PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove

partinj
11-13-2006, 13:39
Their seen to be a lot on alcohol stoves but i hear they do not work well in cold weather. I plan on starting my thur-hike on Jan 18 2007 i think i will stay with my whispher Lite so far it never let down under all weather cont.:-?

Footslogger
11-13-2006, 13:43
Their seen to be a lot on alcohol stoves but i hear they do not work well in cold weather. I plan on starting my thur-hike on Jan 18 2007 i think i will stay with my whispher Lite so far it never let down under all weather cont.:-?
================================

Quite a few threads on the topic here if you do a search.

But the short answer is ...YES, at least in my experience.

'Slogger

The Weasel
11-13-2006, 13:51
Consider using 2 or even 3 stoves: Gasoline works best in cold conditions, but stoves are heavier. So when the temps are <45, go with gas. But alcohol stoves are cheap and very weight-efficient, particularly when temps are about 55+. So put a small/cheap/good alcohol stove in your bounce box or have friends mail it to you once temps are acceptable, and send your other stove back. (I use my cannister stove in mid ranges from about 45 to 65 temps, but that's just a quirk for me.)

Its sort of like your other cold-weather gear; you won't carry much of that at some points. You adapt your gear to the seasons and the terrain you're going to cover at different points.

The Weasel

headchange4u
11-13-2006, 17:33
Here's a pic (http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/index.html) of alky stove frozen in ice and still burning. Alcohol stoves do just fine in the cold.

The stove will take longer to heat up but that's about it. Some stoves have "cold weather primers" which are pans under the stove or figerglass wicking wrapped around the stove. You put a little fuel in the primer pan or on the wicking and light it and it will help to heat the stove and get the fuel to start vaporizing.

C-Stepper
11-13-2006, 17:42
I warm my stove, lighter, and fuel in my sleeping bag or jacket for a few minutes before lighting. Never any issues, and 3/4 of my trips are winter. No good for melting snow, though not an issue here where I hike, so far (southeast)

highway
11-13-2006, 17:47
My personal experience is that they will work in freezing weather and they will burn at altutude-at least to 13,000 feet. A little pre-heat may be called for but they work fine once lit and the alcohol heats up.

mweinstone
11-13-2006, 19:05
im an alcoholic but ill use gas if its a western climbb in winter.