PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about Vasque Velocity?

Big Dawg
11-11-2006, 22:29
OK, here's the deal. I've owned several pairs of Vasque footwear over the past 7 years since getting into hiking. The fit is truely perfect,,,, but,,,,, their durability is a bit lacking, as I've experienced and read about over the past few years. The most recent pair I bought was the Breeze Low. I got them for Christmas last year, and they probably have less than 100 miles on them,,, and the back heel tread is separating from the shoe. This falls in line w/ what I had heard of these shoes (don't ask me why I had my wife buy them anyway). I will be returning them to REI shortly, and am in the market for another pair of trail running shoes. I have read that the Vasque Velocity seems to hold up well. Any input about this shoe would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I've been told to look at Solomon or Merrill,,,, b/c of similar "last". The last that Montrail uses, as an example, is too small for my Big Dawg feet. I don't have a wide foot, so the Montrail wide shoe versions wouldn't work either. Thanks again for any input whatsoever.

Birddog
11-11-2006, 23:20
While I dont own any Vasque's, I do own a pair of Merrill's and a pair of Solomon's. The Solomons are lighter than the Merrills, but the Merrills seem to be more durable. No problemms with either pair. BD

Wanderingson
11-12-2006, 07:47
I'm not sure if you have a receipt for the Vasque's you received for X-mas last year, but Vasque does have a 1 year LIMITED warrantee. May want to check it out.

Also, I was informed sometime around 1999 or 2000 that vasque moved their manufacturing to the Asian market. I was fortunate to pick up a pair of Sundowners from their original manufacturing plant and they are wonderful.

Check some of the online reviews to see what other folks have to say about Vasque products lately.

Sarge
11-12-2006, 08:14
I've owned 2 pairs of Vasque Clarions and I swear by them. The fit is great and I've been impressed by the wear. I had to retire my first pair after 1500 miles of section hiking only because I tore one of the toes open on a rock in Pa. (go figure!). If it hadn't been for that I think I would have gotten another couple hundred more miles out of them at least.

Moose2001
11-12-2006, 10:27
I have almost 5000 miles of hiking on Vasque Breeze's. I've seen the problem you're describing, separation of the back heel. However, in all the pairs I've worn I would say it's nothing more than a cosmetic problem. I've never had one separate enough to where I thought it might be a problem. I wouldn't be so quick to ditch the Breeze if they fit the way you describe. Don't forget, the Breeze is not a heavy duty hiking boot. It's basically a running shoe. You won't get the kind of wear from the Breeze that you might get from a Sundowner.

Spirit Walker
11-12-2006, 10:59
I wore Vasque Velocities for the desert stretches on the CDT this year. I was very happy with the pair I wore in NM. They lasted abut 700+ miles. The ones I wore in Wyoming lasted about 500 miles. They were good on flat surfaces, not so good on really rough rocks and tussocks. In both cases, the liner was the first part to wear through.

MOWGLI
11-12-2006, 11:46
Did you dry your shoes around a fire? Lots of hikers do. That could account for the de-lamination.

Big Dawg
11-12-2006, 12:38
I'm not sure if you have a receipt for the Vasque's you received for X-mas last year, but Vasque does have a 1 year LIMITED warrantee. May want to check it out.

Also, I was informed sometime around 1999 or 2000 that vasque moved their manufacturing to the Asian market. I was fortunate to pick up a pair of Sundowners from their original manufacturing plant and they are wonderful.

Check some of the online reviews to see what other folks have to say about Vasque products lately.

REI has a great return policy

I also heard about Vasque moving their manufacturing out of Italy to the Asian market.

Big Dawg
11-12-2006, 12:47
Did you dry your shoes around a fire? Lots of hikers do. That could account for the de-lamination.

No,, didn't do that. I learned from a previous pair of Superhikers that close proximity to fire is not a good thing:eek: lol.

The Breeze lows were treated very well for the very small amount of time I used them. My full pack weight w/ 2 liters water & 5 days of food is around 35lbs, so no extra heavy stress on them. Other than a few small section hikes this year and using them sparsley on trails near my house, they've been sittin in my closet. The issue w/ mine definately seems like some type of defect. Too much heel/tread separation to be considered just cosmetic. Live and learn.

A-Train
11-12-2006, 14:13
No durability issues with the Velocity. Awesome shoe! Bought a pair at the NOC when my boots were rubbing me raw and never looked back. Wore them all the way to Port Clinton, some 1050 miles. Honestly when I ditched them they still had life on them-I just didn't want to tackle the worst of the rocks with a falling apart pair.

That being said, I bought another pair for the PCT and they don't fit right. Either something is wrong, or my foot has changed shape.

Spock
11-12-2006, 21:57
Frito and I used Vasque Velocities on the AT in 03 and 04 - along with other brands. No particular durability problem. They tended to last a little longer than most other shoes we used such as Merrel, Saucony and a couple of others. We normally get 500 miles out of light shoes like this. Now we prefer Nike Free Trails. But the Vasques are good shoes.

rockrat
11-12-2006, 22:22
I love my Salomons. In fact since about the fifth grade it has been the only shoe brand that I've ever owned. The pair of XA Comps I own right now I bought about 4 years ago and used them for everything from climbing fourteener's to backpacking with 50 plus pounds of climbing gear and equipment to wearing them every day at work. The only issue that I have with them is that the back tongue tends to break down and wear out quickly.

LIhikers
11-13-2006, 09:20
Like Sarge I hike in Vasque Clarion. The last 2 times I needed new boots I haven't even tried anything else on. They fit my feet great and I get good mileage out of them. I don't know how many trail miles they last for because I wear them day in and day out due to their comfort.

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2006, 18:09
A lot of thru-hikers get new footwear in Harpers Ferry, either because they're in dire need of replacement shoes, or they know they're about to enter an Outfitter Void that lasts for several hundred miles.

The overwhelmingly favorite shoe at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry for several years has been the Velocity. I personally fitted dozens of folks into this shoe, and very frequently, I ran into these folks much further North.

Everyone I sopke with was happy with the Velocity in terms of fit and performance.

(And when you work in a trail Outfitter and fit/sell thru-hikers, I assure you that if you run into them later on down the Trail, and they're NOT happy with something you sold them or talked them in to, it'll be the FIRST thing out of their mouths!)

My take on the Velocity: Very comfortable shoe, very easy to break in, durable (most folks will get 500-800 miles out of a pair) and reasonably priced.

Jaybird
11-13-2006, 18:41
Yo BIG DAWG:

i've owned a pair of VASQUE SUNDOWNER MX-2s for 6 years now...have many miles on them (from Red Rock country AZ, where they got some good break-in miles to 750 miles on the A.T. & many trails miles in between)...i cant say anything bad about them...in fact i'm thinking of getting some Vasque Velocity Trail Runners for everyday wear....they run wide...which i need too.

good luck!:D

rswanson
11-13-2006, 18:47
I'm sure that Jack's two cents are worth more than mine as he's fitted so many people with the Velocity's but my wife did have a pair that suffered from premature wear. The lugs on the bottom of the shoe started tearing off after maybe 200 miles. Half of this hiking was done on slickrock and other hard-surfaced trails out west, and the rest of the milage was in Rocksylvania so I guess it wasn't really easy miles for a trail shoe. REI took the defectives back and swapped them out, no questions. She found the Velocity's so comfortable that she's chancing another pair. No premature wear of yet on the new pair but she probably hasn't even put 100 miles on them yet.

FWIW, I use Salomon shoes exclusively because I love the toe box. I'm using XA Pro 3D's now and I can say they're the best hiking footwear I've ever owned. They've had some minor fraying to the mesh outer but they're otherwise going strong at over 300 miles.

tha
11-13-2006, 19:03
A lot of thru-hikers get new footwear in Harpers Ferry, either because they're in dire need of replacement shoes, or they know they're about to enter an Outfitter Void that lasts for several hundred miles.

The overwhelmingly favorite shoe at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry for several years has been the Velocity. I personally fitted dozens of folks into this shoe, and very frequently, I ran into these folks much further North.

Everyone I sopke with was happy with the Velocity in terms of fit and performance.

(And when you work in a trail Outfitter and fit/sell thru-hikers, I assure you that if you run into them later on down the Trail, and they're NOT happy with something you sold them or talked them in to, it'll be the FIRST thing out of their mouths!)

My take on the Velocity: Very comfortable shoe, very easy to break in, durable (most folks will get 500-800 miles out of a pair) and reasonably priced.

This might be a tad off-topic, but due to a surgically reconstructed ankle, I need to wear a really burly, heavy mountaineering boot. I have a pair Vasques that I bought in 2000 and misplaced shortly thereafter. I found them about 3-4 months ago and have begun the breaking-in process, covering significant elevation changes. Thus far, they are fantastic. Heavy as heck, I know, but that can be overcome with additional training (which I need anyway.).

My ankle feels totally secure moving over rocks and up and down hills. Cannot say enough good things about the stability and comfort 2 years and a gazillion physical therapy sessions after the injury. I plan to thru in them in '08. I'll cut weight somewhere else.

tha

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2006, 19:11
Tha---

Glad you found something that worked so well for you. I also have a history of ankle trouble (which is a nice way of saying I tend to break them every now and again). What worked for me was the Merrell Wilderness, a boot so tought that it willl ast you the ENTIRE A.T. For folks like Tha who are looking for a really tough, really sturdy boot, check out the Wilderness.

I've since changed over to a much lighter boot, preferably a higher one with ankle support. By coincidence, I'm wearing a Vasque right now, the Clarion GTX. For folks who prefer something a little heavier/tougher than a Trail runner like the Velocity, and for those who are partial to sprains and falls like me, the Clarion is a great shoe.

tha
11-13-2006, 21:42
Tha---

Glad you found something that worked so well for you. I also have a history of ankle trouble (which is a nice way of saying I tend to break them every now and again). What worked for me was the Merrell Wilderness, a boot so tought that it willl ast you the ENTIRE A.T. For folks like Tha who are looking for a really tough, really sturdy boot, check out the Wilderness.

I've since changed over to a much lighter boot, preferably a higher one with ankle support. By coincidence, I'm wearing a Vasque right now, the Clarion GTX. For folks who prefer something a little heavier/tougher than a Trail runner like the Velocity, and for those who are partial to sprains and falls like me, the Clarion is a great shoe.

JT -
Thanks for the heads up. Is the Merrell lighter than the Vasque Mountaineer? I can't imagine that the Vasque wouldn't last the entire AT, but the weight is a real issue. If I break my bad ankle again, it will have very serious consequences. I'll cefrtainly check out the Wilderness.
Thanks again,

tha

Big Dawg
11-14-2006, 01:39
Thanks all!!!! :D

Big Dawg
11-14-2006, 02:11
Tha---

Jack, I tried on the Vasque Velocity, and they were a little tight in the towbox. I was surprised, b/c I had heard they were roomy. While being assisted by some great WB'ers at BRMS, I tried on the Merrell Mesa Ventilator II. Great fit!!! Very comfy & supportive!! How does this one stack up? Have you fit many of these, & what feedback have you received, if any?

ARambler
11-14-2006, 11:16
I have used 5 pairs of VV in the last 3 years. Most of my comments have already been made, but some are worth repeating.

1) Best Features: I need good toe protection to both protect my toe and protect the shoe. I think the Velocity is one of the best for its weight. I get between 600 to 1000 miles per pair which is a little better to a lot better than other trail runners.

2) Worst Features: Your comfort is your comfort and you should not use this web site to judge this. I find that the room in the toebox is barely adequate. While I could get more toe room, there would be a big risk of giving up toe protection, durability or weight. I find the Velocities are very slow to dry. A little dew in the morning keeps the feet wet past lunch.

3) I just bought the Mesa Ventilator, but have not used them in the woods. Note, they are a little heavier than the Velocity (9 oz/pr or 35 %). If you get them, let us know how they work.

4) I have not used trail runners in the snow so you should be very careful if you are considering a March start. Most hikers switch in Erwin/Damascus. Be careful about listening to the vocal minority who start out with trail runners. At least consider a pair that will accommodate 2 pair of wool socks. I have seen but not tried bread bags or waterproof Sealskin socks (also an option with light weight boots.)

5) I would recommend getting a well known brand, but not putting a big preference of one over the other. Styles change so frequently it is hard to keep up. If there is a consistent difference, e.g. New Balance offers wider sizes, you should not consider this an advantage until you know this is what you need, and that the alternative is not offered with this feature. Posts about Vasque boots are way off topic.

Rambler

Big Dawg
11-14-2006, 15:30
I have used 5 pairs of VV in the last 3 years. Most of my comments have already been made, but some are worth repeating.

1) Best Features: I need good toe protection to both protect my toe and protect the shoe. I think the Velocity is one of the best for its weight. I get between 600 to 1000 miles per pair which is a little better to a lot better than other trail runners.

2) Worst Features: Your comfort is your comfort and you should not use this web site to judge this. I find that the room in the toebox is barely adequate. While I could get more toe room, there would be a big risk of giving up toe protection, durability or weight. I find the Velocities are very slow to dry. A little dew in the morning keeps the feet wet past lunch.

3) I just bought the Mesa Ventilator, but have not used them in the woods. Note, they are a little heavier than the Velocity (9 oz/pr or 35 %). If you get them, let us know how they work.

4) I have not used trail runners in the snow so you should be very careful if you are considering a March start. Most hikers switch in Erwin/Damascus. Be careful about listening to the vocal minority who start out with trail runners. At least consider a pair that will accommodate 2 pair of wool socks. I have seen but not tried bread bags or waterproof Sealskin socks (also an option with light weight boots.)

5) I would recommend getting a well known brand, but not putting a big preference of one over the other. Styles change so frequently it is hard to keep up. If there is a consistent difference, e.g. New Balance offers wider sizes, you should not consider this an advantage until you know this is what you need, and that the alternative is not offered with this feature. Posts about Vasque boots are way off topic.

Rambler

Thanks Rambler!

If I decide on the Mesa's, I'll definately report back.

I do have sealzskin when using trailrunners in cold/wet/snowy conditions. I'm a section hiker, & only doing the first 30 miles nobo (as well as other sections) w/ my friend, Dave, who's thu'g next year.

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2006, 15:56
Big Dawg:

I haven't worn Merrell's in several years, so iIhave no firsthand knowledge on the Mesa Ventilator.

I did, however, just spend some time on Merrell's excellent website, and it looks like a fine shoe, tho if I were going to go back to Merrell, and were I not to wear a heavyweight boot like the Wilderness, I'd probably go to their Chamaleon Wrap Ventilator Mid, which would be heavier that the ones you're looking at, but also appearas to be a tougher boot, with the added plus of ankle support.

Incidentaly, Dawg, the most knowledgable three people I can think of on the Trail in terms of fitting boots are Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings/Walasi-Yi Center in Georgia; Wayne Crosby at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs NC; and Tom Davenport at Mt Rogers Outfiters in Damascus. I'd contact all of these places and find out who is presently stocking Merrells. I can't think of anyone on the Trail---or off of it---who could provide better information on boots or foot wear than these three gentlemen. Let me know if you have trouble reaching them. Their phone numbers (and maybe E-Mail as well) can be found in the On-Line version of the Thru-Hikers Companion, which you can find at www.aldha.org

Big Dawg
11-14-2006, 16:08
Big Dawg:

I haven't worn Merrell's in several years, so iIhave no firsthand knowledge on the Mesa Ventilator.

I did, however, just spend some time on Merrell's excellent website, and it looks like a fine shoe, tho if I were going to go back to Merrell, and were I not to wear a heavyweight boot like the Wilderness, I'd probably go to their Chamaleon Wrap Ventilator Mid, which would be heavier that the ones you're looking at, but also appearas to be a tougher boot, with the added plus of ankle support.

Incidentaly, Dawg, the most knowledgable three people I can think of on the Trail in terms of fitting boots are Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings/Walasi-Yi Center in Georgia; Wayne Crosby at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs NC; and Tom Davenport at Mt Rogers Outfiters in Damascus. I'd contact all of these places and find out who is presently stocking Merrells. I can't think of anyone on the Trail---or off of it---who could provide better information on boots or foot wear than these three gentlemen. Let me know if you have trouble reaching them. Their phone numbers (and maybe E-Mail as well) can be found in the On-Line version of the Thru-Hikers Companion, which you can find at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org)

Awesome,, thanks man!

Rick Hancock
09-01-2007, 13:08
I have used the Vasque Velocities for over a year now. I really like the support/comfort. I use both the Goretex and non Gortex. I wear them in a 9 1/2 wide. My Montrail Hardrocks are 10 wide. I like the non Goretrex better but wanted to try both styles. The toe box seems to be a good fit for me and I'm now working on the durability. I use them for Mt. Biking and all hiking conditions. Good shoe.
Rick

springerfever
09-01-2007, 22:09
pretty good pricing too !!

http://www.backcountry.com/store/VSQ0023/Vasque-Velocity-GTX-XCR-Trail-Shoes-Mens.html?CSP_ID=FP_VSQ0023&id=kYbyJpdv

The Solemates
09-04-2007, 14:27
OK, here's the deal. I've owned several pairs of Vasque footwear over the past 7 years since getting into hiking. The fit is truely perfect,,,, but,,,,, their durability is a bit lacking, as I've experienced and read about over the past few years. The most recent pair I bought was the Breeze Low. I got them for Christmas last year, and they probably have less than 100 miles on them,,, and the back heel tread is separating from the shoe. This falls in line w/ what I had heard of these shoes (don't ask me why I had my wife buy them anyway). I will be returning them to REI shortly, and am in the market for another pair of trail running shoes. I have read that the Vasque Velocity seems to hold up well. Any input about this shoe would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I've been told to look at Solomon or Merrill,,,, b/c of similar "last". The last that Montrail uses, as an example, is too small for my Big Dawg feet. I don't have a wide foot, so the Montrail wide shoe versions wouldn't work either. Thanks again for any input whatsoever.

I wouldnt buy any shoe with the toe flap sole design that is seen in so many trail running type shoes. from my experience, the sole of these always separates from the shoe prematurely.

sixhusbands
09-04-2007, 14:48
I am a big fan of the Vasque Sundowners. I had over 1000 miles on my first pair and although I purchased a new pair I still wear the old shoes for cutting wood and gardening. Surprisingly there is still some good tread on them.

The key to good tread wear is try and stay off the asphalt and paved roads. I always walk on the dirt or grass plus it is easier on your legs.

That is my 2 cents worth on that!