PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Question...

Sly
11-09-2006, 10:26
I noticed most new digital cameras no longer have a viewfinder. I'm specificall y intrested in the Olympus Stylus 740.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1265

Anyone have an opinion on this camera or others without viewfinders? A couple reviews on Amazon.com thought they were terrible outdoors and the screen was washed out

Footslogger
11-09-2006, 10:36
I noticed most new digital cameras no longer have a viewfinder. I'm specificall y intrested in the Olympus Stylus 740.

Anyone have an opinion on this camera or others without viewfinders? A couple reviews on Amazon.com thought they were terrible outdoors and the screen was washed out
==================

Sly ...I ran into the whole NO Viewfinder thing when I bought my new Cannon. Seems like that's the trade-off for the larger LCD screens.

Don't have experience with that specific model Oly camera but have used several of their models and have liked them. Only reason I opted for Cannon this time was that I got it "free" (well, sort of) with points from my Visa card. If I had it to do all over again I would be looking at the Oly Stylus waterproof cameras.

'Slogger

highway
11-09-2006, 10:45
Google/Ask "digital camera review" and read what others say. i once wanted a waterproof to 10' Olympus but lack of viewfinder was one of the drawbacks-and I am not sure it is a 'standard' for all digital cameras. In bright light i suspect you may wish you had the optical viewfinder. But, I am no expert, and dont really know. I use a canon Elph, older and am looking to upgrade to a newer version of the same as it is so small, built like a tank and takes quite good fotos.

cameras are likely similar to shoes in that we all have our opinion on them yet they will all work-just perhaps some slightly better than others:D

Alligator
11-09-2006, 10:45
The Old Fhart had a nice little digital at the Gathering. It had a little clip on shade that went over the screen.

I have a view finder on mine, but I tend to use the screen only. Not using the screen saves battery power. But with a spare battery, I've never run out of power, even on a week trip. This will depend on your camera.

One use that I found to be a huge drain on my camera though was the voice record. After 45 minutes, the battery was killed. I think it could be that the screen is on at the same time, so I need to test the voice record with the screen off.

trippclark
11-09-2006, 10:49

I have the Olympus 720SW

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225

and like it alot. Feature and price wise it is similar to the 740, and it also has no viewfinder (which I was skeptical about also). The two digital cameras that I had before this one both had viewfinders (and both were Olympus). The 720SW is waterproof and shockproof - features that I like. While I don't do a lot of underwater photography (especially while backpacking), it is nice to have that versatility.

I find the "bright capture technology" that both of these cameras have to be particularly useful for indoor photography.

Good luck!

Sly
11-09-2006, 10:51
Hmmm, point and shoot may have a new meaning. It looks like a great camera, if it have a viewfinder...

highway
11-09-2006, 11:04
I have the Olympus 720SW

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225

and like it alot. Feature and price wise it is similar to the 740, and it also has no viewfinder (which I was skeptical about also). The two digital cameras that I had before this one both had viewfinders (and both were Olympus). The 720SW is waterproof and shockproof - features that I like. While I don't do a lot of underwater photography (especially while backpacking), it is nice to have that versatility.

I find the "bright capture technology" that both of these cameras have to be particularly useful for indoor photography.

Good luck!

Any drawbacks at all to it, since you use one?
There was another thread about this a short time ago.
I do like the waterproof aspect but was skeptical about lack of viewfinder and one review place saying photo quality was inferior, or something like that. But, the reality is, not being a camera 'afficionado' I probably wouldnt even know the difference, anyway. I have to replace my 4 year old Canon since it is beginning to become a little temperamental.

chris
11-09-2006, 11:20
Most point and shoot cameras will work about as well as any other. So, go by features. If you want a view finder, look for a different camera because the performance will be about the same as the Olympus. That being said, I used to use an Olympus Camedia D395 digital point and shoot and liked it quite a bit. I upgraded to other stuff and no longer use it much. Remember to ignore megaipixel count. Something with 3 or 4 MP will be just as good as a 5 or 6 MP camera.

trippclark
11-09-2006, 11:27
Any drawbacks at all to it, since you use one?
There was another thread about this a short time ago.
I do like the waterproof aspect but was skeptical about lack of viewfinder and one review place saying photo quality was inferior, or something like that. But, the reality is, not being a camera 'afficionado' I probably wouldnt even know the difference, anyway. I have to replace my 4 year old Canon since it is beginning to become a little temperamental.

Drawbacks are outweighed by positives, but

* I would like a viewfinder, but have found this not nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be

* proprietary rechargeable batteries are less than ideal for long backpacking trips. I bought two extra batteries and have never run down all three, but for a thru, this would be a challenge

* Because it is fairly ruggedized, it is heavier than the lightest models out there . . . but at 5.3 ounces (+ less than an ounce for the 2 extra batteries I carry), it is still on the lighter side of the camera spectrum

* Optical zoom is only 3x. While 3x is fairly common for cameras today, most would agree that a larger number would be better.

Oh, and one feature that I really, really like, but have not heard anyone mention, is the ability to record a sound memo with every picture. This is really cool for bakpacking IMHO. Here is how it works. When the feature is turned on, after each picture the camera microphone turns on and records a brief audio clip (4 - 5 seconds). This clip is saved on the chip with the same filename (except with and audio extension - don't recall what format). When you play it back as a slideshow from the camera, it plays the audio clip when the image displays. When you save it back to your PC, this audio file can be an identifier for you. I use this to say where I am on the trail when I take a certain picture and things like that. It helps me to later better organize and identify photos. Thsi may be a common feature now, I am not sure, but it was new to me as neither of my previous digital cameras had this.

otterman
11-09-2006, 11:47
The two drawbacks that I can think of immediately are:
1) Not being able to see the screen in bright light.
2) A viewfinder makes it quicker to take a picture. You just put your eye to the viewfinder when you need that quick shot of a deer rather than doing that circular swaying motion that you see so many people doing when trying to compose a picture through a screen.

I thought the screen was kind of cool when I got my first digital camera and I used it a lot. Now I only use the viewfinder because it is quicker and simpler. Missed too many pictures of animals and active little kids.I only use the screen to view pictures I have already taken.

adh24
11-09-2006, 12:15
I use a sony cyber shot. It has a few finder but the screen is supper big like 2.5" I think. takes great pics and even outside it's easy to see the screen.

Chris_Asheville
11-09-2006, 15:43
If you can afford it, get the Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's awesome. It makes taking professional quality photos easy and it has a viewfinder!

fiddlehead
11-09-2006, 15:53
To change the subject a little bit, I had a Nikon Coolpix which i liked a lot and was very used to, then it broke (took about 7,000 pix first)
I bought a Kodak something for about $150. I don't like this new camera because when i go to take a picture, there is ALWAYS a delay between snapping the pix and when the camera takes the picture. I Hate That!
My Nikon never did that and i am thinking about getting another Nikon although perhaps a newer one with more megapixels.
So, I would like to check back for some possible feedback on what other cameras are good and take the picture WHEN YOU PUSH THE BUTTON and not a second later! Thanks in advance

Sly
11-09-2006, 16:31
If you can afford it, get the Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's awesome. It makes taking professional quality photos easy and it has a viewfinder!

Thanks, but I want something light and slim I can slip in my pocket.

hopefulhiker
11-09-2006, 16:40
I used a cheap digital camera that didn't have a view finder, I could not even see what I was taking a picture of sometimes,, but the photos came out OK for the most part... I am interested in the Kodak panoramic one the kind that stiches the photos together for you as you take the photos, that was my biggest regret with photography was that I could not take the wide angle shots...

Gaiter
11-09-2006, 16:45
Since i'm used to SLR cameras like the rebel xt and other cannon 35mm slr's, I'm partial to having a view finder. Also if you are taking mostly outdoor shots, you want a viewfinder, the screens can be hard to see when outdoors.
Another disadvantage to having an SLR on a hike besides weight and size, is that you gotta have the right lens for different things which increases your weight.

LostInSpace
11-09-2006, 16:47
Most of the time when I hike, I wear contact lenses, which causes me to need my reading glasses to focus on something close. My digicam viewfinder has an adjustable diopter that makes the viewfinder easier for me to use than the LCD screen. This might be a feature to consider for some people.

weary
11-09-2006, 17:05

After months (years?) of procrastination, I've finally jumped into digital photography. Ultralighters will frown, but after a lot of looking I've settled on a Panasonic DMC FZ7. It has a 12 X Zoom AND allegedly the industry's best anti-jitter device, something that is important given the long focus and my increasingly shaky hands and legs.

It has an eye level view finder and a large digital screen. So far I'm happy, though it weighs 14.5 ounces, complete with batteries and carrying strap. Actually it seems light, since my basic film camera, an Olympus SLR weighs around 25 ounces.

My big complaint. It has too many choices. I haven't counted, but I suspect it has 3-400 or so different settings and combinations of settings, including several point and shoot modes.

Anyway, it's fun to be able to point at a bird and expect something to actually be identifiable. The lens is about the equivaLENT OF 36-450 on a 35 mm film camera.

Weary

bigcranky
11-09-2006, 17:15
I thought I would hate any camera without an optical viewfinder. But we bought the Pentax Optio WPi for my lovely wife, and liked it so much we bought one for the hiker offspring, too. The WPi is slim and fits easily in a pocket, though I would recommend the black slim case which protects both the lens and the LCD screen. (It's not padded, but the case has a hard panel over the delicate parts of the camera.) The pictures are fine for a point-and-shoot camera, and it's waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

I have heard nice things about the Olympus Stylus digital cameras, but haven't used any myself. If they are anything like the long line of Olympus P+S film cameras, they should be quite good. I still have my XA and XA2, and passed my Stylus zoom camera on to my mother in law.

My "perfect" compact camera finally came out last week:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicam8/

But, uh, five grand might be out of my price range at the moment. Especially since it's not a work camera. But I can dream.

Ramble~On
11-09-2006, 18:16

Good call on the EOS Chris. Canon released an updated version of the Rebel...the Rebel XTi which offers 10.1 mp...they're really nice but a SLR might be bulkier and heavier than most backpackers would be into.

For backpacking I'd steer anyone in the direction of something like a
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2S....10.1 megapixels with a LEICA lens ! and 28mm-112mm (35mm equiv.) 4x optical and 4x digital zoom. This camera has image stabilization which is a feature that I'd want.

The Olympus Stylus 740 has a 5x optical zoom, has image stabilization and is 7.1 megapixels...and in my opinion is another sweet point and shoot.

If you're in the market for your first digital camera and don't want to shell out big dollars...take a look at the Olympus "Camedia" line.

Footslogger
11-09-2006, 18:27
[quote=SpiritWind;269010]
For backpacking I'd steer anyone in the direction of something like a
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2S....10.1 megapixels with a LEICA lens ! and 28mm-112mm (35mm equiv.) 4x optical and 4x digital zoom. This camera has image stabilization which is a feature that I'd want.
===================================

Can't speak to this model but I carried an earlier generation Panasonic Lumix DMC series camera on my thru in 2003. I can vouch for their durability, reliability under rough conditions.

'Slogger

Ramble~On
11-09-2006, 18:33
After months (years?) of procrastination, I've finally jumped into digital photography. Ultralighters will frown, but after a lot of looking I've settled on a Panasonic DMC FZ7.
Weary

:D Me too. Actually a Lumix DMC FZ20 for the pack which was in addition to an Olympus. Digital photography allows for emailing and other applications that film can't do as quickly or as cheaply...no film.....no processing...no converting into Jpegs or TIFF...an 8 gig card might be enough for some people to record an entire thru hike ! All of those settings on your camera allow you to control the end result where most point and shoots do everything for you automatically..I like to be able to control aperture and shutter.

Sly
11-09-2006, 20:12
If you're in the market for your first digital camera and don't want to shell out big dollars...take a look at the Olympus "Camedia" line.

I have the D510 2.1 MP, but was looking to upgrade. I guess with all the choices and options in the others and the fact I can't make up my mind, I'll may just hang on to it until it dies.

3 year ago, it cost just over $200 refurbished. Now you can get atleast double the camera for less money.

Sly
11-09-2006, 20:14
Wow, here's a used one on Ebay for $.99!

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-D510-2-1MP-DIGITAL-ZOOM-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ140050733147QQihZ004QQcategoryZ300 03QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ARambler
11-09-2006, 23:06
I have a 3 year old 4MP Stylus. Now, I wish it was less rugged and I could justify an upgrade. I would most like to have a wider angle zoom, maybe 28 mm equivalent. I have not taken the trouble to do panorama shots. So, at overlooks, I often what to get more of the view in the picture.

The site: dpreview.com above says that 7 mp is currently about the optimum size. More "means less sensitivity, higher noise (generally) and an even higher requirement on the lens optics"

However, the new cameras have a lot more features. I too like the digital stabilization concept.

Considering what's available, I'm setting a 1/2 lb limit which rules out some of the suggestions above.
Rambler

hammock engineer
11-09-2006, 23:22
I have the cannon A620 and really like it. The downside is that it weighs 11.5 oz with batteries. The good part of that is that it takes 4 AA batteries. On the same set of Litium batteries I have taken about 450 7.1 MP pics. I have also reviewed them about 10+ times.

It has a view finder and a movable screen. The moveable screen is a really nice option. I can turn it around for self pics, angle it so I don't have to lay on the ground to take ground angle shots, and I can store it with the view screen facing the back of the camera protecting the screen.

You can buy a waterproof case for around $100 if you want.

Big Dawg
11-10-2006, 21:34
To change the subject a little bit, I had a Nikon Coolpix which i liked a lot and was very used to, then it broke (took about 7,000 pix first)
I bought a Kodak something for about $150. I don't like this new camera because when i go to take a picture, there is ALWAYS a delay between snapping the pix and when the camera takes the picture. I Hate That!
My Nikon never did that and i am thinking about getting another Nikon although perhaps a newer one with more megapixels.
So, I would like to check back for some possible feedback on what other cameras are good and take the picture WHEN YOU PUSH THE BUTTON and not a second later! Thanks in advance

I hate that too. This is our first digital camera. We lost many great shots b/c what we were taking a pic of changed w/in the few seconds that the camera actually captured the shot,,,, kids, dogs, etc. A friend told us that all digital camera's did that. I guess they wrong? The Olympus Stylus 720 SW is on my wish list, but it'll be awhile based on the $380 price tag.

EMAN
11-14-2006, 20:14
I just bought, and used on a trip this past weekend, a Canon Powershot A530. I got it on sale at Circuit City for $134.
It has a viewfinder. You can shut off the display which obviously saves battery power. Also uses "AA" batteries.
It has all manner of features packed into a nice little package. Various scene settings, you can change ISO, has the self timer, zoom, etc.
It also has an "Auto" setting for those of us less educated in camera ware.
So far, I love it.

Sly
11-24-2006, 12:50
... and bought a Canon Powershot A710 IS. The best price I could find was at 42th Street Camera for just under $300 shipped. I also found a couple Sandisk 1Gig SD cards on Ebay for $20 each including shipping.

Steve's Review.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a710.html

The specs...

Canon PowerShot A710 IS Specifications Type of Camera
Type of Camera: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 6x Optical / 4x Digital / 24x Combined Zoom with Image Stabilizer (IS) SystemImage Capture Device
Type: 7.1 Megapixel, 1/2.5 inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
Total Pixels: Approx. 7.4 Megapixels
Effective Pixels: Approx. 7.1 MegapixelsLens
Focal Length: 5.8-34.8mm f/2.8-4.8 (35mm film equivalent: 35-210mm)
Digital Zoom: 4x
Focusing Range:
Normal: 1.8 ft./55cm-infinity
Macro: 0.39 in.-1.8 ft./1-55cm (WIDE)
Autofocus System: TTL AutofocusViewfinders
Optical Viewfinder: Real-image optical zoom viewfinder
LCD Monitor: 2.5 inch low-temperature polycrystalline silicon TFT color LCD
LCD Pixels: Approx. 115,000 pixels
LCD Coverage: 100%Aperture and Shutter
Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (W) - f/4.8 (T)
Shutter Speed: 15-1/2000 sec. (settable in Tv and M)Exposure Control
Sensitivity: Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800 equivalent
Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center-weighted average, Spot* (* Metering frame is fixed to the center or linked to the AF frame)
Exposure Control Method: Program AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE, Manual
Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop incrementsWhite Balance
White Balance Control: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater), CustomFlash
Built-in Flash: Auto, Auto w/ Red-Eye Reduction, Auto w/ Slow Synchro, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-Eye Reduction, Flash On w/Slow Synchro, Flash Off
Flash Range:
Normal: 1.8-11.0 ft./55cm-3.5m (W), 1.8-8.2 ft./55cm-2.5m (T)
Macro: 1-1.8 ft./30-55cm (W-M) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.0V)
Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop incrementsShooting Specifications
Shooting Modes: Auto; Creative: P, Av, Tv, M; Image: Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Underwater, Indoor, Kids & Pets, Night Snapshot, Color Accent, Color Swap), Stitch Assist, Movie
Photo Effects: My Colors (Vivid, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Custom Color)
Self-Timer: Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Custom
Wireless Control: Not available
Continuous Shooting: Approx. 1.7 fps
Display Languages: 25 display languages provided (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian)Image Storage
Storage Media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard
File Format: Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
Image Compression:
Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
Movie: AVI (Image: Motion JPEG; Audio: WAVE (Monaural))
JPEG Compression Mode: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
Number of Recording Pixels:
Still Image: 640 x 480 (Small), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3), 2,048 x 1,536 (Medium 2), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 1), 3,072 x 2,304 (Large), 3,072 x 1,728
(Widescreen)Movie: 640 x 480 / 320 x 240 (30 fps/15 fps) available up to 1GB or 60 minutes, 320 x 240 (1 min. at 60 fps), 160 x 120 (3 min. at 15 fps)Obviously the Canon name was a big factor, and the Olympus I was looking at didn't have very good reviews, too many to list here. This camera shined. Other factors were 6x optical, manual controls, image stabilization, only uses 2 AA's, viewfinder, etc, ect, ect...

The only drawbacks I could see were that it's not weatherproof and there's no adjustable diopter in the viewfinder.

Stonewall
11-24-2006, 13:07
That is aswome Sly.I want the A710 IS but I am going with the A540 beacuse it is half the price of the 710 and I won't be totaly distraught if something happens ot it while I am on the trail.

Blissful
11-24-2006, 14:25
We went a bit cheapie and got an $88 Samsung at Wally World for the trail today. Decided not to bring a real expensive one out there but good enough for pics and its better than the camera on a phone.

Sly
11-24-2006, 14:37
That is aswome Sly.I want the A710 IS but I am going with the A540 beacuse it is half the price of the 710 and I won't be totaly distraught if something happens ot it while I am on the trail.

Yeah I know. I wasn't sure whether to spend the money since I've already lost a camera and had one ruined falling in a creek on my other hikes (both film cameras), but I plan on trying to make some DVD slideshow/movies for my hikes next year... and bit the bullet. Hopefully I wont destroy or lose this one. :)

homebrew
11-24-2006, 15:16
:sun I used a Canon powershot A520, 4.0mp, for my 06' thru-hike. Purchase at OfficeMax for $150. Check out the quality of the pics at homebrew.photosite.com . Its not the lightest or thinest camers out there but the quality is high. Also don't waist your money getting a 5.0mp or higher camera-you won't need it.

SalParadise
11-24-2006, 15:18
Hopefully I wont destroy or lose this one. :)

Aren't there a lot of stores that sell insurance for their cameras? I got six months of insurance (perfect timing!) for my digital camera when I bought it before my trip that covered its complete destruction.

Boat Drinks
11-24-2006, 17:28
I just got this for $199.49 Reviews are positive. I'll let you know. I plan on taking it with me on the Trail.
Also alows voice recording and movie mode!
Casio EXILIM 7.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Silver

Model: EX-Z700SR
wS('1','15')http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/global/misc/spacer.gif
Eliminate the blur in your photos with this digital camera that features Antishake DSP, which stabilizes the camera, even when you can't keep still.
<LI class=bullet-sq-ccccff>7.2-megapixel CCD captures high-resolution images up to 3072 x 2304 pixels <LI class=bullet-sq-ccccff>3x optical/4x digital/12x total zoom
2.7" color TFT-LCD monitor with brightness adjustmenthttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=TZUWCZWA03WABKC4D3NFAHY?sku Id=8007346&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat32500050016&id=1155848397220:banana

ex-tennesseean
11-26-2006, 23:42
Call me old school, 'cause I am. But any camera without a viewfinder would be most unsatisfying to me. Rear LCD screens are useful as a rough aiming device for casual candid snapshots, and with sufficient enlargement (not all cameras have it), they're great for reviewing images. But I need to examine and study the image before I shoot. What I see needs to be attractive enough to me to cause me to snap the shutter, and that doesn't happen when I'm peering at a tiny, glowing, grainy magnified screen. Digital VFs are prone to delayed responses and artificial-looking color, too. I don't like the feeling that I'm copying images of a TV screen. It's like kissing your sister- same function, but no feeling.

That said, most of the optical finders in compact digicams aren't so hot. But check around, there are many choices out there. It's sad, though, that it gets harder and harder to find the low-tech alternative (like a car with a manual transmission) in a market dominated by high-tech gimmicks.

Franco
11-28-2006, 07:39
A few comments about digital cameras.
If you want anti shake get the optical or at least the moving CCD type because the digital version (Casio,Samsung,Fuji) just gives softer results.
For the best low light performance get Fuji (F10/20/30/31)
For fast response Casio, Sony, most new Canon.
If you do not want to baby the camera get the Olympus Stylus , you choose the model( 720/725 if you want it tough as well)
With the Pana anti shake, use mode 2
With Canon anti shake, use mode 1
EVFs are now easier and cheaper to make than the optical variety. Not easy particularly over 3x zoom. ( clarity and parallax errors issues)
There is a gain in quality from most 4-5 MP to the 7-8MP version in the same brand, however some 10MP are worse (increased noise) than the models below. There is a limit of what can be done using the same lens and same size CCD, cramming extra pixels does not always work.

EVF and kissing sisters , some in Tasmania and I believe Pennsylvania will disagree with you.
Franco

otterman
11-28-2006, 08:40
A few comments about digital cameras.
If you want anti shake get the optical or at least the moving CCD type because the digital version (Casio,Samsung,Fuji) just gives softer results.
For the best low light performance get Fuji (F10/20/30/31)
For fast response Casio, Sony, most new Canon.
If you do not want to baby the camera get the Olympus Stylus , you choose the model( 720/725 if you want it tough as well)
With the Pana anti shake, use mode 2
With Canon anti shake, use mode 1
EVFs are now easier and cheaper to make than the optical variety. Not easy particularly over 3x zoom. ( clarity and parallax errors issues)
There is a gain in quality from most 4-5 MP to the 7-8MP version in the same brand, however some 10MP are worse (increased noise) than the models below. There is a limit of what can be done using the same lens and same size CCD, cramming extra pixels does not always work.

EVF and kissing sisters , some in Tasmania and I believe Pennsylvania will disagree with you.

Franco

Great comments. I have been looking at several compact cameras to replace my bulky SLR on extended trips. I want to be able to get at least an 8x10 out of my pictures and so I refuse to sacrifice the quality of the picture for a rugged camera. Even if this means wrapping it up and putting some padding around it.

I just discovered the Fuji F30. Rugged metal body. Compact. 5.5 oz. Higer sensitivity settings that will actually take pictures that aren't grainy.(to a limit) You can get it at Adorama for $209.00 after a $50.00 rebate. I believe this is the one I'm going to buy.

Lacbe
11-28-2006, 09:59
I just bought my A540 yesterday, for my thru in 07. Weight with batteries is 8 oz. I bought a Marmot Wet Rib to carry mine in and will use bubblewrap and a double zipper ziplock bag to protect it.

Sly
12-05-2006, 12:03
Apparently the camera I just bought is *gray market* which means it was imported from Japan by the store and has no Canon warranty. :mad:

I'm wondering if I should even bother, but 42nd St Photo (where I bought the camera online) has a "Authorized 3 year Extended International Warranty" for $49.00 listed on the same page as the camera. They also sell what appears to be the same warranty for up to $699 but I guess that's for other products.

Does anyone know how long the normal Canon warranty is for? Has anyone needed to use their Canon warranty? Has anyone bought a similar International warranty as offered by 42nd St Photo?

http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=119&catid=933&productid=11535

:confused:

Sly
12-05-2006, 16:25
Oh well, I guess I'll just risk it, but with my luck with cameras (my nice SLR was stolen years ago, lost one, drowned another) we'll see. :(

If anyone is interested, so far just fooling around, the A710 IS is an excellent camera and has terrific reviews with the exception of flash recycling, but that can be expected using only 2 AA batteries. It can also be had for $309 through Beach Camera which states US warrranty, and is only $10 more than I paid. .:mad:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=122&ref=pricegrabber&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNPSA710&sku=CNPSA710

frieden
12-06-2006, 10:57
As far as I know, the regular Cannon warranty is 1 yr. I'm going to go pick up my camera/gear today, but it will be too heavy for the trail (Cannon EOS 5D). Let me know how the Fuji F30 is working out for you as a trail camera. Lightweight - that's for me!

I understand that it is important to get a camera with a viewfinder, because it saves battery power. The photograpy books I'm reading (by Rick Sammon) state that you should almost always use the viewfinder for that reason. It makes sense, if you are out in the field a lot.

Sly
12-06-2006, 13:58
Have you had any problems with your camera Frieden? I'm crossing my fingers I get past the 1st year without a problem.