PDA

View Full Version : UFO sightings from the AT

woodsy
11-13-2006, 22:39
Anyone seen UFO's (unidentified flying object)while hiking the AT? Just curious, seems like high places would be ideal for a SIGHTING.

Singe03
11-13-2006, 23:09
There have been tons of sightings along the AT corridor, but I don't know of any by people actively hiking the trail. There was an Appalachian UFO Research Center but it is now defunct.

Fly By Mike
11-13-2006, 23:28
Don't know about UFO's but there are some nights in late summer in Maine when you can get a real good look at the Northern Lights. Two years ago one night I got to see the sunset, the moonrise, and the northern lights all within a few hours. Made me more convinced than ever that the wilderness is a great place to hang out at night.

Vi+
11-13-2006, 23:40
I've had several Unidentified Flying Object sightings along the Appalachian Trail at night.

I’ve been able to identify them fairly quickly, usually as bats, thus canceling the “U” part; but, for a short while, they were definitely UFO’s.

Lion King
11-13-2006, 23:45
I actually have film footage of two of them I got while near Siler while camped in the wooden fire tower.

The coolest thing about one of them is that it hovers and then it goes straight up and all you can see is a line of fire...going up.

I showed some people the footage and they say it is the Brown MTN lights.

Gaiter
11-14-2006, 00:33
the only ufo's i've seen have involved throwing a bear line.

LostInSpace
11-14-2006, 00:34

Michele
11-14-2006, 00:35
Oh....I thought for a second UFO stood for "unidentified farting objects," in which case...I hear the shelters are full of them! :)

tiamalle
11-14-2006, 00:35
Anyone seen UFO's (unidentified flying object)while hiking the AT? Just curious, seems like high places would be ideal for a SIGHTING.Some hiker put a post on my forum that he run face to face in the smokies with bigfoot http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2 :-?

LostInSpace
11-14-2006, 00:39
Oh....I thought for a second UFO stood for "unidentified farting objects," in which case...I hear the shelters are full of them! :)

Yeah, but those are the invisible ones! :D

Gaiter
11-14-2006, 00:50

lets hope they are invisible:eek:

RAT
11-14-2006, 01:38
Sure lots of times but pretty sure they were all mushroom related :sun

Excerpt from BolDar`s song "Damascus" :
"the shrooms were good but the mice were mean"

lol

RAT

BR360
11-14-2006, 02:04
I saw UFO's from Black Balsam Knob in Shining Rock Wilderness (NC) about 20 years ago. So weird I remember it as if it were last night. Stark clear night in June, no moon. My best friend and I had finished a late night supper, and were lying on our backs on a rock slab stargazing. I noticed two unique lights, unlike any stars I'd ever seen. One was bluish, and the other was oranger, both completely stationary, and both a bit brighter than ordinary, but not much brighter than Jupiter. I had 8x35 binoculars and glassed them for a couple of minutes. I could see other stars in my field of vision, so I knew they were stationary. Suddenly the orange one started moving, zig-zagging back and forth across a track about an inch wide and for an equivalent distances of my outstretched hand held at arms length. Then it zoomed away in a straight line, disappearing after another foot or so (again, equivalent distance to my outstretched arm). It emitted no sound. My friend saw it too, and we were shocked and anxious. I commented thast the bluish one looked unusual, too, and then it did the same thing that the orange one did, and diappeared. We were over 6000' high, and it could not have been a helicopter that much higher. (Plus the G-forces of the zig-zag and the accelerations would have been phenomenal.) Doesn;t make sense to be a satelite, as they are either stationary or orbiting at a steady speed. Jet plane? What kind can be stationary, and then suddenly move? Weather balloon? Not at that speed...So it is Unidentified. ANyone have any other ideas of what they might have been, I'd love to know, because I've yet to come up with a plausible explanation other than (1) alien craft, (2) military blackest of ops, (3) trans-dimensional objects, (4) God goofing around with some stars to freak me out...[and drugs are a rule-out, as we were drug-free Eagle Scouts].

Heater
11-14-2006, 03:36

Yeabut it's the silent ones you have to worry about. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2006, 06:59
I saw UFO's from Black Balsam Knob in Shining Rock Wilderness (NC) about 20 years ago. ...two unique lights, unlike any stars I'd ever seen. One was bluish, and the other was oranger, both completely stationary, and both a bit brighter than ordinary, but not much brighter than Jupiter. I had 8x35 binoculars and glassed them for a couple of minutes. I could see other stars in my field of vision, so I knew they were stationary. Suddenly the orange one started moving, zigzagging back and forth across a track about an inch wide and for an equivalent distances of my outstretched hand held at arms length. Then it zoomed away in a straight line, disappearing after another foot or so (again, equivalent distance to my outstretched arm). It emitted no sound. My friend saw it too, and we were shocked and anxious. I commented that the bluish one looked unusual, too, and then it did the same thing that the orange one did, and diappeared.I saw something very similar to what you describe several times back in the mid-1970's and early 1980's. The objects were extremely high and moved in a way that left no doubt that they were unlike any of the planes, helos, satellites, balloons I had seen before. A number of my friends saw these as well. We assumed they were some sort of military craft, but I now doubt that was the case (we still don't have anything that could move as fast or with as much precision as these crafts demonstrated).

MOWGLI
11-14-2006, 07:59
Anyone seen UFO's (unidentified flying object)while hiking the AT? Just curious, seems like high places would be ideal for a SIGHTING.

Lots of ultralight aircraft in the Warwick, NY area. That's near Wawayanda SP. I remember many nights at the Drive In Theatre (http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1006131/driveinmovie/) watching lights hover and move slowly in circles for hours. At least I THINK they were ultralight aircraft.

woodsy
11-14-2006, 08:30
Back in the late 70's just north of Kathadin in the Allagash region, 3 guys on a fishing trip claim they were TRANSPORTED by a beam of light to a UFO and given the once over before being released. This story has been on the tube .
A new sighting last week in the foothills not far from the AT here, will try to find the news article.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 08:42
I ain't seen no UFOs on the trail but I did see the Loch Ness monster swimming up the Hudson towards West Point some years back.

woodsy
11-14-2006, 14:17
Back in the late 70's just north of Kathadin in the Allagash region, 4 guys on a fishing trip claim they were TRANSPORTED by a beam of light to a UFO and given the once over before being released. This story has been on the tube .

www.ufocasebook.com/Allagash.html (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.ufocasebook.com/Allagash.html)

Within sight of Kathadin................

woodsy
11-14-2006, 14:26
try this one ho hum

http://ufocasebook.com/allagash.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-14-2006, 14:33
I ain't seen no UFOs on the trail but I did see the Loch Ness monster swimming up the Hudson towards West Point some years back.Pssshhaaww... that was just Jack skinny dipping. ;)

woodsy
11-14-2006, 14:39
http://www.ufocasebook.com/Allagash.html

If this doesn't work than it is being hijacked by the ..............

tiamalle
11-14-2006, 22:57
I ain't seen no UFOs on the trail but I did see the Loch Ness monster swimming up the Hudson towards West Point some years back.maybe he moved south a little

Shutterbug
11-14-2006, 23:16

I didn't see any UFOs, but the AT is a great place to see Iridium Flares. I have seen several of them, but didn't know their name until this summer

From Wikipedia:

Iridium satellite flare
The Iridium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_%28satellite%29) communication satellites have a peculiar shape with three polished door-sized antennas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28electronics%29), 120 degrees apart and at 40 degree angles with the main bus. The forward mirror faces the direction in which the satellite is travelling. Occasionally an antenna will directly reflect sunlight down to the Earth, creating a predictable and quickly moving illuminated spot of about 10 km diameter. To an observer this looks like an extremely bright flare in the sky with a duration of a couple of seconds.
Some of the flares are so bright (up to -8 magnitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_magnitude)) that they can be seen at daytime, but they are most impressive at night. This flashing has been of extreme annoyance to astronomers as the flares occasionally disturb observations and can damage sensitive equipment.
When not "flaring" the satellites are often still just visible to the naked eye - a typical magnitude is 6, similar to a dim star.

CaptChaos
11-15-2006, 00:01
In all my years I have never seen any UFO's on the AT around Cades Cove but I did do a couple of brews once with Big Foot one night at Spence Field, well anyway I thought it was Big Foot, but then after a few everything seems sort of hairy anyway, but I regress.

woodsy
11-15-2006, 00:20
Well i'm no UFO fanatic but in 1989 while on a country ride in the foothills nearby, and not far from the AT I did witness a unusual bright white light stationary over a pond. Stopped and watched for some time, no noise, close by, at about 1000' above water:eek:. And I wasn't the only one who saw it.
Next time I go into the Kathadin/Allagash region I think I'll keep the campfire down a bit though. If you read the link i posted:eek:.....large campfires might attract some unusual company:-?

halftime
11-15-2006, 00:51
Has anyone ever heard of or seen the Marfa Lights? Theses occur in the Big Bend area of Texas between the towns of Alpine and Marfa. I have seen them and believe me they are for real. Sightings occur almost on a nightly basis depending on climate conditions.

First documented sightings occured in the 1800's. Much investigation and theories have been formulated but don't believe a firm scientific explaination has been developed.

During the filming of the movie Giant, James Dean became intrigued with this phenomenon and financed and took part in extensive aerial investagations but could not solve the mystery.

Many websites about them. Link below is one of many. If you are ever in the Big Bend area recommend you check them out.

http://www.marfatx.com/b_lights.asp

Lambofsatan
06-18-2007, 17:50
Lots of ultralight aircraft in the Warwick, NY area. That's near Wawayanda SP. I remember many nights at the Drive In Theatre (http://webusers.warwick.net/%7Eu1006131/driveinmovie/) watching lights hover and move slowly in circles for hours. At least I THINK they were ultralight aircraft.

Ultralight craft? :rolleyes: Tell that to the ufo sightings (http://www.alienhub.com) forums members!

The Weasel
06-18-2007, 18:08
They are only "unidentified" to those of you who do not hear the voices in your head. Yet.

The Weasel

smokymtnsteve
06-18-2007, 18:25
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"Every analysis leaves a residue of the unknown; this we call God or Karma or--depending on time and place--the UFO. (Unidentified ****ing Object)."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

mweinstone
06-18-2007, 19:05
their will be no aliens while you are sleeping. god made things to represent things in heaven and hell. the universe is a picture of seperation from god. there is no life at all on any other planets. not a single trace. the vacume of space carries no sound to be a picture of useless screaming no one will ever hear in hell. the absolute zero frozen part represents no warmth from god. and the dim lights of the stars are how far and few the remnent of belivers is here on earth. and the planets trapped in each others orbits and lifeless represent souls in hell going around and around and never haveing rest. the great distances of space represent our seperation from god due to sin. our sun riseing each day is a picture of the living god and his living word witch concors darkness without fail. and spending moneys on rockets to look for other life instead of feeding our own is a picture of mans useless phillosophys and where they lead. they lead nowhere and they leave children behind, starving and wanting. the bible says god is lord of lords. so if aliens exist, they know the j man and speak his name too.

mweinstone
06-18-2007, 19:11
oh yeah. and the thing the universe is screaming the loudest at us, on behalf of god is,...that its all, allways , hanging over our heads.

refreeman
06-18-2007, 19:22
Sounds like mweinstone IS a UFO. LOL

woodsy
06-19-2007, 08:20
With news coverage in local papers at this link (http://www.alienhub.com/ufos-maine-major-t593.html)
Heard about this one from some local residents of the area.
Believe it or not............:D Only twenty five miles from the AT:eek:

tekiechick
06-19-2007, 08:28
Don't know about UFO's but there are some nights in late summer in Maine when you can get a real good look at the Northern Lights. Two years ago one night I got to see the sunset, the moonrise, and the northern lights all within a few hours. Made me more convinced than ever that the wilderness is a great place to hang out at night.

Wow! I've been waiting 28 years to see the northern lights. Went to Saulte St. Marie once on business, checked the solar weather patterns sure that I'd see something one night. I fell asleep waiting. Next morning, a couple people on site asked me if I saw the lights the previous night. My heart sunk a million miles that day. I still can't believe I missed them.

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2007, 03:42
I love the aurora,,,watch them out my cabin window all the time in the winter...to really experience the Northern Lights on must spend a lot of time in Alaska,,,,Fairbanks area is world famous for aurora viewing.

the sled dogs start singing a certain song when the lights are really playing so I know when to check the sky.

the lights can take many forms, colors and shapes..sometimes just a faint green glow..sometimes a wave of color from horizon to horizon seeming to float above the ice fog over the river valley,,,sometimes a multicolored curtain of rapidly moving light,,,sometimes a round corona with spikes of lights shooting from the center,

nothing like the lights playing and the dogs singing to you on a cold clear
alaska night.

I also like Sun dogs..aka perihelion.

woodsy
06-20-2007, 09:16
Some awesome pics here (http://www.prairiejournal.com/northern_lights/080102.htm) of the Aurora Borealis. Best viewing in the Northeast is spring and fall between midnight and 2-3 am.

LIhikers
06-21-2007, 08:49
I ain't seen no UFOs on the trail but I did see the Loch Ness monster swimming up the Hudson towards West Point some years back.

Nessy must have come over for vacation, to visit relatives... :eek:

middle to middle
06-21-2007, 13:53
To be honest I have to admit to seeing them there once myself. My wife and I went to dinner at the Duck Ceeder Inn. on rt 17 in Ramapo I think. Yes we had a few drinks and on the way home just above the toxic waste dump the mafia used on the right side of the road we both saw a large UFO that hovered over the dump, we along with everyone on the road pulled over and watched for a while.
The next day I called Police and Stewart Airforce base and inquired and got no confirmation of anything.

woodsy
06-24-2007, 11:17
This is not a hoax, joke or photoshop picture (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_0512.jpg)you are about to see. This photo was taken late last night in the sky over Maine. Any explanations or anyone else ever seen anything like it?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

mudhead
06-24-2007, 15:01
Not sober.

woodsy
06-24-2007, 15:19
Picture #2 (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_0511.jpg)

Y'all think I'm some kinda wack job dont ya:bananaDon't blame ya, but my campfires are gonna have a real dull glow to them after seeing this bizarre stuff.:)

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 12:46
For the most part, I believe UFO sightings are mistaken for natural phenomenon or even government testing new aircraft, or outright hoaxes. However, the number of airline pilots that have reported unknown objects in the sky intrigues me. Also the Phoenix Lights is pretty interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_lights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_lights)

Footslogger
12-30-2007, 13:00

=================================

No flying objects ...but one day I could have sworn I saw Elvis.

'Slogger

Blue Jay
12-30-2007, 13:27
=================================

No flying objects ...but one day I could have sworn I saw Elvis.

'Slogger

Of course you have. Elvis loves the AT and has been a trail angel for years. I taked to him last at the hikerfest this summer in Rutland Vermont. He was sanding next to me listening to the concert. Next time you're hiking thru Tenn. and a cadilac pulls up, you'll be in for a treat. Footslogger, I know you treat him with respect, but the young punks sometimes laugh at him. Cut that out, he's a good guy and pretty old. He won't be around forever.

The Mechanical Man
12-31-2007, 01:03
There goes one now, HURRY LOOK.............................................. .........

Crap, .................................................. ............................................it just flew off, into the "sensitive issue" area of the website................

Made you look!

Ramble~On
12-31-2007, 05:35
I don't care what kind of Unidentified Food Object it is....If it's on the trail....it's fair game.

Ramble~On
12-31-2007, 05:41
Picture #2 (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_0511.jpg)

Y'all think I'm some kinda wack job dont ya:bananaDon't blame ya, but my campfires are gonna have a real dull glow to them after seeing this bizarre stuff.:)

That is just some migrating flying turtle sperm...sometimes if the turtle ate too much of a certain kind of sea moss.....well, they lose control while migrating and the cells have a glow to them. Nothing to worry about as long as only a few are in the area. This is a simple biological process and is just as natural as the tree sprem and all that "pollen" stuff that will be causing allegies this spring.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 09:07
There goes one now, HURRY LOOK.............................................. .........

Crap, .................................................. ............................................it just flew off, into the "sensitive issue" area of the website................

Made you look!::: Dino bites Mechanical man on his glowing, senstive toes :::

mweinstone
12-31-2007, 11:00
im a ufo..........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 11:11
im a ufo.......... :banana Utterly Fabulous One :banana

Smile
12-31-2007, 11:33
We are all UFO's, the United Family of Outdoorspeople :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 14:28
UFO's are a myth created by the U.S. Government to disguise their advanced aircraft and spaceflight vehicle programs from you stupid earthli--:datz people. What a gullible species yo--:datz we are.

Captn
12-31-2007, 14:59
our sun riseing each day is a picture of the living god and his living word witch concors darkness without fail. and spending moneys on rockets to look for other life instead of feeding our own is a picture of mans useless phillosophys and where they lead. they lead nowhere and they leave children behind, starving and wanting. the bible says god is lord of lords. so if aliens exist, they know the j man and speak his name too.

Hummmmm .... this is ONE way to think of it.

Myself ... I don't presume to know the mind of God. We were made to be a curious species ..... to presume that Man, in his quest for answers, his need for exploration, and his use of science to understand the world about him is not working within God's plan is pretty dogmatic if you ask me.

It is enough for me to enjoy the fantastic diversity of this world, it's people, and the unmatched beauty of nature without falling into the trap of applying my own limited intellect in a vain attempt to completely understand or limit the infinite.

Remember, my friend, the story of the Tower of Babel ..... and learn from it's lesson that it is folly and arrogance to aspire to know the mind of God.

Egads
02-15-2009, 19:27
Anyone have an UFO experience on the trail lately

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 20:57
Yeah One landed in my backyard.