell makes this far superior to the previous plastic model. Rumbling around in my day pack that I carry with me everywhere it has held up fine.

6- Price. At $79 this is hardly the most expensive mp3 player out there.

7- Sound Quality. IS AWSOME! the Clarity is only affected by the file itself. Download a bad file= bad sound. This is a typical mp3 player issue and can be fixed by running the song file through a program that "fixes" your songs.

Cons:

1- Size. Yes this was a pro as well but it would be easy to lose something of this size on the trail. As long as you keep track of it, not a problem.\

2- Downloading music. This might be a BIG problem. I was excited that right after I got home I would have songs on my iPod. Not so. You must have iTunes 7.0.2 to transfer songs to this device. Not a big problem at home, you just download the update but on the trail, you probably won't encounter many libraries or hostles with the right software. So, to change your songs, you'd have to either find a computer in town that has the right software or send the Shuffle home and have it sent back which would mean some downtime on the iPod.

3- Battery life. They claim 12 hours of playback but I have only 11 hours and 50 minutes. This is not a bad figure considering the size of the thing but for a week out on the trail, it's a little sparse. For a week on the trail, you could only use it about 1.8 hours a day. You can recharge on any computer that has a USB port but can only download on ones that have the right software.

4- Setup. Out of the box, I had to download iTunes 7.0.2 to work with the new Shuffle. Then on top of that, I had to download a patch for the Shffle itself. This is only a minor inconvience on broadband but at the moment I only have dialup so it took forever. This co-incides with the compatability problem above- not every public computer is going to have the right softaware or allow you to download the software.

5- Sound quality/level. While the sound level might be perfect for the woods, next to a busy highway it might might be difficult ot hear. This is part of the sizing issue. You have to sacrafice some volume level to have a device this small. There is no aprecaible difference in quality beteween my computer and my iPod shuffle.

OVERALL

I would carry this device in areas that had frequent town visits. That way I could recharge or upload new music. For rural areas it might not be a good decision unless you can deal with the songs already on it and manage use to not kill the battery. You can recharge it with any computer that has an USB port on it. It may take a litle while but not too long. mine re-charged in less than an hour.

Good luck to all that are out ther or will soon be out there. I hope this helps you in your journey.

squivens
11-04-2006, 21:53
another issue with ipods ... make sure you have them set to update manually. If you have it set to update automatically and you plug into another computer. Say goodbye to your music.

I've never tried the shuffles or even the other flash drive ones. But their hard drive mp3 players (there 20 GB, 40 GB and so on) wont last long at all during trail life. They are very sensitive and temperamental

Lilred
11-04-2006, 22:25
I took my nano on the trail last summer. Can't remember how many gigs it has, I think 3 or 4. It holds 60 hours of music so I don't have to worry about changing out songs due to repetitive playings. It was great. I bought the wall adapter to recharge it and there was never a time that it went dead before recharges.

freefall
11-04-2006, 22:46
I'm sure there is a power adapter for the new iPod, I just haven't seen it yet. That way you can re-charge via a power outlet. So far the shuffle is holding up well. We had temps down to 15 degrees here in Littelton and it held up just fine (yes I was out there for at least an hour and a half). I'm sure temps affect battery life but heven't seen it yet. For commuting this is a great device. Eventually I'll be able to tell how it does on long hikes. This was just my take on the device so far (they've only been out a week).

RITBlake
11-04-2006, 23:35
no thanks, Ill take the iriver mp3 player that is lighter, carries more music, and has an FM tuner

gumball
11-04-2006, 23:37
Glad to hear the positives, just picked mine up today :)

UCONNMike
11-05-2006, 02:14
and at half an ounce...

no thanks, Ill take the iriver mp3 player that is lighter, carries more music, and has an FM tuner

Hey Bra, while I would agree the iRiver is pretty sweet (battery powered rather than charge only) I don't think it is lighter....come on bra, get you oz.'s straight.

oh, and btw I slept ni old big green last night...comfy as a cloud

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2010, 08:01
We were in an Apple store yesterday and saw the new 4th gen iPod Shuffle. Seemed like a great idea for hiking - so tiny. Then I checked the reviews on Amazon.......pretty bad overall. Lots of complaints about how any dampness on the headset cord, where the controls are, and the thing dies. That included the dampness of sweat from hiking/running. Apparently the controls are up near your head so of course they'd get damp from sweat.

So, anyone tried the 4th gen version in damp conditions? We had San Disk 1G MP3s with the AA battery (2006 model). Mine kept eating the battery within 2 - 3 hours, hubby's was fine. I don't own an Apple computer and probably never will (my own reasons) - do I have to have one to sync an iPod?

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2010, 10:30
We were in an Apple store yesterday and saw the new 4th gen iPod Shuffle. Seemed like a great idea for hiking - so tiny. Then I checked the reviews on Amazon.......pretty bad overall. Lots of complaints about how any dampness on the headset cord, where the controls are, and the thing dies. That included the dampness of sweat from hiking/running. Apparently the controls are up near your head so of course they'd get damp from sweat.

So, anyone tried the 4th gen version in damp conditions? We had San Disk 1G MP3s with the AA battery (2006 model). Mine kept eating the battery within 2 - 3 hours, hubby's was fine. I don't own an Apple computer and probably never will (my own reasons) - do I have to have one to sync an iPod?

Did more research and ordered a Sandisk Clip. 2GB is more than enough for me, has a travel charger, syncs easily to my HP laptop for the CDs I have on it, very small and lights, and $50. We'll see how it works.

JRiker
03-29-2010, 12:05
i like my ipod shuffle. i use it at the gym all the time. sweat runs down the cord and gets in the controls and messes it up. i wrapped it with teflon tape to prevent that, and it works fine again. i've used it many times since then and had no problems. the sandisk clip looks pretty good too... i might look into one of those for my wife.

The_Saint
03-29-2010, 12:25
I highly recommend the Sony Walkman series. They're battery life is by far the longest, they're small, light and have FM tuners in them. Also, they're the most feature rich for the price.

BTW: Battery life is 40+ hours. I used one all last summer and as long as I was in town every 5 days, I never ran out. That was the selling feature for me. The FM tuner will not work well on the AT. Too much interference from the mountains, gaps, etc.

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2010, 12:57
The Clip has an FM tuner as well but I would never use it. I would already have plenty of music and that's the primary format of FM. I'd much rather have access to AM for news/talk stations when I'm tired of music. By the way, I only use the music for slogging up steep hills - keeps my mind off of how tired I am and seems to get me up the hill faster. Otherwise, I'm earphone free and prefer hearing nature and enjoying conversation.

Miner
03-29-2010, 14:47
I highly recommend the Sony Walkman series. They're battery life is by far the longest Cowon has been making 40+ hour battery life MP3 players for a couple of years. My 2year old Cowon player (16GB) can get 46hrs, has FM, act as a voice/FM recorder, can play FLAC files and has a SDHC slot. My complaint with Sony electronics is their insistance on using their proprietary memory cards (memory stick) that won't work with anything non-sony (a deal breaker for me as I switch out memory cards between devices all the time and why I long ago stopped buying Sony).

Buy your electronics for the trail just like you do with the rest of your gear. Get something light, small, with a long battery life or something that takes replaceable batteries. I see too many people adding alot of crap and weight inorder to keep their non-trail friendly electronics charged on the trail just so they don't have to change their home listening habbits even a tiny bit. For me, it just isn't worth it to bring my 120GB player on the trail and all the associated weight of the extra stuff to keep it running long enough to charge it in the next town.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:01
What would be wrong with just using your iPhone, or other smart phone to play your music, as well as answer your calls, instead of carrying both? Emailing pictures and/or clips would also be a clear advantage. If you choose one that accomodates a separate mini SD card, some of which can go up to 16 Gb, that should be pretty adequate, and allow you the added advantage of transferring to/from your computer with a card reader. Maybe i'm missing something here, but this system works well for me.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:08
You might want to consider a charge source like the dexim BluePack S3, from www.RichardSolo.com (http://www.RichardSolo.com), which will accomodate Blackberry, T-Mobile, and HTC. It's a great battery back up and will charge my Droid 2 1/2 times before it needs a recharge itself. This thing is slightly larger than a Nano, but give you the peace of mind you will always be connected when you need to be.