PDA

View Full Version : A question about AT surface outside NJ

nails
11-08-2006, 21:09
I'm a novice hiker and have only been on the AT in New Jersey. While staying at a shelter I was reading the log. There were several references from Thru-Hikers about the rocks in NJ. Some were hoping the rocks ended soon, others stated that it was hard on their knees, etc. I know that the surface of the AT on the sections I've hiked has been very rocky. So my question is: What is the surface like in other areas? Is the rockiness distinct to the NJ section? Just curious. Thanks.

d2m
11-08-2006, 21:51
generaly speaking there are rocks everywhere. in my opinion it has more to do with the types of rocks in that area ( and in the northern pa for that matter ) it seemed to me that there are a lot of sharp pointy rocks, that are spaced fare enough appart that it is hard to get into a rythem. most people that i have had this discussion with has said that it is one of the rockyiest sections starting at duncannon and ending in high point. but personally i feel that i saw and experienced rocks everywhere and probaly walked over more rocks in nh and me than i did in pa or nj

gumball
11-08-2006, 22:03
Try not to let the rocks psyche you out, nails. That's a particularly annoying section for rocks and I used to hate them, but found that they were wearing more on my mind than on my feet.

Switching to trail runners and out of my boots seemed to help me as well.

Just have fun :)

Kerosene
11-09-2006, 09:16
I've been section hiking the AT since the 70's. I started with the Mid-Atlantic states since I lived in NY and NJ at the time, so I was used to the rocks. Northern PA rocks seemed to be the worst, but at least you could get a stride going if your ankles were sufficiently strong to handle the constant twisting. While there are rocks in every state, I'd have to say that the trail surface is generally a lot smoother south of Shenendoah National Park. The trail surface through the Whites and into Maine involves a lot of rock-hopping, which really puts a crimp in your stride.

Each state has it's attractions. You'll do fine if you don't let the rocks and rain bog you down and you're in reasonable shape to get up and down the higher mountains you'll encounter outside of NJ.

Jan LiteShoe
11-09-2006, 09:27
And there are alldifferent kinds of rocks, with different effects - some large bouldery jumbled stretches in PA (around Bake Oven Knob is one spot that comes to mind), pointy, foot-chewing rocks like the first two days of NJ and parts of PA, large vertical jumbles of rock, like NH, and Lehigh Gap in PA I suppose. But parts of all these states are flat too (the Gamelands in PA, for ex.).

While parts (like parts of the Whites and southern Maine) can be challenging to climb, I think most of the comments arise due to footsore backpackers trying to travel 15-20 miles a day by the time they hit PA. It's hard to hit your stride.

Weather also plays a part. A dry, breezy, sunny day when all is right with the world puts a different slant on things. Wet rocks are trickier, less traction due to slickness.

Personally, I always thought the rocks before Waynesboro, VA were the most stride-agravating, but that's probably because when I walked them it was a cold, rainy day (slick) and I was in a hurry.

Rocks are just part of the trail. While it's natural to worry about the unknown, the good news is, the trail teaches you what to do. You learn to walk differently. You adapt without thinking.

Sleepy the Arab
11-09-2006, 21:53
Personally, I always thought the rocks before Waynesboro, VA were the most stride-agravating.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Reed's Gap to ten miles north always, consistantly, and without fail, drives me nutty. I got so annoyed one year, I started walking the BRP, and then got a hitch to Waynesboro a mile later. Dam rocks. It doesn't help that that section is also home to one of the most roundabout relo's on the Trail, the purpose of which seems only to be adding four miles.

Okay, my eye is getting all twitchy so I have to stop thinking about it.

handlebar
11-10-2006, 18:46
Worst rocks without a doubt, especially in wet weather are the slate rocks just north of Monson ME. All six we camped with that night had slipped and fallen on those sliding boards.

emerald
11-10-2006, 19:41
I had understood there are only rocks of one kind and they're all located in the eastern 2/3rds of Pennsylvania. Not so? This is a most informative thread! Thanks for starting it nails.;)

If there are rocks everywhere and they're of an almost endless variety of compostions, shapes and sizes, I think I just might take up hiking. I believe it would be very interesting to hike on the A.T.

It pleases me to learn that the treadway is not uniform from Springer Mountain all the way to Katahdin. Month after month of same old, same old would get, well, old and fast!:)

emerald
11-10-2006, 20:58
Reed's Gap to ten miles north always, consistantly, and without fail, drives me nutty. I got so annoyed one year, I started walking the BRP, and then got a hitch to Waynesboro a mile later. Dam rocks.

Just wandering, how many times do you think you would need to hike this section in succession, until whatever it is that bothers you about it passed and could the fix be lasting, even permanent and might it impact upon your hiking experiences elsewhere, i.e. would what you learned be transferrable?

You might want to come up with some high-powered affirmations to repeat as you go about this desensitization hike. Here are a few suggestions:

I love hiking on these rocks. With each step, I feel more at peace with myself.
I am seriously in flow with the trail as it winds amongst these rocks.
With each step, my mind becomes stronger.
Hiking on rocks helps me to focus on the task at hand.
There is no where else I would rather be than right here, right now.
I am a man, a manly man and I hop rocks with the most manly of men.
I am well on my way to becoming a world-class rock-hopper.
If all else fails, I will not go hungry. I know how to make rock soup and my personal warmth attracts other hikers and the vegetables they add to the pot.:sunThe rocks made me yellow-blaze. Matter over mind, never mind!:rolleyes::D

emerald
11-10-2006, 21:19
Foot-chewing rocks

and sock-chewing mice I can take, but woe unto any mouse that chews on my feet.:eek:;)

emerald
11-10-2006, 21:44
I think most of the comments arise due to footsore backpackers trying to travel 15-20 miles a day by the time they hit PA. It's hard to hit your stride.

I think Pennsylvania was about the time I found mine. It was said of my hike by someone in a register whose name I no longer recall that I caught fire in my home state. I might add, it was about time.;)

Anyone else? Surely someone has something to add, or have I gotten the last word yet again?

nails
11-14-2006, 19:47
Actually I have become pretty adept with the rocks. I like to think it's Zen or Karma, I get in a zone and maintain a nice pace. However, my hiking partner is horrible with the rocks, particularly downhill. So, although I start out hiking with my buddy, I end up hiking alone until breaktime. Anyway, it's good to hear that other parts of the AT are a little more forgiving on the soles.

emerald
11-16-2006, 03:27
Actually I have become pretty adept with the rocks. However, my hiking partner is horrible with the rocks, particularly downhill.

I find this business of people reacting negatively to rocks or experiencing difficulty with them interesting and would like to explore the phenomenon further.

I find hiking where I must determine my own course from among the many options presented engaging. Flat, smooth treadway is unappealing to me. I like to be in a postion where I must constantly evaluate the treadway as I walk, figure out how I will react to what I observe and seamlessly translate observations into action based upon experience and instinct, which I'm guessing may be nothing more than accumulated experience stored in the subconsious.

When I get to downhill portions that's just an invitation to go faster! Often, I find myself going faster only to I realize I ought to slow down before I crash.

So what do you mean when you say horrible? It does sound like you and your hiking partner have found a way of adapting to this difference that allows the two of you to continue to spend at least some time together. I like that.:) Have the two of you discussed what might be the cause of this difference?

nails
11-18-2006, 10:07
By "horrible" I mean every step is examined and progressed though slowly. The a reexamination occurs for the next step. I am with you, I am challenged by the surface and I am always planning about 6 to 10 feet ahead.
We have discussed our different rates of speed, the uphills are the equalizer for us, I'm slow going up. Otherwise we don't worry about it, when we take breaks we make fun of each other and move on.
One thing I will say though is, the easier the surface the more I look around and enjoy the surroundings.