PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket

refreeman
11-10-2006, 06:47
Does anyone have experience with this as a rain jacket?

How waterproof is it?
How does it breath?
How does it fit? How does thee sizing run?

and anything else you think is important to consider.

Its on http://www.steepandcheap.com (http://www.steepandcheap.com/) for $45.14
I've checked around and the price is a great deal for the jacket.

Is there a better jack at this price?

I am VERY close to buying this jacket.
I might buy 2, an XL and L and keep the one that fits the best and sell the other one.

Thanks for any help

drdewrag
11-10-2006, 08:06
I have the epic jacket and it does a great job for me. I spent the past week on the AT in the smokies and had horribly wet, cold, and rainy weather for a couple of days.

I wore my epic and didn't get a bit wet. I won't go so far as to say it is water proof, as I really don't know. I do know that it kept me dry. As far as breathability, it has zippers underneath the underarm area and down the sides that allow you to air out when necessary.

I have a medium frame at 5'9" and I have the large. It fits slightly large when worn alone as a wind breaker, but when I have on layers underneath, it's a perfect fit.

I wouldn't hesitate buying another. The price is a no brainer if you are looking for a lightweight outer shell. I hope this is helpful.

Marla in the Mts
11-10-2006, 10:33
I have the women's Epic. It's great, dry, super in the wind and rain. It has seen over 700 miles on the AT. The hood shape and sinching is of the best I've seen. All the seams and zippers continue to keep the water out; no leakage. The jacket has held up very well. My husband has the 'orange' Epic, which is great for visibility. We paid over $100 for ours when they first came out....looks like you may have a bargain. BTW, I also own an OR Celestial rain jacket (3 oz. lighter than the Mountain Hardwear), but prefer the Mountain Hardwear because of the under arm zips and velcro wrists. Be dry and warm!

floyd242
11-10-2006, 10:40
If anybody got this in an XL and doesnt want it send me a PM!

Ewker
11-10-2006, 10:45
its gone already

refreeman
11-10-2006, 16:01
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I did buy the Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket. The color (orange) wasn't my first choice, but the price is Awesome. And I figure the benefits of orange are I'll be safer when I hike during hunting season, safer while road walking in the rain and my friends will be able to see me easier at night and during rain.
I did buy more than one size so I'll get one that fits best, and I'll sell the other.

Refreeman