PDA

View Full Version : AT Movies/DVD's

trippclark
11-06-2006, 17:51
With the smaller and lighter cameras and the ever improving (and more affordable) video-editing software, quite a few AT related DVD's came out in 2004 and 2005 . . .

2000 Miles to Maine
Trek

Walking With Freedom
Appalachian Impressions
Southbounders

I know that some folks complain that such things only serve to draw more folks to the AT who are not prepared to be there, but I personally have enjoyed all of these and would like to see more.

It is sort of surprising that five movies came out in 2004 and 2005 but none have come out in 2006. Is anyone aware of any new AT DVD's that I have missed or are perhaps in the works?

RockyTrail
11-06-2006, 18:22
Well, I think Lion King (of Walking With Freedom) is currently doing one on the PCT or CT....not AT but should be interesting anyway.

trippclark
11-06-2006, 18:54
Well, I think Lion King (of Walking With Freedom) is currently doing one on the PCT or CT....not AT but should be interesting anyway.

Yes, I am familiar with that one and feel sure I will buy a copy. I also have "Walk" and "Still Walking" about the PCT. My preference is for AT movies. I guess having hiked part of the AT, and wanting very much to hike it more than I am able, the DVD's are the next best thing to being there (but a far distant second).

StarLyte
11-06-2006, 19:20
Yes, I am familiar with that one and feel sure I will buy a copy. I also have "Walk" and "Still Walking" about the PCT. My preference is for AT movies. I guess having hiked part of the AT, and wanting very much to hike it more than I am able, the DVD's are the next best thing to being there (but a far distant second).

Some of us get that jones too :D , so we end up making DVD slideshows with video clips. Lots of fun. Even for the Rucks we produce slideshows from previous years' photos----it's a lot of fun, picking out your music, photos, etc. Clyde is producing another Southern Ruck slideshow. The one he made last year was awesome.

Which gave me the idea to do the same, so I am gathering my photos to be compiled into a DVD slideshow which will play at the upcoming PA Ruck. It will be photos from the past 3 years of PA Rucks. Right now I'm using Pinnacle and Nero. I'm just an amateur. It can be very complicated.

Weathercarrot is a professional-wish I had his talent. He knows just how to add the right music and special effects (transitions) too.

I love AT movies and Walking with Freedom. I love anything with Earl in it too.

Lion King
11-06-2006, 19:38
Thanks ya'll.
Yup, Im still working on this new one, in WA right now about to die of exposure...ready to be home.

You can check out the five clips at the site, as with the Walkingwithfreedom clips, they may or may not appear in any part in the final film, but they are there for free at walkingwithfreedom.com to watch just the same.

I apologize for one thing though, my bud who did the editing left in some swears, and I was trying to avoid that on the website as Kids watch the stuff, and hell, I cursed as a kid too, but well...ya know...some people are too easily offended.
:D

...obviously none here at WB.com though:banana

the goat
11-06-2006, 19:56
Thanks ya'll.
Yup, Im still working on this new one, in WA right now about to die of exposure...ready to be home.

You can check out the five clips at the site, as with the Walkingwithfreedom clips, they may or may not appear in any part in the final film, but they are there for free at walkingwithfreedom.com to watch just the same.

LK, you're still hiking/ moving north on the pct?

dude, enjoyed your clips, they're great. looking forward to the whole thang! peace & be safe.

the goat

StarLyte
11-06-2006, 20:32
I love it when a thru hiker posts here while they're hiking. :sun

Lion King
11-07-2006, 16:49
LK, you're still hiking/ moving north on the pct?

dude, enjoyed your clips, they're great. looking forward to the whole thang! peace & be safe.

the goat

Thanks. I am 'technically' done...as in I cant get back out from where I am.
Roads are washed away, land/mudlsides are everywhere, I am in the middle of "The Storm Of The Century" as they call it with love here.
Well, except for the people who live by the rivers...
I was Doing WA southbound, got right about to 30 Miles South of Snoqaulmie Pass and was overtaken by SNow ice storms and heavy rain and sleet...it hasnt stoped for about 8 days...not for a minute even.

I went out yesterday to try to hike the section by Trout Lake (Goat Rocks) and was turned back by a ranger who told me of the severity of what was coming...and I thought it was bad there already.

Tomorrow I go out to ST Helens with a Bigfoot Investi'gator' to hike a section and search for Bigfoot for a sidebar.

Then away I go, as I have spent over $800 in the last three weeks on hotels...crazy man. But I can only take so much cold constant rain.

the goat
11-08-2006, 12:16
Thanks. I am 'technically' done...as in I cant get back out from where I am.
Roads are washed away, land/mudlsides are everywhere, I am in the middle of "The Storm Of The Century" as they call it with love here.
Well, except for the people who live by the rivers...
I was Doing WA southbound, got right about to 30 Miles South of Snoqaulmie Pass and was overtaken by SNow ice storms and heavy rain and sleet...it hasnt stoped for about 8 days...not for a minute even.

I went out yesterday to try to hike the section by Trout Lake (Goat Rocks) and was turned back by a ranger who told me of the severity of what was coming...and I thought it was bad there already.

Tomorrow I go out to ST Helens with a Bigfoot Investi'gator' to hike a section and search for Bigfoot for a sidebar.

Then away I go, as I have spent over $800 in the last three weeks on hotels...crazy man. But I can only take so much cold constant rain.

cool man, i was wondering how you'd fare with all that flooding.

you're not meeting up w/ squatch are you?

stay safe dude.

Adam Pelletier
11-09-2006, 17:52
Hello All!!!

I know this is an Appalachian Trail site. But If anyone wants to check it out I have some video clips from my 2006 CDT hike. I hope you like them.

http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdtpart1of10.wmv
http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdtpart2of10.wmv
http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdt4.wmv

Ewker
11-22-2006, 16:39
Just an FYI. If you see a movie that you like you can check them out at the library assuming they have it. If not there is this service they offer called Interlibrary. You call them and let them know what you want to see. They will search all the libraries that are in the system to see who has the movie. They will call you when it comes in.
I just got back from picking up Trek and 2000 Miles to Maine.

soccrosse
11-26-2006, 23:34
Adam - Really enjoyed your clips! Do you have any additional vids available? The trail really looks great. How much blazing is there along the trail?

eArThworm
12-04-2006, 12:40
...quite a few AT related DVD's came out in 2004 and 2005 . . . Is anyone aware of any new AT DVD's that I have missed or are perhaps in the works?

Not new in either sense of the word--it's a 2005 production, and it's about an "old" hike: Earl Shaffer Foundation. Walking With Spring. 2005. (DVD, 120 min.) Earl Shaffer Foundation, 2596 Church Rd., York, PA 17404. http://www.earlshaffer.org

Description from the website: "Earl himself narrates this 80-minute slideshow which illustrates his historic 1948 thruhike of the Appalachian Trail with photos taken by Earl during the hike. Shown to countless audiences by Earl during the 54 years he was alive following his 1948 hike, the slideshow is now available to purchase in DVD format. The images in the slideshow were processed by the Smithsonian Institution to enhance their clarity and preserve their quality. Earl gives details of all that he encountered and how he coped with the challenging conditions during his unprecedented 4-month odyssey. Also included on the DVD is footage of live TV interviews conducted with Earl during his 1998 50th-anniversary thruhike by the Today Show, CBS News and Fox News. The DVD also contains material not previously published, including the text of the journal he kept during his 1948 hike as well as his essay giving advice to long-distance hikers."

Mausalot
12-14-2006, 08:59
Ewker, which library had 2000 Miles to Maine? Just a couple libraries purchased it, but most people get it from my site at www.trailmovie.com (http://www.trailmovie.com) or from Amazon. I was also surprised at the quick flurry of movies (most of us hiked around 2001 or 2002, though Lion King a bit later) -- and we only hiked sections at that. Perhaps the 'market' is saturated for now and people don't see that there is room for another one. I imagine in just a few years, a few more will come out as filmmakers perceive a need to do their own take on the experience. I'm on to a very different project which you can check out here www.moralitytale.com (http://www.moralitytale.com)

Hope you enjoy 2000 Miles to Maine (and Trek too)

Ewker
12-14-2006, 10:56
Mausalot, I got it thru my local library but they were using the interlibrary system. That is where libraries loan books/movies etc to each other.

eArThworm
12-14-2006, 13:03
Ewker, which library had 2000 Miles to Maine? Just a couple libraries purchased it...

Doug, using a nationwide library database to which I have access, I found that there are at least 22 libraries, all the way from Alaska to Maine, that own "2000 Miles to Maine." So that increases the chance of being able to get the film through Interlibrary Loan (see my note about ILL at http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bibliography.html#Libraries). But if you can afford it, BUY it. Great film!!

Spirit Walker
12-14-2006, 14:17
SoCrosse - the CDT is not blazed like the AT, except at the very beginning where they put up signs last spring, but it is much easier to follow now than it was a few years ago. Some places there are cairns, some places just tread - but if you can read a map and a guidebook, it's not that hard. You may lose the trail, but it isn't that hard to find it again, except in a few places. It's a terrific hike.

RITBlake
12-14-2006, 14:50
Hello All!!!

I know this is an Appalachian Trail site. But If anyone wants to check it out I have some video clips from my 2006 CDT hike. I hope you like them.

http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdtpart1of10.wmv
http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdtpart2of10.wmv
http://www.jukejointvideo.com/videos/cdt4.wmv

Adam ...

Google: Video Compression

J5man
03-26-2007, 09:16
I bought the DVD, "Appalachian Impressions" by www.flaglerfilms.com (http://www.flaglerfilms.com) . All I am going to say is AWESOME. It aired on my local PBS stations and I had to have it.

Froggy
03-26-2007, 20:23
I concur that "2000 miles to Maine" is pretty good. It's available for purchase from the ATC.

Lion King
03-26-2007, 21:00
The ATC refuses to carry my film because they feel its 'too racy'

That still p's me off being that we have donated some $$ via DM Burrows (My exec producer) to them from the profits...whatever.

They could have made a lot of money off of it as it has been Campmors #1 selling DVD this and last year.

Oh well, I aint asking again.

Kiyu
03-27-2007, 00:54
Racy? Someone hiking in.....in....in.....shorts?
Enjoyed the WWF video & thanks for the effort.
When's your PCT video coming out or are you still finishing up?

Kiyu

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2007, 01:05
King:

Please don't take this as criticism, cuz it isn't. I'm merely curious.

I was under the impression that the ATC was concerned about the use of, and references to illegal drugs in the film, and they were concerned about how this portrayed the long-distance hiking community. I was further under the impression that you had been told about their concerns in this regard, and you refused to alter or cut the film in order to address these concerns, which was, of course, your privilege as a film-maker. But I was told you WERE aware of what needed to be done in order to make the film acceptable to the Conference (or Conservatory) but that you elected not to make the required cuts.

Is this true?

bfitz
03-27-2007, 02:05
Well the truth is the truth, but the ATC has a mission statement to adhere to. While I can't condone censorship, I wouldn't expect what amounts to a PR organisation to support controversial postions.

Lion King
03-27-2007, 02:36
King:

Please don't take this as criticism, cuz it isn't. I'm merely curious.

I was under the impression that the ATC was concerned about the use of, and references to illegal drugs in the film, and they were concerned about how this portrayed the long-distance hiking community. I was further under the impression that you had been told about their concerns in this regard, and you refused to alter or cut the film in order to address these concerns, which was, of course, your privilege as a film-maker. But I was told you WERE aware of what needed to be done in order to make the film acceptable to the Conference (or Conservatory) but that you elected not to make the required cuts.

Is this true?

There isnt a single mention of usage of ANY drug in my film.

Anywhere.

Yet, one film they carry has hikers that flaunt it.

and I did refuse to alter it for someone elses censorship...again, there isnt A SINGLE, NOT A ONE image of drug use, or the mention of Drug use...anywhere

Lion King
03-27-2007, 02:37
If fact, I made a point of NOT filming people I was around when they smoked or what have you.

Show me one image of anything illegal in my film.

attroll
03-27-2007, 02:50
I think Jack is thinking of 2,000 miles to Maine. That has a lot of drug use mentioned in it. But he made two version of that one. There is one that is the edited and one that is not edited.

Lion King
03-27-2007, 03:01
I think Jack is thinking of 2,000 miles to Maine. That has a lot of drug use mentioned in it. But he made two version of that one. There is one that is the edited and one that is not edited.

No he is correct about them wanting me to edit it because for some reason they said it had drug use in it, and yeah...2000 Miles to maine they sale...lol

I still dont get it. They didnt like the fact that Trail days had drinking in it...
LOL
LOL
LOL

again, whatever...Not one Hiker has been offended by the images of other hikers smiling and toasting each other with cold draft beers at trail days in that segment.

trippclark
03-27-2007, 11:03
I have all three of these movies and think that they are all terrific. I have enjoyed watching all of them several times each. WWF is arguably the most entertaining of them all, and the wonderful soundtrack perhaps gives it that edge. My only disappointment is that "Appalachian Impressions" is the only one of the three that I can share with the Scouts that I work with. This is because of the drug and alcohol use that appears in the others. For me, I can look past this and realize that it is just idiots being idiots . . . hope that one day they will outgrow the behavior . . . and then enjoy the rest of the movie. I cannot, however, show it to a group of a hundred or more Scouts - each with moms and dads with varying degrees of tolerence. It is unfortunate that I cannot share these otherwise great movies with younger Scouts who will inherit the stewardship of the trail because of 1 or 2 minutes of footage that really adds nothing beneficial to the overall product.

Lion King
03-27-2007, 11:39
I have all three of these movies and think that they are all terrific. I have enjoyed watching all of them several times each. WWF is arguably the most entertaining of them all, and the wonderful soundtrack perhaps gives it that edge. My only disappointment is that "Appalachian Impressions" is the only one of the three that I can share with the Scouts that I work with. This is because of the drug and alcohol use that appears in the others. For me, I can look past this and realize that it is just idiots being idiots . . . hope that one day they will outgrow the behavior . . . and then enjoy the rest of the movie. I cannot, however, show it to a group of a hundred or more Scouts - each with moms and dads with varying degrees of tolerence. It is unfortunate that I cannot share these otherwise great movies with younger Scouts who will inherit the stewardship of the trail because of 1 or 2 minutes of footage that really adds nothing beneficial to the overall product.

There is ZERO drug use in my film, and as far as the one or two segments where you see a beer, you see worse drinking on Sunday afternoon TV in beer commercials.

I wish Someone ANYONE will show me a second of drug use, or a single word talking about drug use in my film.

Gets under my skin that people spread stuff like that, or that that is what people have said about my film.

(Not you Tripp)

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2007, 11:50
King:

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to "spread" anything, but was merely asking about what I had heard. I'd been curious about why your film wasn't carried by the ATC and had heard several different things.

Thanks for setting things straight on this. If anyone would know the skinny on this, it'd obviously be you.

trippclark
03-27-2007, 12:09
. . . and as far as the one or two segments where you see a beer, you see worse drinking on Sunday afternoon TV in beer commercials.

LK,

You are absolutely correct, and in that regard I am probably overcautious. I'll try to explain my thought process anyway. We often show movies on Saturday evening at the events that I am involved with at camp. Sometime we show regular big name Hollywood movies - and while we always show PG-13 or less - these still sometimes have "questionable content" (language, alcohol, etc.). This is undesireable, but accepted.

Right or wrong, when I show a hiking movie or similar outdoor documentary, I feel that it needs a higher standard because while it is not depicting a "Scouting trip" it is depicting an activity that is often associated with Scouting. If drinking and partying is glorified on the screen, I don't want Scouts to get the idea that that is fun behavior that they should initiate when they go camping.

All that said, let me repeat that I really, really like the movie. I also know that it was not developed or marketed to be a movie for Scouts. That is not your target audience. My point is just that all but perhaps 60 seconds of the movie is great for kids interested in outdoor recreation, and in my opinion it is unfortunate that those 60 seconds were included that then limit the acceptable audience.

I'll keep watching and enjoying "WWF" and "2000 Miles" and sharing these with interested adults, and I'll continue to use "Appalachian Impressions" as my "all audiences" AT movie of choice.

YMMV

Lion King
03-27-2007, 13:16
King:

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to "spread" anything, but was merely asking about what I had heard. I'd been curious about why your film wasn't carried by the ATC and had heard several different things.

Thanks for setting things straight on this. If anyone would know the skinny on this, it'd obviously be you.

Its cool Jack.

Hope to see you out there this year somewhere.
We aint debatd in a couple of years.;):D

StarLyte
03-27-2007, 13:46
There's no drugs in the film anywhere.

I think I could narrate that film by now-- I've seen it so many times. Janet gave me her extra copy :D

Still didn't buy that camera yet LK......waiting for the right price, but I have to get on it soon. I'm still looking at the Canon GL-2, might take advantage of the website rebate offer.

See ya somewheres....

Jester2000
03-27-2007, 19:35
It was my understanding that ATC wouldn't carry WWF because of a scene with a cardboard cutout of Bag o' Tricks' nekkid butt, which the ATC rightly thought would horrify and mentally scar young viewers.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2007, 21:06
And older viwers, too. Jester is altogether too casual about this. :D

StarLyte
03-27-2007, 21:17
It was my understanding that ATC wouldn't carry WWF because of a scene with a cardboard cutout of Bag o' Tricks' nekkid butt, which the ATC rightly thought would horrify and mentally scar young viewers.

Not "THE" picture is it? Oh boy.....

Lion King
03-27-2007, 21:34

LOL!:D

im still scared..and scarred

bfitz
03-28-2007, 00:07
I had completely blanked it out. Thanks.

Lion King
04-08-2007, 15:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvXB5zHpss

Preview of my PCT film...coming soon to an outfitter near you!

Topcat
04-08-2007, 17:40
I never thought of the PCT as much of a raggae trail, but sounds and looks good. cant wait to watch the movie.

fiddlehead
04-08-2007, 21:30
Some interesting thoughts after reading this thread: I showed my video about hiking the triple crown, "Really Livin" to the local scout troop back home. Although there was one shot of Rainman with a bottle of whiskey (i had warned the leaders about that one) they were much more upset about the fact that i showed myself getting water from a small stream in Montana that was coming off of snow melt. And i then drank the water. They jumped up as soon as the movie was over and said "don't ever do that" to the troop.
So, i have decided it doesn't matter what it is, someone will not feel your video is right for them for some reason.
Another thought: I recently decided to upload clips of my many videos to youtube but unfortunatly, they have totally censored and blocked youtube from everyone here in Thailand. So, i hope they release the ban someday and i will be breaking my movies up into my favorite parts and uploading them for all to see for free.
I will post on whiteblaze if and when i do get the hiking videos uploaded.