PDA

View Full Version : Heel shim?!?!

tlbj6142
05-19-2003, 11:19
I just finished a 4-day hike in my NB 806. Seems as though I have a bit of heel slipping going on, as I ended up with some painful blisters on the outside edge of my heel where superfeet meets the wall of the shoe.

Any ideas how I can prevent heel slipping?

Blue Jay
05-19-2003, 11:28
Duct Tape (or electrical tape)

Youngblood
05-19-2003, 12:41
Originally posted by tlbj6142
I just finished a 4-day hike in my NB 806. Seems as though I have a bit of heel slipping going on, as I ended up with some painful blisters on the outside edge of my heel where superfeet meets the wall of the shoe.

Any ideas how I can prevent heel slipping?

I think that some heel slippage is normal and that heel slippage may not be your problem. On my AT thru-hike I had similar problems when I used superfeet inserts in my low-cut hiking boots and hiked high mileage days. I felt the problem was that the edge of the superfeet slightly irrated my heels and if I hiked long enough I would sometimes develope blisters. That problem went away when I switched to NB trail runners and just used the insoles that came with the shoes. One of the things that I like best about the NB trail runners is the cushioning I get with the Abzorb in the fore foot & heel and I would think that the superfeet would negate that. Are you sure you can't just use the NB insoles?

Youngblood

tlbj6142
05-19-2003, 14:20
You are right about the SF being the issue. The point at which the blister formed was right where the SF hits the side of the shoe. Maybe I can trim the SF at that location?

Regarding using the NB insoles...

I need the arch support. Otherwise my arches hurt quite a bit at the end of the day. I made the assumption that I would have the same issue with the NBs, so I bought SF for them before my first trip. Maybe on the next trip I use the NB insoles and carry the SF if my arches get sore.