PDA

View Full Version : It is 25 degrees F and windy .........

Michele
11-12-2006, 22:24
What do you wear to sleep in to stay toasty warm tonight? (let us know all of your layers and also let us know if you consider yourself to be a cold or warm sleeper and what your bag/quilt is rated at)

Webs
11-12-2006, 22:47
cold, cold sleeper! i'd have all the layers on from my pack: leggings and sweatpants; two longsleeve shirts and two jackets; two pairs socks and gloves and hat; 25 deg bag!! :eek: sounds extreme, but bags never ever seem adequate according to my (lofty) requirements for a comfortable sleep. of course, in a tent i'd b much better off than in an open shelter.

aroth87
11-12-2006, 22:59
I'm a pretty cold sleeper. I have a 15* sleeping bag and normally wear some thin long underwear and wool socks. I have poor circulation in my extremeties though so I usually put my fleece down by my feet to help keep them a little warmer. I keep a fleece hat with me too, just in case my head gets cold.

Adam

copythat
11-12-2006, 23:01
cheap polypro from neck to ankles. golite longjohns, lightweight (irregulars, got 'em cheap, like $10). golite l/s zip top, lightweight (irreg, cheap). big thick (thicker than hiking weight) wool socks. insulated jacket (it's about one-half size too small). old bicycling gloves (hold air out/in well). beanie (army-navy wool) if needed and ALWAYS stuff a scrap of closed-cell foam under me feetses. (suprising how much that helps.) if the mercury tanks and i wake up cold i invite a warm water bottle to share my space with my fuel canister and water for morning. very windy? sometimes i wrap the whole thing up like a tamal in an equinox ultralight bivy to help keep out that nasty wind. cold sleeper. 30-deg mountainsmith down bag.

Namaste
11-12-2006, 23:06
In a shelter I'd wear polypro with fleece layer and on my feet liners and wool socks. I also would definitely wear a wool hat. My bag is an LL Bean Katahdin (I think) rated for 10 degrees. I love winter camping. If I'm using a tent I would lighten up and just stick the clothes I'm not wearing inside at the foot of my sleeping bag or under my head as a pillow.

freefall
11-12-2006, 23:15
Fairly warm sleeper. with temps and wind like this I'd have my long johns on with my Moonstone fleece jacket. I'd have just one pair of wool socks on and my Mountain Hardware windstopper fleece hat. My sleeping bag is a 20* synthetic with a silk liner. I'd be using my Thermarest Prolite 3 pad.
And of course, I'd be in my hammock.;)

Just Jeff
11-12-2006, 23:20
I'm a cold sleeper. What I wear depends on my top quilt.

If I just have the NS, I'll have my raingear, silkweight thermal top and bottom, longsleeve T-shirt and whatever light jacket I brought...probably my synthetic jacket liner right now. Might upgrade to a thermawrap or micropuff eventually.

If I have the PeaPod and JRB, I'll probably just wear a longsleeve T-shirt and thermal pants, and probably my rain pants.

And if I get cold I'll just boil some water for my Nalgene.

Edit: forgot to add the balaclava. Sometimes the extra fleece cap or earband too, but I rarely sleep in gloves. Maybe one day I'll get a JRB hood.

Phreak
11-12-2006, 23:22
I'm a cold sleeper. In a tent, I'd use my Mtn Hdwr Phantom +15 sleeping bag, expedition weight thermal bottoms, expedition weight thermal long sleeve top, wool hat, wool socks, and a wool hat. In my hammock, the clothes would be the same but I'd use my Mtn Hdwr Phantom 0 sleeping bag.

Two Speed
11-12-2006, 23:29
20 degree down sleeping bag, some kind of long sleeve shirt, pants or long johns, hat and wool socks usually will do it for me. I use a ProLite 3 for a pad, and a 40 lb dog for central heat. Not terribly sensitive to cold, but I ain't Nanook of the North, either.

berninbush
11-12-2006, 23:36
I wouldn't be outside in that weather. :D:rolleyes:

Ewker
11-12-2006, 23:55
I've never tried the boiling water in a nalgene trick.

That works and so do hand warmers thrown in your sleeping bag

Gaiter
11-13-2006, 00:55
i'm a middle range sleeper, not really a warm one, not really a cold one either.
having too many/any layers on in your sleeping bag can actually reduce the functionality of your sleeping bag, its designed to warm up the air btn your skin and the bag, so when you have clothes on btn your skin and the bag, you can reduce the effiency of it.

Just Jeff
11-13-2006, 01:09
Layering works during the day. It doesn't stop working just b/c the sun goes down. Unless your clothes are compressing the bag's loft.

neo
11-13-2006, 01:38
What do you wear to sleep in to stay toasty warm tonight? (let us know all of your layers and also let us know if you consider yourself to be a cold or warm sleeper and what your bag/quilt is rated at)
i love my bag combat camo bdu pants with my quilted pant liners
:cool: neo

hopefulhiker
11-13-2006, 01:42
Silkweight Patagonia base layer, windshirt, Patagonia pullover down sweater, two pairs of socks, sometimes rain pants, fleece cap, gloves, Back county blanket, sleep on BA insulated air mattress plus cut down z rest

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2006, 07:35
Given your love of hammocks, regardless of what I had on my body...[/URL]
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5217&c=577 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/4/1/dscn3877.jpg)
[url]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5218&catid=577

saimyoji
11-13-2006, 13:28
That works and so do hand warmers thrown in your sleeping bag

How about someones warm hands in your bag? :eek: :D :D

Ewker
11-13-2006, 13:35
How about someones warm hands in your bag? :eek: :D :D

that will work also :D

twosticks
11-13-2006, 16:40
32 degree beeline bag capaline tops and bottoms and a skull cap. If i do get chilly i'll throw some socks on, but socks and I don't get along. of course I'm in a 4 season tent.

twosticks
11-13-2006, 16:40
oho, and I'm a warm sleeper. almost like an oven.

rswanson
11-13-2006, 19:00
In those temps I'm using a 20 degree bag and a POE Max Thermo. I've had some issues with the Max Thermo so I might add a torso length blue foam on top. I usually wear either a merino l/s tee or my backup shirt (usually a synth s/s tee), silkweight tights, and lightweight merino wool socks. I'm a warm sleeper so I rarely add anything clothing down to 20 degrees. If I had to dip under that, I'd use a fleece or merino watch cap and a Patagonia Micropuff pullover. I'm pretty sure that would get me down to 0 deg. as long as my bag was true to temp.

I use either a North Face Blue Kazoo or a Western Mountaineering Ultralight and they're both true @ 20 degrees, the WM bag prob closer to 10 or 15. I do notice the Pertex shell on the TNF bag cuts the wind better than the WM bag but I guess that's to be expected due to the lightweight fabric WM uses on the Extremelights, so if its windy that's a consideration as to where/how where I set up.

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 19:05
Polypro longjohn bottoms, long sleeve high neck synthetic T-shirt, dry socks and a balaclava.

Inside a 20 degree down sleeping bag, zipped up tightly.

I'm a warm sleeper.

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
11-13-2006, 19:20

Hmmm, let's see, first I'd crank up the old fireplace.
Then I would fortify a glass with an excellent sherry.
Maybe sit down in front of the fire with a bowl of hot clam chowder (the creamy kind) with a few heels of fresh-baked crusty bread. For dessert, a liberal slab of a hot fruit pie - raspberry would be nice, but blueberry or apple will do.
A cup of brewed coffee - WITH cream - would put the seal on it.
Let it snow! :)

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 19:23
Then I would fortify a glass with an excellent sherry.
Maybe sit down in front of the fire with a bowl of hot clam chowder (the creamy kind) with a few heels of fresh-baked crusty bread. For dessert, a liberal slab of a hot fruit pie - raspberry would be nice, but blueberry or apple will do.
A cup of brewed coffee - WITH cream - would put the seal on it.
Let it snow! :)
===========================

What SHE said. I thought we were talking about sleeping in a tent ...Dooh !!

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
11-13-2006, 19:32
"Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear,
And the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence you most could hear;
With only the howl of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold,
A half-dead thing in a stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called..."

...the A.T. thru-hike! :)

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 19:39
"Were you ever out in the Great Alone, when the moon was awful clear,
And the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence you most could hear;
With only the howl of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold,
A half-dead thing in a stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called..."

...the A.T. thru-hike! :)
======================

...all but the timber wolf.

Great quote !

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
11-13-2006, 19:47
======================

...all but the timber wolf.

Great quote !

'Slogger

The Shooting of Dan McGrew.”
Minnesota Smith will know the author. :)

paddler
11-13-2006, 19:56
15 deg marmot fusion bag, shorts zipped uped except about a foot at the foot section very warm sleeper

bigcranky
11-13-2006, 22:21
30-F WM down bag in an old bivy for a little extra wind protection (and to keep me on my pad). The bivy is *not* waterproof. The pad is a Thermarest Prolite 4.

Inside the bag, a lightweight set of long johns, some light wool socks, and a powerstretch hat. If it gets down toward 20 or the high teens, I'll drape my down jacket over my torso inside the bag, and maybe wear a pair of down booties (toasty!).

I'm a very warm sleeper, so YMMV.

LostInSpace
11-13-2006, 22:58

Kinda reminded me of:

"And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;
And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: “Please close that door.
It’s fine in here, but I greatly fear you’ll let in the cold and storm—
Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it’s the first time I’ve been warm.”

Jan LiteShoe
11-13-2006, 23:23
Okay, enough flipancy, I'lll play the "keepwarm" game now. I had to go back in my journal to remember.

VERY cold sleeper until the middle of the night, then I rip stuff off to cool off.

Bag: WM Versalite (was rated 20 degrees in 2003, now it's rated 10, I believe, for the same bag).

Layers: dry wool camp socks, kept in a ziplock just for sleeping. REI thin fleece tights on bottom, silk turtleneck and my fleece on top, (Moonstone synthetic jacket too if that's not enough) plus a toboggan on the head -- and, my heat secret -- a fleece neck ring. If my throat is toasty, for some reason that goes a long way toward warming my whole self. It's also the thing I rip off first.

All in a tent, of course - wind blowing across my down bag strips out the heat. But I love down - once it's warmed up (a little pre-retiring exercise like fetching more water helps me radiate), it feels like it has its own heat source.

Oh, and I ALWAYS empty my bladder last thing before retiring on an icy night. Men have the advantage with a pee bottle. Rolling out of a snug bed to tromp into the rippping, freezing wind really bites.

copythat
11-14-2006, 00:07
The Shooting of Dan McGrew.”
Minnesota Smith will know the author. :)

robert w. service?

(do i win the door prize, or the raffle prize?)

Jan LiteShoe
11-14-2006, 09:46
robert w. service?

(do i win the door prize, or the raffle prize?)

Yes, you win the prize of the day - six rolls of TP!
Very good! :)

stumpknocker
11-14-2006, 10:15
Yes, you win the prize of the day - six rolls of TP!
Very good! :)

Hey former hiker know as Liteshoe, I was just getting ready to say that service guy....do I get a TP?? :)

I'm a cold sleeper, but don't start using any layers until it get's below about 10 degrees. Most the time I'll just drape some hiking clothes over my butt and stick my feet in a stuff sack....the only two places that get cold in those temps. I use a WM Versalite...10 degree bag. Oh yeah, I do wear a pullover hat to protect the bare skin on top of my head....I'm bald. :)

drdewrag
11-14-2006, 10:28
Bag - the north face cats meow - 20 degree rating
I usually sleep in underwear and socks. If it's windy, I will put on my trusty mountain hardwear toboggan. I generally stay warm - if I get a bit cold during the night, I may put on a Layer 2 patagonia capilene shirt, but usually nothing more.

lonewolf02
11-14-2006, 10:59
I use a black diamond tent...no floor, pile loose leaves in there and it helps to keep heat from going to ground.

Jan LiteShoe
11-14-2006, 16:26
Hey former hiker know as Liteshoe, I was just getting ready to say that service guy....do I get a TP?? :)

I'm a cold sleeper, but don't start using any layers until it get's below about 10 degrees. Most the time I'll just drape some hiking clothes over my butt and stick my feet in a stuff sack....the only two places that get cold in those temps. I use a WM Versalite...10 degree bag. Oh yeah, I do wear a pullover hat to protect the bare skin on top of my head....I'm bald. :)

Stumpy, you're FULL of ...TP.
Why you want more?
While we're at it, Wayah Bald? :)

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 16:28
While we're at it, Wayah Bald? :)

==================================

Hey Liteshoe ...watch the bald jokes. Stumpie and I are sensitive about things like that !!

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
11-14-2006, 16:32
==================================

Hey Liteshoe ...watch the bald jokes. Stumpie and I are sensitive about things like that !!

'Slogger

I'm sorry Toots. I forgot myself.
I forget that ALL my male buddies are sensitive guys.
Henceforth, I'll be more gentle and thoughtful. :)

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 16:41
I'm sorry Toots. I forgot myself.
I forget that ALL my male buddies are sensitive guys.
Henceforth, I'll be more gentle and thoughtful. :)

=================================

Can't speak for Stumpknocker but I'm OK with lettin you off the hook this time !!

'Slogger (who only lets Liteshoe call him Toots)

dloome
11-14-2006, 21:41
I'm a very warm sleeper. I'd be wearing a dry, lightweight base layer and socks, cap and maybe a light fleece in my MH Phantom 32 bag. Sometimes I drape my rain jacket over the top which adds some torso insulation.

maxNcathy
12-20-2006, 10:33
In 800 down filled Moonstone PCT 10F sleeping bag I wear #2 patagonia capilene T shirt and long jons and have smartwool socks. No hat needed.

My feelings of warm vary throughout the night. At first I feel just right, Then a couple hours later I awake feeling very hot, then by morning I feel a touch on the cool side.

Fiddleback
12-20-2006, 11:24
I've never thought of myself as a cold or a warm sleeper...but I hate to be cold at night on the trail. That said, my low-temp sleep system is;

Smartwool base layer
fleece balaclava and gloves
wool socks and down booties
BMW Cocoon pants
ID Dolomitti jacket w/hood

7oz/¼" Oware pad for the hammock; the Oware pad folded around an ancient ThermaRest when on the ground. The pad is the weak link in the system...if I want to go lower than mid-20s in the hammock I need to boost the insulation.

I no longer use a sleeping bag for temps in the 20s or warmer and I have yet to try out my quilt in sub-freezing temps. I just returned to backpacking a couple years ago -- cold-weather camping and those snowy Montana slopes will have to wait...:sun

FB