PDA

View Full Version : Deliverance flashbacks in Elk Park

lobster
11-13-2006, 23:31
I remember going into the local establishment to get a room and I had to wait for the owner for a few minutes and was seated in the living room. There was an old lady who looked ........... and didn't say a word, but just stared off into space. When the owner came back, he said that she was blind and deaf or something to that effect. Now that is truly sad, but the genetics just weren't looking up to par at that joint.

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 09:18
What is your point in all that? Did you feel right at home there?

Heater
11-14-2006, 09:24
What is your point in all that? Did you feel right at home there?

Well I thought it was a lovely story and he tells it so well! :D

BloodRoot. I tried to PM you some info a couple of months back but it woiuldn't go through!

Did you make the trip to the coast yet?

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 09:45
Well I thought it was a lovely story and he tells it so well! :D

BloodRoot. I tried to PM you some info a couple of months back but it woiuldn't go through!

Did you make the trip to the coast yet?

Ahh the job I had in Rockdale? Yeah got back a week or so ago. Really wish I would have got the time to hit up some of the trails down there. Other than the occasional day hike I really haven't been able to hit up anything down in the hill country. Any recommendations?

Heater
11-14-2006, 10:01
Ahh the job I had in Rockdale? Yeah got back a week or so ago. Really wish I would have got the time to hit up some of the trails down there. Other than the occasional day hike I really haven't been able to hit up anything down in the hill country. Any recommendations?

I hope to get over to Lost maples in a couple of weeks. I should be really nice this time of year.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/

It's really beautiful in that whole area.

berninbush
11-14-2006, 11:30
LOL talk about thread creep!

However, I'm interested in the new topic. I keep hearing about Lost Maples, but I haven't made it over there yet. It's about a five hour drive for me, which is a lot of driving to do for a single weekend, and unfortunately I can't take time off work. And I wasn't sure this was the best year to go, as the trees here have barely begun losing leaves and won't turn nice colors.

I did hike part of the Lone Star Hiking Trail weekend before last, and had a very nice outing.

Heater
11-14-2006, 11:45
LOL talk about thread creep!

However, I'm interested in the new topic. I keep hearing about Lost Maples, but I haven't made it over there yet. It's about a five hour drive for me, which is a lot of driving to do for a single weekend, and unfortunately I can't take time off work. And I wasn't sure this was the best year to go, as the trees here have barely begun losing leaves and won't turn nice colors.

A total redirection. A Hijack! :D

I did hike part of the Lone Star Hiking Trail weekend before last, and had a very nice outing.

It will probably be less than spectacular this year. We have a cool (cold?)front coming in this week that might change things. Had some rain too.
I am hoping for the best. Don't now if I'll do an overnighter or not but probably will. I'd like to test some new stuff.

berninbush
11-14-2006, 11:58
I did look at the foliage report on the Lost Maples website, and it looks like there's something to see, even if it's not at the "peak" of other years. I would go for a day hike if it weren't so far.

Have fun if you go, and tell us if it's good!

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 12:14
Where is that? Info?

A total redirection. A Hijack! :D
It will probably be less than spectacular this year. We have a cool (cold?)front coming in this week that might change things. Had some rain too.
I am hoping for the best. Don't now if I'll do an overnighter or not but probably will. I'd like to test some new stuff.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the sight. Hope to get down there after Thanksgiving break.

Someone told me the spot to go is near Big Bend? Any experiences down there?

berninbush
11-14-2006, 12:19
The Lone Star Hiking trail runs through the Sam Houston National Forest, just north of Conroe (Houston).

I just bumped up a legitimate Texas hiking thread to continue the conversation. :)

STEVEM
11-14-2006, 12:25
You guys need to stay "on topic".

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooking-lobster/lobster-killing.html

Heater
11-14-2006, 12:40

Thanks for the link.

You know when you cook a lobster it kinda squeals... you know, like a pig...

saimyoji
11-14-2006, 13:36
I have several friends who've spent time in Big Bend. THey loved it.

Ramble~On
11-14-2006, 14:27

:eek: Man......

My first trip to Maine...I was ? 6 or 7....we pulled into some restaurant somewhere and all of us kids were told to pick out lobsters...we did and played with them for a couple minutes till they were carted away..
When they came back they were redish orange and not very fun to play with anymore.....so we ate them:D .

Nean
11-15-2006, 01:12
I remember going into the local establishment to get a room and I had to wait for the owner for a few minutes and was seated in the living room. There was an old lady who looked ............

..................just like your momma:rolleyes:

.................../sister:eek:

...................:D

freefall
11-15-2006, 04:41

Step 2. Press the point of the knife into the head at that point until the point of the knife goes all the way through the lobster's head to the cutting board, then bring the blade down between the eyes to finish the cut of the head.
This kills the lobster as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Um, how would they know? Not anti meat here or anything but we were always taught to put lobsters, crab, etc... in room temp water and then apply heat. Seems a sharp, hefty knife to the skull might smart just a bit.:eek:

With that said, where's the butter?!:D