PDA

View Full Version : SoBo advice needed

Miss Janet
11-06-2006, 11:36
I have a SoBo here needing a little advice/encouragement/opinions etc....

This hiker would like to finish the trail at Springer in 12 days...

Can they do it? Should they try? Why or why not???

Your comments are all welcome.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2006, 11:41
About 30 miles a day. What's the rush? There's some real nice spots to enjoy between Erwin and Springer.

RITBlake
11-06-2006, 11:45
Sure he can do it, but why would you want to. LW is right, slow down and enjoy the last couple weeks of your hike.

Miss Janet
11-06-2006, 11:46
They want to be home for Thanksgiving. Moma will be much happier if they make it home. I, of course, don't want them to try to kill themselves or ruin the last part of thier hike.

RITBlake
11-06-2006, 11:48
Well at this point physically it's doable. It's just not going to be very fun especially with the days getting shorter and shorter. Of course moma will be happier with hiker back in the nest, but hiker won't be happy when he twists an ankle or takes a bad fall at the end of his 4th or 5th consecutive 30 mile day. If this hiker has been a high mileage guy the whole trip then I guess it's not a problem

khaynie
11-06-2006, 11:51
It can be done but why? You're almost finished. Savor the flavor. Like L. Wolf said, there are some nice spots between Mrs Janets and the finish line. With only (approx) 337 miles left you can do 20's easy while enjoying the last few days. 20 mile days only tack another 4-5 days on. It'll be over before you know it - then you'll be trying to figure out how to get back out there.

Gaiter
11-06-2006, 11:54
why not take their time, enjoy the next 12 days, go home for thanksgiving, then come back to finish and get rid of the extra thanksgiving weight

Footslogger
11-06-2006, 11:55
Where's "HOME" ?? Maybe the family could meet them on/near the trail for some turkey and fixins and then they could continue on their way.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
11-06-2006, 12:09
Since the reason to blast thru the rest of the trail is to go home to eat a meal, then I say no. Don't speed up. Slow down. Enjoy the southern Appalachians. Have mom freeze some leftovers.

ARambler
11-06-2006, 12:16
Sure he can do it, but why would you want to. LW is right, slow down and enjoy the last couple weeks of your hike.

No, he/they cannot do it.

3) Days are getting shorter and colder, making it psychologically harder to get up and put in big miles.

2) Allowing 2 travel days, Thanksgiving is still 15 days away. If they can't count how can we count on them hiking?

1) I have met SOBO's who ask stupid questions before their hike and I have met SOBO's who could do this at the end of their hike, but I have not heard of a SOBO who could do this that and would be taking the advice of a bunch of WB'ers. Can you imagine LW posting: "Squeeky wants to know if he can hike 40 miles today???" :rolleyes:
Rambler

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2006, 17:03
There are very few hikers who could do a dozen back-to-back 30 mile days on the A.T.

And there are none who would enjoy it.

Your hiker will enjoy a lot more Thanksgivings, but in all likelihod, will not thru-hike again. He can either make his Mom happy or he can kill himself in order to be home for the holiday, and in the process, in years to come, he will NOT look back fondly towards the closing days of his hike, because it'll be the most miserable two weeks of his life.

He should take whatever time is necessary so he can complete his hike so that he enjoys it to the fullest and so that in years to come, he has nothing but good memories of this. His mother has been without him for months; certainly, by now she understands what his trip means to him, so she should certainly be willing to wait a few weeks to greet him at home.

The average American eats around 18 pounds of Turkey a year, it's not like we only get one chance a year to chow down. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for Mom to re-do another Thanksgiving dinner for him when he gets home......having a "second" Thanksgiving isn't such an odd thing to do; at Billville, we've done it for years, getting together for a kickass dinner the week AFTER the Holiday, and it's always been a great success.

Seriously, Janet, tell this kid to call his Mom, tell her he loves her, and that he'll see her at home in about four weeks. (And as far as her concern about what he's gonna do for Thanksgiving, well he can get to Franklin, and then come back up to YOUR place for dinner, which is where I wish I could be).

Let us know what happens.....

rickb
11-06-2006, 20:32
Tell him that his mind has gone to mush and he isn't capable of thinking straight.

And that this happens to all SOBOs around this time of year.

Also tell him that his mother will take far greater pleasure talking about his completed hike to her girl friends in the years to come, than she could possibly have trying to fatten him up over a single long weekend.

Tell him to buy a can a cranberry sauce and box of stove top and stop sniveling.

the goat
11-06-2006, 20:42
thanksgiving on the trail rocks!

my personal style is to move slower towards the end of a thru. soak everything in and experience everything you can. the southern appalachians are breath-taking in late-fall/ early winter: all the leaves are down, so there's no tunnel & you have views that a lot of northbounders don't.

plus think of how liberating it would be to have until christmas to finish!!:-?

Lone Wolf
11-06-2006, 23:04
Rick nailed it, STOP SNIVELING!! Give thanks for what? Raping, pillaging, stealing from the natives? Lotsa boys are in Iraq who ain't gonna make turkey day. God bless THEM. Not SOBOs worrying about momma. :)

A-Train
11-06-2006, 23:10
Gotta agree with the chorus. My last weeks of my hike (tho Nobo) were some of the sweetest memories I have from the trail. I love thanksgiving, but what's missing it one year? Most likely you'll only thru-hike once, so why not make it special? Having to enjoy Max Patch, the Smokies, the Balds, the Natahala's in the middle of 30 mile days doesn't sound all that memorable, but to each their own. Enjoy it and be home for Xmas

freefall
11-06-2006, 23:58
I agree with the everyone else, it can be done but....
I'm in a similar situation. I could go home for Thanksgiving but It would be a breakneck trip and I would not enjoy myself. I am instead going home for Christmas since I can take my time.
No reason to risk injury for a little turkey. Call Mom, tell her you miss her and ask her to save some leftovers for when you do get home. Then wow them all with your trail pictures and stories.

RAT
11-07-2006, 02:12
No way, dont even think about it. Perhaps this SOBO is experiencing some burnout (it happens), feeling homesick, and after all, it IS mama we are talking about. What I wouldnt give for just one more thanksgiving with mine, so I can feel empathy but 30 mile days after the amount of miles that have been put on those feet and legs already is asking for trouble, shin splints, you name it. Not to mention you would miss out on so much the south has to offer which should be the reason for thru hiking to begin with. With all the time, trouble and money invested in doing a thru hike to ruin it at the end for any reason to me is just plain stupid. Obviously it is too far of a drive to go home and then come back ? Too far for them to come and join up with you on the trail for t-day ? I agree with everyone else, explain it to mama, freeze the leftovers or cook it again later and slow way down and enjoy as much of the rest of your trip as possible because when its over and you are going thru the post partum hike syndrome of still sleeping in your bag , cooking on your stove, peeing in the yard, missing the trail and trying to adjust to civilization again, you will wish you were still out there and will regret trying to rush thru this last part. Trust me I have heard it too many times from too many hikers on this. Take this advice and make this truly a trip of a lifetime as Thanksgivings come every yr. thru hikes dont (except for some lol) eat some extra turkey for Christmas instead as you tell of your awesome trip. Let us know of your decision here please. Good luck on whatever you choose as it is your hike.

RAT