PDA

View Full Version : Butane Canisters Disposal?

Rough
11-11-2006, 20:30
Where along the trail can AT hikers safely dispose of empty butane canisters such as those used by Snowpeak or MSR lightweight stoves?

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 17:15
Have you ever done this, and how'd it go?

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2006, 17:20
Wow. I might be wrong but punching holes in these cannisters (even if you think they're completely empty) just doesn't strike me as a smart thing to do.

I applaud anyone's attempt to re-cycle trash but I'd sure hate to see anyone blown up in the process.

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 17:25
Umm, seeing as you're recommending this practice I'd like to know if you've tried it and what YOUR experience was.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2006, 17:26
I think contacting the folks at a recycling center is an excellent suggestion.

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 17:28
Probably so.

Happy Trails, everyone.

camper10469
11-12-2006, 18:31
Run the canister till it's completely empty, flame goes out, and there is no more gas left. Then using a can opener, grab the bottom lip with the little hook and make your hole right in the side of the canister. I do this all the time, it's no big deal.

DON'T do this to a canister you aren't sure is empty, as I said run it till it goes out and the valve is wide open, no gas it coming out anymore. It's not rocket science, it's common sence.

Heater
11-12-2006, 18:52
Run the canister till it's completely empty, flame goes out, and there is no more gas left. Then using a can opener, grab the bottom lip with the little hook and make your hole right in the side of the canister. I do this all the time, it's no big deal.

DON'T do this to a canister you aren't sure is empty, as I said run it till it goes out and the valve is wide open, no gas it coming out anymore. It's not rocket science, it's common sence.

It doesn't matter if all the pressure is let out of the canister, there will still be flammable gas in there.

Go ahead and take your chances if you want to but if there is still any gas, I'll pass. :D

saimyoji
11-12-2006, 19:00
Someone once suggested to me: "stick the valve in your rear before you go to sleep at night. When you wake up it'll be recharged, and may even burn a little hotter."

Not sure what he was implying, but I follow the recycling center's request: Put tape across the valve, leave in the recycling bin. They take care of them for me. Your center may have different ways of doing things.

The question was about on the trail though...That will probably differ depending on the town and/or where you want to get rid of it.

Perhaps Jack could add this info to his resupply article?? :)

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2006, 19:06
Regrettably, except for places like Hot Springs, I haven't seen a lot of places on the Trail in the South that recycle at all. It's a bit different as you get further North, but the simple truth is that most empty fuel canisters don't get recycled and just end up in the dump. But of course, if you're ever tossing one in town, it can't hurt to ask if they re-cycle.

vipahman
11-12-2006, 19:41
Wow! Didn't realize they were such scary devices. I'm sticking to alcohol.

Appalachian Tater
11-12-2006, 20:24
The top of the refrigerator at Shaw's seems to be the elephant graveyard for these canisters.

LostInSpace
11-12-2006, 22:46
The is no difference between disposing of an empty butane fuel canister and almost any other empty aerosol can of Right Guard, shaving cream, hairspray, cooking spray, paint, Enddust, etc., etc., because the aerosol cans are pressurized with butane or isobutane. How do you dispose of them? Most aerosols are labeled “WARNING: Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate.”

I think that saying that fuel canisters are recyclable does not mean they can be recharged.

saimyoji
11-12-2006, 23:08
Right Guard: Apparently a preffered propellant for potato cannons.

http://www.aaroncake.net/spuds/boom.asp

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 23:20
Given that this thread has gone from a question about recycling empty butane canisters to spud guns I'd say we've got some pretty good thread drift going here. Not up to thread swerve standards, but with a little effort I can see it happening.

Footslogger
11-12-2006, 23:34
Not up to thread swerve standards, but with a little effort I can see it happening.
====================================

einze, zwei, drei ...torpedo los !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 23:36
Yah, das boot kaput!