PDA

View Full Version : Tent and clothing questions...

mindi
11-12-2006, 23:31
I've gotten good at setting up my Lunar Solo in record time, but it still seems like there is not enough room inside. I understand that a single-person backpacking tent is not roomy, but it seems like something is not right. I feel like I can't move around at all without touching the sides or top of the tent, and I'm only 5' and by no means a big woman.

The doorway also still sags, so that the bottom zipper is on the ground. No matter how high I put my pole or how tight I pull it I can't seem to get the door to stop sagging.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've read and reread the instructions on setting up this tent and gone through various threads about it. Are my expectations just too high?

The other question I have is about clothing. I have all of my clothing purchased for my thru but now I'm worried about getting too cold. I have a synthetic wicking T-shirt, a synthetic long-sleeve shirt, and a heavy fleece jacket. Is that enough, or do I need some other kind of coat? I've looked at some of the more expensive coats that I've heard people mention (like Patagonia) and they are WAY out of my price range.

Thanks for any advice.

:) Mindi

Footslogger
11-12-2006, 23:57
[quote=mindi;270150]I've gotten good at setting up my Lunar Solo in record time, but it still seems like there is not enough room inside. I understand that a single-person backpacking tent is not roomy, but it seems like something is not right. I feel like I can't move around at all without touching the sides or top of the tent, and I'm only 5' and by no means a big woman.

The doorway also still sags, so that the bottom zipper is on the ground. No matter how high I put my pole or how tight I pull it I can't seem to get the door to stop sagging.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've read and reread the instructions on setting up this tent and gone through various threads about it. Are my expectations just too high?
==================================

I've had the Lunar Solo-e for almost 2 years now and I notice that there is some variation in how it pitches. You say that the doorway sags regardless of how high you put the poll. That seems strange because that is the key factor in getting the pitch correct. The poll needs to be about 44 - 45" high for starters. Normally I anchor the corners and rear of the tent first. Then I come around the front, insert the poll and walk the front line out until it is taught. After that I test the front awning flaps to make certain they close properly (I have the original velcro awning closure). Most often I pitch the front line a bit tight and have to let off on it a tad.

Last but not least, there are some tie-outs on the rear wall of the tent. I have on occasion attached some spectra line and attached them to some surrounding tree branches. That makes a huge difference in the amount of room inside, especially on the rear/sloping wall side of the tent.

I've had great results with my Lunar Solo-e and the only time I've ever felt crowded inside was on a really wet and windy night when the silnylon "gave" a little and sagged during the night. Nice thing about the Lunar Solo-e though is that all you need to do to correct that is to tighten the adjusting straps near the stakes.

'Slogger

Gaiter
11-13-2006, 00:44
The other question I have is about clothing. I have all of my clothing purchased for my thru but now I'm worried about getting too cold. I have a synthetic wicking T-shirt, a synthetic long-sleeve shirt, and a heavy fleece jacket. Is that enough, or do I need some other kind of coat? I've looked at some of the more expensive coats that I've heard people mention (like Patagonia) and they are WAY out of my price range.

Can't help you w/ the tent, but walmart $20 rain coat, it stuffs into its own pocket, its light and since you already have the fleece jacket, no need to buy a big expensive coat. good for rain and for an additional layer when its cold, but don't sleep w/ it, it will slow down the drying of your clothes (wet from sweating)

mindi
11-13-2006, 00:46
Thanks, slogger. I set my tent up the same way, I generally go around and put in all the stakes except for the front one. Then I pull the front line out and stake it tight, then I put up the pole and readjust the front line and the rest of the stakes again.

I guess I could try the tie-outs when I do a shakedown. I have the tent in my yard right now, being in Florida there's a dearth of trees.

Anyway, I'm sleeping in it tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

mindi
11-13-2006, 00:47
Thanks, hanna. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

I forgot to mention that I have a Red Ledge rain jacket (with pit zips and the whole deal) that I got from a friend. So that will be sufficient with the fleece and my other layers?

I used to be so good in the cold but since I've moved south I've turned into a big wuss.

halftime
11-13-2006, 00:49
I do not own this tent but have been researching it. Per Footslogger's post, noting that the proper height is important, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that an extender may be required to get the needed height if hiking pole is used as a center pole. Could not find where I read this, however so can't confirm. As I recall the extender is just a short peice of aluminum tubing.

Below is a link to reviews of the Lunar Solo. May help with some your questions.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/

hopefulhiker
11-13-2006, 01:48
There are sites on making your own stuff, One has a site on making a vest. If you can afford it down is the best.. They also say to alternate synthetic with down or wool.. I do like fleece though. I also like the poly pro base layers. You might try silk shirts from a thrift store... also nylon shorts are good..

Gaiter
11-13-2006, 02:28
Thanks, hanna. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

I forgot to mention that I have a Red Ledge rain jacket (with pit zips and the whole deal) that I got from a friend. So that will be sufficient with the fleece and my other layers?

I used to be so good in the cold but since I've moved south I've turned into a big wuss.

i'm not familiar w/ red ledge, but i've heard good things about them. i don't like the cold weather much either, except for the lack of bugs!!!
for cold weather, i find that i don't need much once i get going to keep me warm, its just when i get to camp, that i need the layers, i add my polypro- longsleeve (i like the ones w/ a thumb slot) under whatever shirt i've been wearing then add on my fleece vest, and if i'm still cold i add in my rain coat and i'm plenty warm. don't forget something for your head, most body heat is lost there.

mindi
11-13-2006, 07:45
Well I camped out in the yard in the tent last night. I slept great but I am really starting to worry about using this tent on my thru.

Two of the black lines that attach to the tent and stake loops snapped when I tried to tighten the tent. I tied them but who knows if they'll stay that way. The condensation was really bad, even though I left the rain fly open. The inside of the tent was really wet pretty quickly and the outside of my bag was a little damp in places. I couldn't sit up to read in the tent, and there's no way I could fit my pack or anything in there, which I'd kind of like to be able to do if the weather was poor.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm on a tight budget and I really blew a lot on this tent. Even if I sold it, I wouldn't have enough from the sale to get another tent, probably. I doubt anyone would want to trade a roomier, drier tent for this one, which also has 2 cords snapped off.

By the way, I don't want this to come across as a knock to the makers of the tent, I've read lots of good reviews and I imagine that all of these problems are my own fault, but I don't know what to do.

Just a side question, but what do you with your tent if it's raining when you get up in the morning? I don't imagine you want to pack your wet tent in your bag...

<sigh>

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2006, 07:50
Mindi, I suggest you read this WB article Cheap Gear – How to Dirt Bag and Deal Shop Like a Professional (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329) for tips on what sorts of inexpensive clothing many of the most experienced hikers on this site use.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2006, 07:56
....I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm on a tight budget and I really blew a lot on this tent. Even if I sold it, I wouldn't have enough from the sale to get another tent, probably. I doubt anyone would want to trade a roomier, drier tent for this one, which also has 2 cords snapped off.

By the way, I don't want this to come across as a knock to the makers of the tent, I've read lots of good reviews and I imagine that all of these problems are my own fault, but I don't know what to do....<sigh>Mindi, I suggest you contact six moons designs about the snapped cords - their customer service is excellent. It is possible you just got a tent that wasn't up to their normally high standards. They may also know how to correct the pitching problems and condensation issues you've noted.

mindi
11-13-2006, 08:02
Thanks dinosaurs, I think I'll do that.

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 10:00
[quote=mindi;270258]Well I camped out in the yard in the tent last night. I slept great but I am really starting to worry about using this tent on my thru.
Two of the black lines that attach to the tent and stake loops snapped when I tried to tighten the tent.

Same thing happened to my wife when she first got her Lunar Solo-e. She was out on the trail at the time and just sewed the stake loop back on (but with a much more rugged stitch). She's never had another problem and, like me, really likes the tent. If you have the time I'm sure Ron Moak would take the tent back and repair it for you. But honestly it's just as easy to fix yourself.

Just a side question, but what do you with your tent if it's raining when you get up in the morning? I don't imagine you want to pack your wet tent in your bag...

That's an excellent question and one that I dealt with prior to my thru in 2003. Instead of the silnylon stuff sack that comes with the tent I got a small mesh bag about the same size. I stuffed the tent into that bag every morning and if the tent was wet I attached it to the outside of my pack. When I would take a break during the day I would spread out the tent over a tree or bush. By the time I reached my next campsite for the night the tent was dry, most of the time !! We had SO much rain in 2003 that there were THOSE days on which nothing dried out and the tent was the least of my worries.

Don't give up on this tent too soon. It is an excellent shelter and believe me ...I've tried pretty much all of the lightweight silnylon alternatives. the biggest advantage of the Lunar Solo-e is that you don't have to carry ANY special hardware to set it up. Presuming that you are using trekking poles, you already have the upright support you need. A lot of alternative tents use trekking poles as their upright supports but they go INSIDE the tent and while that might not seem like a big deal, it can be more hassle than you would imagine. I carried the Wanderlust Nomad Lite on my thru and while it was a decent shelter it required TWO (2) poles and they went inside the tent. On occasion that was a real pain in the arse.

'Slogger

mindi
11-13-2006, 12:11
Thanks, footslogger. I do think that tying the lines that snapped is working fine for now, I'll probably sew them before my thru for added strength if I do end up using this tent.

I emailed 6MD so hopefully they can give me some more help.

Thank you SO much for the tip about taking care of a wet tent.

:) Mindi

mindi
11-13-2006, 19:22
Well they emailed me back with a photo diagram on setting up the tent, (which I've already seen), and a link to something about reducing condensation (I still have to look at that). They said the bungees snapped because I was pulling them too tight (ya think?) and that I should have plenty of room to sit up and for my gear inside the tent.

I'm starting to feel like such a moron. I'm going to try again probably Sunday when I have a day off from work.

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 19:25
I'm starting to feel like such a moron. I'm going to try again probably Sunday when I have a day off from work.

============================

Mindi ...consider taking some pics of your set-up this weekend. I'd be happy to look at them and see if there's anything I could suggest. But I agree with the note you got back from 6MD. You should have enough room to sit up near the door (mesh) walled side of the tent and still have enough room near the back (sloping wall) side of the tent for your backpack and stuff.

'Slogger

mindi
11-13-2006, 19:30
Thanks, slogger. I'll try to snap some pictures this weekend if I still can't get it to work. I think part of the problem is that I was trying to get the floor too tight. Hopefully I can work all this stuff out. I have a feeling it'll be a great little tent once I figure it out.

Spirit Walker
11-14-2006, 12:58
Mindi-If you are starting early (before mid-April) and you tend to get cold, you might consider bringing either a fleece vest or a 100-weight fleece shirt. I wear either when hiking in the winter, over a long underwear shirt. It gets too hot, too quickly, if you wear heavy fleece, so that usually doesn't last more than 10 minutes on the trail, but if it is windy or really cold, I need more than one layer while hiking. Also, you should have two long underwear tops - one to wear hiking and one to wear in camp. The one you wear hiking will get damp.

Also, keep your eyes open for sales on the Patagonia. I bought a jacket online for $50 last year. It's bright orange, but who cares, it's warm and very light and takes up much less room in my pack than my fleece did.

Alligator
11-14-2006, 13:23
MEC has the Northern Lite Vest (women's) (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7478&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302847943&bmUID=1163524813366) on sale for CA $49.

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 13:25
MEC has the Northern Lite Vest (women's) (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7478&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302847943&bmUID=1163524813366) on sale for CA $49.
=========================

I've got the mens version of the Northern Lite pullover (long sleeve) and I can attest to the warmth of this garment. Got it on-line for my 2003 thru and carried it all the way with the exception of the really hot month(s). Stuffs into it's own pocket and when I didn't need it for warmth it served as a great pillow.

'Slogger