PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear and Wind Proof Jacket

partinj
11-12-2006, 00:12
Hi everone I plan on starting on Jan 18 2007 on my thur-hike
i still like to keep my weight down i was gone to bring rain gear pants and jacket then i was gone to bring a wind proof jacket to go over my 200 weight fleece or i might be better just to bring my Marmot Precip jacket and use it fot both. What :sunare your ideals

Big Dawg
11-12-2006, 12:52
I use my Frogg Toggs for rain/wind. Under a pound for the suit, for most sizes.

Sly
11-12-2006, 13:09
A Precip over a heavy fleece would probably work. Starting so early, it'll probably be best to also have a down vest, a balaclava, gloves, long underwear, and a zero degree bag.

bigcranky
11-12-2006, 16:21
I like to carry a very light wind shirt in addition to a Precip jacket. It's a versatile piece that I can wear over a light base layer for hiking under a variety of conditions. I have also used my Precip jacket while hiking in very cold and windy weather (last March in the Roan Mountain area -- cold), but it's too heavy and clammy for use as a primary wind jacket, at least for me.

I like the so-called 4-layer system: a light base layer, a wind shirt, a down jacket, and a rain shell. The specific pieces will change based on the time of year and the weather forecast, but the basic system remains the same.

On my legs I use a similar system, with a light base layer, very light wind pants, and rain shell pants in varying combinations. In the coldest weather I carry a pair of fleece pants for camp (Powerstretch fleece).

My windshirt is the Mountain Hardwear Phantom, about 3 oz in size XL. Not bad, but I prefer my wife's Marmot Ion jacket, which has a hood and full zipper, and still stays under 3 oz. Plus, the Ion seems more breathable.

TJ aka Teej
11-12-2006, 20:29
I layer my Precip over a fleece quite a bit here in New England. Add gloves and a hat, and it's as good as most parkas.

JoeHiker
11-13-2006, 17:52
I'm all about light layers. If I need great warmth I use a lot of them. I don't like single, big jackets. To me anything over 12 oz is a big jacket.

For rain wear and as a normal outer jacket, I use the Integral Designs eVENT jacket. Windproof, rain proof, the most breatheable waterproof fabric you can buy and only 10 ounces.

You'll pay a steep price for all that, but it's worth it.

Under the jacket I have high-tech lightweight running gear base layers. Like a few Craft shirts.

Bloodroot
11-13-2006, 17:58
I started with Marmot Precip pants and jacket. I ended up ditching those along with my pack cover and used a poncho to cover myself and my pack during bad weather. For me it ws much easier to put on and take off.

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 02:02
I used one of those 99-cent plastic ponchos and I loved it. lot of wet inside, but you're sweating anyway. only an ounce and it was great, plus I just had to stuff it in a side pocket, so I could take it out without opening my pac--and haven't we all dug our rain gear out during a pour only to have the rain stopp once it's out.

granted, I wasn't starting in March or earlier.

but why would somebody need something strong against the wind? seriously, you're exposed to windy areas so infrequently, why would that be something specific that one would need to prepare for? I only really had to deal with wind starting in New Hampshire.