PDA

View Full Version : powermax fuel performance???

copythat
11-06-2006, 13:28
i bought a coleman powermax-fueled stove because people were saying it would perform better in the cold, but then i realized nobody was saying HOW much better, or how low it would go, that kind of thing. (gotta learn to shop better.)

anyone have experience with ... powermax/coleman exponent/that weird new coleman adapter for standard iso/butane cans ... and serious low temps? temps that would maybe degrade a standard canister performance?

or other ways to extend canister range? (such as duck taping it to your torso.)

thanks.

RockyTrail
11-06-2006, 16:50
I have one of those (Coleman exponent), and use it for cold weather (and I uses an alky stove in warmer weather). I have used it at 12,000 feet and 30 degrees with no problem at all. Also used it in the low 20s at more moderate altitudes (3000 ft). It works great, lots of heat, no liquid mess and always reliable. You can crush used cans for compact storage.

I use the small can for a weekend trip and the big can for longer trips.
If you really want to keep track of consumption, weigh both a full and empty can on a postal scale. Write the full and empty weight on the bottom of the can with a sharpie (or mark it out and put the remaining weight after each use).

The only consumption data I can give you is that with a 12-man crew at Philmont we used 5.5 large cans cooking for 12 over 10 days (we fixed a common food pot each time). We carried 7 cans and that seemed a comfortable margin. After we got back, another crew with the same setup said they too used exactly 5.5 cans. But for solo cooking, the small can is good for 2-3 weekend trips depending on how much you cook. Your mileage may vary...