PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian question

Swiss Roll
11-07-2006, 11:03
I am headed to Standing Indian this weekend for the first time. Are there tent areas near the S.I. shelter and at Beech Gap? Thanks for your help.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 11:10
Yes to both especially Beech gap.

orangebug
11-07-2006, 12:16
I'd pick Beech Gap over the shelter, but if the weather is good, consider staying on the summit of Standing Indian. Great dark sky and wonder sun rises and sets.

Doctari
11-09-2006, 10:12
OK campsites at Shelter. GREAT camping at beech gap, FANTASTIC CAMPING atop SI, and along the access trail from AT to top of SI.

FWIW: If memory serves, trees sutable for hanging all places mentioned. But my last time there was pre hammock.

Doctair.

Two Speed
11-09-2006, 12:24
Scattered camp sites along the ridge north of the summit of Standing Indian, too. Just make sure to pick up water at the shelter if you're running low cuz it's a dry run until pretty close to Beech Gap.

Skidsteer
11-09-2006, 18:42
OK campsites at Shelter. GREAT camping at beech gap, FANTASTIC CAMPING atop SI, and along the access trail from AT to top of SI.

FWIW: If memory serves, trees sutable for hanging all places mentioned. But my last time there was pre hammock.

Doctair.

Yep. Good hammock trees at all three sites.

Scattered camp sites along the ridge north of the summit of Standing Indian, too. Just make sure to pick up water at the shelter if you're running low cuz it's a dry run until pretty close to Beech Gap.

Actually, there's a nice spring near the summit. About ten steps before the right turn(NOBO)to the over look is a trail heading left and downhill to water(piped spring).

stumpy
11-09-2006, 22:41
Yep. Good hammock trees at all three sites.

Actually, there's a nice spring near the summit. About ten steps before the right turn(NOBO)to the over look is a trail heading left and downhill to water(piped spring).

Many of those higher elevetion springs have dried up over the summer. I am not sure about that one, but don't think that I would chance it.

Skidsteer
11-09-2006, 23:00
Many of those higher elevetion springs have dried up over the summer. I am not sure about that one, but don't think that I would chance it.

It's a valid concern.

So far in my experience this spring is reliable. Sweet tasting water too.

It's never worried me much. If I ever discover the spring to be dry I'll just man up and hike the one and a half miles South to Standing Indian shelter, or +/- three miles to Beech Gap.

generoll
11-10-2006, 06:59
dunno about Standing Indian, but given how wet October was I'd expect to find that spring flowing.

Two Speed
11-10-2006, 07:57
Didn't know about that spring, Skids, thanks for the tip.

BTW, shouldn't that be "Klingon up?"

bigmac_in
11-10-2006, 11:52
I, too, would recommend the SI summit.

orangebug
11-10-2006, 12:44
The water source near SI summit is pretty reliable, even during the bad drought we had a couple years ago. I have seen that spring go very slow, but never totally stop.

The problem with that water source is how far it is off trail and the rough terrain around it. It is an area that invites falls and injuries. Take a whistle with you, just in case.

springerfever
11-10-2006, 14:44
The summit of Standing Indian on a clear day is awesome! The spring down on the left mentioned was a good source in June, probably still OK. Fairly steep terrain and rocky but definately worth checking out before heading back southbound for water.

Headed north out of Deep Gap and just about a 1/2 mile from the summit on the right is an excellent campsite up off the trail, maybe twenty yards. You have to look for it, but its a nice grassy area with a small fire ring and close by, a good overlook facing the peak.

This area in early June is one of the prettiest I have ever encountered with many species of plants in bloom, particularly flame azalea and rhododendron. Albert Mountain is close by and has a dandy firetower, particularly for sunrises..........

Two Speed
11-10-2006, 15:17
The summit of Standing Indian on a clear day is awesome! . . . Yep, the Standing Indian area is the bomb for views, and with the network of trails in the area loop hikes are a breeze to set up.

Swiss Roll
11-13-2006, 10:57
We started out Sat morning from the S.I. campgound. Headed up Kimsey Creek under an overcast sky. I almost stepped on an outstretched Copperhead lying across the trail, we saw two piles of berry red bear poop (I think it was bear, it had a diameter that no human could squeeze out-except maybe my kids who have not yet learned how to flush the toilet, but they weren't in the area.) By the time we got to the shelter to eat, fog covered the summit. As we left the shelter, the fog descended to our elevation and brought the rain with it. We hiked from the summit to Beech Gap in fog and intermittent rain. We still had plenty of water so I can't report on the spring situation at the summit. Arrived at Beech Gap and set up tents right before the bottom dropped out. Our advance party, who started hiking on Friday, had already started a fire and had pumped about 3 gallons of water, so I never had to break out the filter the whole trip-sweet! After the rain moved out, the cold moved in. I turned in about 8:30 and listened to the wind howl outside while I was all snuggly warm and cozy in my bag. Sunday started out cold but warmed up quickly after Mr. Sol peeked above the ridgeline. We hiked out on Timber Ridge Trail to the car. Then we had our celebration lunch at Rib Country just outside of Murphy. For some reason, the Maitre D seated us at the back of the restaurant away from the church crowd. It was okay, though, the 1/2 pound cheeseburger and blackberry cobbler made up for the slight. Even with the rain and missed view from S.I., it was a great trip. Thanks to all of you who gave information.