PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this bird?

StarLyte
11-07-2006, 14:09
Hi everyone--

I'd like to raise awareness in the Appalachian Trail Community regarding birds....yes birds of all things.

If you would take any time out of your day, week, or month to simply report any birds of interest, unusual, hurt, and even common sightings.

You would be surprised how many threatened and endangered species exist in your own backyard, not even guessing on or around the Appalachian Trail.

The key is to remember HOW to identify the bird: appearance, location and then vocalization are most important. A picture of the bird would be especially appreciated!

There are many online sources to reporting birds, the most popular, I believe is www.Birdsource.org
Their site explains how to get involved without commitment and you can track birds in your area as well.

It's a lot of fun for children too!

In my own back yard along the shores of Lake Erie, I have reported unusual bird sightings, mostly due to migration. I have even donated frozen dead birds to the Natural History Museum here in Cleveland, Ohio. I remember once donating a beautiful Pileated woodpecker (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.birdsamore.com/_images/woodpecker-pileated_350.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.birdsamore.com/byb/woodpecker-pileated.htm&h=263&w=350&sz=24&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=ou5UddeX1SL3LM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpileated%2Bwoodpecker%26svnum%3D10%26 hl%3Den%26hs%3DCfp%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX) who had just flown into someone's windshield by accident. The Natural History Museum was very excited to receive it.

Please try and take the time out, or at least think about it. Your children and their children will thank you.

Thanks!

StarLyte
11-07-2006, 14:42
I saw an ivory-billed woodpecker the other day.

Okay, I'll bite.

Did you really? If you did, you should try and report this immediately.

If you didn't, great attention getter :D

And for those of you who do not know, this bird was presumably extinct but recently sighted in the south.

sherrill
11-07-2006, 14:45
Saw a Northern (or Yellow, in these parts, NC) Flicker feeding on grubs in my yard. The only North American woodpecker that feeds on the ground, according to my Audubon field guide.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
11-07-2006, 15:41
Starlyte, You are so right about the birds. I have seen so many birds on the trail. It will help you identify birds if you can recognize their song.I have a great time just listening to the birds as I hike. If you are want more info get Peterson Feild Guides Birding by Ear at the local bookstore or probably on the internet.
We will start our NOBO Feb 15,2007.

Cookerhiker
11-07-2006, 16:28
I'm a half-hearted birder especially when hiking since I don't carry binoculars. Most of my favorite bird stories are from my northern New England hiking. One is hearing the call of the white-throated sparrow. The other is seeing a spruce grouse hen with her chicks strutting along the side of the trail near Ethan Pond, NH. The mom was trying to get my attention so I'd leave the chicks alone.

Oh, there was also the time hiking in Central Virginia when a Great Horned Owl kept me awake most of the night.

Lugnut
11-07-2006, 16:30
Marcia, since you like birds I know you will appreciate this poem written by Bluebird this August on the trail in Vermont:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=153466

Newb
11-07-2006, 16:51
Cool...
I took a picture of a bird at the Manassas Gap shelter last spring that I couldn't identify..now I'm gonna figure out what it was.

STEVEM
11-07-2006, 17:27
I'm a half-hearted birder especially when hiking since I don't carry binoculars. Most of my favorite bird stories are from my northern New England hiking. One is hearing the call of the white-throated sparrow. The other is seeing a spruce grouse hen with her chicks strutting along the side of the trail near Ethan Pond, NH. The mom was trying to get my attention so I'd leave the chicks alone.

Oh, there was also the time hiking in Central Virginia when a Great Horned Owl kept me awake most of the night.

The white throated sparrow is one of the first birdsongs I learned to Recognize: Just listen for "Oh Sweet Canada Canada Canada". I have flock of 10-15 which spends the entire winter at my feeders.

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 19:32
How about the spruce grouse up north?
I thought they were pretty fun.
Even now,when I look at the photos, I have to look twice - they blend in so well. Good thing, because they aren't that wary.

I have the very rare red cockaded woodpecker in my back woods. No joke.

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 19:36
How about the spruce grouse up north?
I thought they were pretty fun.
Even now,when I look at the photos, I have to look twice - they blend in so well. Good thing, because they aren't that wary.

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/4505/hanula/images/RCW/woodpecker2.jpg

and

http://tinyurl.com/yehwuz
:)

MOWGLI
11-07-2006, 19:39

Aha! Longleaf Pine in the back yard - with trees at least 75 years old! Sweet!

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 19:59
Aha! Longleaf Pine in the back yard - with trees at least 75 years old! Sweet!

Ah yes. Not to hijack the AT theme, but there are trees over 450 years old back there, according to the rangers who had borings done in 1980. That would make them closer to a half century now. Red cockadeds reproduce in the old growth pines, the only woodpeckers who next in live pines, I've been told. Since there are fewer ancient treasures like these old growth pines, there are fewer red cockaded woodpeckers

But that lovely pine savannah pic was a generic longleaf woods, Mowgli, not mine.

Despite repeated controlled burns, my old neighbors remain crowded by young turkey oak. The rangers finally went in last week and slashed the undergrowth. I imagine they will try to burn again in the spring, to encourage the seed/soil conact that young longleaf pine seedlings need. Lots of drama in the back yard! :)

Jan LiteShoe
11-07-2006, 20:01
Ah yes. Not to hijack the AT theme, but there are trees over 450 years old back there, according to the rangers who had borings done in 1980. That would make them closer to a half century now. Red cockadeds reproduce in the old growth pines, the only woodpeckers who next in live pines, I've been told. :)

Make that "nest" in longleaf pines.
Is there a way to edit a post? I'm not up on the technicals.

Heater
11-07-2006, 21:58
Make that "nest" in longleaf pines.
Is there a way to edit a post? I'm not up on the technicals.

Become a donating member.