PDA

View Full Version : Hiker opinion on hostel prices

lobster
11-07-2006, 11:14
What would be the higher limit that you are willing to pay for a night's stay at a hiker hostel so that you get a fair deal and the hostel owners might actually make a profit?

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 11:22
$20 but I don't stay at hostels

Footslogger
11-07-2006, 11:28
Depends on the hostel and how bad I want a night off the trail.

It's possible to stay at hostels that "request" a donation of under $10 and have a positive experience.

Then again ...you can stay at hostels that "charge" a fee of more than $10 and wish you hadn't.

My experience is that the price you pay is forgotten sooner than the experience.

'Slogger

Bloodroot
11-07-2006, 11:28
Yep $20.....maybe more depending on the weather and how hungry I am?

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2006, 12:33
Lobster:

I think it depends on the level of accomodations: For example, are you staying in a bunkroom with ten other people, or in your own room? Is it in someone's actual home, or are you crashing out in a barn or converted garage? Is it clean? Are there such things as a kitchen, telephone, computer? Is there a living room for rest and relaxation, or just a bunkroom? Is there a washer/dryer, and if so, is laundry included with your stay or extra? Are meals of any sort served? Does your overnight stay include a ride back to the Trail in the morning? And so on.....

I think, in most cases, tho, that $20-25 is about right these days, with the simpler places charging a bit less. Obviously, the places that pull out the stops should charge a bit more. For example, places like Miss Janets in Erwin or The Cabin in East Andover Maine are fantastic deals, considering what you get (The breakfast alone at either of these places would cost you around 12 bucks in a restaurant, never mind the money these folks spend driving hikers all over the place).

There are also a few places that ridiculously UNDERcharge. Kincora in Dennis Cove, TN comes to mind. Obviously, in places like this, hikers should throw in a bit extra than what is asked for.

But to stick to Lobster's question, I think some folks would be willing to pay more than $25, especially older hikers travelling on fatter budgets, but this would be typically be for a B&B type facility, where one had their own room, meals, etc. Most hikers want to keep things reasonably cheap, so in most cases, the more expensive top-end hostels aren't going to see a whole lot of business.

rambunny
11-07-2006, 12:35
It depends on the immenities-like AYCE meals-5-20 miles to trail heads,ect. Personally if i'm going to stay in town a hostle with free shuttle AYCE meals,shower laundry,ect for $35 beats a motel room everytime. Plus hiker boxes and information are valuble. Here's a question-do most hikers just expect magic and free from townies or do they expect to pay for services rendered?

Sly
11-07-2006, 12:48
I mostly stayed in hostels when I hiked the AT but if I were to do it again, with a few exceptions, I'd probably stay less in town, but more in motels when I did. I prefer my privacy and less competition to use the facilities than is found in hostels.

Plus, wiith all the hikers on the AT, it's another reason I prefer western trails.

To answer the question, it depends...

Appalachian Tater
11-07-2006, 12:57
Here's a question-do most hikers just expect magic and free from townies or do they expect to pay for services rendered?

Hikers should not expect trail magic nor should they expect to get anything for free. Period.

rambunny
11-07-2006, 13:00
The reason i asked the question is because we were caretakers this year from May-Oct. 50 miles into Maine or 200 depending on your direction.It amazed me the hikers that would weasle,con,lie,ect.to try to get things discounted or free.Not all mind you-most were wonderful guests,but it's left me wondering if my goal Should be to open a hostle someday or not.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 13:02
If you open one, set your prices and don't offer work-for-stay. Simple. If you can't pay you can't stay.

rambunny
11-07-2006, 13:07
Believe it or not they would be told a set price,have all the imminities then when time to pay Whoops no money!

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 13:09
Collect up front. No exceptions.

Appalachian Tater
11-07-2006, 13:15
Believe it or not they would be told a set price,have all the imminities then when time to pay Whoops no money!

That's not expecting something for free, that's stealing.

Sly
11-07-2006, 13:15

That's bogus. As LW sez, money up front. So many AT hikers just turn me off for those reasons and more, I doubt I'll ever hike it again.

Oops, I forgot... (((rambunny)))

lobster
11-07-2006, 13:23
What LW said. Just be firm up front.

Footslogger
11-07-2006, 13:25
Although it is not typically requested or enforced, in the long haul payment up front would be the best for all parties concerned. On top of weeding out those who might otherwise skate on paying or claim to have no money, it avoids the whole "settling up" process as a hiker prepares to depart.

'Slogger

rambunny
11-07-2006, 13:26
My dear,it's O.K. You can be Trail crazy and not particularly care for people on it. I'm wrestling with sounding like a geezer here but i liked it alot better with the hiker mentality 6 years ago.Good idea L.W. about pay up front,but i got the impression that you would be talked about up and down trail if you inforced rules,seems a little differant these days.

Just Jeff
11-07-2006, 13:28
Hotels require money up front when paying cash...why shouldn't hostels?

About $20 is good. Anything over that should have a good reason...good meals, shuttles included, something like that. Even the cost of other lodging in the area - if the only other option is a seedy hotel for $40, I'd rather pay $30 for a decent hostel.

orangebug
11-07-2006, 13:29
Depends. For instance, Ginny's in Damascus is more of a B&B, but for the fellowship, ambience, breakfast and all, a room at $75 is a steal - especially when split. I know I could stay free at The Place, but I've seen some pretty unsavory folks bunking there who were clearly not hikers. There are other hostels, but after food and other items, price is very similar to Ginny's.

Value over rules price.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 13:32
The Place ain't free although tons of hikers think it is.

DavidNH
11-07-2006, 13:32
I think 30 dollars a night would be fair. But I expect that price to be all inclusive..ie bunk, shower, laundry, tv, shuttle to/from AT if not on trail. Personally, I prefer a higher price with everything included than a lower price where everything is a la cart. Cause you will eventually paythe higher price when all is said and done.

The hikers welcome hostel in Glencliff left me with a bad taste. Looks cheep but everything is extra so it isnt. Shaws in Monson and the Cabin in east andover, ME are examples of great deals! And what great food there!

Those who can't afford 30 dollars all inclusive to stay the night in a hostel may want to re think about hiking the AT that year. 30 buscks a night really is not all that much.

And yes...I think payment is best up front.

TJ aka Teej
11-07-2006, 13:44
It was interesting this summer to see the new owners of Shaws and Lake Shore House in Monson go through the live-and-learn process. They were getting screwed over a bit by early season hikers, but soon were trying to get payments up front and being strict about rules. In August at Shaws three hikers came in, said they were staying, took showers and naps, and then left when a friend showed up and took them to his place. Shaws was 'full', so the owners thought, and turned away people (giving them a free ride to another town) only to find out they had three open (unpaid for) beds that night. I love hikers, but my sympathys over the years I have been doing the Companion are now with the hostel owners.
Lobster: what ever you pay, it isn't enough.

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2006, 13:46
David--

Some hostels, like Glencliff, offer "a la carte" services and fees, i.e., people are charged only with what they use and need, i.e., not everyone wants to do laundry, some people elect to skip the shower, some folks ONLY want to do laundry, etc.

I'm sorry you were left with a "bad taste" in Glencliff.

Personally, I think it's one of the best hostels on the Trail.

orangebug
11-07-2006, 14:26
So do the bums. (regarding LW's comments on The Place)

orangebug
11-07-2006, 14:29
Greasy Gap Friendly also does the a la carte thing, with food extra to the room and shower. It left a strange feeling for me after staying with Miss Janet, but overall it was a very welcome break.

generoll
11-07-2006, 18:17
It would be interesting to get some responses here from the hostel owners. I'm sure that they would be reluctant if not unwilling to share names, but the experiences, specifically and overall would be interesting. I've spoken with the owners at the Hike Inn, Cloud 9, and Standing Bear and they all seemed like good people and not sorry that they are doing what they are doing, but it does seem that a firm hand is needed.

There was a poster here a year or so ago complaining about the fact that he was charged for using the computer at Neels Gap and just in general complaining about the fact that he had to pay retail prices. There seems to be an entitlement mentality among some through hikers that since they are on this grand quest, the world should be waiting for them at each crossroads with an open hand. I was following a trail journal a couple of years ago and came across a term "pack sniffers" which was used in a rather contemptuous manner refering to those who enjoyed hanging around with through hikers. I guess this applied to trail angels as well, although it didn't seem to prevent them from taking the trail magic.

The trail and the people on it are just like the society they come from and through which the trail runs, only more so I guess.

Make any sense?

weary
11-07-2006, 18:51
My dear,it's O.K. You can be Trail crazy and not particularly care for people on it. I'm wrestling with sounding like a geezer here but i liked it alot better with the hiker mentality 6 years ago.Good idea L.W. about pay up front,but i got the impression that you would be talked about up and down trail if you inforced rules,seems a little differant these days.
I suspect the whole escalating "trail magic" thing encourages thru hikers to expect freebies. One hostel owner I see frequently has mixed feelings. In moments of frustration he'll say, "they're all free loaders." But he also tells of trusting hikers and being surprised and pleased when occasionally a check will appear in January.

I still say that with all the poverty in this world, gifts to those on a six month's vacation are by far the least worthy.

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 19:11
Good idea L.W. about pay up front,but i got the impression that you would be talked about up and down trail if you inforced rules,

Good! That would be a good thing,then. :)
Free advertising and free "pre-sorting."

Just Jeff
11-07-2006, 19:19
Yep. And if you're doing it for profit, I got a feeling a hostel isn't the way to earn money...so at least presorting your customers would make your days better.

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 19:35
Yep. And if you're doing it for profit, I got a feeling a hostel isn't the way to earn money...so at least presorting your customers would make your days better.

It's like you said in an earlier post, Jeff. Hotels are positively ruthless about paying up front.

That's a good thing, IMO. Once the business dealings are done and over, it's much easier for all parties involved to just be regular folks.

neo
11-07-2006, 20:38
If you open one, set your prices and don't offer work-for-stay. Simple. If you can't pay you can't stay.

thats right:cool: neo

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 20:54
Speaking of hostels, I stayed at Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel (http://www.bonpaulandsharkys.com/) in Asheville Saturday night. $20 - up front. Nice place.