PDA

View Full Version : Is Long Distance Hiking Recreation

undergroundnathan
11-14-2006, 13:05
I havent got angry in over a couple years but IM a little pissed off,I went to a metting with department of reabilatation.The lady Ive been working with claimes to be a hiker,but tell me whats a hiker.There trying to help me find part time work,They said they didnt want to help me in less I gave up my hiking trips,my long ones.Why dont you go to the local state parks and go day hiking,I didnt like that at all when she said that.Then she said why would you give up a job for recreation.I said long distance hiking isent recreation,what is it then she said,I said it might be adventure but it sertainly isent recreation.Yesterday I was kind of bumed out by it but the more I think about it the more pissed off i get.Long distance hiking is a lot of hard work and commitment,Some hikers put down day hikers and section hikers,I would think that some section hikers understand real hiking,I hate to say it but some hikers dont know what hiking is all about.I have a bum foot still,tendonitis,the doctor said ,if I go hiking to take ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and it might hurt a little,Im a long distance hiker,and to hell and high water Im going to finnish tha appalachain trail no matter what. Give me your opinions. sincerly underground.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 13:10
The AT is most certainly a recreational hiking trail.

the goat
11-14-2006, 13:13
sounds about right to me:

Main Entry: rec·re·a·tion http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?recrea09.wav=recreation'))
Pronunciation: "re-krE-'A-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English recreacion, from Anglo-French, from Latin recreation-, recreatio restoration to health, from recreare to create anew, restore, refresh, from re- + creare to create
: refreshment of strength and spirits after work; also : a means of refreshment or diversion

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 13:14
I havent got angry in over a couple years but IM a little pissed off,I went to a metting with department of reabilatation.The lady Ive been working with claimes to be a hiker,but tell me whats a hiker.There trying to help me find part time work,They said they didnt want to help me in less I gave up my hiking trips,my long ones.Why dont you go to the local state parks and go day hiking,I didnt like that at all when she said that.Then she said why would you give up a job for recreation.I said long distance hiking isent recreation,what is it then she said,I said it might be adventure but it sertainly isent recreation.Yesterday I was kind of bumed out by it but the more I think about it the more pissed off i get.Long distance hiking is a lot of hard work and commitment,Some hikers put down day hikers and section hikers,I would think that some section hikers understand real hiking,I hate to say it but some hikers dont know what hiking is all about.I have a bum foot still,tendonitis,the doctor said ,if I go hiking to take ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and it might hurt a little,Im a long distance hiker,and to hell and high water Im going to finnish tha appalachain trail no matter what. Give me your opinions. sincerly underground.

I commend your desire to finish the AT but I also think your health and welfare come first over any hiking. Besides how are you going to be able to hike at all with certain ailments if they are not going any better.

As for the doctor not understanding the "why's" of what you do? You have to realize most people don't get and will never understand why you want to do what you do.

Ewker
11-14-2006, 13:21
I don't understand why you can't find part time work. Fast food places, newspaper delivery, pizza delivery (can make decent money doing that), temp jobs, etc.

MOWGLI
11-14-2006, 13:26
Its all about choices Nathan. Sounds like these folks want to assist you, but want a commitment from you in exchange for their help. If they help find you a job, they want some assurances that you don't quit as soon as you feel the need to take a long distance backpacking trip. While I understand your desire to hike, I also understand why a business owner or agency employee would want to hear that you're willing to work with them and make some compromises.

berninbush
11-14-2006, 15:18
I second Mowgli. You have to look at it from the lady's point of view: she's trying to match you up with an employer, and putting a bit of her own reputation at stake at the same time. Employers value employees who stay with the company for an extended period of time. If you tell her up front that you're planning to quit whatever job she helps you find, in order to hike, she can't in good conscience recommend you.

Unless you are independently wealthy or have a "sponsor," long-distance hiking is not sustainable as a lifestyle. It requires as much commitment and hard work as a job, but unfortunately it doesn't pay. That's why she's classing it with "recreation." As Mowgli said, it's about choices. At least for a while, you're probably going to have to choose between being employed and finishing the trail.

hopefulhiker
11-15-2006, 08:03
Hiking the AT was one of the most recreational things I have ever done...

highway
11-15-2006, 08:27
Hiking any 'ole trail is recreational for me.

Gaiter
11-15-2006, 10:23
to be truthful: yes long distance hiking is recreational to us, but to anyone else its seen as an extreme sport

do we get a spot on the x-games?

Dancer
11-15-2006, 10:39
If you can hike you can work. If you are long distance hiking on a disability check then you should be ashamed. If you are not then I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. How do you pay for these hikes?

I would love to hike all the time but I have to make a living and am saving up to live my dream of thru-hiking. What's wrong with day hiking until you are on your feet? If this woman is willing to help you then you should cooperate and when you have your situation straightened out then hike again. Unless you can find a way to make hiking pay (like writing a popular book or providing some needed service) then maybe it's time to take a break. I don't know your situation, only what you have shared.

Amazonwoman

Blue Jay
11-15-2006, 10:46
Never tell anyone who is involved with employment about long distance hiking. I have been told by a friend who works for human resourses that it is seen as worse than drug addiction or violent crime convictions because at least you would have a parole officer to see that you come to work. In addition, you are willing to spend months not working. In the world of human resourses that is outright mental retardation and there is no excuse for it.

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 11:10
reminds me of an old jansport ad:
"i see there is nothing on your resume' for 1990!"

Appalachian Tater
11-15-2006, 11:34
Long distance hiking is recreation but it is also more than recreation. Berninbush's comment "hiking is not a sustainable lifestyle" pretty much sums it up from the viewpoint of someone who is trying to get you a job. My current rule is anytime anyone mentions working or getting a job to me, I delay getting one for another week, so I can empathize, but maybe you should kiss up just a little bit and at least don't say anything.

Nean
11-15-2006, 11:37
First off, I know Underground and realize he has to deal w/ challenges everyday- mostly others attitudes. Shame on those who pass judgment.:(

There are some good points on this thread though.:)

I'd get the job first; then when the time comes, talk to my employer.:-? Let them deal w/ your reality, not your dreams.
You have the desire Nathan. As long as you have that, you WILL be back on the trail!;) Don't give up!!!!

DawnTreader
11-15-2006, 11:47
I have held the same job for 10 years... they allow me 2 months off a year for long distance hiking.. great gig... I've told them about my 6 month request for my thru in 08' and they say my job will be waiting when I get back.. I love them ... They love me... great gig...

DavidNH
11-15-2006, 14:06
I have held the same job for 10 years... they allow me 2 months off a year for long distance hiking.. great gig... I've told them about my 6 month request for my thru in 08' and they say my job will be waiting when I get back.. I love them ... They love me... great gig...

Dawn treater. Sounds like a dream job to me. What is it?

I keep racking my brains trying to find a steady job that gives benefits and health insurance..yet still give me a month or two off for backpacking! I tried teaching and that wasn't for me.

Any other options? short of emigrating to almost any other western country?

David

warren doyle
11-15-2006, 14:30
In my opinion, long distance hiking is a combination of education, recreation, the physical and the spiritual. It is just as important as going to school, playing, and going to church. Long distance hiking is all about substance and not style. Our culture will never financially support it and most people will never understand its depth since they are trapped in the much more superficial world of the 'American Dream' with its emphasis on self-comfort and consumption, along with their desire to have the financial security to afford what these needs require.

Long distance hiking is very countercultural and the percentage of long distance hikers in our country will continue to decrease in the future.

"Dismiss prudence, fear, conformity; remember only what is promised." Thoreau
The only one who can make a promise is you.

"My noblest goal in life is to make my avocation my vocation, as my two eyes see as one." Frost

The education profession is a noble one and is conducive to people who are passionate about long distance hiking. Elementary and high school teachers usually get 2.5 months off in the summer and a week over the Holidays and during the spring. College faculty get four months off in the summer, 2-3 weeks over the Holiday and one week off in both the fall and the spring. With proper planning and determination, a college faculty member could complete the AT every year and a high school/elementary teacher (who lives in the East) can complete the AT once every two years.

Gaiter
11-15-2006, 15:58
I'm guessing teacher.
In NC if you have a 4 year degree in nearly any major, you can start teaching lateral-entry, they will pay for your school to earn your teaching liscense and earn your masters at the same time.

Dawn treater. Sounds like a dream job to me. What is it?

I keep racking my brains trying to find a steady job that gives benefits and health insurance..yet still give me a month or two off for backpacking! I tried teaching and that wasn't for me.

Any other options? short of emigrating to almost any other western country?

David

warren doyle
11-15-2006, 16:58
In NC, this lateral-entry hiring practice may vary in the different regions of the state.
For the past three years, I have taught in an elementary education program at Lees-McRae College (about ten miles from the trail near the Roan Highlands) that prepares students to become teachers in several counties situated in, or adjacent to, the NC Blue Ridge mountains (Yancey; Mitchell; Avery; Watauga; Ashe; Allegheny; Wilkes; Surry; Stokes). Several of these counties do not hire elementary school teachers on the lateral-entry level because they are getting 'ready to teach' graduates from traditional teacher education programs. Our off-campus programs at three community colleges offer a two-year program (for people with AA/BS/BA degrees) that leads to elementary school teacher certification/licensure.
We have about a 95% placement rate for our graduates.

Skidsteer
11-15-2006, 19:43

Workin' the same job since you were fifteen?

Do you work for your Dad?

Does he need any more help? :D

Dancer
11-16-2006, 10:46
[quote=Nean;271696]First off, I know Underground and realize he has to deal w/ challenges everyday- mostly others attitudes. Shame on those who pass judgment.:( quote]

Most of us don't know Underground, only the part of his situation that he chose to share. He asked for opinions based on the information that he chose to share. This is a public forum and if you ask for opinions you will get them. Giving an opinion is not the same as passing judgement.

Amazonwoman

Nean
11-16-2006, 11:36
[quote=Nean;271696]First off, I know Underground and realize he has to deal w/ challenges everyday- mostly others attitudes. Shame on those who pass judgment.:( quote]

Most of us don't know Underground, only the part of his situation that he chose to share. He asked for opinions based on the information that he chose to share. This is a public forum and if you ask for opinions you will get them. Giving an opinion is not the same as passing judgement.

Amazonwoman

I'm not so sure.:-? Webster says: judgment= an opinion or estimate.:eek:

I know a disabled long distance hiker who does get a check and consider him an inspiration; not someone who "should be ashamed" as your opinion/judgment suggest. Besides, I think Nathan was looking for positive feedback. You did make some suggestions and state you were unaware of his situation, that's good. I just disagree w/ how your post started and a bit defensive about my friends.:)

berninbush
11-16-2006, 11:58
In general, I think Amazonwoman does have a point. If you are physically and mentally able to hike the Appalachian Trail, there is probably some sort of work you are capable of doing. But I would not blanket-condemn everyone hiking on a disability check, because there can be a lot of complicating factors: not being able to find a job within your abilities, or situations like Nathan described in another thread where the goofy social services setup will deny him much-needed medication if he works.

I still hold to the "work ethic" of people being self-supporting if they can, and working and saving up to pay for their fun, with "no snivelling" or freeloading on public assistance-- but I know these situations can get very complicated. Sometimes it's a tough call to make... and it's an impossible call if you don't really know the person and their full circumstances.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 12:01
I hike on oil $$. Thank you all for being mass quantities of gasoline and oil products consumers.:)

Dancer
11-16-2006, 12:27
Please don't think of me as insensitive or mean. The initial post seemed that Nathan didn't want a job if it would interfere with his hiking. I had not read the other thread that mentioned him not getting his medication if he worked.

I don't know Nathan's situation but I feel that everyone that can work should be expected to before they get assistance. It sounds like he has resources available to him to help him find work.

Nathan, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you are able to find peace and harmony in your life and that your physical problems might soon heal or become managable.

I share your passion for the outdoors and understand the pull of the wild. Good luck.

Amazonwoman

STEVEM
11-17-2006, 00:10
Nathan, My wifes sister has psychological problems along with learning disabilities. She spent many frustrating years trying to conform to what society considered "normal".

She finally was able to find the right support and medication to help.

She is not a hiker, but loves animals, nature and the outdoors. If truth nature and animals were kinder to her than most of the people she has met.

Anyway, her job coach was able to find her a part time job in a state park. She does simple things, cleaning cabins, painting signs, stacking firewood etc. She doesn't earn a lot of money and still requires public support, but she really loves her job and gets to spend time outdoors.

Give your counselor a chance. If she can help you find a job that makes you happy, you'll enjoy hiking and everything else in you life much more.

bfitz
11-17-2006, 01:50
It's recreation.

bfitz
11-17-2006, 01:52
It's recreation that takes effort.