PDA

View Full Version : whisperlite intl stove

josh litt
11-06-2006, 09:43
Hey folks,

Planning for a winter get up on the va trail and possibly nc as well. Just purchased a used whisperlite. However the pump is of the older variety and im more aquainted with the new ones, can anybody tell me the diffrence beween the two pumps in general, and if i should go ahead an purchase the new pump to bring along with me. Thank in advance

- josh litt

moondoggy
11-06-2006, 11:10
Hey Josh:
I'm not sure if this will help you or not.....I purchased a new Whisperlite Int'l this year.....wife and I were out for four days. I had some problems with the "new" version of the pump. I found I had to lube mine to or else it was pretty difficult to pump after a few days of use.

I would suggest that you at least purchase the maintenance kit and carry it along....or a spare

Toolshed
11-06-2006, 12:20
josh, Do you have the older red pump with the 2-piece collar assembly? that was popular in the late 80's early 90's. They then switched to a red one picec, IIRC and then to a black one-piece assembly. If you had the older assembly and it broke (mine have several times in sub-zero winter trips) MSR replaced them for free.

PM me if you'd like and I'd be glad to explain the pump assembly.

guthook
11-06-2006, 21:07
I've used both the new and the old type pumps, and after a while they seem about the same. I always carry the little tool and a little bottle of that pump cup oil stuff with the stove and pump, because the best part is that they're really easy to clean while you're out. I'd recommend just getting to know the pump before you leave your house... take it apart and put it back together a few times and once you get that part down there aren't many problems with either type of pump.
Unless you drop them on pavement from high up, or step on them. Not that I've done that... ;)