PDA

View Full Version : I need boot help...

Dancer
11-08-2006, 20:05
Hey y'all, I have two pairs of hiking boots that I am breaking in for next year. One pair are all leather and supposedly 'waterproof' and the other pair are canvas & leather. Both fit great and the breaking in is going good.

My question is which pair I should start my SOBO thru in next year? Should I start out with the leather to try and keep my feet dry in the swollen streams of Maine or save them for the warmth they may provide in the southern fall temps?

I've read everything I can get my hands on on boots but nothing really addresses this. thanks

amazonwoman.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2006, 20:10
AW--

Good plan to break boots in ahead of time, but be aware that by the time you're ready to replace the first pair, your feet may have grown so large from constant stress and swelling that the second pair may not fit. This happens to an awful lot of folks.

So the quick answer is that since your 2nd pair might not work out for you, I'd start the trip in the pair that's the most broken in and feels the best.

weary
11-08-2006, 20:33
AW....the quick answer is that since your 2nd pair might not work out for you, I'd start the trip in the pair that's the most broken in and feels the best.
Jack is right. Especially since there is no way to keep any boot dry in the rain swollen streams of Maine in late spring and early summer.

Weary

emerald
11-09-2006, 01:25
Regardless of which pair you choose to begin your hike, you may be in need of another pair by the time you reach Pennsylvania.

It is important to note that you intend to hike SOBO. That may be something those responding to your question may want to consider before replying.

Much of Maine may be wet aside from the fords and your boots may never dry out.

You might want to start with lighter boots that would dry more rapidly, but by the time you reach higher ground, I'd want to switch to heavier boots that can take the abuse the rocks will dole out and provide more protection for you precious feet.

Maybe you could start with your lighter boots and send them home at Stratton or better yet Rangeley and resume wearing them again at Duncannon. I would at least consider wearing more substantial boots between DWG and Duncannon. Many wouldn't go to that much trouble, but I might.

If you rotate your boots, you may get through the entire A.T. on the 2 pairs, provided they will both continue to fit.

I look forward to reading what others have to say on this question!

emerald
11-09-2006, 01:40
Your 'waterproof' boots won't keep your feet dry if you wear them to ford streams and you should expect to do no small amount of that in Maine.

Mr. Clean
11-09-2006, 04:52
Shades of Gray stole my words...you will probably want heavier boots for the rocks of New Hampshire and southwestern Maine. Lighter boots dry out faster, but neither will dry overnight anyway, and though I do day hikes in mid height leather/fabric boots, if I were out on those rocks for several days, I personally would want heavier boots.

Now, I am dreaming of a boot in between the heavy leathers and mid height cross-breeds, but will have to see if Santa sees fit to leave me a pair. :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean
11-09-2006, 04:53
300 posts!! :banana :banana :banana :sun

Jaybird
11-09-2006, 06:49
Hey y'all, I have two pairs of hiking boots that I am breaking in for next year. One pair are all leather and supposedly 'waterproof' and the other pair are canvas & leather. Both fit great and the breaking in is going good. My question is which pair I should start my SOBO thru in next year? amazonwoman.

AmazonWoman:

go fer the heavier boots @ the beginning @ like has been said...break those babies in first....(i broke my Vasque Sundowners in out in Red Rock Country out West!)...weatherproof.....altho a nice selling point...if youre on the trail for any amount of time....your feet (& the rest of u) get soaked!:D

Good luck with yer hike!

khaynie
11-09-2006, 07:25
If you like your boots and they work good for you, then by all means hike in them. Just consider that no matter how hard you try to keep your feet dry, know that it's a losing battle.

With that said, ahhh...Maine - cannot remember my feet being dry once. So, whichever boots feel good on your feet, won't weigh a ton when water logged, and will hold up over the rough terrain, then take that one.

I chose to start my SOBO with a gore tex trail runner. They (salomon's) were literally in pieces upon my entry into NH ~ soles were coming off and those silly quick tie laces were a joke. Had to replace in Gorham. See pic below...

I will say this: I would have given anything to have had gore tex boots going through the Smoky's last year. After hiking 3 days in row through the snow in a non-gore tex trail runner, I thought my feet were going to fall off:eek:

In hind sight, I would have started in more of a hybrid shoe ~ cross between a hiking boot and a trail runner - ones with actual laces. That was what I switched in NY and they took me all the way to Damascus. But for the colder months, I would have switched to a good gore tex hiking boot. Perhaps an Asolo or Vasque:-?

Good luck on your hike!

hopefulhiker
11-09-2006, 08:49
I hiked Nobo in a wet spring last year. I started out with Sundowners but I found they weren't waterproof.. I ended up painting them all over with seam sealer every ten days or so.. They didn't breath any more but at least my feet were dry... I ended up switching to Montrail trai runners and did not regret it....

Kerosene
11-09-2006, 10:45
Assuming your "waterproof" boots use a GTX bootie liner, I'd go with the lighter pair and periodically apply a waterproof agent like Nikwax Fabric/Leather Waterproofing (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=5161&memberId=12500226). I've found that my GTX-lined boots keep my feet pretty dry for a day or two, but once they get wet inside (and they will) it takes forever for them to dry out.

Jim Adams
11-09-2006, 11:11
AW,
i started my nobo '02 thru with sundowners due to colder weather, mud and out of hiking shape ankles and used them until Damascus. i switched to new balance cross trainers and used them to Gorham BUT i arrived in Gorham with large blisters on the soles of both feet due to the lack of shoe tightness/fit in the rocks of the Whites. i switched back to my sundowners for Maine and never had another problem.
geek

Dancer
11-09-2006, 11:27
Thanks kids,

I must clarify that I will be fording streams in my tevas.

I think I am going to keep breaking in both and see which pair I actually look forward to putting on everyday. If I don't see a clear winner floating to the top I might just start out in the leather ones and then switch if they seem too heavy or wet on the trail.

Amazonwoman

zuluhartzbackpack
11-09-2006, 11:30
i wear my chaco's as my full time hiking boot