PDA

View Full Version : UL Camp shoes/sandals??

tlbj6142
05-19-2003, 11:14
This past weekend while on a trip near Damascus, I noticed quite a few thru-hikers wearing these light-weight open-healed sandles, call Waddles (I think?). Anyone seen them? Use them? How light are they?

I can't find a picture online, but they were everywhere at trail days.

If I can't get more info on the Waddles, I think I might order a pair of these (http://www.sprintaquatics.com/900_901.htm).

kythruhiker
05-19-2003, 11:21
I noticed the same thing at Trail Days last weekend - these pink/orange/yellow what looked like big shower shoes. I saw em at a few of the outfitters tents for sale but didn't buy any. I'll put a photo up in the gallery, think I have one of someone dancing in them...

Peace,
Ed

Presto
05-19-2003, 12:34
They are called Waldies. I like the design of these but never tried them. I had lightweight Nike sandals and enjoyed them but the waldies look better to me and they are also light.

tlbj6142 - seems like the shoes in the link would press all over your feet. Maybe they would be OK but loose fitting sandals are nice at the end of the day for breathability.

Don
05-19-2003, 12:34
if you can't find those, check out a pair of Teva Mush sandals...very light, a few ounces, and supportive. Cost about 20 bucks...

kythruhiker
05-19-2003, 12:54
Here's a picture of someone cutting a rug in their Waldies...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1047

You can buy direct from Walden Sports at http://www.waldenstore.com/waldies.html

Anyone know how much they weigh?

Peace,
Ed

NOTE - just got an email back from Walden Sports, the Waldies weigh in at 11.5 ounces at the most (the XXLs).

tlbj6142
05-19-2003, 14:22
Quite a bit lighter than my 20oz NIKE ACG sandals. Might be worth a look.

Mudchaos
05-19-2003, 21:03
The clogs in the picture are called ComfortClogs, they are made in Canada for medical professionals, gardeners etc... I am actually wearing a pair right now:D I am a nurse and just got off shift, these are pretty common footware in the hospital. Not sure of exact weight but estimate 7-9 oz!! thats for a pair!!!. Very comfy even when standing for 12 hour shifts. They make great camp shoes as well, waterproof (your feet get wet but clogs are foam and dont absorb any), very breathable thanks to multiple vents on top and sides. I would highly recommend them. Heres a link to a nursing supply company with good prices and always in stock.

http://www.allheart.com/fpac.html

Only $16.94 USD

Peace, Rich

max patch
05-20-2003, 08:28
Except for the picture I've never seen the shoes, so perhaps a user can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that camp shoes should also be able to function as hiking shoes needed. These clogs do not appear to able to function as a hiking shoe. I'll continue to use sandals as a camp shoe.

kythruhiker
05-20-2003, 08:41
I tend to agree with max patch, which is why I'd like to find a good pair of light Teva's. Someone recommended the Mush above, but those are thongs, which don't play nice with socks. Any recommendations on Teva's for the trail?

Ed

tlbj6142
05-20-2003, 09:01
Why do camp shoes have to function as trail shoes as well?

BTW, this past weekend, we saw several thru-hikers on the trail wearing open-heeled sandals.

Happy
05-20-2003, 09:05
The waldies were a big hit this year at Neal's Gap, so many hikers purchased them....I read of two hikers on trailjournals using them as emergency hiking shoes...don't know how practical? I looked at them in a size 10 1/2 mens and they were around 11-12 ounces.

max patch
05-20-2003, 09:47
Originally posted by tlbj6142
Why do camp shoes have to function as trail shoes as well

They don't HAVE to but if you are going to carry the extra weight (some don't) of camp shoes it makes sense that they be multi-functional. Your boots or trail runners may fail between town (happened to me) OR your boots may give you blisters early in your hike (happens to many) and a change of footwear may prove beneficial.

Tevas are great for fording some of deeper, faster flowing Maine streams. I don't know how good clogs would be.

Presto
05-20-2003, 11:26
I guess it depends what you want. For me camp shoes are something to wear at the end of the day to allow your feet to breathe and protect the bottoms of your feet. The lightest option is the most attractive. I have never seen a light pair of tevas.

tlbj6142
05-20-2003, 11:33
That is exactly how I use camp shoes; air out the pigs. For river crossings, I just leave my shoes on, but take off my socks and insoles. Feet stay dry (after the crossing) and I have better support on the riverbed than with sandals.

Kerosene
05-20-2003, 13:07
Just got a response from Jon at Walden Sports who says that a women's size 8 weighs in at 9 ounces, while a men's size 10 comes in at 11 ounces. This makes them very comparable to all but the flimsiest slippers I've considered.

Don
05-20-2003, 13:13
Presto....the Teva Mush flip flops weigh in at about 8 ounces....

Presto
05-20-2003, 15:00
The Teva Mushs are lighter than I thought they were (size 9 mens = 8 oz. However, the design of them (having the thong between toes) prohibits the use of socks in colder weather. I still like the Waldies design best. An alternate camp shoe a friend of mine used was tennis shoe insoles and duct tape. Now thats lightweight.

Blue Jay
05-21-2003, 08:33
Inserts and duct tape for camp shoes!! Thats the best freaking idea I've ever heard. Thank you.

tlbj6142
05-21-2003, 09:14
If you like the duct tape and insole idea, check out this (http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html) idea.

AmazinGrace
05-21-2003, 09:35
I made some of those one-ounce camp sandals that tlbj posted the link to in the preceding post, and they're awesome. Can't beat the price, either (free)!

Before making them, I did a lot of hiking with no camp shoes, to save weight, and these are great--they give your feet a break from boots but don't break your back in your pack. Highly recommended!
Amazin' Grace

Israel
05-21-2003, 21:38
Originally posted by tlbj6142
If you like the duct tape and insole idea, check out this (http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html) idea.

I like the sock idea the best! Wow- some people really, really have creative imaginations! I am truly impressed. I think I will make some of those sandals for all my relatives for their next birthday. I am SURE they would all really appreciate their own pair....maybe a combo pack of sandals and accompanying socks??!!:D

Rambler
05-27-2003, 17:48
Don't tell Rainmaker that you cannot wear socks with flip-flops. footwear (http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html)
Keep your toes covered crossing streams. Yes. Remove socks and liners.

wjseaman
06-06-2003, 13:57
I've bought a pair but haven't tried them. But mine have a strap for around the heal. I'm going to try them out next week on a little 4 trip in the SNP.
wjseaman

jojo0425
06-10-2003, 12:25
I just purchased a pair of Teva Rodium shoes. I like them. They fit like running shoes, full coverage with a mesh upper and drain ports.
I like these better than sandals b/c my toes are completely covered and they tie up so you won't lose them in the current. I wear mine without socks and have a good fit.

www.rei.com

S.G.:D

wjseaman
06-10-2003, 13:06
These cover toes too. I've never liked to wear sandals in the woods because of the uncovered toes issue.

bartender
07-12-2003, 15:02
I have also been debating the campshoe/sandal issue a bit and I have been thinking of those clogs. I have worked in restaurants for over 10 years and the chefs and cooks often wear clogs, these guys are on their feet for 12-15 hours a day so there has to be something to them, I am unsure how they would fare on rough terrain but for around camp and town use they are probobly the lightest most comfortable choice.

tlbj6142
07-14-2003, 09:03
Waddles are basically clogs. Check out the links in the 3rd, or 4th, message in this thread.

wjseaman
07-14-2003, 09:08
I made the mistake of not wearing socks with the waddles. Ended up having many, many bug bites.

Mudchaos
07-14-2003, 12:18
Just got another pair of Waldies on sale for $10.99 USD.

http://www.allheart.com/fpac.html

tlbj6142
07-14-2003, 13:04
Originally posted by wjseaman
I made the mistake of not wearing socks with the waddles. Ended up having many, many bug bites. This could happen with any sandals.

steve hiker
02-07-2004, 20:28
Just received a pair of very lightweight camp shoes from www.sprintaquatics.com (http://www.sprintaquatics.com/) . They're listed on the website as "Men's Nylon Mesh Shoes." A direct link to the shoes is http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=10

They have a rubber sole and enclosed nylon mesh top. Can't weigh any more than 1 or 2 ounces for the pair. While the nylon mesh top is truly a mesh and does not offer the protection of a heavier material, it fully encloses the top of the foot and should keep the toes from flopping around better than open-toed sandels. So it may save a few stubbed toes. I'll know when I try them out.

And they're only $3 a pair. Shipping is around $5, so you may want to order two pairs. I ordered only one pair this time to check them out.

The really good thing about these shoes (besides the low cost) is the weight. Easily the lightest camp shoes I've ever found, including any at Wally World.

Also because they're made entirely of rubber and nylon mesh, they'll dry out rapidly after getting wet.

Not tough, but should suffice for ambling around camp, going to fetch water and to the privy, etc. Just don't go off the beaten path with them.

Another shoe from this company I'm going to check out is the "Pro Swim Shoe" at http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=903&variation=&aitem=5&mitem=10 It looks like it would provide more protection to the toes, and looks lightweight but I don't know how lightweight. Since they're only $5 a pair I'll check them out.

jojo0425
02-07-2004, 22:24
I hope they are good, just ordered 2 pairs :clap

Sniker
02-23-2004, 13:40
Okay, so I received my pair of Sprint Aquatics Men's Nylon Mesh shoes. For the record, my size Large weighed in at just under 1.5 oz. Here's my initial review. The first thing I noticed was that the shoes were not constructed very well and the materials are not very durable. The rubber sole does not appear at first glance to be able to handle too much abuse, but should suffice for camp duties and privy runs. The nylon mesh, on the other hand, would prove to be the real week point.

Right out of the box (or plastic bag, in this case), the stitching was coming loose around the ankle opening. I immediately called Sprint Aquatics to complain and they told me to send then back so they could verify the problem. Well, at $3.99 a pair, it would cost me more in shipping and personal trouble to do so. Instead, I hung up the phone with Sprint Aquatics somewhat frustrated and decided to to fix them myself.

I started by reiforcing the mylon mesh to the elastic ankle opening by hand with needle and thread where it had already come loose (I would later find myself doing this several more times in other areas around the opening and along runaway tears heading down from the ankle opening). These things were quickly turning from what my girlfriend refers to as "mental patient shoes" into full blown Franken-flops! But I was determined to find a way to make them work while putting them through their paces. After all, they're soooo light...

One other note. I wear custom orthotic foot beds for my high arches which help my feet from pronating and greatly improve the fit of any shoe I wear. I was thrilled that I could slip my orthotics into these nylon mesh camp shoes and instantly have such a snug fitting and fully supportive slipper under foot. I was very pleased with how well these slippers absorbed the pokes and prods of little pebbles and sticks when used with the extra padding of my orthotic insole. Additionally, I imagined that these would work even in a rain-soaked camp by simply slipping SilNylon stuff sacks over your socks before putting your slippers on as a waterproof barrier that keeps your socks dry. It's at this moment, running around my apartment with stuff sacks on my feet, that I start to worry about my girlfriend's "mental patient" comment. Oh well...

Okay, so to wrap up, I have to say that these nylon mesh shoes have impressed me with their light weight (under 1.5 oz. for the pair in size Large) and simplistic construction. However, the durability of the matrials (especially the nylon mesh) will undoubtedly make these a disposable item. Of course, at $3.99 a pair, you may want to consider this as an option. Use one pair per trip and throw them away when you're done. Or perhaps you can leave a few pairs in your bounce box on a thru-hike and replace them as necesary.

Personally, I'm not happy with the durability issues. I am planning on constructing a custom pair which will be more durable (if a little heavier) with a few modifications. My aim is to create the perfect ultralight camp shoes which can still do double duty for river crossings. The main modification (other that stronger mesh) will be the addition of a Velcro hook and loop strap which will lock the opening around the ankle and (hopefully) keep the shoes from ripping off my feet under the pressures of swift moving water.

If I can achieve these goals, I will have shaved almost a pound of pack weight (when compared to my Teva Proton water shoes) and still have all of the functions the Teva's offered around camp and accross streams.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Sniker
06-17-2004, 22:31
Sorry about the delay in posting, but here's the news. Sprint Aquatic has switched manufacturers of their nylon mesh shoe and I am happy to report that they seem to have a consistent product which wears reasonably well. I showed them at the ADZPCTKO and have tested them several times with good results. The bottoms do collect sap and dirt, and are subject to small punctures, so probably require replacement every so often. But at $3.99 a pair, I think it's in the budget. Weight is about 2 oz per pair. One note: stuff sacks can be worn over the sock, inside the mesh shoe in wet conditions.

Big Oak
06-18-2004, 18:35
Wal-Mart flip flops.

fuzz
06-18-2004, 18:55
I bought a pair of the mesh shoes for a week long hike on the Northville-Placid trail. They weigh next to nothing, are comfortable, and the mesh holds the sole to your foot very well. The problem I had with them is that there wasn't much cushioning from rocks and debris. Not a problem if you don't do much walking after you set up camp, but I found it annoying. It would add weight, but if the thickness of the sole were doubled I think it would make the shoes much more feasible for the little rocks, roots, and debris that you never notice when you're wearing hiking shoes.

BigToe
06-29-2004, 16:41
I've been looking for the Waldies since I met someone in SNP with them last year and felt how light they were. I couldn't find them anywhere (should've joined Whiteblaze.net sooner!) but just bought a pair of Crocs at Campmor a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39154584

The Crocs are pretty expensive at $29.99. They weigh 12.3 oz. One benefit over the Waldies is that they have a heel strap so I think they'll be better in water, especially fast moving water.

My son and I are hiking all of Vermont AT 7/16-31, so look for Catfish John and Dan (no trail moniker yet).

See you on the AT!

:clap

brian
06-29-2004, 17:00
I *just* bought a pair of XL BLue Waldies from Backpackingdeals.com. Cheap at only $22, and the only place online with any sort of stock in XL...I cant wait for them to come!

Brian

Jaybird
06-29-2004, 17:13
hey there's a new kid on the block....same style clogs as WALDIES & CROCS...but half the weight! Check it out!

QUARKS

Quarks, a new brand from SoftSpots, are ultra lightweight shoes that offer long-wear comfort in a moisture managed environment. Quarks are made of a revolutionary single unit construction that includes a duo-density foot bed complete with DRYZ Intellitemp moisture management system built right in. These two patented technologies couple to make the Quark extremely lightweight, technically advanced, durable, and very comfortable even after many, many hours of wear. The lightest clog in the world @ just over 4 oz.!

QUARKS (http://www.free-web-counters-online.com/pricing_detail.asp?mid=155&cat=Shoes&kc=Quark+Shoes&dfk=quark&sf=)

of course...i made this discovery AFTER i bought my wife a pair of CROCS for 29.99 @ Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs!

I_think_I_can
07-28-2004, 16:18
Try puting super glue on the seams, it'll keep thread from unraveling, and help seal.

Erin

White Oak
07-28-2004, 16:30
The lightest clog in the world @ just over 4 oz.!
QUARKS (http://www.free-web-counters-online.com/pricing_detail.asp?mid=155&cat=Shoes&kc=Quark+Shoes&dfk=quark&sf=)

You're talking about the Nurse Mates Quark?

slatchley
07-28-2004, 17:59
It seems like the 4.2 oz quarks are only offered in women's shoes. The mens quarks dont give weights. How does women sizing compare with mens?

frankcornbread
07-28-2004, 19:15
OK, here's a thought.
1.Wal-Mart flipflops or buy from Cosco because WM is not PC: 7.25 oz.
2.Birkenstock insoles(they're designed for barefoot use and PC) w/ kevlar or spectra laminate on soles for durability and Ti machine screws for traction...OK...duct tape to feet or use Triptease spectra cord to make thong attachment. 11 oz. (I'm guessing, here, but I did weigh my birk insoles for a baseline)
3.Hiking footwear removed at camp, air-out feet, relax, put back on loosely w/ no socks to go to privy, do chores etc. 0 (zero) oz.
Just a thought.
More thoughts on creek crossings to follow.
FC

nocones
02-21-2008, 18:47
It seems like the 4.2 oz quarks are only offered in women's shoes. The mens quarks dont give weights. How does women sizing compare with mens?

Every website I found that sells Quarks lists women's sizes, meaning that I had to add "2" to size my shoes correctly (I ordered a W13, I wear a M11).

However I should warn you that when I received my Freedoms (the lightest shoe they offer), they weighed 12.6 oz. This was a far cry from the 3.4 oz. advertised on the website. I called customer service and asked exactly which size weighs 3.4 oz., and the woman I spoke with said that it's based on the sample size of a W6 (an equivalent of a M4). I was anticipating a jump in weight because of the larger size, but this was ridiculous. I was attempting to replace a pair of waldies that weigh 11.7 oz. :mad:

However, if you have small feet, and would like to order Quarks, I would highly recommend shoedawg.com. Excellent customer service, free shipping, no sales tax (outside of TX), good return policy, and a great selection of colors and sizes.

tgrundAT09
03-27-2008, 01:59
Two words: Nike Free

Kerosene
03-27-2008, 10:27
Two words: Nike FreeI was looking at the Nike Free shoes (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NIK1112/) when I purchased my last pair of running shoes and couldn't believe that a pair of shoes could weigh in at less than 7 ounces! It will be interesting to see how much cushioning they provide, but I'd think they'd be more comfortable than slip-on plastic sandals!