PDA

View Full Version : How many of you often hike solo?

woodsy
11-08-2006, 08:54
I typically hike solo despite what the authorities say on this topic. For me it's a matter of convienence because weekdays when most others are hard at work is when I tend to hike. Never have encountered problems associated with going solo, that's not to say I never will, just that I'm willing push the envelope to get out there when the trails are quiet. How about you?

highway
11-08-2006, 09:09
Actually, most of my friends think I am crazy for wanting to hike at all. Its always the same old objections...I am going to get mugged, lost, eaten by some wild animal, die of hypothermia...I am going to WALK there? Are you nuts? Even my wife considers me partially deranged for doing it. Perhaps its why I like WhiteBlaze so much:-?

So, I always hike solo. i dont know anyone else crazy enough to go along:D

hammock engineer
11-08-2006, 09:09
I almost always go solo. I have the same problem are you. I ususally only can go during the week. I kind of like going solo. It gives me a chance to get all of the noise out of my head. But I still like to be around other people from time to time.

hammock engineer
11-08-2006, 09:11
Actually, most of my friends think I am crazy for wanting to hike at all. Its always the same old objections...I am going to get mugged, lost, eaten by some wild animal, die of hypothermia...I am going to WALK there? Are you nuts? Even my wife considers me partially deranged for doing it. Perhaps its why I like WhiteBlaze so much:-?

I understand that one. My friends want to start a pool for my hike with everyone picking a place I will get off the trail and the reason. I am fine with it as long as they let me pick that I am going to finish. I'll need the money when I get back.:D

jlb2012
11-08-2006, 09:15
I probably go solo more often than not but I still enjoy the occassional group hike too - typically I go a day early to get some solitude and then meet up with the group - typically these are hikes coordinated through thebackpacker.com/trips aka TT hikes

fiddlehead
11-08-2006, 09:16
Solo is best.
Less is more.

Even when we attempted our triple crown in one year, we often hiked alone after a while.
Being in tune with nature and having quiet surrounding you is often better than talking about things you already talked about. Dont' get me wrong, i appreciate a good conversation and it's nice to share memorable events with someone, but usually the very special moments come when it's you only with nature.
I've had amazing contacts with owls, elk, bears, deer and others when alone.
this talk about getting hurt out there is the last thing i would worry about.
Just yesterday i was in the woods searching for a guys property stakes and had an encounter with a ground hog that was pretty cool. wouldn't have happened had there been 2 of us.

Gaiter
11-08-2006, 10:38
short weekend hikes i prefer being w/ people, I'm also usually doing trails that are not as well know/traveled as the AT. anything long distance, i like being alone and self reliant, but at the end of the day, i like to get to a shelter or campsite with other people.

woodsy
11-08-2006, 10:52
Solo hikers are leading the pack, glad to see I'm not a lone ranger and some of the comments in the posts I couldn't have said better myself...."Are you nuts?"( don't always here it but see it in their eyes) "Being in tune with nature", "Solitude" , "self reliant," The outcome of the poll could be interesting if everyone at least votes.

Thor
11-08-2006, 11:05
I hike solo mostly because trying to keep up with other people is a pain ;)

Ender
11-08-2006, 11:08
There should be a "Usually" button... sometimes just isn't quite right. But always or never aren't right either. Whenever I go out for a weekend or a week, I almost always start alone, with a few exceptions. But for both of my long trips, I started with someone, even if both times I ended up hiking alone because of different hiking schedules, dropping off, etc...

And that doesn't even count just meeting people on the trail and hiking with them for a few days. So, I need an often or a usually button...

max patch
11-08-2006, 11:12
If wife or kids can't come, then I prefer to hike alone.

I'm always surprised how many people try to arrange group hikes on internet message boards rather than going solo. Different strokes, I guess.

orangebug
11-08-2006, 11:12
It's all good. I just like to get away far enough that we both get some solitude.

max patch
11-08-2006, 11:17
I don't belong to the GATC because to become a member you have to go on something like 3 or 4 group hikes to earn enough points to join. Sorry, but if get the opportunity to go out for the weekend I want to go where I want to go and at my own pace. Not part of a group.

I will say that every GATC member I've met at meetings, in the woods, or on the maintenance trip I did with them was a fantastic person. Just don't want to be tied down to a group.

Sly
11-08-2006, 11:57
I don't belong to the GATC because to become a member you have to go on something like 3 or 4 group hikes to earn enough points to join. Sorry, but if get the opportunity to go out for the weekend I want to go where I want to go and at my own pace. Not part of a group.

I will say that every GATC member I've met at meetings, in the woods, or on the maintenance trip I did with them was a fantastic person. Just don't want to be tied down to a group.

CMC used to be like that, either a hike or a work trip. I think they've changed the criteria for joining and you can just sign up. Sadly, I never got around to it when I lived there, but I did buy the AT plate which helped the trail in NC. I also did a couple work trips on the MST.

Undershaft
11-08-2006, 12:49
Hiking solo is the way to go for me. The logistics are so much easier and you never have to worry about anyone except yourself. This makes my hiking schedule much more flexible and enjoyable.

white rabbit
11-08-2006, 12:59
Almost always alone. My wife hates it and thinks I will be found dead in the woods some day. I hike with her some for short distances but she's not into long hikes. It is an eerie feeling to have a shelter all alone though.

Footslogger
11-08-2006, 13:12
Whenever my wife (BadAss Turtle) can't go, which isn't very often.

'Slogger

woodsy
11-08-2006, 13:28
There should be a "Usually" button... sometimes just isn't quite right. But always or never aren't right either. Whenever I go out for a weekend or a week, I almost always start alone, with a few exceptions. But for both of my long trips, I started with someone, even if both times I ended up hiking alone because of different hiking schedules, dropping off, etc...

And that doesn't even count just meeting people on the trail and hiking with them for a few days. So, I need an often or a usually button...

Should have used that 4th option for a "usually" button for those mixed bag hikes. Hmmm
Hiking here in Maine I don't usually run into those mixed bag scenarios cause hardly ever see anyone spring, late fall and winter. Not too big on summer hikes cause of the heat/humidity and crowds.

Seeker
11-08-2006, 13:55
i too would have liked a "usually" button...

i sometimes like having others around at night to talk to. but i like the freedom of doing everything my own way, at my own pace, even more. and like someone mentioned, meeting an animal is usually quite an experience if you're alone, less so when you're with someone else. and those meetings tend to happen more often when you're alone too.

when my daughter goes with me, it changes the whole experience. i tend to focus more on her than on getting something out of nature for myself. and that's fun too.

but solo is my preference.

spandau
11-08-2006, 14:00
How about 'Occasionally'?

I hike alone about 90% of the time. The other 10% is with an old friend, and we hike maybe once a month at the most. He's a great friend, and a seasoned hiker, so he's wonderful to hike with, but he is getting older and can't really go more than five miles at a time, unfortunately. I save short hikes for him, and do my longer AT training hikes on my own time.

With the one above exception, I also would rather hike alone. I can think, I don't have to hold up my end of a conversation, I don't have to worry about my pace, and I see a lot more animals when I am by myself. I'm also a classic introvert, which probably explains a lot. :)

otterman
11-08-2006, 14:29
I backpack for the solitude. Why would I want to go with a group? It also simplifies planning.

berninbush
11-08-2006, 14:32
I'm a novice backpacker... I've really only gotten into it this year and done three trips. Two of those were solo (unless you're counting my dog). I'll echo what's been said about liking to hike at my own pace and think my own thoughts.

Funny story from my last trip, last weekend: the trail I was on crossed an old logging road used by ATV's. I heard one approaching, so I stopped out of curiousity to see who was coming (and to make sure they didn't illegally get on my trail and run me over). The red-necked gentleman on the ATV stopped when he saw me and asked if I was lost. I told him what trail I was on, and that I had a map, and he fumbled an embarrassed explanation that he often saw lost people in that part of the woods. I strongly suspect he's not used to seeing a woman hiking alone!

Deerleg
11-08-2006, 19:42
If wife or kids can't come, then I prefer to hike alone.

Dittos Max Patch...love my solo's, but the hikes I liked the most were with the my wife and boys.

Bloodroot
11-08-2006, 19:45
Solo for me...sometimes company is nice, but I desire the solitude.

Vi+
11-08-2006, 20:00
Solo.

Start when you wish. Go where you wish. Stay as long as you wish. Change your plans as you wish. Stop when you wish.

There’s no need to speed up or slow down to stay together.

More wildlife encounters.

The more unnecessary others involved in anything, the greater the likelihood for failure.

We’ll all be found dead somewhere, alone or not. Available help is welcome, of course, for problems which can be ameliorated by another.

I’m not opposed to hiking with others but, if you don’t feel you need to, why do it? Besides, you get to hike with only the nicest of people - yourself.

drdewrag
11-08-2006, 20:10
I hike alone most of the time as well. My wife doesn't like the idea. But, logistically, and being a point to point hiker, it's nice to have another person for the whole "vehicle at the end of the route" thing. As someone mentioned above, it's good to be alone during the day and have a bit of company in the evening.

Oh, and if I take my last step on this earth on the trail, I have assured my wife that I died doing what I enjoy and my last thought was of her. She wasn't impressed...

Skidsteer
11-08-2006, 20:14

Actually it's one orientation meeting, one trail maintenance trip, and one event of your choice although a Club hike is suggested.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/membership.html

I understand your feelings, however, as GATC membership is one of the things I haven't been able to find time for either.

STEVEM
11-08-2006, 20:16

I agree. The only difference in my case is that my wife is sure I am totally deranged. She worries to much. It may be an RN thing.

I went on a few group hikes several years ago and found that nearly everyone was faster than me. My MD says that shows my BP medication
is doing its job properly, I guess I should believe him.

Since I hate to rush or have others wait for me I now hike solo. I happily step aside and let others pass. Whats the big rush anyway?

bfitz
11-08-2006, 23:20
I like to hike around people, but I don't like to alter my pace or someone else's. The freedom to change plans on the spur of the moment without making someone else worried or leaving them without a piece of shared gear is important on long hikes. If you're hiking with someone for a specific reason like showing someone the ropes or hiking a few days with your mom or whatever that's a different story.

Frosty
11-09-2006, 00:19
Should have used that 4th option for a "usually" button for those mixed bag hikes. Hmmm.Yes, I sometimes hike alone and sometimes with others.

Mostly I like to hike alone but have company at night in camp.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 03:07
About half and half. I like going solo - I really really like it. But on the other hand I love taking my boys out hiking and think it is a great way to bring them up. So I basically either go hiking solo or with my boys.

skeeterfeeder
11-09-2006, 03:59
I always go it alone. That way I can be totally spontaneous. If I want to go extra far, or not go as far, or take extra breaks, or spend half my day taking pictures or watching an animal I can without feeling like I am messing with someone else's hike.

Jaybird
11-09-2006, 07:01
I typically hike solo despite what the authorities say on this topic. ............etc,etc,etc,............. How about you?

i hike with a partner ("Jigsaw")...sort of.

We start out together in the morning...then he hikes away from me (he is a bit faster hiker than i)...but, we always wind up @ the end of the day @ the same destination....i actually enjoy the solitude......
its ALL good!:D

TOW
11-09-2006, 09:01
I typically hike solo despite what the authorities say on this topic. For me it's a matter of convienence because weekdays when most others are hard at work is when I tend to hike. Never have encountered problems associated with going solo, that's not to say I never will, just that I'm willing push the envelope to get out there when the trails are quiet. How about you?
I like to hike alone to a point, that is when I am hiking. But at the end of the day I enjoy meeting people at a campsite or a shelter.

Between 2000 and 2003 I continuosly hiked the trail and I was alone. There were some hairy moments. A few times I ran into undesirables and at least one of those times I figured I or he were going to die, thank God he decided to move on because of my bluff, however I was willing to back it up if I had to.

I haven't done much hiking in the last three years, however when I come back to it, I hope to find a hiking partner that hikes about the same speed I do, very leisurely. However I think it is best that we hike apart from each other during the day and then hang for the night.

Kerosene
11-09-2006, 09:19
I tend to walk myself, even if someone else has joined me for the trip. Ideally my partner is self-sufficient and I don't have to worry about them getting lost. I do enjoy sharing viewpoints and camp with others, just not hiking nose-to-butt.

unl1988
11-09-2006, 09:29
Tried the solo thing, but I didn't care for it. Something about having other folks around is nice. Normally, me and my partner will get together, start off together, then because I am a faster hiker, I will take off. I make it a point to wait for him at intersections or nice places to sit so we can catch up and spend some time together. The last day of our hike, I slow down so we can walk together, those are probably the best times there.

The times that I have gone solo, just got lonely. Not for everyone I guess.

Fritz

Alligator
11-09-2006, 09:42
I hike solo about 75% of the time. My hiking buddy moved closer though, so I can usually count on him to go more often.

max patch
11-09-2006, 09:45
Actually it's one orientation meeting, one trail maintenance trip, and one event of your choice although a Club hike is suggested.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/membership.html

I understand your feelings, however, as GATC membership is one of the things I haven't been able to find time for either.

Thanks for posting the update; they have certainly simplified the requirements for joining since I looked into becoming a member.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 09:55

I have the same issue with the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club. I would have joined two years ago except their rules say I can't until I go out with them.

http://www.smhclub.org/membership.htm

I don't always have time at their schedule, and when I do go hiking, I want to go with my boys where I want to go, or off on my own for personal reasons. Their loss I reckon since they have set their rules.

Alligator
11-09-2006, 10:00
I have the same issue with the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club. I would have joined two years ago except their rules say I can't until I go out with them.

http://www.smhclub.org/membership.htm

I don't always have time at their schedule, and when I do go hiking, I want to go with my boys where I want to go, or off on my own for personal reasons. Their loss I reckon since they have set their rules.Two work trips on the AT also qualifies for membership. That's a better deal IMO.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 10:10
Yes, and those are what I would prefer to do to earn membership if I has a schedule that worked for them - but when I am home, their schedule doesn't always fit mine. I travel a lot between about 4 different states when I am not in Iraq.

I would love to just join as a member - pay dues, support that way, get the newsletters and such. And when I could get out on a work trip - then do that.

Creating a system where you have to get involved on someone else's time schedule before you can even be considered to be allowed to join? Well it probably makes sense to them somehow - but has been a barrier to me and maybe others. Their loss. Honestly, I figure the BMTA, ATC, and ALDHA are happy to let me join and do things at my own pace than I have done more than most hikers have already - and for at least a couple of those organizations it has paid off. If the SMHC wants to play around like that, I am honestly not going to go out of my way to meet them at their leisure.

Alligator
11-09-2006, 10:15
It's a club. They just want to get to know you:sun .

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 10:18
Yes, but as I said - their policy doesn't fit into what my schedule allows. So if that is their policy, I will respect it and stay away from them.

VictoriaM
11-09-2006, 11:41
Up until recently I've been going solo almost exclusively, but then I met a very nice local girl who is also in training for a thru next year, and we hit it right off. Both of my overnights have been with her, and we are planning more.

woodsy
11-09-2006, 11:59
Hey everyone, thanks for all your votes and comments on why you choose to hike solo or otherwise. Many excellent comments. Keep em comming if you haven't already. I am just a little surprised that 50% of WB'ers don't mind soloing. But then again, many seasoned thrus,section,weekend and day hikers here.

SGT Rock
11-09-2006, 12:02
Going solo is really not bad at all. It is sort of liberating.

Shutterbug
11-09-2006, 13:05
I almost always hike solo, but recognize the risks. This summer I was hiking the Wonderland Trail. While I was attempting to climb over a fallen tree, I slipped and fell down a steep slope. Fortunately, I didn't hit my head. If I had been seriously injured, people would probably still be looking for me. Still, the rewards of hiking alone outweigh the risks.

Just last week, I hiked Emory Peak in Big Bend National Park alone. Being alone in a wilderness area with the bears and the mountain lions generates an excitement that is habit forming.

Shutterbug

Footslogger
11-09-2006, 13:13
[quote=Shutterbug;268869]Being alone in a wilderness area with the bears and the mountain lions generates an excitement that is habit forming.
==============================

I'm with you but for some it generates serious insomnia. By the way, we hiked near Emory Peak in Big Bend a few years back. Awesome country !!

'Slogger

neo
11-09-2006, 13:13
i dont like crowds,i only hike with my boys every now and then:cool: neo

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 13:37
i dont like crowds,i only hike with my boys every now and then

Then the three of you become a crowd. :-? :D :D :D

Chris_Asheville
11-09-2006, 15:41
I hike alone (mostly with my puppy) and still get scared when it gets dark. I'm 26! I know, pretty weak.

VictoriaM
11-09-2006, 16:45
I hike alone (mostly with my puppy) and still get scared when it gets dark. I'm 26! I know, pretty weak.

Not at all, I've been a little scared to night hike until recently. My advice: get yourself a good reliable headlamp and just do it. Once you've night hiked, you'll see it's no big deal.

weary
11-09-2006, 17:13
Your poll has no place for those of us in the "almost always" solo category, though I welcome family members and interesting friends to come along occasionally.

Weary

Hana_Hanger
11-09-2006, 17:21
Short Hikes ~ Enjoy the company of family and friends

Long Hikes ~ Backpacking prefer Solo...for all the reasons already stated in this thread by many others.

I have never had the use of any shelters as yet so do not know if I would like staying in them at night or not. So far off hidden by myself while sleeping has been just fine for me.

Yet again I could change my mind on a hike that would last longer than 14 days...going solo that is.

I hope to find out soon :)

woodsy
11-09-2006, 17:23
Weary,
You are right. You will have to forgive me for this oversight and it seems some others will too. Ho-hum, Try clicking always and sometimes at the same time. That's the best advice I can offer at this time.

FHThiker
11-09-2006, 18:25
I vote for solo...99% of the time.

Funny story to share: I hike quite a bit. I would be classified as a weekend hiker...like to get out and do 10-15 mile days over fairly strenuous terrain...I like a good challenge. Well, back in the Spring, my lovely wife decided she wanted to share this pasttime with me. She even agreed to do an overnighter with me. I was excited about this. To make the experience as enjoyable as possible for her, I packed EVERYTHING in my pack...we're talking two sleeping bags, two sleeping pads, two person tent, clothes, food, cook set...my pack was well over 40 lbs for just an overnighter (YIKES!). The only thing she had to carry was a water bottle and whatever "girlie" stuff she wanted to bring along. Well, I was thinking that since I had all that weight on my back, a "strenuous" level trail should be just the trick; maybe the weight would slow me down to a pace that my wife would enjoy.

Well, this was NOT the case. She gripped, complained and I received looks from my wife that I've never seen before. It was 12 miles round-trip (6 in, 6 out, but strenuous). She kept telling me to go ahead, so I would...then I would end up doubling back many many times to check on her...she was SOOOO pissed that I took her on a "strenuous" trail...again, I was thinking that the weight of the pack would slow me down enough. Well, at the end of the first day, she wasn't speaking to me. Later that night, she said there should be a category above strenuous called "divorce"-level trail ;) The next morning walking out was just as miserable for *both* of us...

So, long story short...I prefer to hike alone...my wife has never even inquired about going hiking/backpacking me with again.

Seriously though, I just completed the Foothills Trail in SC back in October in 5 days (@ 80 miles) and I couldn't imagine hiking with someone else...there's just too many times that you want to rest, or keep pushing, or feel great, or feel crappy...I just couldn't imagine trying to align all that with someone else's hike.

I really do like that old motto: "Hike your own hike..." :)

general
11-09-2006, 19:18
if i waited for someone else, i would never go

woodsy
11-09-2006, 19:48

Ha, That's one of my favorites lines.

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 20:10

I've been trying to get a colleague, a self-proclaimed Eagle Scout, to go with me for nearly a year. If I didn't go everytime something came up for him, well, I guess my photos still wouldn't show up on the front page. :(

:D

handlebar
11-09-2006, 23:23
Friends have told me I'm crazy when I told them I was off for a multiday solo backpack. I guess they figure someone as old as I am (61) shouldn't be out in the woods alone. Nonetheless I do enjoy the solitude and quiet. You can do what you want when you want.

On the other hand I hooked up with some great hiking partners on my AT Thru this year. The key was that these guys pretty much hiked at the same pace as I did, but wouldn't be close enough to step on my heels or far enough ahead that I felt left behind. Another key was that neither of us felt we had to make conversation. We could go for an hour without saying anything then launch into a conversation of just about anything.

I used to enjoy hiking with my daughters or wife, but the daughters have grown up and moved away and my wife suffered an injury which will keep her from backpacking.

It's easy to hook up with hiking buddies on the AT if you're hiking NOBO in March. For weekend or weeklong trips, I'd just as soon go alone.

Vi+
11-10-2006, 14:09
I don’t think it would be valid to extrapolate from this poll and generalize to all hikers, or all White Blaze members. I suspect, hikers who prefer going solo, in whatever form it takes for them, would be much more inclined to open this thread and participate.

I think this is an inherent "problem" with any online poll. I don't open threads which don't interest me. I wouldn't, therefore, participate in any polls contained within them.

Crash
11-10-2006, 23:19
I've joined a couple of clubs just to support their activities and maintenance of the AT. But require me to actually force me to go on their hikes in order to be a member??!! Thats just crazy.

Wanderingson
11-11-2006, 08:16
Dpends on where I'm hiking and other variables. Sometimes just getting away and spending time with just the voices in my head is a great thing. Other times, I wouldn't think about doing solo. Having spent nearly 3 years in Northern Japan, every winter hike was with at least one other person. Winter storms rolled in with the snap of the fingers and instant white out conditions with high winds. Having someone else along alway eased the feeling of something going south. Besides, having several folks on a winter hike provided for additional resources for emergency purposes.

I can vividly recall one trip where my hiking partner saved our asses during a winter storm by breaking out his GPS with the mountain hut stored as a waypoint. The blinding snow made us miss the turn to the hut and we got twisted around. We walked in circles for about 30 minutes before the GPS came out and the hut was within 800 feet. We could not see the hut until we were right up on it. The trip ended up to be one of the best trips of the winter.

wilderness bob
11-11-2006, 09:26
I start out Solo and usually do not mind the company I meet along the trail (hikers are good people). If there is an issue or I choose to be alone, I just take a break along the trail and let the others move on.

NECKBONE
11-11-2006, 11:11
SOLO, SOLO, SOLO!
However, later this month I am taking a newbie out for 3 days.
But I prefer SOLO.
Neckbone

Wolf - 23000
11-11-2006, 12:59
I've hiked over 22,000 miles alone and around 1,500 miles with someone. Sometimes it nice having peace and quite.

Wolf

canoehead
11-11-2006, 14:03
solo
I love it and do it all the time.
Be prepared and leave a plan with someone who cares if you come back.