PDA

View Full Version : To THRUHIKE or NOT? Need Advice?

Puzzled
11-06-2006, 10:09
Ok, here is the deal. I was already to begin a thru hike from Springer in March 05, job opportunity came up and met a new girl, postponed the hike. Started new job in April and lasted 6 weeks, quit job and moved in with girlfriend. At this point, thinking of doing flip flop from Harpers, postponed since I felt my heart was not in and I wanted to go S to N. So, got a new job in august 05 and have been there until now. New job pays a lot more than previous jobs but still not completely happy. Anyway, about two weeks ago I got the fever again. I am 31, college degree, 7 years finance experience. Should I just go and hike and get it out of my system? Will it ever leave unless I try? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2006, 10:23
The old saying "life is short" is so true. Just do it.

Ender
11-06-2006, 10:25
If you hike and love it, you'll never get it out of your system.

This isn't exactly an un-biased crowd you're asking here... we're all hikers. Most of us will tell you to just go hike it, myself included. You can always get another job. I say do it.

If you're asking this crowd, who obviously are going to lean towards telling you to do it, it clearly means that you really want to do it and are just looking for support and legitimization of your desire to go hiking. You already know what you want to do, you're looking for the OK to do it from someone. Just do it, you don't need our, or anyone's, OK (except perhaps the girlfriend, though if she's a good person she would understand, even if she doesn't like it).

So, you decide. It won't kill you to try, though it will make certain things harder in your life (job, $$$, girl), it will also make certain things better in your life (life, hopefully girl)... You decide if it's worth the effort, risk, trouble, money... we really can't know, except to say whether it was worth it for us, or not.

It was worth it for me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, given half a chance.

Welcome to the forum!

highway
11-06-2006, 10:44
I sure agree with the above poster...this is not the place to ask that question.

if its any help, here is what mark Twain would tell you:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ....Mark Twain

chris
11-06-2006, 10:48
I wouldn't worry about the job, as those should be easy for you to pick up again. However, seriously consider whether or not going for the hike is more important than being with the woman. While things may work out for you on that end, they might not. You're going to have to be sure one way or the other before you leave.

Grampie
11-06-2006, 10:56
Life is very short and the older you get, the shorter it is.
A lot of folks who plan a thru have issues that have to be delt with, before they start. It becomes part of the experience of a thru. Getting everything in order before You depart.
In my estimation, the less you tie yourself, to the real world, the more you will enjoy your hike.
Doing a thru, at your age, will give you plenty of time to plan the rest of your life. One thing about a thru. It gives you plenty of time to think things out.
My advise, along with everyone else, is to go. Happy trails along the way.:sun

Footslogger
11-06-2006, 10:59
Life is very short and the older you get, the shorter it is.
A lot of folks who plan a thru have issues that have to be delt with, before they start. It becomes part of the experience of a thru. Getting everything in order before You depart.
In my estimation, the less you tie yourself, to the real world, the more you will enjoy your hike.
Doing a thru, at your age, will give you plenty of time to plan the rest of your life. One thing about a thru. It gives you plenty of time to think things out.
My advise, along with everyone else, is to go. Happy trails along the way.:sun
=================================

Couldn't have said it better ...

Hit the trail !!

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
11-06-2006, 11:06
The logistics are part of the process.. It was the hardest part for me..

Webs
11-06-2006, 11:10
Seems like a thru would be the ultimate test for your relationship--if you go on a thru and you stay together, then the relationship has proven its potential for longevity. If you go on a thru and the relationship doesn't last, it probably would not have lasted a lifetime anyway; at least this way you know!

Mountain Maiden
11-06-2006, 11:12
My ONLY regret about my thru-hike is that I did not do it earlier in life!

The experience, the friends I made, the things I learned about myself, etc., were all great rewards. But, I think I may have handled LIFE differently if I had hiked in my early years. I envy the 'kids' that do it in their 20's!

Then again, I also believe whatever is meant to be --will be. SO, all in all--it was just right!

I'd go again in a heartbeat! :banana

Sunrise :sun

Puzzled
11-06-2006, 11:42
Ender,
I think you hit the nail right on the head with your response. For some reason, I think i am looking for someone's approval. It sure would be alot easier if someone said "sure" go ahead and go. I am pretty confident i can get a job when i get back, the girl will stay with me while hiking, and I will at least have a place to stay when I get back (girlfriend, sister,parents). I guess I am too brainwashed by the corporate/real world looking at this as an excuse to not work etc... I know the decision is mine, just need some help making the final commitment and quitting work etc. Thanks for everyone's responses, they are very inspirational.

Footslogger
11-06-2006, 11:48
I guess I am too brainwashed by the corporate/real world looking at this as an excuse to not work etc... I know the decision is mine, just need some help making the final commitment and quitting work etc. Thanks for everyone's responses, they are very inspirational.
======================================

Just so you know Puzzled ...the older you get the deeper those corporate claws tend to stick in your conscience. I walked away from a so-called "good paying" job at 53 and I had a lot of misgivings. Seemed irresponsible at the time but sure glad I listened to the voice that said ..."take a hike"

'Slogger

Gaiter
11-06-2006, 11:59
this is corny but true, FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!!
your heart is a big part of having a sucessfull hike. If this hike is what you need to do right now then do it!!!

Doctari
11-06-2006, 12:28
I say no, don't hike. :eek:

Not because I believe it, but someone has to say it. :p

You did indeed come to the wrong place, as you can see, except for my bogus "Don't hike" all here are (in effect) telling you TO hike.

If you want to keep the job: ask for a leave of absence.
If you want to keep the girl: ask her to come along.
If you want to keep the __________: GET OVER IT & GO HIKING.

If you can go hiking, go!

FWIW: I wish I had listened to my own advice when I was your age, or younger. You can never go back & hike at the age you are now if you don't go now. Im 52 now, I can NEVER do a thru hike at age 31 now. Sounds simlple I know, painfully obvious even, but it is something to think about nevertheless.

Yep, you asked the wrong people this question :D

Boat Drinks
11-06-2006, 12:39
if its any help, here is what mark Twain would tell you:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ....Mark Twain

Very cool, I used this in a graduation speach last year!:sun

chief
11-06-2006, 14:56
good luck with being completely happy with any job! ideally, a job should help you gain happiness in your future. you know, so when you get old you don't have to work in a mcdonalds or conjure up some phony disability to make ends meet, like so many of my contemporaries. personally, i put in my years and now (in my mid 50s) i have the wherewithall to do whatever i please. that's happiness dude!

then again, it's only six months out of your life and you seem uncertain as to where your life is headed, so go for it! the girl can wait.

Dancer
11-06-2006, 15:14
Do it! Who knows how long any of us have left?? If the girl loves you she'll be there when you get back and the job... well work to live, don't live to work!! DO IT while you still can!!

max patch
11-06-2006, 15:22
Easier to do it now without a mortgage and kids.

When we decided it was time to start a family I quit my job and got my thru out of way. I'm in the minority here - this subject has come up in the past - but I think the responsibility of raising kids is much more important than leaving them for 6 months to take a fantastic vacation.

Jim Adams
11-06-2006, 15:51
Go! Go And Don't Stop!

emerald
11-06-2006, 16:07
WhiteBlaze.net is not a bad place to ask your question.:p Many people here and most respondants have pondered this issue themselves.

I say if you continue to want to thru-hike the A.T., this is something that you may benefit from getting out of your system. It may be a good idea to see if you can do this and thus satisfy your curiosity now while you are still young and before you find yourself in a position that makes doing so more difficult. Many attempt a thru-hike, but far less succeed. Are you prepared to accept that possible outcome?

Hiking the A.T. doesn't lead to a hiking addiction. Repeat thru-hikes are a personal choice and not inevitible or necessarily desireable.

Alternatively, you could use your vacation time to section-hike the A.T. over many years and maybe have the best of both worlds. A thru-hike is just one way, the fastest, to become a 2000 Miler. It is not necessarily the best. Testing the water first rather than plunging in head-first might not be a bad idea.

The Weasel
11-06-2006, 16:20
I think you make a mistake to ask us whether you should go, or stay. Either way, you will get advice that will later distress you, and perhaps break your heart, if you follow it. And you will then wonder, "Should I have taken the advice?" And you will be back to where you are now, but with a choice taken, and one that you will already be living with.

My advice? Look in the mirror. Decide who you are. Talk with the woman in your life, and consider what is important to you. Not to people on a forum you've never met. And then, make your decision. Whatever it is, it will be one that is right for you.

But first, read this:

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/world_civ_reader/world_civ_reader_2/frost_road.html

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2006, 16:45
Some very good advice so far.

It made me think of a friend who recently decided to quit a career track job, go back to school, pursue a degree in something he really loves, and start his professional life all over again.

He had all sorts of reservations, and basically said: "If I do this, I'll have effectively wasted about seven years of previous education; I'll be turning my back on a great job; I don't know what I'll find for work when I'm done; I'll exhaust most of my savings paying for school and may well end up in debt, and by the time I graduate I'll be almost forty. Is this the right thing to do?"

I told him that he should do what's best for him, that there will always be work, that his previous investment in education and work is worthless if he doesn't enjoy what he's presently doing, and lastly, I asked him, "Well how old will you be in four years if you DON'T do this?"

In other words, I agree with the writer above who said that in later life, we all too often have regrets for what we DIDN'T do. At the end of the day, there aren't many folks who say "All in all, I wish I'd spent more time in the office!"

Over the past 12 years, I've met thousands of folks who've told me they've always dreamed of thru-hiking the Trail, and of course, most of them end up NOT making the hike. On the other hand, I've been lucky enough to meet thousands who DID re-arrange their lives in order to pursue this dream, and I can't honestly recall ANY who later regretted having done so.

So I think you should go for it.

Let us know what you decide to do, and if you decide to proceed,and if you need any help, advice, anything at all that might help your plans and preparation, well, you've come to the right place.

Best of luck to you.

Chris_Asheville
11-06-2006, 17:13
I have considered a thru-hike over the past few years and find it harder and harder to get away from life and everything and everyone that depends on things from me.
First things first.. WORK! Having a car payment, credit cards and anything else that requires monthly payments have to either paid up front or given to a responsible person to take care of that for you. If you have any pets, you're going to have to find someone to take care of them while you are gone.
To me, the thru-hike is the ultimate adventure. I think it would strengthen your personality, endurance and self-discipline. I just wish it wasn't soo hard to disappear from society for nearly half of a year.
Oh, and my gf told me she would break up with me if I made the trip.!
Goodluck with your decision and do it if you can! I may have to hike it in sections....

Disney
11-06-2006, 17:16
I've been lucky enough to meet thousands who DID re-arrange their lives in order to pursue this dream, and I can't honestly recall ANY who later regretted having done so.

I would bet that's probably true not just for successful thrus but for the vast majority of unsuccessful ones too.

Okie Dokie
11-06-2006, 18:22
The older one gets the more life gets in the way of living...go now...just commit to it and go...if you're one of the 10% that make it each year you'll count it as one of the top 5 experiences of your life, guaranteed...heck, you'll learn a lot about yourself even if you start and don't even make it out of Georgia...go...jobs and houses come and go and you'll probably find that as you get older you can't even remember the telephone numbers from places you used to live....your girlfriend, if she really has some insight into who you really are and wants the best for you (as defined by you), will want you to go...maybe she could go with you, or handle your maildrops, or meet you along the trail?...

jmaclennan
11-06-2006, 19:55
doctari funny.

(resisting the urge to use all caps below)

puzzled, listen to these people! just go to georgia next spring and start hiking north. don't have any expectations. just do it. you'll have some answers in a few weeks. you have to get out and start hiking first. you must go!!! it's a moral imperative!!!

Jim Adams
11-06-2006, 21:40
making the decision is the hard part. i have no regrets from the very first time that i let go and left society. it was a difficult time and the actual deed took me nearly 2 years to act upon but once you let go, you learn so much more from life. but be warned! the second time and all those after will not be a hard decision. i decided to do my second thru hike in 8 hours and it only took that long because i had to wait for everyone else to wake in the morning to tell them that i was leaving. i was actually packed in 2 hours.
geek

A-Train
11-06-2006, 23:20
You may walk it out of your system-maybe not. I'd say this site is mainly comprised of folks who've caught the bug and can't swallow it. Some folks are repeat offenders, many of us are folks who've hiked once and obviously can't stop talking about it, and many others here with dreams of hiking the whole thing, who also can't stop thinking about it (like Rock and Troll). You take a major chance that you might find something you really love to do (like hiking!). It's certainly changed the course of my life and has made me re-evalute priorities (and confuse me a lot).

Lastly realize, we here are the addicted ones. I have plently of thru-hiker friends that did walk the desire out of them. They got to Katahdin, took off their boots and never looked back or logged on to Whiteblaze.net. A lot of them are working, in school or pursuing other dreams. There is so much else out there besides the AT, though sometimes nothing better!

tarheel
11-07-2006, 10:05
" Life is what happens while you are busy making plans " has been attributed to both of those well known but diverse hikers John Lennon and Tommy Smothers ( all you readers who have seen less than 500 moons just google the name ). Relationships and jobs are not guaranteed to last forever but the experience of hiking the AT will......that solace got me thru the next several decades of the aforementioned. It is in your act that you exist, not in your body, Your act is yourself. Each second of life represents an opportunity, not knowing where the path you take will end and where the paths you miss might have gone. Ah, the mystery of the journey!
And to borrow from Goethe 's Concerning Acts of Creation: " Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin IT now ". The instant made eternity. And it will be easy to smile.

the goat
11-07-2006, 10:28
" Life is what happens while you are busy making plans " has been attributed to both of those well known but diverse hikers John Lennon and Tommy Smothers ( all you readers who have seen less than 500 moons just google the name ). Relationships and jobs are not guaranteed to last forever but the experience of hiking the AT will......that solace got me thru the next several decades of the aforementioned. It is in your act that you exist, not in your body, Your act is yourself. Each second of life represents an opportunity, not knowing where the path you take will end and where the paths you miss might have gone. Ah, the mystery of the journey!
And to borrow from Goethe 's Concerning Acts of Creation: " Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin IT now ". The instant made eternity. And it will be easy to smile.

excellent post, tarheel!!!:sun

Wanderingson
11-07-2006, 10:36
Here is a little thought to ponder.

This is an extract from a 1938 edition of the magazine called "American Forests" It was authored by Sigurd Olson when he was 39 years old.

The article full article is titled "Why Wilderness".

"In some men, the need of unbroken country, primitive conditions and intimate contact with the earth is a deeply rooted cancer gnawing forever at the illusion of contentment with things as they are. For months or years this hidden longing may go unnoticed and then, without warning, flare forth in an all consuming passion that will not bear denial. Perhaps it is the passing of a flock of wild geese in the spring, perhaps the sound of running water, or the smell of thawing earth that brings the transformation. Whatever it is, the need is more than can be borne with fortitude, and for the good of their families and friends, and their own particular restless souls, they head toward the last frontiers and escape."

Enjoy--and I certainly hopes this helps you make this decision.

Footslogger
11-07-2006, 10:41
This thread is proving to be fascinating ...

'Slogger

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 10:42
I'll differ here. If you have to ask others if you should hike the trail or not, then maybe you shouldn't. I mean, I didn't have to ask anyone. I knew what I wanted to do, even though it was financial suicide. No regrets.

The Weasel offers some good advice in post #21. Good luck on your decision.

Footslogger
11-07-2006, 11:03
[quote=MOWGLI16;267575]I'll differ here. If you have to ask others if you should hike the trail or not, then maybe you shouldn't.
=====================================

I hear ya Mowgli ...but it is said that "even eagles need a push". Like you, I didn't need help deciding to hike the trail, but at times leading up to my departure date I did have some doubts and the inspiration and encouragement from others was welcome.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 11:23
I hear ya Mowgli ...but it is said that "even eagles need a push". Like you, I didn't need help deciding to hike the trail, but at times leading up to my departure date I did have some doubts and the inspiration and encouragement from others was welcome.

'Slogger

Not trying to be discouraging Slogger. Just being real.

Krewzer
11-07-2006, 11:29
...I was already to begin a thru hike from Springer in March 05 postponed the hike.
...I wanted to go S to N.
...So, got a new job in august 05 but still not completely happy.
...about two weeks ago I got the fever again.
...Should I just go and hike and get it out of my system? .

Ender,
It sure would be alot easier if someone said "sure" go ahead and go..

OK...here's the deal from the AARP corner and since you've reminded me of John Prine's song "Dear Abbey", here goes....

"Sure go ahead and go" for Christ Sake. We heard you the first time, "Get it out of your system." What are you waiting for? You've been saying you're going for years now. GO!!!

You're 31. You're educated. You're feverish. It's in your head and won't go away. You're hanging around White Blaze and other hiking websites all the time. You're nervous. You're skittish. You're worried. You are making yourself a little crazy.

GO!!! Put all that crap in the pack, buy food, put your boots on, catch a ride and go. Just shut up and "Go." Your load will get lighter within weeks. "Go."

No flip-flopping. I don't want to hear you so much as whisper the "F" word again. "GO!!!" Contrary to what the little voice in your head is saying, "do not" go to jail, "do" pass Go and collect the $200. "GO!"

What's with the "Alot Easier" talk??? Enough already, It won't be a bit easier getting from Georgia to Maine, just because somebody said "...'sure' go ahead and go." But, you really don't want it to be, do you?
"GOOooooo!!!"

Got the picture?:D
"Final answer and quote from Sgt Rock, "No snivelling,"

http://www.uppercutmusic.com/artist_j/john_prine_lyrics/dear_abbey_lyrics.html

Ender
11-07-2006, 11:43
Puzzled,

I totally understand what you mean. I will say it's something that very few of the people who do decide to do it ever regret.

Krewzer,

Nice Prine reference!

STEVEM
11-07-2006, 12:18
Benjamin, Listen very carefully, I'll say this only once: PLASTICS.

Think about that while you're hiking.

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 12:35
Ender,
I am pretty confident i can get a job when i get back, the girl will stay with me while hiking, and I will at least have a place to stay when I get back (girlfriend, sister,parents). I guess I am too brainwashed by the corporate/real world looking at this as an excuse to not work etc... I know the decision is mine, just need some help making the final commitment and quitting work etc. Thanks for everyone's responses, they are very inspirational.

Just curious, but why do you need an "excuse not to work?"
If you have the funds and no oustanding obligations, why the guilt? What is the root of your concern?

Puzzled
11-09-2006, 10:26
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it has been very helpful. I have already talked to my HR department about time off but the decision is basically going to come down to my Director. I need to make the decision before I present the idea to him in case he denies my request. I realized the other day that based on some of my past advenutres, backpacking europe 6 weeks, climbing Mt. Fuji, Maryland challenge, that I am being a bit of a puss about this whole thing. I guess that is what has me more perplexed than anything. I had no problem telling my first post college job I wanted six weeks off or else, but then again i was only 24. Anyway, I think things are headed in the right direction. We will see.

Footslogger
11-09-2006, 10:32
[quote=Puzzled;268776]I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it has been very helpful. I have already talked to my HR department about time off but the decision is basically going to come down to my Director.
========================================

May not be true in your case but when I was in the same position I prepared myself for the NO answer from the boss. I was prepared to WALK (literally and figuratively) when I popped the question. And yes ...it gets rougher to pull off things like this as you get older.

Good luck to you ...

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 10:41
I need to make the decision before I present the idea to him in case he denies my request. I realized the other day that based on some of my past advenutres, backpacking europe 6 weeks, climbing Mt. Fuji, Maryland challenge, that I am being a bit of a puss about this whole thing. I guess that is what has me more perplexed than anything. I had no problem telling my first post college job I wanted six weeks off or else, but then again i was only 24.

"Puss" is maybe too strong a charaterization (and hey, while we're on the subject, the word is kind of a slam to females, but I digress). It's simply huiman nature to project into the future,and most of what we come up with is dire.

I think you're being very honest with yourself. The long, slow slide into slavery is rarely examined. Very few end up peeking behind the curtains. Good for you for your questions and openess.

Maybe, should you choose to hike, you'll envision some way to work for yourself upon your return. :)

Whatever you choose, best of luck.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 10:43
Not trying to sound negative but...

Lets face it, and has been pointed out, a hike only takes about 6 months. And has been acknowledged - greater than half the people that start one don't even make it...

So before you sell the house, quit your job, sell the furniture, put the cat up for adoption, and quit your degree... Think about it.

If you go and are successful - It will still have to end someday. If you are not successful, and you burned all your bridges back home with everyone, your school, your job, and your stuff, then you have damaged all that for very little return. And given the odds, that is LIKELY to happen.

If you want certain things out of life or have people in your life that have expectations of you, then chucking all that for a hike could be a bad way to continue that goal of something else you want or hurt the relationship with someone else in your life.

And those mountains have been there for a long time. That trail hasn't been there as long, but it is older than you or I. Chances are very good it will still be there later. Just because it doesn't work for you now doesn't mean it never will.

So in general (not specifically you) use some caution before you drop everything to hike. After all, it will still be there tomorrow.

Jim Adams
11-09-2006, 11:15
sgt rock,
never looked at it that way...good advice.
geek

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 11:39
So before you sell the house, quit your job, sell the furniture, put the cat up for adoption, and quit your degree... Think about it.

And just to balance the picture, as one who has "sold the house, quit the job" (let go of the rare, primo property where I lived and ran my horse business), "sold the furniture" (gave it away or storage), "placed the cat up for adoption" (or placed with pet-loving friends)...

you can buy or lease a new house, get all new furniture or "craigslist/freecycle" for used stuff, get a new job or start a new business, go back to school, etc.

The "thing stuff" is workable and replaceable.
Relationships may be another matter, and that's up to each individual as how to handle the situation.

Bottom line, there's a price to be paid for every choice. The question to ask it: how badly do I want this hike? And what does this journey represent to me - what's underneath this urge?

Once you're clear on the answers, it's easy to decide whether to go or not.

Fair warning: Even if you're crystal clear on the cost/benefit end, you may still be plagued with doubts up till the day your walk off Springer. Our minds are not built to let us off the hook. :)

Grinds
11-09-2006, 11:45
You have nothing to lose if you make the attempt. I quit my job after only being there for a year and a half and after I was done, they offered it back to me. Couldn't believe it. I hate the job, but it's only money for a future trip. Good luck.

Jim Adams
11-09-2006, 12:02
1989, bad end to a good, long relationship. sold everything and walked away into a 13 month long trip. 2002 i sold my van, my furniture, part of my motorcycle collection (didn't have enough storage space) and walked away. still have the same job now, still have all of the bikes that mattered, have a new address and a new van. will probably go thru it all over again with my '07 thru of the PCT. doesn't matter however there are no relationships to consider or worry over. i don't have any problems just walking away from my daily life but i still think that sgt. rock's advice is very wise for most hikers new to thru hiking.
geek

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 12:12
Well I figure it was something that ought to be said when most people were saying throw caution to the wind and go for it. That does have it's time and place too.

But it amazes me how you hear stories every year of people that do this sort of thing and have also never hiked before. Seems like if you were going to leave your girlfriend, quit your job, sell your house, and give away everything to go hike, you might want to find out if you even like hiking.

Jim Adams
11-09-2006, 12:17
so true, so true! i had hiked a total of 3 days prior to walking away for 13 months! i had good outdoor skills and alot of wilderness canoeing under my belt. it changed my life and was possibly the greatest decision of my life. i'll never regret it but it probably was very stupid the way i went about it!
geek

handlebar
11-10-2006, 01:52
Puzzled,

It is all too easy to just say, do it. But, it's all a question about what you want from life. What are your priorities? I can tell you that it will be a lot easier on your body to thruhike as a 31 year old than it was for me as a 61 year old. It will also be easier to go before you have the responsibilities of a wife and family if those are among your priorities. It will be easier before you're much further along in your career. While it's relatively easy to change jobs in ones 30's, my experience is that it becomes more difficult as one gets older. About the only 40/50-somethings out on the trail this year were men retiring from the military or in high demand professions.

My desire to be fit enough for active pursuits (backpacking, skiing) after I retired helped me keep fit enough while I waited for a time in my life less complicated by the responsibilities of a wife, children and the career needed to support family life. Having a family and a partnership with my wife were my priorities. The career and job were a means to an end. I got my outdoor fix with 2-week backpack trips now and then, hoping eventually that I'd be healthy enough and have the financial security to retire young enough to do some of the things I had put off. I'm truly fortunate that I could step out of the squirrel cage and follow my dream for 6 months. I don't regret waiting, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer:).

You sound as if you seriously want to do this. Your life seems relatively uncomplicated. Your girlfriend is supportive---if she's not, she's probably not the right person for you. I detect a tone of regret that you didn't hike instead of taking that job. If you think you'll have regrets, then I say go ahead and hike now. Those regrets will interfere with your professional and personal life down the road.

hopefulhiker
11-10-2006, 08:44
Another option is to go work for Whole Foods. An article in Backpacker magazined talks about how the president of Whole Foods is a thru hiker and his company even allows some long time employees to take six month leaves to go thru hike the trail.. I think it would be great if other companies did this. It would be sort of like a reward for loyal employees of many years.. What am I thinking? Of course in this day and age companies are lucky to have someone around for six months....

Heater
11-10-2006, 09:03
Get it out of your system before you get suuucked into the system.

Maybe if you do it now, you will gain enough insight to avoid that second part.

ASUGrad
11-10-2006, 10:57
Do a two week section hike. If you find you hate it, don't do a thruhike.

Puzzled
11-13-2006, 10:01
This has been a great thread with plenty of good advice, suggestions to hike as well as reevaluate and possibly go later. I am still on the fence right now but leaning toward going. I do want to hike but just can't pull the trigger. I guess what it comes down to is that if I never try I will never know and it is also alot easier to hike at 31 then 51, given lack of current responsibilites etc. In any event, I have talked to my HR dept but it will ultimately comd dowm to my boss. Do you think I need to have the decision made, decision to go or stay, before I go and present my request? I was thinking I could go in and present the idea to my director and see how he reacts.

Jim Adams
11-13-2006, 10:10
definitly make the decision BEFORE you go to your boss. if the answer is not hiking, why ask? if you make up your mind and decide, yes i am hiking, your boss may not agree but he will respect you more and no matter what he says, you already have YOUR answer.
geek

chickadee
11-13-2006, 15:46
Don't know if you have made a decision yet, but I will say: Thru-hike. I am pissed that I only did from PA --> ME this year. You need the full experience of the whole trail, all at once. Drop everything and do it. It's worth it.

The only thing that makes me happy that I didn't finish the entire trail this year is that I have another half to hike!

Chickadee

mweinstone
11-13-2006, 16:55
hike or die fatty.

Third Times A Charm
11-28-2006, 12:22
Puzzled;

There is a reason my trail name is Third Times a Charm. I went to Georgia in 1993 lasted to Hawk Mountain, not because I didn't have desire, I was physically not prepared. I came back in 1994 and once again realized I still wasn't ready. Ended up hiking the C&O Canal from DC to Cumberland, MD, to see if the Long distant hiking was my thing. In 1997, I hiked Georgia and had severe tendenitis, went home to California for rehab, came back in May and hiked from Harpers Ferry to Hanover. I'm hiking this year 10 years later, because my experience of hiking the trail change me the person. I have never been the same and would not want it any other way.

Take a deep breathe go for a long weekend hike and decide. I no longer am a pawn to corporate structure. But I have found the hike was a profound spiritual experience for me.

SillyGirl
11-28-2006, 17:38
In reality, you probably know deep down what you really want to do, its just a matter of admitting it to yourself. Do YOU want to go or not?

Appalachian Tater
11-28-2006, 18:09
It certainly won't get any easier the older you get. You may thru-hike when you're 45 and say to yourself, "Boy, this would have been a lot easier ten years ago."