PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rule Insurance

Dadgum
11-13-2006, 12:20
:mad: Golden Rule Insurance :mad:

Trust me. You don't want to go anywhere near Golden Rule Insurance. This was a major medical policy with a $2500 deductible, then expenses were covered 100% after that. I signed up for this plan after extensive discussions with Golden Rule reps.

Now, I am not arguing about the legal behavior here, I'm talking about ethical. They have a detailed policy write-up, which I readily admit I skimmed for the coverage that I anticipated I might need. I did not read it in depth. I will be paying for this for months.

Apparently, there are 6 things that aren't covered within the first 6 months of your policy. Lucky me, a hernia (which I got in VT) is on the list.:mad: What did that mean? That the company was unwilling to apply ANY expenses related to the hernia toward my deductible.

Here my chief problem was that the doctor couldn't determine whether it was, in fact, a hernia, or whether it was something else (it didn't push in and out). The doctor told me that I should get a CT scan done. moreover, that I should have both an Abdominal and a Pelvic CT scan because it was in the umbilical region. So the TWO CT Scans were being used to diagnose the problem.

At first contact and at second, the company rejected my claim that these should be applied toward my $2500 deductible. This amounted to $1900. Finally, after much persistence (and help from a local surgical unit's billing department), they agreed to put it toward my deductible. Well, Golden Rule decided that since it was a "Secondary Network" that they would reduce the amount of the covered ("put toward deductible") expenses to $1400. So now I felt I was looking at having to pay up to another $1100 for the impending surgery (which I've been told will cost somewhere around $10k).

I received a notice in the mail saying that $1400 had been applied to my $5000 "out of network deductible." Again, after calling the company, and verifying my policy, I find out that not only do they reduce the covered expenses (notice how in one case they call it a "Secondary Network" and in the other they call it "out-of-network"), but they have DOUBLED my expected deductible AND by calling it my "out of network" deductible they are now telling me that I currently have applied $0.00 toward my "in-network" deductible.

What does all of this mean? That now I am going to have to pay in addition to the $1900 + Surgical consult fees that they wouldn't consider, I am going to end up spending between $2500-$3500 MORE depending upon whether the facility is in their network.

Again, I'm not saying that they are doing something illegal... because as it turns out they have a number of things stated in the policy that I did not know (my own fault). I am saying that they dealt with me in an unethical manner. The operator I spoke with today said that whenever they discuss benefits, they say "benefits may be reduced in out of network providers." Apparently that means... "don't go out of network or Golden Rule is going to screw you over." Don't you think that I would have gone to a different medical facility (with a HERNIA?) if it meant saving myself $2000? Of course I would have. And they know it too. Which is why when I called from VT to ask about coverage, they kept mum on the subject.

As ticked as I am that I didn't do a better job of reading the policy, I honestly believe that Golden Rule enjoys playing semantic games that in the end will screw you over. If you are looking for a short-term insurance major medical policy... I highly recommend looking past Golden Rule.:mad:

Creek Dancer
11-13-2006, 12:25
I suggest that you contact your state's Department of Insurance and file a complaint.

halftime
11-13-2006, 13:47
Your story tells me that this company does not live up to it's name. If the exclusinons were not fully disclosed and throughly explained to you up front when you accepted the policy, this to me is a SCAM!

Unfortunately, have heard many similar stories about the entire insurance industry, especially relating to Katrina victims who have been forced to wage legal battles over coverage they really paid for and should be entitled to.

The problem as you point out, this is all legal. Therefore complaining to the state board will probobly do no good.

The Weasel
11-13-2006, 14:13
speaking as one of the few true Weasels here, and a past president of the Appalachian Trail Bar Association (2 members, now dissolved), this conduct may very well NOT be legal. You should contact the STate Insurance Commissioner or similar agency in your own state and discuss this fully with them. "Benefits Law" is very precise, but state insurance commissions watch against deception very well in many states.

The Weasel

Boat Drinks
11-13-2006, 16:19
Can anyone suggest an insurance company they WERE happy with- regarding the Short Term on the Trail health insurance?

Toolshed
11-13-2006, 16:29
If it is written in the contract and they didn't explain it to you, but you signed the contract (and you are saying that they didn't do anything illegal), then you have learned a valuable (and expensive lesson in healthcare insurance).

The 6-month exclusionary period is pretty standard when signing up for an individual policy and is used to rule out pre-existing conditions. There are a lot of unscrupulous folks without coverage who will find out they have a disease state and then try to get health care insurance to cover it.

I'd recommend any of the Blues plans or national plans like Aetna, Coventry, United Health Group, Cigna, Humana, Pacificare... I deal with them continually and they are all good ethical straight forward health organizations that operate with integrity.
But always, always read the contract fine print.

Sly
11-13-2006, 16:33
Sorry to hear about your problems both physical and legal. What were the other five exceptions?

Boat Drinks
11-13-2006, 16:35
I have good coverage right now thru Aetna at work, I wonder if its not just safer to keep the COBRA going when I quit to thru hike. I know its pricey, but the coverage would be there and the 6 months clause couldn't bite me... Thoughts?

jesse
11-13-2006, 16:52
I would not reccomend short term insurance to anyone unless they have just taken new job and are wainting on the 90 day elimination period to pass, because short-term insurance does not have continuation of coverage. In other words, If you get cancer they can drop coverage the following month and you are SOL. Whether COBRAis a good deal might depend on how much of the premium your employer has been paying. You could see you premium sky rocket.
Golden Rule is owned by United Health Care and is a very reputable company. I am sorry you had this bad experience.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-13-2006, 19:09
Golden Rule is owned by United Health CareUnited Health Care attempted to sell a policy that was pretty much worthless to one of the contractors for TVA. The workers were able to find a cheaper and better policy on their own than the group policy UHC tried to get their firm's Human Resourses team to adopt. I would be very leery of doing business with United Health Care.

Gaiter
11-13-2006, 21:05
yeah careful on the insurance, my aunt bought a cancer policy several years ago, but it turns out to be worthless. it only pays for 80% of inpatient care, and doesn't cover any outpatient treatment, which unless your really sick is the only way they treat cancer these days. we are fighting on getting them to pay for her surgery since that was all inpatient.

on the bright side, she had some amazing doctors at duke and she just had her first major check up last week and has been declared CANCER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Two Speed
11-13-2006, 21:12
TRH, that's great news.

For those of you who thiink UHC is a good company, can you please explain why someone should pay for insurance if the policy is shot full of exceptions? From where I'm standing it looks like Dadgum would have been better off keeping the premium to pay for his medical expenses.

Toolshed
11-13-2006, 22:10
Dadgum, did you ask your provider if they were a UHG in-network provider?

Two Speed
11-13-2006, 22:20
. . . I cannot blame an insurance company if someone enters an individual contract and doesn't really know what they are buying . . . Yeah, that's part of the problem from my viewpoint. You have to be a lawyer to understand those darn things. I think the comparison to a used car salesman is particularly appropriate.

OK, I've interjected myself between you and Dadgum enough and had plenty of time to run my trap. I'll bow out and follow with interest.