PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Double Rainbow....

Boat Drinks
11-05-2006, 12:49
Is there a prefered/better way to stuff this tent back into the stuff sack? I can do it, but it seems awkward and time consuming. Also, it is a good idea to seal the stuff sack as well as the tent?

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 14:00
Have one but not used it yet. That said ...I would not try and stuff it back in it's original sack. For starters I would never be able to get it rolled so perfectly and second, it's the wrong shape to stuff in my pack.

I have some silnylon stuff sacks that measure 7" x 17" and I plan to simply cram the tent into one of those to actually carry it on the trail.

That's what I always did with my Tarptent Squall and I'm sure it will work with the Double Rainbow as well.

'Slogger

Boat Drinks
11-05-2006, 15:01
Have one but not used it yet. That said ...I would not try and stuff it back in it's original sack. For starters I would never be able to get it rolled so perfectly and second, it's the wrong shape to stuff in my pack.

I have some silnylon stuff sacks that measure 7" x 17" and I plan to simply cram the tent into one of those to actually carry it on the trail.

That's what I always did with my Tarptent Squall and I'm sure it will work with the Double Rainbow as well.

'Slogger

So that brings more questions... I was led to believe that you shouldn't roll a tent to stuff it as it will wear the seams out quicker, is this not true for Tarptents? I got it back into the stuff sack, but it was kinda aggravating. Is this why you use the other sack, or do you like it 'cause its more waterproof? The Tarptent sack seems to be made of the same material as the tent so wouldn't it be water proof as well? I guess I could pour water in it from the sink to see huh?:D

Gaiter
11-05-2006, 15:35
I'm not familiar w/ the tent other than its a henry shire's tarptent, but the standard thing w/ tents is that you don't fold and roll them up, the places where it is folded over and over again will wear down, just stuff its into it sack. It make take a few times to get used to stuffing it in, it did for me and my tent, but now, i stuff it in there in no time at all.

saimyoji
11-05-2006, 15:48
...the standard thing w/ tents is that you don't fold and roll them up, the places where it is folded over and over again will wear down...

I never found this to be true. I folded and rolled my tent for years (nearly 12) and it never wore more on the folds. It did finally delaminate, but not on a fold line.

YMMV

orangebug
11-05-2006, 16:17
This is a tent that just has to be folded as the front beam is too convenient for rolling and folding. Trying to get a wet one into the stuff sack is difficult.

humunuku
11-05-2006, 19:19
I've neve had a problem ggetting the DR back into the stuff sack. I just lay the tent on the ground, fold one side up ove the top, then fold the other side over the top (think of how you fold a piece of paper before putting it in an envelope) the roll it up...only takes a min or two.

I'm not sure why you'd want to seal the stuff sack, the tent already gets exposed to the elements every night, so if a little water got thru the sack, it'd (is that a word?) be okay.

Boat Drinks
11-05-2006, 20:11
I'm not sure why you'd want to seal the stuff sack, the tent already gets exposed to the elements every night, so if a little water got thru the sack, it'd (is that a word?) be okay.

LOL, cause I'm a friggin NOOB!!!:datz :bse :jump

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 20:37
[quote=coralrives;266679]So that brings more questions... I was led to believe that you shouldn't roll a tent to stuff it as it will wear the seams out quicker, is this not true for Tarptents? I got it back into the stuff sack, but it was kinda aggravating. Is this why you use the other sack, or do you like it 'cause its more waterproof?
===================================

I use the other sack because the dimensions are more suitable for my backpack. Also, as you pointed out, religously folding a tent the same way (regardless of it's construction) will ulitmately cause problems. With the stuff sack you just stick and handfull in and then keep on shoving until it's all inside.

'Slogger

wilderness bob
11-05-2006, 21:10
Coralrives,

A few suggestions. Use a large enough cinch-able stuff sack (Granite gear has a nice selection) and simply "stuff" it in there. I recommend putting it in, in reverse order. Fly first, then tent and finally foot print. That way when you pull the tent out it is in the order you need to set it up. Great to have it this way in case it starts to rain or you are running out of daylight. If you are worried about it getting wet, and you should be, then put the sack into a trash bag. Wet tents get moldy quick and you would not believe how much water weight adds up fast on a wet tent. If wet take a break and air it out during the day, perhaps hang it on your bear line (set it up like a clothes line). Tent poles and stakes keep separate, perhaps into the original stuff sack. This prevents accidental tent damage as well as damage to other thing is your back pack. Hope this helps, WB

houthuse
11-06-2006, 00:19
I have a double rainbow and I love it, but the stuff sack is definitely difficult to work with. The tent really has to be folded and rolled up if you leave the smaller ridge pole in (because of the velcro I assume the pole comes out of the sleeve, but I haven't actually tried that). The stuff sack that came with the tent is 8" x 23", and I got a slightly larger one to make things easier. Small problem to have, though, in the larger scheme of things, IMO. I really like this tent.:)

halftime
11-06-2006, 01:00

Wouldn't this prevent the rest of your pack contents from getting wet?

Gaiter
11-06-2006, 14:34
I never found this to be true. I folded and rolled my tent for years (nearly 12) and it never wore more on the folds. It did finally delaminate, but not on a fold line.

YMMV

yeah, i should add that that is for tents used a lot like when your on a long trip, I fold and roll my 4 man tent for car camping. my dad has always folded his tents for years w/ no problem, but those don't get used quite as much.
so that brings the question, if your solo tent isn't being used much (long term storage, how sad) should you then fold and roll?