PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited input

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 12:45
Has this happened to anyone else?

A few days ago, I received an email from someone (didnt list WB name or how he came to my email addy, might have been from TrlJournals too) but he goes into this barrage of information about how my gear is not going to work, its too heavy and made several specific item suggestions for me.

I was flabbergasted! :eek: I happen to like most of my gear, and I think its up to me as to how much weight I want to carry. Isnt it? :-?

Now, he did qualify his status as a hiker, because he failed to complete the AT, but did do 1800 miles... Also states that he's done no other hiking... Does this make him an expert?:confused:

I have posted many questions to WB members trying to get gear info... WHEN I NEED IT.

I promptly sent a rude email back asking why his 1800 mile failed trip made him a pro and where he got off telling me my gear was all wrong. :D

Is it just me, or has this happened to anyone else?

TN_Hiker
11-07-2006, 12:47
It has never happened to me personally. YOU go GAL!!! How does the saying go......HYOH.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2006, 12:47
There are absolutely no hiking experts. None.

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 12:51
I forgot to add that he was hoping his 14 year old dog would pass away so he can go hike again.... ***!?!?

lobster
11-07-2006, 13:19
Well, I wouldn't actually say he "failed"!

Sly
11-07-2006, 13:21
I'm a hiking expert, but don't offer unsolicited advice. That would be a know-it-all. ;)

max patch
11-07-2006, 13:24
Happens all the time in person in GA. Ex thrus will "hold court" at various locations -- Blood Mtn Shelter -- for example, and will make sure that passing hikers know they are ex thrus and then proceed to offer "advice." All about the ego.

jlb2012
11-07-2006, 13:26
sounds like someone MinnesotaSmithed you ALHikerGal

btw I think if the email was sent through Whiteblaze there would have been an indication of it in the header

Just Jeff
11-07-2006, 13:31
I'm a hiking expert - in my own style of hiking and in what makes me happy. Not an expert in how others should hike, though! :D

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 13:32

A few days ago, I received an email from someone (didnt list WB name or how he came to my email addy, might have been from TrlJournals too) but he goes into this barrage of information about how my gear is not going to work, its too heavy and made several specific item suggestions for me.

I was flabbergasted! :eek: I happen to like most of my gear, and I think its up to me as to how much weight I want to carry. Isnt it? :-?

You'll get plenty of unsolicited advice from others on how to hike their hike.
I don't expect your "helper" will be writing again. :)

Even more energy-efficient is ignoring - letting it roll off like water off a duck's back. No hook. They hate that. :)

DavidNH
11-07-2006, 13:36
There aren't really any hiking experts and offering unsolicited advice isn't a good idea.

In my case...even after lots of research and asking loads of questions here on white blaze..I still ended up doing gear experimentation and switch outs on my hike. And even now, I feel that what works for one hiker may not work for another.

Some folks swear by running shoes for hiking. I swear at them (the shoes) and will never again be on the trail in sneakers. Its what works best for you that matters.

Go use what you are comfortable with when you do the trail. You can always switch to somthing else mid stream.

David

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 13:37
You'll get plenty of unsolicited advice from others on how to hike their hike.
I don't expect your "helper" will be writing again. :)

Even more energy-efficient is ignoring - letting it roll off like water off a duck's back. No hook. They hate that. :)

You're probably right Jan, but I was just so appalled, that I couldnt just "let it go." In the year that Ive been hiking, thats the first (albeit, not the last) time thats happened. I dont mind comparing notes and sharing info, but if I have a question, dammit, I'll ask it. And those that I have already hiked with know this!

Sly
11-07-2006, 13:41
Why can't there be hiking experts?

Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'ek-"sp&rt
Etymology: French, from expert, adjective
: one with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject

If nothing else, I'm there! :D

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 13:42

Another thought occurrs - this email might have been a well-intentioned but misguided protectiveness.

While there's certainly no need to take on someone's unwelcome cluelessness, pondering that might take some of the sting out. You sound like you're doing just fine on your own, and if you make a gear mistake, so what - everybody does. Plan on it. It's easily rectified.

The Trail itself is the best teacher, and everyone comes to their own workable ways. It always amazes me how varying are the gear systems of successful long distance hikers. There is no one "right way."

Boat Drinks
11-07-2006, 13:42
Happens all the time in person in GA. Ex thrus will "hold court" at various locations -- Blood Mtn Shelter -- for example, and will make sure that passing hikers know they are ex thrus and then proceed to offer "advice." All about the ego.

Really? They do this? Is this a tradition? Do they Thru-Hike and then do this for the rest of their days, this seems kinda humorous to me. I can imagine walking up to the shelter and 4-6 guys kinda sitting around, some sitting higher then others for easy identification of the most experienced, they all have long beards, smell funny and each hold a single natural walking stick branch as a septer. As you enter the site, they take your gear and start analyzing it, scoffing and grunting knowingly as they go. They exchange glances and nod silently before they re-assemble in their spots and proclaim whether you pass the "test" or not. :clap

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 13:44
You're probably right Jan, but I was just so appalled, that I couldnt just "let it go." In the year that Ive been hiking, thats the first (albeit, not the last) time thats happened. I dont mind comparing notes and sharing info, but if I have a question, dammit, I'll ask it. And those that I have already hiked with know this!

And just for the record, I think you have the sass to make it. :)
You go girl!

SGT Rock
11-07-2006, 13:46
Happens occasionally. If someone is using the WhiteBlaze contact info to bother you, well you can make your e-mail unavailable and even prevent people from contacting you via that e-mail and even the PM system (except for Admins).

And occasionally it does happen that we get a complaint about people PMing them with regular rude stuff - we sometimes send them a warning against it. If you want to report that though, please do it in a private PM.

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 13:49
Really? They do this? Is this a tradition? Do they Thru-Hike and then do this for the rest of their days, this seems kinda humorous to me. I can imagine walking up to the shelter and 4-6 guys kinda sitting around, some sitting higher then others for easy identification of the most experienced, they all have long beards, smell funny and each hold a single natural walking stick branch as a septer. As you enter the site, they take your gear and start analyzing it, scoffing and grunting knowingly as they go. They exchange glances and nod silently before they re-assemble in their spots and proclaim whether you pass the "test" or not. :clap

Thats classic!!!:banana

VictoriaM
11-07-2006, 15:36
Hiker Gal: I've gotten this plenty of times, some of it extremely rude. I hate to say this, as someone who generally likes men very much and enjoys male company, but most of the rudest "advice" I've gotten has been from men. I'll cut them some slack, though, because I think they are honestly trying to help someone who they think needs extra protection and care. Sometimes I appreciate that sentiment, sometimes I don't. It depends on how it's delivered, and we all know tactful delivery is not most men's forte. ;)

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 15:50
Happens occasionally. If someone is using the WhiteBlaze contact info to bother you, well you can make your e-mail unavailable and even prevent people from contacting you via that e-mail and even the PM system (except for Admins).

Thanks Rock!

I have checked, but the email did NOT come via WB. Heading over the TJ to see what I can fix over there...

Thanks for all the support! I have received several PM's from others regarding this and their incidents... Oddly, there's bunches of these people sending out these emails, as I have discovered, none of the emails received by each of us is from the same person!??!

At times I think it may have been someone just trying to "look out for me," but I'll let you in on a little secret.... I can take care of myself!!!:D

I worked in the manly man's field of policing for over 12 years (no, not as a dispatcher, but in car, by myself, at night in a big city, even in the "projects) I can pretty much handle anything. Well, except spiders. I dont do spiders!!!:eek:

Thanks again for letting me vent this!

emerald
11-07-2006, 15:58
And just for the record, I think you have the sass to make it.:)

I was thinking the same.;) If she can channel that into her hike, the mountains won't dare stand in her way!:D

Disclaimer: nothing stated in this post is intended as advice unsolicited or otherwise.

Cookerhiker
11-07-2006, 16:17
There are absolutely no hiking experts. None.

Except for you, Wolf :o

Cookerhiker
11-07-2006, 16:22
Sounds like you handled it the best possible way.

Never underestimate how presumptious people can be. Last year on my Maine section hike, a guy I didn't meet until White House landing told me with an arrogant air of knowing everything that my pack was too heavy and some day, I'd get "old time religion." After putting up with his gratuitous unsolicited advice for too long, I told him he mounted his pack wrong. He sputtered that there was no single right way to do so.

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 16:38
He sputtered that there was no single right way to do so.

Sounds like he needs to "practice what he preaches!" Oh, or is "do as I say, not as I do?"

Frosty
11-07-2006, 20:14
Someone emailed me once, and told me the gear list I posted on Trailjournals was all wrong, and he'd be happy to correct my beginner mistakes. I ignored the first one , then he sent another so I just told him I've been backpacking since 1972 and was fine with what I had. After my hike ended in Hiawassee with a bum knee, he wrote to say I should have listened to him.

I've also heard plenty of people, okay, plenty of men - never heard a woman do this - in a shelter say, "Frogg toggs, eh? You're gonna be sorry." or "Oo, you know those poles were the only ones Backpacker ever said weren't any good?" Stuff like that. Not to me, but to the poor guy who owned the gear. If the guy was obviously new to hiking and getting concerned, I'd tell him, "You'll be fine. Lots of people use what you have."

Hiker Gal: I've gotten this plenty of times, some of it extremely rude. I hate to say this, as someone who generally likes men very much and enjoys male company, but most of the rudest "advice" I've gotten has been from men. They are not being sexist, though. They are equally rude and obnoxious to other men :D

we all know tactful delivery is not most men's forte. ;)Bullcrap! What are you? Numb? You must be, to say men aren't tactful. Men are tactful as hell, you ninny, and we'll bulldoze anyone who says otherwise.

Seriously, the hiking community is full of people who confuse their preference for a mandate. Like so much of the internet, you just have to take what seems to work, and try to ignore those whose posts/emails are out of line. A lot easier for me (as a man) I know, it must be espeically galling to be talked down to because you're a woman, as well as being told what's wrong with your gear.

Just Jeff
11-07-2006, 20:20
Deja Vu - seems like we've had this man-woman debate before. On three threads at the same time.

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 20:23
I forgot to add that he was hoping his 14 year old dog would pass away so he can go hike again.... ***!?!?

Well, I have a 14 year old dog, but let me be clear! It wasn't me! Unless of course, Ridge's wife & kids somehow got hold of my password. :D

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 20:32
Well, I have a 14 year old dog, but let me be clear! It wasn't me! Unless of course, Ridge's wife & kids somehow got hold of my password. :D

..ROFLMAO!

Egads
11-07-2006, 21:39
ROFLMAO:confused:

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 21:54
ROFLMAO:confused:

Rolled on the floor laughing my a** off.

Truth be told, It was only good for a LMAO but I had to meet the ten character quota. :p

Downunda
11-07-2006, 22:44
Uh Oh, There was a wolf spider running rampant in one of the shelters near the Devil's racecourse when I stayed there. You'd better skip that one!

Have a good hike.

skeeterfeeder
11-08-2006, 04:41
ALHikerGal, don't think this is just a man to woman thing. As I stated in another thread, I must have been told two-hundred times my pack was too big and I was carrying too much weight. This would come from day hikers, section hikers, and other thru hikers that would pass me on the trail or see me in a shelter and blurt out their observation without so much as an introduction.This is a man thing, a posturing for power if you will, that goes on with anyone they feel they can intimidate or belittle.

I finally got to the point I would tell them, quite bluntly some times, "I'm carrying the damn thing, not you." And I carried it every step to K.

Just remember, the jerks may piss you off for a little while, but are easily forgotten when you cross that next ridge and can look right into heaven....

NICKTHEGREEK
11-08-2006, 07:20

Now, he did qualify his status as a hiker, because he failed to complete the AT, but did do 1800 miles... Also states that he's done no other hiking... Does this make him an expert?:confused:

I have posted many questions to WB members trying to get gear info... WHEN I NEED IT.

I promptly sent a rude email back asking why his 1800 mile failed trip made him a pro and where he got off telling me my gear was all wrong. :D

Is it just me, or has this happened to anyone else?

Big upside here, just press the delete button or add the mailer's name to your junk e-mail/blocked senders list and poof gone forever. Consider the misery if you met the "expert" on the trail or a shelter.

Wanderingson
11-08-2006, 08:16
Hiker Gal,

If you share his e-mail addy with us, I'm sure we could load up his e-mail with all kinds of cool gear questions--hehe.

I know I have tons of questions to ask. Imagine this:

Dear Friend,

I was given your e-mail address and told you were a hiking gear expert. I would love for you to share your wisdom with me. I don't know much about hiking and figured you were the best resource around. Please help me I am soo confused........

SGT Rock
11-08-2006, 10:01
If people can make it all the way with shower curtains, wool blankets, Keds, soda bottles, and old surplus packs - well then it isn't the gear that gets you there. I think someone misses the point when they say you can't use X or have to have Y.

Alligator
11-08-2006, 10:17
Why post a gear list at TJ's prior to thruhiking?

What would happen if someone posted their gear list here? There would be this expectation that the person may be seeking input on their gear. Then the miscommunication starts:jump.

From your description, the person did sound overbearing in their advice. I don't have a dog and spend miniscule time on TJ:D .

Frosty
11-08-2006, 10:52
Why post a gear list at TJ's prior to thruhiking?

What would happen if someone posted their gear list here? Good question. Why post your daily mileage on TJ? Or anything?

I kept a trail journal on line so that friends and family could see what I was doing, and follow my progress if so inclined.

If you are going to keep a journal of your hike, then it makes sense to say what you are carrying (and what you are eating, and the weather, and your fellow hikers, etc etc)

Some things are just a part of a hike.

Generally you don't get people who log onto your journal and then tell you you are doing it wrong.

TJ is different from Whiteblaze. Feedback is not the norm at TJ (a journal could have 60,000 hits and a dozen comments, mostly from friends who day, "Way to go!") You can post just like it is your journal and readers will take what you write as your experience. Also, there isn't a central core group concensus that self-polices responses. On TJ, Jaybird could have said he had a bad experience with a certain outiftter and he wouldn't have been hammered for having a bad experince, or even assumed to be at fault.

It is different on Whiteblaze. Here people do comment on everything posted, but then this is a discussion list so that makes sense. On Whiteblaze, expect feedback at every turn. If you say you are hiking with a dog, that you carry a GPS or a cell phone, or that you had a bad experience at a hostel, expect quick and rabid responses. Fair enough, we all know the rules (or learn them quickly), and that is what makes Whiteblaze fun.

Just different platforms, that's all. Telling someone that their gear is all wrong is fine here, but not appropriate on TJ.

And of course, sending a private email telling people that they are all wrong is a little weird. Just too personal.

Alligator
11-08-2006, 12:37
Good question. Why post your daily mileage on TJ? Or anything?

I kept a trail journal on line so that friends and family could see what I was doing, and follow my progress if so inclined.Posting it in a public forum makes it available to everyone.

If you are going to keep a journal of your hike, then it makes sense to say what you are carrying (and what you are eating, and the weather, and your fellow hikers, etc etc)

Some things are just a part of a hike.And some things are part of hike preparation.

Generally you don't get people who log onto your journal and then tell you you are doing it wrong.If you are doing something "wrong" there is often a lot of feedback at TJ.

TJ is different from Whiteblaze. Feedback is not the norm at TJ (a journal could have 60,000 hits and a dozen comments, mostly from friends who day, "Way to go!") You can post just like it is your journal and readers will take what you write as your experience. Also, there isn't a central core group concensus that self-polices responses. On TJ, Jaybird could have said he had a bad experience with a certain outiftter and he wouldn't have been hammered for having a bad experince, or even assumed to be at fault.

It is different on Whiteblaze. Here people do comment on everything posted, but then this is a discussion list so that makes sense. On Whiteblaze, expect feedback at every turn. If you say you are hiking with a dog, that you carry a GPS or a cell phone, or that you had a bad experience at a hostel, expect quick and rabid responses. Fair enough, we all know the rules (or learn them quickly), and that is what makes Whiteblaze fun.

But you've had this experience, ALhikerGal has had this experience, Jan has gotten unsolicitated advice.

There's a whole section of TJ related to gear. It's in trailforums.com. Admittedly it does not get the same traffic load. But to say there is no gear discussion is misleading. The gear sections of most journalers have reviews, it looks like a standard field for the item.

So at TJ, nobody gets any feedback on their gear choices? Positive, negative, simple discussion? Newbies don't talk to other newbies about gear, newbies don't talk to vets about gear, etc:-? ? The site has a strong hike preparation component.

Just different platforms, that's all. Telling someone that their gear is all wrong is fine here, but not appropriate on TJ.
I thought you said there was no central core group consensus that self-polices responses:-? . So maybe this guy thought he was helping. He was obviously overhelping. How many times has it happened when the advice was welcome? How many times when it was not welcome but not reported?

And of course, sending a private email telling people that they are all wrong is a little weird. Just too personal.
Sending someone an email telling them how to hike is weird.

Seeing new hikers posting all their prep stages and their gear lists, asking gear questions in the forums, and networking with the upcoming class, however, may give some people the idea that soon too be embarking thrus may actually be open to advice.

Cuffs
11-08-2006, 14:20
Hiker Gal,

If you share his e-mail addy with us, I'm sure we could load up his e-mail with all kinds of cool gear questions--hehe.

I know I have tons of questions to ask. Imagine this:

Dear Friend,

I was given your e-mail address and told you were a hiking gear expert. I would love for you to share your wisdom with me. I don't know much about hiking and figured you were the best resource around. Please help me I am soo confused........

Well, I was trying to be as polite as I could and avoid publicizing the info, but that sure does sound like a great idea!!

PS: MOWGLI, I know it wasnt you! My concern is who would "wish" their dog to be dead?!?:eek:

MOWGLI
11-08-2006, 14:33
My concern is who would "wish" their dog to be dead?!?:eek:

Well, my dog crapped all over my rug in numerous places a few weeks ago, so the thought passed through my mind for a milli-second. :rolleyes:

Does that make me a bad person? ;)

SGT Rock
11-08-2006, 16:08
No, just normal. If you had acted on it...

Cuffs
11-08-2006, 17:25
Well, my dog crapped all over my rug in numerous places a few weeks ago, so the thought passed through my mind for a milli-second. :rolleyes:

Does that make me a bad person? ;)

No, I believe all of us who have been in that same situation have thought the same thing. I usually think of it as I hear the cat gacking up as I launch them off the bed, praying they make it to the cat-door and outside before final puke comes up. I also think about it when I find they didnt get to the door and my toes find the cold, wet blob about 630 in the morning as I step out of bed...:eek:

Frosty
11-08-2006, 18:11
There's a whole section of TJ related to gear. It's in trailforums.com. Ah, I see our discon nect.

TJ to me is trailjournals.com. When people said TJ I assumed they meant trailjournals.com. Where journals go up. When keeping a journal, it is reasonable to log what you are carrying, eating, etc etc,

I've never been to trailforums.com. I assume from your comments, it is similar to whiteblaze? If so, I can see that posting a gear llist to a discussion forum would be very different than putting it in your journal.

EDIT: Just checked out trailforums.com. Pretty cool, actually. Thanks.

Cuffs
11-08-2006, 18:19
Ah, I see our discon nect.

TJ to me is trailjournals.com. When people said TJ I assumed they meant trailjournals.com. Where journals go up. When keeping a journal, it is reasonable to log what you are carrying, eating, etc etc,

I've never been to trailforums.com. I assume from your comments, it is similar to whiteblaze? If so, I can see that posting a gear llist to a discussion forum would be very different than putting it in your journal.

EDIT: Just checked out trailforums.com. Pretty cool, actually. Thanks.

Ah, was just going to point out that TF is a part of TJ, link at the top of the page... so .... nevermind!

Doctari
11-09-2006, 09:53
I am a "near expert" in that I know most of what works for me, so far.

I agree with Sly, there is a difference between an expert & a know-it-all.

Do sound like you got a Kno-it-all attack :D kind of like being slimed (think "ghost Busters") aint it. :p

Doctari. I is an espart, no: eggspret, no; asspart, no; pretart, OH: Expert!! dats it, i ar un exvert. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 10:29
AlHikerGal,

I looked at your gear list. And sadly I came to the same conclusion. You are not going to make it.

Spork. Pffft.:rolleyes:

Sly
11-09-2006, 10:39
She still carrying that heavy azz Gregory? As a two-time Dana Designs Terraplane carrier I know better now!

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 10:51
AlHikerGal,

I looked at your gear list. And sadly I came to the same conclusion. You are not going to make it.

Spork. Pffft.:rolleyes:

ha! What? She's short five rolls of toilet paper? :)

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 10:53
http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=3712

Did you all see this? Incredible! She actually plans to use a NALGEN BOTTLE! :eek:

No chance at all. Quit now and sell that stuff.

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 10:58
http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=3712

Did you all see this? Incredible! She actually plans to use a NALGEN BOTTLE! :eek:

No chance at all. Quit now and sell that stuff.

She's already screwed.
Who's going to BUY a heavy-azz Nalgene?
Cut your losses. Put flowers in it. :)

Sly
11-09-2006, 10:59
Maybe if she got a small nalgene. They don't weigh as much!

Alligator
11-09-2006, 11:10
Hey Hey Hey you savages, she doesn't want any comments on her gear. AlhikerGal is a delicate flower, you folks just need to back off.

Dancer
11-09-2006, 11:15
I hope you guys are kidding...

I know it's hurts your pride a little bit to be told you don't have the right gear but if you are a beginner then maybe you should be learning from the unsolicited advice. I know my gear may not be exactly what I need but I figure once I'm out there I'll figure it out.

All that said, you guys will probably track down my journal and rip my gear apart :)

Anyway, don't give up ALHIKERGAL, but I would rethink that two man tent and more than one of those fancy shirts. Good luck.

Amazonwoman

Alligator
11-09-2006, 11:20
All that said, you guys will probably track down my journal and rip my gear apart :)

...Lose the Tevas, they're heavy:bse .

TN_Hiker
11-09-2006, 11:22
Hey Hey Hey you savages, she doesn't want any comments on her gear. AlhikerGal is a delicate flower, you folks just need to back off.

Delicate flower my arse! Look back at post #21. She may be pretty as a butterfly, but I bet she can sting you like a huge pissed off hornet. As a patrol officer she has my respect and admiration regardless of gender. :sun

Alligator
11-09-2006, 11:35
Don't let that fool you TN-Hiker. As fragile as an Irish fen violet. Now you folks quit kidding her.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 11:42
I hope you guys are kidding...

I know it's hurts your pride a little bit to be told you don't have the right gear but if you are a beginner then maybe you should be learning from the unsolicited advice. I know my gear may not be exactly what I need but I figure once I'm out there I'll figure it out.

Anyway, don't give up ALHIKERGAL, but I would rethink that two man tent and more than one of those fancy shirts. Good luck.

Amazonwoman

Yes I was just teasing...;)

Honestly, if she wanted my input, she would have posted it here and asked as is the custom here at WhiteBlaze. Now on Trail Journals I like to go see what some people are carrying and sometimes I like to read how a piece of gear did or didn't work how they planned. But as to sending them comments that they are all screwed or they have made great gear choices - that is something I would never do. But I do know a guy...

See, just my way of looking at it, you could make it all the way and MAKE your gear work for you, or you could stop and change gear all the time, or you could hate your gear but live with it, or you could love your gear and decide to quit, or so many other variations of GEAR. But it is just gear. And while the average hiker will never need 6 rolls of TP, that one guy that does tote them probably could end the trail with the opinion they are essential to his success.

So in the end it is just gear.

Besides, with a whole journal to read, looking at just the gear is awful boring.

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 12:27
I gave this guy (http://www.luckycowboy.org/site1.php) some unsolicited advice after reading his gear list in '05.

He chose to go with his gut and carry the laptop plus 70 pound backpack. He never saw Gooch Gap.

Oh well..... He might have thought I was a jerk for offering some unsolicited advice, but I wanted to see the guy have half a chance.

Just Jeff
11-09-2006, 12:39
Pretty slick website, though - maybe that's why he brought the laptop?

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 12:45
Pretty slick website, though - maybe that's why he brought the laptop?

I think so. He is a real techie. His hiking stick made Minnisota Smith's look like a toothpick.

Sly
11-09-2006, 13:10
We need a tongue-in-cheek smiley. I was only half kidding, I think AlGal addressed her heavy pack issue. 3-4 extra pounds carried 2175 miles equals alot, but to each their own.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 13:30
That guy paid a hell of a lot of attention to his website about his hike - probably more than he actually paid attention to his actual hike.

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 13:33
That guy paid a hell of a lot of attention to his website about his hike - probably more than he actually paid attention to his actual hike.

Anticipation is half the fun! :)

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 13:38

Nice site. Did you look at the gear list?

Cuffs
11-09-2006, 13:41
OK OK OK! I get the point! (cant stop laughing either!)

As for the gear list on TJ... I posted that as I was first "getting into hiking." Ok, so that was only a year ago, but Ive learned alot since then, thanks to all of you here! Much gear has changed since that post, so I suppose I need to update...

I'll get around to it soon as I get back from BMT this week and FHT next week!

Heading for the hills, thanks Vets!

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 13:47
Nice site. Did you look at the gear list?

Yes I did. He had a lot of clothing and a lot of gadgets. Didn't say how much his pack weighed.

On the other hand, he had some cool scripts on his site. If they were easy to make a standard set up from and enter data into, he could have a hell of a site setting people up with trail journals.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 13:58
I just got done reading this guys journal. I sort of feel for him. Leads me back to that other thread from the guy asking if he should go on his thru-hike.

Here is an example of a guy that spent a lot of time re-arranging his life to thru-hike. Bought new gear, set up a really advanced website, and looks like he even got a school of kids interested in his adventure.

Only to find out two nights into his hike he doesn't like hiking. Hmmm:-?

Dances with Mice
11-09-2006, 13:59
Nice site. Did you look at the gear list?Ooh. 70 pound pack and an asthma inhaler. Not a good combination.

But how did he MISS HAWK MOUNTAIN?! That sidetrail / AT intersection is huge. With signs. And a big crowd there would have tents pitched all over the place along the sidetrail. And if you start heading downhill when looking for Hawk MOUNTAIN shelter, the name should be a big clue to stop and look around some. He must have been updating his website when he walked past it.

RockyTrail
11-09-2006, 15:49
HOLY COW what a website!
I get the feeling that he really likes his computer (and hot coffee).
Poor fellow; to build up such an incredible website about his thru-hike...a few shakedowns in the expected conditions would have helped.

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do" - Henry Ford

RockyTrail
11-09-2006, 16:08
One more thing...reading Cowboy's journal:

After 2 days on the trail, at Cooper Gap he meets a local that makes a comment about "how cold it is." Having not considered it, he ponders the thought. At this point, his will seems to falter; things begin to snowball, and eventually he winds up at the bus station in Gainesville.

Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't take advice, especially regarding hazards, but one thing I have learned in my years on this planet is to not let one person, or one comment, push you over the brink. Guard yourself against it. Get a second opinion. Too many times when I have "quit" at something I look back and can pinpoint exactly the one comment, often just an idle comment, that someone said that sent me downhill and I later kick myself for doing it... all stemming from that one conversation. This is where having a buddy for support or confirmation really helps out. It will usually happen when you are tired, or cold, or hungry, so watch out especially at these times. I still struggle with this, but nowadays at least I recognize it. Just my observation for your mental toolbox...

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 16:23
MISS HAWK MOUNTAIN

Now there's a beauty pagent I've never heard of.

DWM, maybe you could hang out there this spring with a camera, and crown a winner. And yes, blowing your nose cowboy style is an acceptable activity for the talent show. ;)

hopefulhiker
11-09-2006, 17:00
I was adding up the ounces on his gear list. I am sure that the cowboy didn't carry all that stuff at once.. It looked like it all added up to over a hundred pounds!

Alligator
11-09-2006, 17:14
He had 40 oz of knives:eek: . The front page map was cool though.

Frosty
11-09-2006, 20:14
I just got done reading this guys journal. I sort of feel for him. Leads me back to that other thread from the guy asking if he should go on his thru-hike.

Here is an example of a guy that spent a lot of time re-arranging his life to thru-hike. Bought new gear, set up a really advanced website, and looks like he even got a school of kids interested in his adventure.

Only to find out two nights into his hike he doesn't like hiking. Hmmm:-?I know just how he feels. I went through eight years of grade school, four years of high school, and four years of college, all to get a good career.

Only to find out after two days on the job that I didn't like working. :-?

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 21:49
I know just how he feels. I went through eight years of grade school, four years of high school, and four years of college, all to get a good career.

Only to find out after two days on the job that I didn't like working. :-?

Yep, then add two for an MS, two more for a PhD only to find that you REALLY dislike intellectual types who are so full of themselves and their elitist vocabulary that you just want to vomit every time they speak to you....:eek:

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 22:00
Yep, then add two for an MS, two more for a PhD only to find that you REALLY dislike intellectual types who are so full of themselves and their elitist vocabulary that you just want to vomit every time they speak to you....:eek:

Yeah. Intelligent people suck. :rolleyes:

bigcranky
11-09-2006, 22:03

Only to find out two nights into his hike he doesn't like hiking. Hmmm:-?

I read Lucky Cowboy's journal at the time, and I felt kinda bad for him. From his web site and journal entries, it sounded like he had no idea what he was getting himself into. But Cowboy didn't seem to have anyone for guidance (not sure if he didn't look, or didn't know that help was available anywhere.) I always wondered what would have happened if he'd made it to Neel Gap and thrown himself on the mercy of the folks at the outfitter. Dropping 35 or 40 pounds out of his pack might have been a good start, and those folks know how to do that. Plus, the late February start is pretty durn cold.

I wonder too about the connection between available information and thru-hiking success. There is now a ton of info out there, in books, on the internet, and from other hikers, and IIRC the percentage of successful thru-hikes is increasing. There has to be a link, yes? There have to be fewer people showing up at Amicalola Falls with 70 pounds packs never having spent a night on the trail, yes? (I said fewer, not none.) WhiteBlaze is a terrific resource for hikers, not just a cool place to hang out when not on the Trail.

I hope the Cowboy comes back and does the rest of the trail someday.

hopefulhiker
11-09-2006, 22:10
I did like the guy's soundtrack... It was like he was a legend before he even started.... If I wrote a trail book, it would probably have not much to do with the trail, sort of like "Trout Fishing in America".

MOWGLI
11-09-2006, 22:12
I read Lucky Cowboy's journal at the time, and I felt kinda bad for him. From his web site and journal entries, it sounded like he had no idea what he was getting himself into. But Cowboy didn't seem to have anyone for guidance (not sure if he didn't look, or didn't know that help was available anywhere.

I learned about his journal because he joined WB and posted a time or two. So... he was here. I too hope he gives it another whirl sometime. I imagine taking a guy from New Orleans and dropping him in the snowy North Georgia mountains was an intimidating experience.

Egads
11-09-2006, 22:15
Choosing your gear is the art of compromise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:cool:

However, you have to pity the Lucky Cowboy. He should have worked out the details over a few weekends.

Egads

bfitz
11-09-2006, 22:22
Yeah, it's hard to believe he went only 15 miles after all that preamble. And he said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done. I think setting up the website would be harder.

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 22:35
Yeah, it's hard to believe he went only 15 miles after all that preamble. And he said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done. I think setting up the website would be harder.

Yes, it was a shame he got that opportunity to bail right at the inveitable "Holy Mother of God, what have I gotten myself into" moment.

Without that, he might just have likely gone on to the next shelter, or taken another zero and ran into some other equally shell-shocked but enthusiastic starters, realized he wasn't alone and that everyone felt overwhelmed, then they would have pizza, beer and ice cream, someone would fart, they would all laugh and then sun would come out. And they would walk to Maine. :)

bfitz
11-09-2006, 23:03
Sounds like that knee might have been a factor as well. Someone told me once that their rule was "Never quit in town!"

sleeveless
11-09-2006, 23:21
alhikergal, I am going to chime in here. I think you are being way to sensitive but having said that I didn't read the email. I would have just assumed it was somebody trying to be helpful and if you didn't want his help just ignore it and don't get all bent out of shape. It did sound like he was pretty insensitive about his dog. I am sure that lots of people just took a look at me and figured that old overweight gal is never going to make it but I did, raccoon bite and all. It just plain didn't bother me when I am sure there were people who thought that! HYOH and sift through all the advice and keep what you want and discard the rest and just assume that it came from well meaning people not jerks.

Sleeveless '05

bfitz
11-09-2006, 23:27
....well meaning people not jerks.
I suppose it's possible to be both. In fact I know it is. I'm just not usually aware of it at the time...

RockyTrail
11-09-2006, 23:45
Yes, it was a shame he got that opportunity to bail right at the inveitable "Holy Mother of God, what have I gotten myself into" moment.

Without that, he might just have likely gone on to the next shelter, or taken another zero and ran into some other equally shell-shocked but enthusiastic starters, realized he wasn't alone and that everyone felt overwhelmed, then they would have pizza, beer and ice cream, someone would fart, they would all laugh and then sun would come out. And they would walk to Maine. :)

Yes! That's exactly what I was trying to say!
When you are cold, tired, or hungry, or just hitting the skids, beware of someone interjecting a thought into your mind, either intentionally or accidentally, happened to me more than once..

STEVEM
11-10-2006, 01:35
ALHikerGal, It seems like every activity has become very specialized. No matter what you are interested in there is an overwhelming selection of equipment available, and plenty of reasons why one item is better than another. To see what I mean, try to select a bicycle, digital camera or new running shoes. Hiking and camping equipment is no exception.

There is also no shortage of self-appointed experts who are more than willing to tell you how much they know and how wise you would be to take their advice. I listen politely to what they say then make my own choices.

Choosing the right fuel bottle or rain jacket won't get you to Maine.

What will get you there is your self confidence, determination and stubbornness. These are things that you cannot buy. They are however things that you can easily allow others to take from you.

Good Luck

Sly
11-10-2006, 01:42
There is also no shortage of self-appointed experts who are more than willing to tell you how much they know and how wise you would be to take their advice....

What will get you there is your self confidence, determination and stubbornness. These are things that you cannot buy. They are however things that you can easily allow others to take from you.

Steve, you sound like a self-appointed expert!

STEVEM
11-10-2006, 02:13
Steve, you sound like a self-appointed expert!

Sly, Maybe you're right, but in my experience the most successful people I have known were not the best educated, most skilled, or most intellegent. They were the people who would not accept NO for an answer.

I'm sure you have many personal stories of how hiking is a mental game.

LEGS
11-10-2006, 03:17
I did like the guy's soundtrack... It was like he was a legend before he even started.... If I wrote a trail book, it would probably have not much to do with the trail, sort of like "Trout Fishing in America".
have ya
checked out the price of that book lately? its amazing, i bought it back in the 70's for lil of nothing, now its worth about 3-400 dollars, but it was a funny piece of writing wasn't it?

skeeterfeeder
11-10-2006, 05:39
I have to say, tonight I was in for a great surprise. I kept reading everyone's comments on the Cowboy's website and I decided to go there.
I was ONLY 8 miles behind this guy. I didn't meet him, because he started at Springer while I was starting at Amicolola Springs, but what he was saying about the weather was true. It was that cold and that scarey. And the group from the Florida school he met on Sassafras pitched camp beside me at Hawk Mountain. I had heard of several people that had bailed after that storm on the 1st.
I too had feelings that I had really stepped in it this time, but he chose to leave and I chose to stay. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I chose the latter.
I am totally blown away......but I'm smiling.

kyhipo
11-10-2006, 08:03
I just love the expert hikers who know it all:rolleyes: .I usually pull up with old pack ,old gear ect ect,and well what I use is my choice.And well to be critical of another persons gear is just rude.ky

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 06:25
She still carrying that heavy azz Gregory? As a two-time Dana Designs Terraplane carrier I know better now!

If it ain't an Osprey, it ain't a pack. Thought you'd know that by now...

:eek:

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 06:28
She's already screwed.
Who's going to BUY a heavy-azz Nalgene?
Cut your losses. Put flowers in it. :)

I decided to never buy a Nalgene. However, I use the one I found in the hiker box at Shaw's all the time!

Gear you don't pay for is automatically better. (Some sort of Hobo rule or sumpin'.)

Lone Wolf
11-13-2006, 08:07
If it ain't an Osprey, it ain't a pack. Thought you'd know that by now...

:eek:

I proudly own a Gregory Shasta.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2006, 08:07
I decided to never buy a Nalgene. However, I use the one I found in the hiker box at Shaw's all the time!

Gear you don't pay for is automatically better. (Some sort of Hobo rule or sumpin'.)

I proudly own a Nalgene bottle.

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 08:15
I proudly own a Nalgene bottle.

Yeah, me too. I just didn't pay for it. Same as those boots I like to talk about.

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 08:16
I proudly own a Gregory Shasta.

You're not still hiking with that JanSport?

Jaybird
11-13-2006, 08:38
Another thought occurrs - this email might have been a well-intentioned but misguided protectiveness.
While there's certainly no need to take on someone's unwelcome cluelessness, pondering that might take some of the sting out. You sound like you're doing just fine on your own, and if you make a gear mistake, so what - everybody does. Plan on it. It's easily rectified.
The Trail itself is the best teacher, and everyone comes to their own workable ways. It always amazes me how varying are the gear systems of successful long distance hikers. There is no one "right way."

Hey LiteShoe...

when's your book coming out?
R U planning another thru?:D

saimyoji
11-13-2006, 13:41
I had my full length T-rest (2.5", ~4 lbs.) on a shake down hike last May, ran into a bunch of people on the trail. One stopped, looked me up and down and said something to the effect of: "you've almost got it right, but with that huge T-rest you'll never make it." I smiled and said something like: "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while I'm trying to decide between my 45* bag and my 30* bag tonite. Then I'll think of it again while I'm cooking on both my alcohol stove and my SPGigaPower AT THE SAME TIME. Then I'll consider it while I'm not cleaning my dishes from one meal and cleaning my dishes from the second meal because I'm not sure if I want to cook in my pots, or do freezer bag cooking."

He looked at me kind of quizzically, I then said, I'm only out for the weekend, I'm only doing about 20 miles. He frowned and walked on. I'm sure I had more fun that day than he did.

:D :banana :D

The Weasel
11-13-2006, 14:10
I'm sure I had more fun that day than he did.
:D :banana :D

Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

The Weasel