PDA

View Full Version : Privy question..

mindi
11-10-2006, 00:14
I've read somewhere that you are not supposed to urinate in a few of the privies on the AT (I think it's the mouldering ones). I thought I'd post this in the female forum since I think this is a female issue.

How do you do one without doing the other? It seems to me that it would be hard not to do 1 when you're doing 2. Or am I just a weirdo with a weak bladder? :o

mindi
11-10-2006, 00:18
Oops. I just realized there's another thread on this subject.

Gaiter
11-10-2006, 00:19
its generally accepted that we are allowed to urinate in the privy, just throw a few extra leaves in there.

CaptChaos
11-12-2006, 20:04
In answer to your question about number 1 in the privy I think that you will see in the Smokies that most of the notice signs suggest that males do 1 in the woods and that for females that both are ok.

The reason for both sexes not doing 1 in the privy is that you can screw up the process of the compote pile with to much urine.

I know that the sign at Spence Field in the privy states that males should use the woods in order to give the privy a break.

I have pics of the privy at Spence Field but I do not recall taking one of the sign.

John 'Capt Chaos" Knight
Bowling Green, KY

Amy Drew
11-14-2006, 15:01
Actually, we females can "go" standing up just like the boys....It took me a few hundred miles to figure this out. Once I did, life was sweeter still! No more pack on/off 15 times a day (because that is how many times a day I had to pee!) If you need more explanation or a diagram, let me know!

Tipper
11-14-2006, 18:48
Yep, it really is a concern in composting toilets. However, you will encounter some privies that WANT you to urinate in them (men and women) as they are designed that way and the ecosystem around the privies and shelter areas are too fragile to be exposed to too much urine. There's even one privy that has a seat for #2 and a seat for #1 (this has the shiney aluminum bowl with a small hole embedded in it). Oh, and if you accidently go #2 in the bowl #1, there's a spatula handy to scoop and toss down the right hole. In any event, read the instructions provided in most privies. Very informative. You will be a privy expert at trip's end.

mindi
11-14-2006, 21:07
Oh dear, I hope I read the signs right. I don't want to scoop!
Amy, I've actually been looking at some stuff on the web about that. I'm probably going to go commando too, so that may help as well.
:)

sarbar
11-19-2006, 03:03
Think of it like this:
If having to do #1, just go pee outside. If getting the #2 urge, don't worry, just do it in the privy :) Unless otherwise noted at the privy.

mindi
11-19-2006, 21:58
Something else just occurred to me. What if you get sick, and have to vomit? Should you try to bury it, or hit a privy if there's one nearby? Dump water over it?

Sorry, that's probably a really weird question.

:) Mindi

sarbar
11-20-2006, 11:08
Hurl away outside, off the trail. I wouldn't do it in a privy, it probably would make you vomit even more ;)
But yeah, if you can, dowse it with water to dilute it. Most likely, if you do have to vomit, you won't have time to think. I have one hiking friend who was dehydrated (and didn't realize it). She was eating diner and sipping wine, and suddenly turned around hurling, right in camp. When she was done, I got her clenaed up, got her water, and put her to bed. Then I went and poured water all over the area, and covered it with dirt, etc. Then I went to bed.

flyingduckmonster
03-29-2007, 18:08
Actually, we females can "go" standing up just like the boys....It took me a few hundred miles to figure this out. Once I did, life was sweeter still! No more pack on/off 15 times a day (because that is how many times a day I had to pee!) If you need more explanation or a diagram, let me know!

All right. I give. How? (Private message is fine, if you don't want to post to the whole forum... :))

Marta
03-29-2007, 18:31
All right. I give. How? (Private message is fine, if you don't want to post to the whole forum... :))

Hint--wear loose-legged, stretchy shorts or a skirt. Practice makes perfect in figuring out how to get things out of the way so they won't get wet.

1Pint
03-30-2007, 10:05

If you can't perfect the method Marta refers to, you could try the Freshette. It is an oblong funnel with a directional tube. It's sold to assist women in peeing standing up. I haven't used it, but it was recommended to me by a female section hiker who said it was great.

rafe
03-31-2007, 09:09
The "privy" at Goose Pond in MA has two holes. According to the posted instructions, one hole is for #1 and the other for #2, and if you don't know the difference, you're instructed to "take your business elsewhere."

HapKiDo
04-04-2007, 21:14
If the odor or the ambience of a privy is not to your liking, remember, you can always do number two on some leaves, roll it up and deposit the bundle in the privy.

Remember: WASH or clean your hands before and after toileting to avoid any unwanted 'bugs' or germs invading your body (from either end).

GIARDIA gets blamed when it is POOR HYGIENE which caused the illness. Hikers think they've gotten giardia when what they got was E.Coli from not washing their own hands OR from eating out of a 'community' food bag.

ALWAYS POUR FOOD OUT OF THE BAG into a hand or other container. Do NOT put your own hand or allow anyone else to put his/her hand in your bag of gorp or other food.

All together now. "Yes, Ma'am."
HIKE HEALTHY,
HapKiDo:D

Rhino-lfl
04-12-2007, 13:37

Great ... the one advantage to being male has been taken over by women folk. Can we not have something special to ourselves! Isn't it enough your kind is taking over the world, must you take over standing directional urination as well!

ShakeyLeggs
04-12-2007, 13:46
Yea but I bet our aim is better :eek::D

Rhino-lfl
04-12-2007, 16:44
The day women start peeing on the toilet seat while standing up, mans only remaining purpose will be to take out the trash. It'll be a sad day.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2007, 19:14
Ladies, ready, aim, fire at the naysaying fellows. :D

hadacol
04-13-2007, 19:13
OK, to begin with, there is some controversy over whether men can accomplish the aforementioned feat (at least neatly enough to be permitted to indoors). Refer to -

http://www.mapsu.org/

For artificial aids, refer to -

http://www.internationalheralddailynews.org/unbelievable_products.htm

or -

http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/ (http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/)

or even -

http://www.pmateusa.com/

(stop here if you are squeemish or offended by frank discussion)

But for the real deal, try here -

http://myvag.net/pee/standing/

spittinpigeon
04-13-2007, 20:17
Something else just occurred to me. What if you get sick, and have to vomit? Should you try to bury it, or hit a privy if there's one nearby? Dump water over it?

Sorry, that's probably a really weird question.

:) Mindi

On my last night on the trail, there were some spring breakers. One of the girls was sick with what seemed to be Giardia. The rest of us were sitting around the fire having a blast. While she was leaning against the outside of the privy vomiting, I asked her friends if it would be rude to tell her to pack it in, pack it out.

Topcat
04-13-2007, 20:33
Mothers against peeing standing up can kiss my butt...

Moon Man
06-13-2007, 11:30
I am really learning so much. At 64 I thought I had heard of just about everything. Just shows that you never stop learning.

amigo
06-13-2007, 12:47
There is still one thing men can do, that (most) women won't be able to do when it comes to peeing, and that is ...

We can write our name in the snow !!!

Now, is that cool or what???

sarbar
06-13-2007, 19:41
There is still one thing men can do, that (most) women won't be able to do when it comes to peeing, and that is ...

We can write our name in the snow !!!

Now, is that cool or what???
Not really :rolleyes: One of those things in life that somehow, I don't feel shortchanged in not being able to do :D

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 21:18
its generally accepted that we are allowed to urinate in the privy, just throw a few extra leaves in there.

Respectfully disagreeing here.

It specifically states in the moldering privies that urine causes problems and asks us all to "pee in the woods." It wouldn't ask that if it was just for guys, because (most of us) pee standing up anyway!

Much Lubb,
NightThang

Lone Wolf
06-13-2007, 22:39
Respectfully disagreeing here.

It specifically states in the moldering privies that urine causes problems and asks us all to "pee in the woods." It wouldn't ask that if it was just for guys, because (most of us) pee standing up anyway!

Much Lubb,
NightThang

bs frank. how many times when you're pooing do you automatically pee? happens to me most times. but i rarely use privies. off your horse

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 22:53
bs frank. how many times when you're pooing do you automatically pee? happens to me most times. but i rarely use privies. off your horse

There's a difference between a little drizzle and a full-on leak. I was talking about the peeing on purpose.

Besides, it's just a pony, I'll have you to know! :)

Frosty
06-13-2007, 23:30
There's a difference between a little drizzle and a full-on leak. I was talking about the peeing on purpose.I don't think there is any difference at all as far as the moldering privy is concerned if you pee on purpose, whether you drizzle it out slowly or quickly, or whether you stand, sit or squat. Pee in the woods. You are NOT exempt from obeying the sign because you're a man.

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 23:40
I don't think there is any difference at all as far as the moldering privy is concerned if you pee on purpose, whether you drizzle it out slowly or quickly, or whether you stand, sit or squat. Pee in the woods. You are NOT exempt from obeying the sign because you're a man.

I think what Wolf was talking about was the little bit that leaks out when you take a dump. There's not much way around that. That was the drizzle that I was agreeing with.

And yes, peeing in the above-ground privies ruins the water balance in them. That's what I was originally talking about.

If you can tell me how to crap without having a little pee pushed out of my bladder, I'm all ears on this. It even happens when I think my bladder's empty.

Similar topic: Do you thing that they'll ever get around to making all of the privies into above-ground mouldering ones? Man, do I love those. That's a great use of trail funds. They beat the living daylights out of the old style privies as well as those ugly TP fields that lazy folks make near shelters with no privies around them. The dumb thing is that it's not that hard to dig a hole with the heel of your boot to crap in, but too many people think that just covering a BM wuth duff will be just fine. Then, when it rains, the stuff is out there for the world to see, smell and step in. Yuk.

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 23:41
privies and shelters are the same. you're an idiot if you use either. took me a bit to realize it

Thank you for your tolerance of those with differing opinions. What was that about getting off the high-horse? :-?

saimyoji
06-14-2007, 08:25
There's a difference between a little drizzle and a full-on leak. I was talking about the peeing on purpose.

Try this: take care of #1 before you go in the privy for #2. Anyone who can write their name in the snow should be able to manage that....;)

Since male/female anatomy is slightly different, and I guess most women don't have as much control over the muscles in that area as men do (as a result of controling urination from a young age), women may find it more difficult to do #2 without doing#1.

Farr Away
06-18-2007, 21:04
... Since male/female anatomy is slightly different, and I guess most women don't have as much control over the muscles in that area as men do (as a result of controling urination from a young age), women may find it more difficult to do #2 without doing#1.

Respectfully disagree with that statement. I don't have a problem at all, and I was under the impression that women have more control over those msucles - all those Kegel exercises, you know! :D

rev_sunshine
07-08-2007, 01:39
There's no need to spend money on useless (and probably expensive) items to pee standing up

You can use the plastic lid from a coffee can or Cool Whip container. Cut the rim off with a razor knife, fold it up like a taco, and voila.

And you can write your name in the snow if you feel so inclined

Exigeus
07-08-2007, 13:38
Just to clear up some confusion, I happen to know all about peeing. It's my fetish, but that's beside the point. The fact is that there are people who are capable of controlling their holding muscles seperately, but most people can't, including me. This is true for both men and women, I've talked to dozens of people about it.

So if I let go, I let go of both. Every twitch of my holding muscles is felt in both front and back, there's no seperation between the two. There is no way to let go in back without leaving the front door wide open too (and I've given it my best try). That means that I inevitably pee while pooping, even if there are only a few drops inside. The only reason I can pee standing up is that peeing is so much faster than pooping. Except under rare circumstances, the poop doesn't move fast enough to be a problem.

So when I poop, the only way I can avoid getting pee in the toilet contents is to leave the front door open and push hard. And warn people not to stand in near the entrance while I'm in there.

Maybe more info than you wanted, but all of it is accurate.