PDA

View Full Version : Blue Blaze Tours of the AT

lobster
11-05-2006, 12:48
LW, I heard you were starting up this venture!

SGT Rock
11-05-2006, 12:52
Sounds like fun. Can I be a trail guide?

jmaclennan
11-06-2006, 19:39
i always thought it would be a great idea to put a book together on all the blue blazes that come off the AT with topos, descriptions, pictures, etc. it would be fun to research too. somebody do it please.

mogilews
11-06-2006, 20:20
This is a brilliant idea. Someone should include memorable roadwalks too.

"The Blue-Blazer's Handbook"

and, for the shameless:

"The Yellowblazing Bible"

Skidsteer
11-06-2006, 20:31
Lone Wolf is the man for the job.

SGT Rock
11-07-2006, 00:13
Well for starters - the BMT. You can Blue Blaze past the entire first 10% or more of the trail.

RAT
11-07-2006, 01:34
I could always start hobocentral.com back up ? It is geared primarily for blue-blazing. Was going to get blueblaze.net but it seems homeland security has that already taken. Would you be willing to help Wolf ?

RAT

Peaks
11-07-2006, 09:01
This is a brilliant idea. Someone should include memorable roadwalks too.

"The Blue-Blazer's Handbook"

and, for the shameless:

"The Yellowblazing Bible"

I've often thought that it would be neat to cycle the length of the Appalachians. Parts of the route are easy to figure out, like follow the Blue Ridge Parkway and then the Skyline Drive. The Yellowblazing Bible would be a big help for this adventure.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 09:06
I could always start hobocentral.com back up ? It is geared primarily for blue-blazing. Was going to get blueblaze.net but it seems homeland security has that already taken. Would you be willing to help Wolf ?

RAT

help how? I now jack *****t about computers except how to one-finger type and piss people off.:D

general
11-07-2006, 09:13
help how? I now jack *****t about computers except how to one-finger type and piss people off.:D

we can get together, have some kill me quick, you talk, i'll type.

SGT Rock
11-07-2006, 09:14
I wonder how hard that would be to set up as a PDF file? Seems if we had enough people input to some threads we could copy it over and do some formating. But there would have to be some standard minimum data:

1. Trail location (mile point on AT).
2. Trip Length in miles.
3. Trail description.
4. Points of interest.
5. Possibilities of loop backs and connections.

Example:

Benton McKaye Trail

Trail length: ~280 miles

Description: ~280 mile trail that follows the western ridge of the Appalachians. Initially envisioned by past Thru-Hikers as an alternative to the crowding found in the first section of the Appalachian Trail The trail...

Points of Interest: Taccoa River Bridge, Slicrock Wilderness, Stratton Bald..

Loop Back possibilities: The BMT crosses the AT at 4 points, two of which are at the ends of the BMT making it possible to...

Anyway, you get the point. The longer the trail, the more that would be needed in the description. Maps, photos, etc could be put in with it. Then a downloadable PDF could be available so a hiker could take this "companion" along with them to see if there are any side trails to hit or optional ways to go along the AT.

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 09:45
What are the highlights?

No chance of encountering Baltimore Jack. :banana

Just kidding Jack. You know I love you. :D

SGT Rock
11-07-2006, 10:01
Hey, I hear Jack actually did some blue-blazing recently.:eek:

Footslogger
11-07-2006, 10:12
Hey, I hear Jack actually did some blue-blazing recently.:eek:
=============================

Bite your tongue ...

'Slogger

Undershaft
11-07-2006, 11:52
I would love to see "A Blue Blazers Guide to the Appalachian Trail". I have a few pages filled up in a notebook with info on notable blue blazes along the AT that I have found through various online sources. I intend to do a fair amount of blue blazing on my hike next year, especially in the White Mtns.

saimyoji
11-07-2006, 12:20
Blue blaze from Windsor furnace to Hawk Mtn. PA:

as the trail goes passed the reservoir access path, head up to the reservoir. Follow the path around the right side, and up the blue blazed trail up to the top of the ridge, from there down to Eckville. This is a great hike, crosses/follows a few streams/waterfalls, lots of wildlife, pretty forest-scapes. Of course you miss the rock fields...oh well....:D

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 18:49

That's cause you type with one middle finger. I would've volunteered to transcribe but I can only manage two middle fingers myself.

Not much in the way of a timesaver.

Nearly Normal
11-08-2006, 05:28
A beer drinkers guide would be nice.
Pete56

hopefulhiker
11-08-2006, 09:25
I have heard a lot of people take the parkways when they run along the trail: take the Virginia Creeper Trail in Damascus; some people cut sections out by paddling a canoe..
For Blue blazers who like the side trips I would reccomend Gulf Hagus trail in ME, and the Pierce Pond waterfall in ME.

mogilews
11-09-2006, 10:08
Oh damnation I wish I knew that. Northen PA ate my soul.

(except for Palmerton, that was a great burg).

Blue blaze from Windsor furnace to Hawk Mtn. PA:

as the trail goes passed the reservoir access path, head up to the reservoir. Follow the path around the right side, and up the blue blazed trail up to the top of the ridge, from there down to Eckville. This is a great hike, crosses/follows a few streams/waterfalls, lots of wildlife, pretty forest-scapes. Of course you miss the rock fields...oh well....:D

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 18:52
Oh damnation I wish I knew that. Northen PA ate my soul.

(except for Palmerton, that was a great burg).

Another reason to carry maps? :-?

RAT
11-10-2006, 00:23
We had a blue-blaze listings function on hobocentral done state by state. users could log in and post their favorite blueblaze trails and info for that state. It was nice software designed by a friend of mine and worked well. I am thinking seriously of starting it back up if I can find the time.

Lone Wolf said:

help how? I now jack *****t about computers except how to one-finger type and piss people off.

That would be prefect ! No, what I was referring to was your knowledge of known blue blaze trails, bars, food joints, hostels, hiker friendly people along the trail etc. That would be alot of help. I`ll do the webmaster *****t ! It`s what I do !

HAIRNT !

RAT

SGT Rock
11-10-2006, 00:52
Hey RAT, maybe troll could set you up with server space here on our server.

ed bell
11-10-2006, 01:17
I remember the hobocentral site. Good stuff. I raced a few times, lol.:)

RAT
11-10-2006, 03:13
I remember the hobocentral site. Good stuff. I raced a few times, lol

And lost to the RATman no doubt ! we had that down to the millionth of a minute !! I only lost a few times and then it was to Wolf I think !

As for webspace, I think there is enough strain put on the server here by this very active forums and plans attroll has for the future. Since I work for one of the largest and most highly reviewed webhosts in the world and have free space I can run it from there where my my other sites are ;-) Just having the time is the only obstacle. Would be nice to have the "RAT RACE" back tho,,, hmmmmmm____

RAT

DawnTreader
11-10-2006, 13:37
I have heard a lot of people take the parkways when they run along the trail: take the Virginia Creeper Trail in Damascus; some people cut sections out by paddling a canoe..
For Blue blazers who like the side trips I would reccomend Gulf Hagus trail in ME, and the Pierce Pond waterfall in ME.

Pierce Pond waterfall?? tell me more, I had no idea there was a blue blaze for this......

Sly
11-10-2006, 13:56
The Big Blue aka Tuscarora Trail- Matthews Arm to Duncannon

mogilews
11-10-2006, 22:52
Another reason to carry maps? :-?

Yes, it's one of the great regrets I've had about the trail. Carrying maps would've added a great deal to the trail experience, in spite of the weight and the trouble.