PDA

View Full Version : Nov 11-12 Max Patch - Hot Springs

Gaiter
11-08-2006, 10:34
Triad Hikers is planning a trip for this weekend and still have room if any one is interested (I know, its last min.) We are going from Max Patch to Hot Springs, which is 21 miles mostly downhill.

Also to anyone who has done this section, from looking at maps and guide books, no campsites are shown that are around half way there, the closest i'm seeing, is Walnut Mtn. Shelter (7.5 from m.p.). Does anyone know if there is a campsite closer to around half way?

orangebug
11-08-2006, 11:11
Certainly, one good campsite is Grassy Gap (I hope I have the name right). It is near the end of paved road the goes to a gated FS road. There are power lines over it. Choices for camping would be under power lines or in the pastures near the road. I believe there is water in a stream below this gap as you go toward Hot Springs (trail north) and quite close.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2006, 11:59
Sounds like a wonderful hike. Wish we could go, but I have other commitments.

SouthMark
11-08-2006, 13:42
About .1 mile north of the summit of Bluff Mtn. there is a good campsite on left side of trail and a good spring about 50 yards further down the trail (50 more yards on blue blaze tril to left). Stayed there in May. About 10 mile from Hot Springs.

Captain Slider
11-08-2006, 15:16
How are you working out the shuttle for the trip..? Where would I find the starting point..?

Gaiter
11-08-2006, 15:36
I have talked to Bluff Mtn Outfitters about a shuttle for sat morning, waiting to confirm exact no. of people in order to get price. And we will be starting at Max Patch Rd. SR 1182. Hoping to find a campsite just north of Bluff Mtn like Southmark said. (thanks southmark)

Lilred
11-09-2006, 18:00
Sounds like a great time. Wish I could go with you. Have a Blast!!