PDA

View Full Version : Pre-mix aqua mira?

1azarus
11-05-2006, 17:08
I'll be hiking from unicoi gap to fontana dam in january and will use aqua mira water treatment. i know this seems obsessive, but i don't like to wait for five minutes for the aqua mira to activate. there are so few daylight hours in early january!!! i wonder if it is ok to premix a and b and dump the mix right into a small propel bottle up to two hours in advance of adding the water. that way i can just fill and go when i get to a water source. i can't seem to get any info from aqua mira on this... any thoughts? oh, i carry two propel bottles out of my pack for easy access, so i always have treated water available... and i cary a 1.5 liter camelbak just to make the water stretch through the day...

hopefulhiker
11-05-2006, 17:27
Never did do this, and I think you are supposed to wait more than five min. to drink the water.. I remember staring at my watch second hand roll around untill I could guzzle that water down!

Just Jeff
11-05-2006, 17:32
Personally, I wouldn't try it...if I were suspicious enough to treat the water, I'd follow the directions as closely as possible.

But KlearWater is another brand of chlorine dioxide that doesn't require mixing. Still have to wait for it to clean the water, obviously. You can order it here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html) among other places. The shelf life is only about 6 months, though...much shorter than AM.

1azarus
11-05-2006, 17:55
sure, i know i need to wait for the water to be treated after i add the aqua mira drops to the water, i just want to premix the aqua mira drops for MORE than 5 minutes before adding the mixture to the water, like maybe an hour or two...

highway
11-05-2006, 18:06
A source for the premixed & tablets is here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Cooking%20and%20Hydration/Water%20Treatment/index.html

mike!
11-05-2006, 19:32
i asked the people who make Aqua Mira about this, it was a couple of months back, but i believe if it's premixed for longer then 15mins, its not nearly effective. i might be off on the time, but i know its less then an hour ;)
mike!

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 20:48
Not sure about pre-mixing the AquaMira ...but have you heard about Klearwater ?? It comes pre-mixed and is a stable chorine dioxide solution. For shorter trips the Klearwater is my choice (although I used AquaMira exclusively during my thru in 2003).

'Slogger

1azarus
11-05-2006, 22:05
thank you all. sounds like i really need to try the klearwater!!! at least for the times in the winter when i don't want to hang around...

Two Speed
11-05-2006, 22:08
. . . It comes pre-mixed and is a stable chorine dioxide solution.Any idea how they achieve a stable chlorine dioxide compound? I thought the "stable" part was tricky.

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 22:28
Any idea how they achieve a stable chlorine dioxide compound? I thought the "stable" part was tricky.
=====================================

I do not. Wish I had the background in chemistry to fully understand the situation. Here is an article in which the term "stabilized" is used in reference to Klearwater.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html

By the way ...although the maker of Klearwater does not recommend repackaging, I use a small brown 30ml bottle with an eye dropper top that I got from my pharmacist. Lots easier to use in the field.

Here's another link I just found. A little redundant but talks a bit more about the "active" chlorine dioxide in Klearwater.

http://argear.com/gear/grklearwater-watertreatment.html

'Slogger

MacGyver2005
11-06-2006, 11:27
The chemical reaction between part A and part B of Aqua-Mira will only be useful for a set amount of time. I will add that five minutes is not enough time for the reaction to occur. I believe 15-20 minutes is what is on the packaging, and this is determined at a higher temperature than you will most likely encounter in January...you would be better off to allow the mixture to react for half an hour! If you are not wanting to exercise the patience for this, there are several "immediate" alternatives. For the short amount of time you'll be out there, Polar Pure or iodine should even be a viable option.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 14:07
The instructions say to mix it in the cap, let it sit for 5 minutes, then put it into your water and wait for ~25 minutes...I don't remember that last number exactly, but I'm sure the first one is 5 min. It does have a note about letting it sit longer in the water before you drink it for things like sediment and low temps, but I don't think it says to extend the 5 minutes b/c of temp.

MacGyver2005
11-07-2006, 10:41
The instructions say to mix it in the cap, let it sit for 5 minutes, then put it into your water and wait for ~25 minutes...I don't remember that last number exactly, but I'm sure the first one is 5 min. It does have a note about letting it sit longer in the water before you drink it for things like sediment and low temps, but I don't think it says to extend the 5 minutes b/c of temp.

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. It's been over a year since I messed with the stuff.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Thor
11-07-2006, 11:12
If you're in that much of a hurry, just buy a steripen.

Two Speed
11-07-2006, 11:38
. . . I do not. Wish I had the background in chemistry to fully understand the situation. . . Well, we appear to be in the same boat when it comes to chemistry. The links you provided have given me a good bit to chew on. If anyone hears choking and gagging noises it just means I'm having a good time digesting that stuff.

d2m
11-07-2006, 12:38
just mix a and b together then get water . by the time you get back the mix is ready to pour in .