PDA

View Full Version : Who is Tom Leonard?

Robusto
11-06-2006, 09:35
Who is Tom Leonard? There is a lean-to named after him in Mass. and I can't seem to find any history about him on the web.

R

Blue Jay
11-06-2006, 10:46
Who is Tom Leonard? There is a lean-to named after him in Mass. and I can't seem to find any history about him on the web.

R

There is a very nice little Bio about him in the shelter. I suggest you walk here and read it. It's a very nice shelter and well worth the trip.

lobster
11-06-2006, 11:17
Tom Sawyer's brother

Ender
11-06-2006, 11:20
I wonder if it's named after the Scottish poet by the same name? That would be my guess...

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2006, 17:13
Actually, I know of a couple of other Tom Leonards.

First off, Tommy Leonard was the bartender for a zillion years at the old Eliot Lounge in the Back Bay in Boston. We all know what a sports bar is like; now imagine one devoted to long-distance running. In the the world of runners, especially those associated with the Boston Marathon, this place was absolutely legendary. I used to go here back in the day before I got too fat to run, and it was a fantastic place to knock a few back. (It was also conveniently yards from my apartment which came in handy on the occasions I overstayed my visits).

But the REALLY legender Tom Leonard is found here in Hanover; he's the co-owner of Five Olde Nugget Alley restaurant and tavern in the center of town. He's a great guy, runs a great place, is a wonderful friend to hikers, and bears the cross of being one of my best friends.

He also deserves to have a shelter built in his honor, preferably one with a good kitchen and a full beverage license!!

max patch
11-06-2006, 17:31
Tom "long Ways" Leonard thru'd in 1985. Passed away 1986. 1987 Philosophers Guide was dedicated to him.

Lugnut
11-06-2006, 17:37
Finally, someone gave and honest answer to Robusto's legitimate question. Way to go. :cool:

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2006, 17:41
Lugnut:

Were you born with a naturally sour disposition or do you just seem to enjoy life more that way?

If you were that concerned with answering the original question, well YOU could have done it yourself, instead of criticizing others.

Way to go. :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
11-06-2006, 17:53
The Tom Leonard shelter was brand new for the 1988 hiking season. It apparently replaced the Forgotten Bridge lean-to which you probably don't remember. ;) What you will remember is the walk down to the really cold water source and the climb back up to the shelter.

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2006, 17:58
It's actually a pretty cool spot. Great big shelter, some cool campsites. However, the water is a bit of a walk, and worse, for most NOBO's, Tom Leonard is one of the three or four most mosquito-infested shelters on the entire Trail; if you get there in late July or early August like most folks, you wil NOT want to sleep in the shelter unless your idea of a good time is getting eaten.

refreeman
11-06-2006, 20:46
Finally, someone gave and honest answer to Robusto's legitimate question. Way to go. :cool:
Right on Lugnet. Thanks Max Patch.

Lugnut
11-06-2006, 22:05
Lugnut:

Were you born with a naturally sour disposition or do you just seem to enjoy life more that way?

If you were that concerned with answering the original question, well YOU could have done it yourself, instead of criticizing others.

No, I wasn't being sour. I just thought it was a reasonable question and it would have been nice for someone to answer it. I would have
been glad to but I had no idea who Tom Leonard was. It's called common courtesy. ;)

Lone Wolf
11-06-2006, 22:45
Jack feels a need to berate anyone of lesser calibre than he. You lugnut, don't measure up. Jack is the website know-it-all. trail god.:)

Lugnut
11-07-2006, 00:22
Hey, I'm 5'11". :banana

Sly
11-07-2006, 00:53
Jack beat me to the 1st Tom Leonard, I don't know any others... I wonder if he remembers, or went to, the Bull 'n Finch Pub, not too far away. Great dart bar before.... ? (anyone know?)

SGT Rock
11-07-2006, 01:23
Lugnut:

Right on Lugnet. Thanks Max Patch.

Jack feels a need to berate anyone of lesser calibre than he. You lugnut, don't measure up. Jack is the website know-it-all. trail god.:)

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King (1992)

lobster
11-07-2006, 10:29
Rodney King, what a loser!!