PDA

View Full Version : Silicon nylon Ponchos

dbs
11-06-2006, 00:57
Does anybody have experience with Stephenson's or Integral Design ponchos? These ponchos are about half the weight of my current one and look attractive. Thanks in advance. Dave

highway
11-06-2006, 06:14
The ID silponcho I use from time to time. Snapping the sides it protects from rain quite well, is open in enough places that sweat doesnt build up to wet you out. It has an elastic band that you can put around you, under pack to keep it from flapping but I never use it. Going uphill, especially on narrow ledges any poncho is a pain because you can trip on the dangling edges. They really shine for three season use, other than the above. Some love them, some hate them. if its warmish(no snow) I prefer poncho. If colder I prefef something which keeps more heat in like a Marmot Pre-cip. It works for me

Poncho, ID Silponcho 5’X8’ (.58 un-sealed; w/sealing=. 68) 0.68

After you seal the sewn seams it weighs .68 Lb or 10.88 ounces, slightly less than the Pre-cip rain parka

Two Speed
11-06-2006, 07:53
Pretty much what Highway said. I've got an ID silnylon poncho. Great here in the south, could be problematic further north as jackets are definitely warmer.

Will add one thing to the conversation: provided the weather's mild and the bugs aren't an issue a poncho like the ID silnylon works as a passable tarp for me. I do also use a silnylon bivy bag, just in case I get the pitch wrong. This is the only set up I am confident of that's lighter than my SMD Lunar.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-06-2006, 08:39
Mine is homemade and similar to that described - I have snaps on the front and back ower hem to get them up / out of the way for climbing.

dbs
11-06-2006, 22:22
Thanks for the information. I'm after something to protect me and my pack so a poncho it will be. Thanks again. Dave

Two Speed
11-06-2006, 22:27
Dang..no ones mentioned the packa yet?Nope. JetBoils and hammocks haven't come up yet, either.