PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Systems

springerfever
11-05-2006, 05:05
Anyone ever heard of, or used any of the clothing manufactured by this outfit in the UK ? I'm interested in a windproof shell and I've seen a couple of good reports on comfort and quality of their windshirt....thanks, see below

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ls7rollover.htm

The General
11-05-2006, 07:38
I used some Buffalo Systems whilst in the Military in the UK. In a variety of enviroments. Generaly this gear is very well made and robust. I would recommend it. it will do the job, give it a try.

MedicineMan
11-05-2006, 07:45
It is a great garment but I can't easily hike in it because it is too hot...and though made of pertex it is of sig. weight for a gament of this type (heavy maybe due to all the bells and whistles and the microfleece lining),,,it would make a great piece for campwear but for a slight few extra ounces I can carry a thermawrap which is far warmer....cant comment on other Buffalo products since this is the only one i've got.

highway
11-05-2006, 09:04
I have lusted after one of these for some time now:

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=HJDHQ_+buffalo+teclite+activity+s hirt&cid=55

and I assume that is what you purchased. There is another thread here on this site where i described what I have learned of their system, of using few or no clothes under the shirt and let it dry with movement, the outside shell of pertex just being water resistant. I used a Marmot Dri-clime windshirt for a number of years which is a copy of the same concept. As a matter of fact it is usually the warmest article of clothing I take, even for three season colder weather. Anyway, one can keep warm and dry easily with the concept. I just take a lightweight poncho and have used it when the windshirt began to wet out. It is now old and I suspect has been a few too many times through the washer.

A great article on the concept, and which first put me onto it is here:

http://www.rrv-bsa.com/Resources/Ultralight%20Clothing.htm

I bought the paramo mountain shirt a month or so ago to replaCE the Marmot windshirt:

http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/MountainPull-on-13-136.html

and I am waiting or cold weather to try it-I just wish it had a hood. i dont take many clothes and a hood is the best way to compromise and keeps body heat of head and neck, too within the garment. Anyway, It is heavier than the driclime, so should be slightly warmer. I am hoping it lets me eliminate rain gear in summer months and will be slightly warmer in colder ones.

Anyway, I considered the Teclite activity shirt (is that what you purchased?) mostly for the hood. I sure would like to see one before I spring for so much $ from Britain...but if it does what they say...

highway
11-05-2006, 09:05
I used some Buffalo Systems whilst in the Military in the UK. In a variety of enviroments. Generaly this gear is very well made and robust. I would recommend it. it will do the job, give it a try.

What gear and did it replace rain gear?:-?

highway
11-05-2006, 09:12
It is a great garment but I can't easily hike in it because it is too hot...and though made of pertex it is of sig. weight for a gament of this type (heavy maybe due to all the bells and whistles and the microfleece lining),,,it would make a great piece for campwear but for a slight few extra ounces I can carry a thermawrap which is far warmer....cant comment on other Buffalo products since this is the only one i've got.

When you say you cannot hike in it, because it is too hot, what did you wear under it?
You should have nothing between it and your skin but a wicking tee or tank, like Capilene or comparable, and not a large wad of clothes, which defeats its purpose.
I am really curious. Hmmm...sure would like to see it.

highway
11-08-2006, 09:32
I sure wish you would comment on the above questions.

I am quite interested in the Paramo/Buffalo concept and would like some other, first hand, input on the idea

So, I am bringing up the old thread again

springerfever
11-08-2006, 13:17
highway,

I went ahead and ordered the windshirt from a UK website. After I receive it and use it for a while I will post the results. Looks like a nice piece to add to my gearlist.

highway
11-08-2006, 13:50
I guess its a moot question now but where did you decide to buy it from? There are a number of shops selling the gear, most around some location called Cumbria, which most likely has some significance as a skiing/climbing area-at least I imagine as much.

Anyway I almost bought the Teclite Activity shirt here:

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=HJDHQ_+buffalo+teclite+activity+s hirt&cid=55

I emailed them and asked for a "sale" price but they wouldnt hear of it. Anyway, If I felt i could hide it from the wife, I would have bought it anyway...but didn't.

Which did you buy? The idea is outstanding if it works, but I suspect one would have to do exactly as they say and not use many, if any, layers, before leaving rain gear at home. It is a tantalizing idea:cool:

Keep me (and maybe others, too) posted. Thanks

springerfever
11-08-2006, 18:56
highway

actually I got it from the same vendor...

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=IDAJQ_+buffalo+windshirt+mens&cid=55

Prices were identical throughout a Google search, with shipping being one of the primary considerations. Penrith bases their shipping on weight, so we'll see when the package arrives AND my Visa statement. All in all, it should be between 80-100 dollars for the windshirt.

I LOVE the idea of a windshirt and actually have been using one for the last two years....the Montane Featherlite. Great top but pretty fragile..weighed all of about four ounces. The buffalo should be a little heavier weave of Pertex 5 and extremely breathable. These work great with just a long or short sleeve capaline or lightweight wool t-shirt in pretty much any type of weather short of a full rain, in which case I add a Integral Design poncho.

The Buffalo also has the desireable front pocket and pit-zips, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. This manufacturer is pretty pricy and sometimes you will see their gear on EBay-UK so keep your eyes open for the Teclite....Christmas is not too far off !!

highway
11-09-2006, 10:22
I see, you just purchased the pertex outer/wind-proofing and not the one where it is lined with some micro-fleece for wicking. I was more interested in that so as to have it eliminate (at least some of few) inner layers as well as outer raingear:

I think the Medicine Man said he bought it.

highway
11-09-2006, 10:35
highway...I LOVE the idea of a windshirt and actually have been using one for the last two years....the Montane Featherlite. Great top but pretty fragile..weighed all of about four ounces. The buffalo should be a little heavier weave of Pertex 5 and extremely breathable. These work great with just a long or short sleeve capaline or lightweight wool t-shirt in pretty much any type of weather short of a full rain, in which case I add a Integral Design poncho.

The Buffalo also has the desireable front pocket and pit-zips, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. This manufacturer is pretty pricy and sometimes you will see their gear on EBay-UK so keep your eyes open for the Teclite....Christmas is not too far off !!

i use a similar arrangement: capilene tank, capilene tee, Railrider eco-mesh shirt and Marmot windshirt-never anything more and find it plenty warm, moving. The Marmot dri-clime windshirt now wets out too quickly in pouring rain and I have to put on the ID poncho, keep walking, and it dries me completely. I want to replace the Marmot dri-clime windshirt and poncho with one garment, the Buffalo teclite. I sure would love to see one beforew I sheel out all those $, though. I keep looking on Ebay but no luck. I just dont think it is a concept that ever caught on here-if it works at all! But, "they" say it does:rolleyes: