PDA

View Full Version : Trail life vs "Real" World

Littlest Hobo
11-10-2006, 14:33
As a follow-up to Jack’s thread on hostel behaviour, I’m wondering if next year’s thrus would benefit from a list of trail “norms” – things that may differ from the real world. It would seem that a lot of these “norms” are informal, and thus newbies may be unfamiliar with them.

warren doyle
11-10-2006, 14:41
Freedom and simplicity.

MOWGLI
11-10-2006, 14:46
Community. That's something that is often sorely lacking in the "real world."

Look out for one another. Be kind to one another. No need to say that really. It just seems to happen organically on the AT.

Footslogger
11-10-2006, 14:49
Community. That's something that is often sorely lacking in the "real world."
============================

How true ...haven't seen too much of that since my days in the military.

'Slogger

Littlest Hobo
11-10-2006, 15:16
It just seems to happen organically on the AT.

True. But there are certain experiences the trail that differ from the "real" world - many who are new to the AT may be unfamiliar with them. Hitchhiking, for instance. I'm sure many starting off from Springer have never hitched in their lives, let alone know that it is a custom on the trail to offer to pay for gas.

Or a Jack mentioned, expectations when staying at a hostel on the AT differ from a hotel off the trail.

MOWGLI
11-10-2006, 15:22
I hitchhiked probably 15,000 miles before I thru-hiked.

Offer to pay gas when hitching a ride? Hmmmm, I didn't know that was a custom. Sticking my thumb out generally indicates I'm looking for a free ride. I did offer gas $$ a few times, but I don't think it's customary to offer gas money. Doesn't hurt though. 90% of the drivers will decline your offer.

bfitz
11-10-2006, 15:23
The trail is a reminder of the real "real world", not the artifices of society, which are not the real world.

Skyline
11-10-2006, 17:05
I hitchhiked probably 15,000 miles before I thru-hiked.

Offer to pay gas when hitching a ride? Hmmmm, I didn't know that was a custom. Sticking my thumb out generally indicates I'm looking for a free ride. I did offer gas $$ a few times, but I don't think it's customary to offer gas money. Doesn't hurt though. 90% of the drivers will decline your offer.

Yes, many will decline your offer, but you should make the offer and be prepared to follow through if it is accepted.

The reasons? 1) It's just the right thing to do. 2) The driver may actually need the $$$. 3) It sets a good example so the next hiker(s) the driver encounters may be treated as well as you were. 4) If you show some good faith by offering a few bucks you might (just maybe, don't expect it) be treated to further trail magic by the driver.

Did I leave anything out?

Skyline
11-10-2006, 17:11
Something I think a new dreamer will notice among AT long distance hikers is a more live-and-let-live attitude toward others. It's not absolutely universal, but I think it's more prevalent. Some of the differences, issues, behaviors, lifestyles, ethnicities, religions, and politics that might separate us in our everyday lives don't seem to matter so much among trail families. There seems to be more of a sense that "we're all in this together," which I guess is another way to define "community."

SGT Rock
11-10-2006, 17:17
The trail is a reminder of the real "real world", not the artifices of society, which are not the real world.

Well it depends on what world you live in. Some of us live in one world and the trail is a break from that.

Take the red pill or the blue pill. Whichever you choose, that is your reality.

bfitz
11-10-2006, 17:29
Rock, we all have to deal with life. What I mean is the trail is a reminder of the underlying reality, that the things that are important aren't things. What's really important are the same things for us as for our ancestors since the dawn of time, before we built up all our things and stuff. I didn't say the trail was reality, just that it's a reminder of what's real, and really important. Why is making the car payment important? Not because of the car, but because of the kids who get to school in it. Nature is interdependant and we sometimes forget that we are also, and why.

SGT Rock
11-10-2006, 17:36
Didn't say that it wasn't a life. I just said it ain't necessarily more reality than working two jobs to raise a family and have a house.

Your reality is where you live it. Sort of like home is where you hang your hat.

MOWGLI
11-10-2006, 20:57
The reasons? 1) It's just the right thing to do. 2) The driver may actually need the $$$. 3) It sets a good example so the next hiker(s) the driver encounters may be treated as well as you were. 4) If you show some good faith by offering a few bucks you might (just maybe, don't expect it) be treated to further trail magic by the driver.

Those are all good reasons - except #4. It's the "customary" statement that I took issue with. I don't believe it is "customary". More like something that some hikers do.

Tha Wookie
11-10-2006, 21:52
One of the most striking difference that is a norm on the trail but not in paved civilization is the nearly universal acceptance of the practice known as freeballing, or commando. Of course, the culturally rich art of the snot rocket has also firmly planted itself in the annals of sociobehavioral impetus within trail trash motivation models.

weary
11-10-2006, 22:23
As a follow-up to Jack’s thread on hostel behaviour, I’m wondering if next year’s thrus would benefit from a list of trail “norms” – things that may differ from the real world. It would seem that a lot of these “norms” are informal, and thus newbies may be unfamiliar with them.
The first few weeks, I found, were a bit like basic training in the military, only without the drill Sargeants. A camaraderie develops that is unlike anything I've experienced elsewhere in civilian life -- a sort of "foxhole buddy" relationship with fellow hikers, that transcends age and cultural differences..

That gradually subsides as the difficulties and the strangeness of trail life becomes routine, but it persists to some extent all the way to Maine and for some the rest of their lives.

Weary

Sly
11-10-2006, 23:08
Yes, many will decline your offer, but you should make the offer and be prepared to follow through if it is accepted.

Yeah the part where you might just maybe buy trail magic...

Sorry, I disagree with all your reasons. Like Jeff I've hitch hiked 1000's of miles. I'm talking about sticking my thumb out on the road, and unless someone asks, I've never offered money. People generally pick you up because they want to help, not for money, a "thank you" is enough, or is when I give someone a ride.

Soliciting rides at trailheads, or from towns is entirely different, and compensation should be offered.

Nean
11-11-2006, 02:04
Best way to lose freedom and simplicity on the trail is to SLACKPACK.;) :eek:

I prefer the real world to the man made world. :-? :sun

SGT Rock
11-11-2006, 02:54
Just observations on what I have encountered over the years...

When you are at a shelter or camp and people want to change, give 'em some space and don't stare.

If you find someone's camp, don't go looking through their stuff.

Don't assume everyone wants a fire - ask before lighting one if others are around.

Don't talk on the cell phone around others. I won't go into it.

Don't assume everyone wants to hear your music. If I can hear it and the earphones are on you - it is probably too loud.

If you snore, you probably ought to camp away from others.

If you have a dog - control it. Control doesn't mean you yell to it all the time to stop what it is doing.

If you are going to wash up, don't do it in the water source.

Don't pee off the front of a shelter.

Bury your poop, and not just under leaves. That also includes the paper if you are using it. Seeing piles of snow in July is a bad thing.

Don't talk gear unless the other person want to as well.

Don't tell me all about your trail diet and why mine sucks.

If you meet someone going the other way and can let them pass by moving over, then do it. I tend to give people going downhill more "right of way" but that ain't always the way it goes.

If you are going to go hiking with a group - then don't take up the whole shelter.

Pack out your trash. If you find someone else's trash they were too lazy to pack out, lend a hand getting it out too.

Aluminum foil and cans do not burn. Quit trying.

Don't smoke around others unless they are OK with it.

Don't drink around others unless they are OK with it.

Don't attach yourself to people unless they are OK with it.

If you are going to pack a gun, don't tell anyone.

Don't assume that someone with a southern accent is a racist.

Don't try to convert people. This can include religion, pack weight, purism, blue blazing, diet plan, politics, etc.

No sniveling.

smokymtnsteve
11-11-2006, 02:59
Just observations on what I have encountered over the years...

When you are at a shelter or camp and people want to change, give 'em some space and don't stare.

If you find someone's camp, don't go looking through their stuff.

Don't assume everyone wants a fire - ask before lighting one if others are around.

Don't talk on the cell phone around others. I won't go into it.

Don't assume everyone wants to hear your music. If I can hear it and the earphones are on you - it is probably too loud.

If you snore, you probably ought to camp away from others.

If you have a dog - control it. Control doesn't mean you yell to it all the time to stop what it is doing.

If you are going to wash up, don't do it in the water source.

Don't pee off the front of a shelter.

Bury your poop, and not just under leaves. That also includes the paper if you are using it. Seeing piles of snow in July is a bad thing.

Don't talk gear unless the other person want to as well.

Don't tell me all about your trail diet and why mine sucks.

If you meet someone going the other way and can let them pass by moving over, then do it. I tend to give people going downhill more "right of way" but that ain't always the way it goes.

If you are going to go hiking with a group - then don't take up the whole shelter.

Pack out your trash. If you find someone else's trash they were too lazy to pack out, lend a hand getting it out too.

Aluminum foil and cans do not burn. Quit trying.

Don't smoke around others unless they are OK with it.

Don't drink around others unless they are OK with it.

Don't attach yourself to people unless they are OK with it.

If you are going to pack a gun, don't tell anyone.

Don't assume that someone with a southern accent is a racist.

Don't try to convert people. This can include religion, pack weight, purism, blue blazing, diet plan, politics, etc.

No sniveling.

ok I'll ask before lighting up...:cool:

SGT Rock
11-11-2006, 03:02
And you do.

Have I ever said no :D

Smoke 'em if you got em Steve...

You mind if my liquor (AKA Demon Alkyhol) ain't got a government stamp?

smokymtnsteve
11-11-2006, 03:04
as Horace Kephart said ..."they is the finest kinda folks they make GOOD~likker"

SGT Rock
11-11-2006, 03:14
Heard once about a moonshiner that went to court. He was small time, just making for himself and his friends - so the judge was going easy on him. So the judge asked him "I hear if you age whiskey, the flavor gets better. What is your experience?"

The man replied "Well yer honor, I don't see it so. I let mine sit for a week once and couldn't tell no difference."

Wanderingson
11-11-2006, 03:22
Of course, the culturally rich art of the snot rocket has also firmly planted itself in the annals of sociobehavioral impetus within trail trash motivation models.

So are you saying it is socially unacceptable to lauch a snot rocket in the middle of the Walmart produce section? Dang, I guess I had better change my ways.:banana

bfitz
11-11-2006, 03:54
Oh yeah, I hang my hat indoors. You got me there. I mean if I had a hat. I have to leave my boots on the doorstep, though, you know how that is. But the trail reminds me of the deeper reality. The Great Mystery and all that stuff you think about when your staring at the stars.

rickb
11-11-2006, 09:10
How about:

Real world: It is impolite to intrude on a group's space-- even in a public area
Trail: If there is a group already in a shelter, no need to ask permission for a spot, so long as space is reasonably available. Just assume its yours.

Real World: Not OK to cook in your room with open flame, or eat crackers in bed
Trail: In a shelter, go right ahead, especially if it is raining

Real World: No need to inform you neighbors if the supermarket ran out of something
Trail: You are responsible for informing hikers coming in the other direction if the shelter spring was dry

Real World: South bounders find much mirth in tales of the North bounder's early trials and tribulations, and may chuckle out loud when reading their journals.
Trail: South bounders are expected to suppress laughter when the North bounders speak of how hard the trail is ahead.

Real world: OK to shoo vermin from your property anyway you like
Trail: It is considered bad form to throw rocks at the shelter skunk

Real World: No problem smoking as you walk down a public street (at least in 2006)
Trail: Not a good idea to walk and smoke

Real World: Talking to your self can be a sign of mental illness-- especially when the "conversation" turns to a heated debate.
Trail: Whatever it takes to get you up the hill

Real World: Butter on a Kit Kat disgusting
Trail: That’s what the notches in the Kit Kat we designed to hold.

Sly
11-11-2006, 09:22
G) Not smoking while actually walking

I normally always stop and take a break to have a smoke, but I had one scheduled (by the park service) 28 mile day in Glacier and even though I started at 1st light, I was afraid I wasn't going to make it before dark. So for the first 14 miles I hiked without stopping (a personal best- in 4.5 hours) , but had a couple cigarettes along the way.

MOWGLI
11-11-2006, 11:16
So are you saying it is socially unacceptable to lauch a snot rocket in the middle of the Walmart produce section?

I think everyone should do that! Only I don't shop at Wal Mart. :D

DawnTreader
11-11-2006, 14:16
The differences between trail life and the real world can only be experienced... I thought I knew what to expect on the trail, what it would be like compared to my day to day... I was wrong, and I did a lot of research before I left. I think that if your new to long distances only you can decide how your trail life differs from real world situations... nobody can prep you for this.. As for how to act while hiking you hike, well, I think we already went over this in another thread...

Bloodroot
11-11-2006, 14:36
I thought trail life was the real world?:)
What I noticed the most was changes in my senses.

Nean
11-11-2006, 18:36
I thought trail life was the real world?

It is,:banana
but the man made world is also real :eek:
and has conditioned most humans into forgeting or never knowing :(
.....nature, natural, real.:-?

Lion King
11-11-2006, 19:27
Freedom and simplicity.

Exactly.
Glad to see you made it through the JMT with a full pack.;)

Lion King
11-11-2006, 19:37
Treat everyone with kindness.

Always say thank you.

Dont Beg, accept what you need when offered but dont make a point of drawing attention to the fact that you need something.
Yogi-ing is an art, learn to paint with it and you will always have the world at your feet. Just remember there is a fine line between being the 'guy with the sign on the interstate' and the guy with his thumb out for a ride, mainly in the eyes of those who may pick you up.

Dont piss off the locals. Your behavior, no matter how godlike you think yourself to be, will have a negative effect on those who follow in your bootsteps, good behavior allows for blessings to fall onto those who follow.

I have been picked up by numerous people who have 'never picked up a hitchhiker' and they learn that if big calves and a backpack are present, the people are generally decent. Dont ruin that by being a jerk.

If you do offer cash for a ride, as stated, most will decline you. But it is a nice gesture, and a lot of rides will take you to lunch/dinner/home, etc...

HYOH
HYOH
HYOH
HYOH

cant say that enough.
Even if you use guidebooks, data books, others notes, whatever, DO NOT hike the same way and same places and same style as those who came before you. Live the hike and let it lead you into whatever world it leads you into.

Hey Rock, can I get a Blue pill? :)

Crash
11-11-2006, 20:47
Always say hi.
Groups of hikers should make way for the single hiker.
Don't be yelling or carrying on a loud conversation.
Downhillers should make way for uphillers -Sorry I disagree with Sgt.
Pass trail info on to others going the other way- ie: the spring is dry.

SGT Rock
11-12-2006, 02:33
Treat everyone with kindness.

Always say thank you.

Dont Beg, accept what you need when offered but dont make a point of drawing attention to the fact that you need something.
Yogi-ing is an art, learn to paint with it and you will always have the world at your feet. Just remember there is a fine line between being the 'guy with the sign on the interstate' and the guy with his thumb out for a ride, mainly in the eyes of those who may pick you up.

Dont piss off the locals. Your behavior, no matter how godlike you think yourself to be, will have a negative effect on those who follow in your bootsteps, good behavior allows for blessings to fall onto those who follow.

I have been picked up by numerous people who have 'never picked up a hitchhiker' and they learn that if big calves and a backpack are present, the people are generally decent. Dont ruin that by being a jerk.

If you do offer cash for a ride, as stated, most will decline you. But it is a nice gesture, and a lot of rides will take you to lunch/dinner/home, etc...

HYOH
HYOH
HYOH
HYOH

cant say that enough.
Even if you use guidebooks, data books, others notes, whatever, DO NOT hike the same way and same places and same style as those who came before you. Live the hike and let it lead you into whatever world it leads you into.

Hey Rock, can I get a Blue pill? :)

Good stuff Lion King. And you get a blue pill.

hopefulhiker
11-13-2006, 02:14
"No Matter Where You Go There You Are!"

I think the Golden Rule is applicable on the trail as anywhere....

I think it is important that hikers not feel "entitled to exceptional treatment" I mean I got used to being treated so nicely by everyone that after a few months I felt like I deserved special treatment... That was a mistake...

I did offer to make donations to hostels and drivers that did not charge or charge very much...

I tried to help out other hikers occasionally with gear and food plus my wife came to visit me a couple of times and helped out with shuttles for hikers.

I found out that other people don't always appreciate your singing...

Or talking politics....

Or Gear advice......

Anyway there is still a different kind of culture on and around the trail than I find in the city. Just don't take too much advantage of it...

kyhipo
11-13-2006, 08:34
Didn't say that it wasn't a life. I just said it ain't necessarily more reality than working two jobs to raise a family and have a house.

Your reality is where you live it. Sort of like home is where you hang your hat.
well said Rock! As one grows in life he learns.the trail taught myself alot about life and the does and the don'ts the hard way.But I wouldnt trade it for the world.ky