PDA

View Full Version : What would it take...Damascus?

freefall
11-04-2006, 21:52
What would it take for hikers to totally take over Damascus? I mean based on the demographics that I have gathered from postings on WB, if hikers just started buying property in Damascus, we could own the town in 15-20 years!

Just a thought. I'm sure LW will have something to say about this.

A town totally owned and devoted to hikers! Rock on!!

Lone Wolf
11-04-2006, 21:59
First, I'd move out. Second, property ain't affordable for most hikers these days.:)

Tractor
11-04-2006, 22:01
Why? What about taking over Hot Springs instead? Damascus is what it is.......

orangebug
11-04-2006, 22:42
Damascus is now an eco-tourism mecca. It has hiking, biking, running, fishing, some tubing, wineries and more.

What is more likely to happen will be increased real estate prices as hostels get converted to B&B's, and fewer stores will tolerate hiker stench. I'd not be surprised in 20 years to see the AT moved to the current Iron Mtn Trail, with fewer services available, unless one chooses to hitch into one of the neighboring villages.

Tractor
11-04-2006, 23:15
orangebug, u may be right but i hope not.

freefall
11-04-2006, 23:18
First, I'd move out. Second, property ain't affordable for most hikers these days.:)

Compared with the rest of the country, Damascus is a bargain! At TD `06 that house on the corner of two big streets, on the west side of the bridge you see it from the trail right as the trail turns right (NOBO) over the bridge. Anyway, me and some friends stopped and read the info sheet on the sign and it was really affordable. Hell, we even thought about buying it and turning it into a Hostel. Just couldn't agree on who would stay there to run the place!:)

Undershaft
11-05-2006, 11:43
If Damascus was owned entirely by hikers there would be no viable economy in the town because everyone would be out hiking, and the town would die.

lobster
11-05-2006, 12:47
Every tree in town would have a hammock hung from it.

Seriously, all the stores would close cause hikers are so cheap.

weary
11-05-2006, 13:33
What would it take for hikers to totally take over Damascus? I mean based on the demographics that I have gathered from postings on WB, if hikers just started buying property in Damascus, we could own the town in 15-20 years!
Just a thought. I'm sure LW will have something to say about this.
A town totally owned and devoted to hikers! Rock on!!
I think we should leave Damascus alone. We have enough trouble over there. Oh! You say your talking about Damascus, Virginia. That's different. Take over the whole state if you want.

Weary

Lugnut
11-05-2006, 23:17
Damascus is now an eco-tourism mecca. It has hiking, biking, running, fishing, some tubing, wineries and more.

What is more likely to happen will be increased real estate prices as hostels get converted to B&B's, and fewer stores will tolerate hiker stench. I'd not be surprised in 20 years to see the AT moved to the current Iron Mtn Trail, with fewer services available, unless one chooses to hitch into one of the neighboring villages.

I think that the Iron Mountain Trail was the AT at one time.

Sandy B
11-06-2006, 21:52
Weary - I always enjoy your post. :D

Sandy B

RAT
11-07-2006, 02:14
I think that the Iron Mountain Trail was the AT at one time.

Yup, that's right.