PDA

View Full Version : Texans

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:31
I am in Dallas after 'finishing' the PCT and will be at REI in Dallas and Houston giving little presentations si any of you guys are around that area.

Houston:

Clinics and Events

Hiking the Appalachian Trail
11/16/2006 7:00 PM

Cost: Free
Registration Required? No.

http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/

==================

Hope some of you are around.

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 18:33
Im 3 hours west in Abilene

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:41
Im 3 hours west in Abilene

Ill talk loud!

Bloodroot
11-14-2006, 18:47
So what's the topic of discussion? You gotta sell me!:)

general
11-14-2006, 18:51
watch out for those Dallas ladies. they're high maintenance man.

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:51
and here is the other one for

Sunday

NOV 19th at 3:00

REI
Plano
2424 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75093
(972) 985-2241

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 18:52
Oh man ...wait till my wife (BadAss Turtle) finds out there's a Texas thread.

I can hear her now ....DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS !!

'Slogger

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:54
So what's the topic of discussion? You gotta sell me!:)

It is going to be on the Appalachian Trail, stories, hikes, gear, good times, bad times, the spiritual adventure that refreshens the soul like a tall cold one on a hot humid Summer PA afternoon...or something to that effect, with small vid clips from Walking With Freedom, and a preview of the new PCT film as well.

Its informative and a marketing tool.
:D

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:55
watch out for those Dallas ladies. they're high maintenance man.

Well they can forget gettin' any King lovin as I cant even maintain my car right now...my bank account is frieghtening.

as is my spellin

Lion King
11-14-2006, 18:55
Oh man ...wait till my wife (BadAss Turtle) finds out there's a Texas thread.

I can hear her now ....DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS !!

'Slogger

Tell her to bring her badass on down...and have her bring you as well!

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 18:59
Tell her to bring her badass on down...and have her bring you as well!
==================

Will do !!

'Slogger

Singe03
11-14-2006, 19:00
Hey LK, we met in Glencliff in 2003 at the Hikers Welcome.

I'll drop by on Thursday, its on my way home from work.

Lion King
11-14-2006, 19:07
Hey LK, we met in Glencliff in 2003 at the Hikers Welcome.

I'll drop by on Thursday, its on my way home from work.

Hells yeah.

Get to see the slogger as well!

Bad Ass Turtle
11-14-2006, 19:16
Just so you guys know, I was born and raised in Texas (grew up in Dallas, moreover) and am definitely NOT high maintenance.

So you can just put that in your pipe and smoke it!
:sun

Bad Ass Turtle

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 19:20
Just so you guys know, I was born and raised in Texas (grew up in Dallas, moreover) and am definitely NOT high maintenance.

So you can just put that in your pipe and smoke it!
:sun

Bad Ass Turtle
===================================

You tell em Babe !!

See you guys ...I told ya she'd have a word or two about the whole Texas thang !!

'Slogger

Singe03
11-14-2006, 19:21
You must be the exception then Bad Ass...

Most Dallas women I know would need a spare pack just to carry makeup and a selection of shoes :-)

Bad Ass Turtle
11-14-2006, 19:24
Well, that's not to say I don't have a lot of shoes (right, 'Slogger?), but that I buy them myself, I would never ask anyone else to suffer because of them, I can go without them when I want/need to, and that makes me . . .

... low maintenance.

And most of the girls I went to high school with were also backpackers and also low-maintenance.

So there goes your Dallas stereotype.

Bad Ass Turtle

P.S. I've not yet even begun to speak about my abilities in the farting and snot-rocket blowing category.

Footslogger
11-14-2006, 19:32
P.S. I've not yet even begun to speak about my abilities in the farting and snot-rocket blowing category.

===============================

Guys ...guys ...please don't get her started !! This ain't your ordinary Texas lady or I wouldn't be her best friend and hiking partner !!

'Slogger

Jim Adams
11-14-2006, 19:52
never met a Texas lady before...now i'm interested!!!!
geek

Nean
11-14-2006, 22:59
How long will you be in Dallas? If you need a place to stay -my friend lives in a great part of town and I'm sure you would enjoy it!

Looking forward to your new video!

Lion King
11-14-2006, 23:52
How long will you be in Dallas? If you need a place to stay -my friend lives in a great part of town and I'm sure you would enjoy it!

Looking forward to your new video!

Hey man! Thanks
Good to hear from you.
Im at a friends off Holland ave, will be here for a little while, my start editing here as well...who knows?
Im ready to hiking again already. Maybe Springer to Damascus again this year...maybe Maine...who knows?

Nean
11-15-2006, 00:41
Hey man! Thanks
Good to hear from you.
Im at a friends off Holland ave, will be here for a little while, my start editing here as well...who knows?
Im ready to hiking again already. Maybe Springer to Damascus again this year...maybe Maine...who knows?

Nice.
So you will be there next week?

eric_plano
11-15-2006, 00:44
That's awesome man. I live down the road from the Preston store so I'll have to come see that PCT preview :)

Lion King
11-15-2006, 01:46
Nice.
So you will be there next week?

Yessir I will

Heater
11-15-2006, 06:18
I am in Dallas after 'finishing' the PCT and will be at REI in Dallas and Houston giving little presentations si any of you guys are around that area.

Houston:

Clinics and Events

Hiking the Appalachian Trail
11/16/2006 7:00 PM

Cost: Free
Registration Required? No.

http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/

==================

Hope some of you are around.

REI in Austin has just opened a new store (2 stores in Austin now).
Lots of hikers here. Surprised you didn't include Austin on your list.

Lion King
11-15-2006, 12:23
REI in Austin has just opened a new store (2 stores in Austin now).
Lots of hikers here. Surprised you didn't include Austin on your list.

I think we are, just not sure of when this week.

Heater
11-15-2006, 13:02
I think we are, just not sure of when this week.

Lemme know. I think they are having "Grand opening!" type events till the beginning of December. At least a sale till then. I still have to go to the new store.

Singe03
11-17-2006, 02:43
I promised Lion King I'd post something nice about his presentation, fortunately its a very easy promise to keep. If you are anywhere near a place he is speaking, definately stop in, its totally worth it whether you are a hiker or not.

Also picked up a copy of his video, which he ought to plug a little more in his presentation (I dont think he plugged it at all really). The people who walked out without a copy missed out. I got hooked while it was showing while he was running late thanks to the wonderful Houston traffic, that REI is in a horrid part of town for traffic at that time of the day and he apparantly got a full dose.

The video kicks ass, it is not a great "how to" video but he didn't intend it to be, I thought it caught the spirit and mental ups and downs of a hike very well and some of the scenes are just stunning. If you are thinking about trying a thru and haven't been out there, its a good investment in mentally preparing for your hike because it is very real, some really beautiful stuff in it, but not all sunshine and flat beautiful trail.

Seeing myself and several of my early friends in the second frame of the slideshow didn't hurt my opinion of it at all.

Grampie
11-17-2006, 10:24
Bad Ass Turtle

Bad Ass, You are some kind of Gal.
Say high to Lion King for me if you go. If you see Texas Jack there, give him a "Hi" for me too.

Footslogger
11-17-2006, 10:27
Bad Ass, You are some kind of Gal.
Say high to Lion King for me if you go. If you see Texas Jack there, give him a "Hi" for me too.
==========================

Hey Grampie ...it's 'Slogger. BadAss is out of town at a conference. She's actually on-line at the moment but not logged onto WB. If she plans to be in Texas it's news to me ...but stranger things have happened.

I'll pass along your message to her ...

'Slogger

rhjanes
11-17-2006, 11:17
sorry I have to miss this! Daughter and I and some others are off to Tyler State Park in East Texas to practice getting lost in the woods...... I mean Orienteering! :D

Nean
11-17-2006, 11:25
sorry I have to miss this! Daughter and I and some others are off to Tyler State Park in East Texas to practice getting lost in the woods...... I mean Orienteering! :D

Love that place. Had my birthday there every year when I was 5 thru 10.
We had our family reunion there a few years back too. We have a place at Holly Lake and drive by the park all the time...always w/ a fond smile.:)

Lion King
11-17-2006, 20:15
I promised Lion King I'd post something nice about his presentation, fortunately its a very easy promise to keep. If you are anywhere near a place he is speaking, definately stop in, its totally worth it whether you are a hiker or not.

Also picked up a copy of his video, which he ought to plug a little more in his presentation (I dont think he plugged it at all really). The people who walked out without a copy missed out. I got hooked while it was showing while he was running late thanks to the wonderful Houston traffic, that REI is in a horrid part of town for traffic at that time of the day and he apparantly got a full dose.

The video kicks ass, it is not a great "how to" video but he didn't intend it to be, I thought it caught the spirit and mental ups and downs of a hike very well and some of the scenes are just stunning. If you are thinking about trying a thru and haven't been out there, its a good investment in mentally preparing for your hike because it is very real, some really beautiful stuff in it, but not all sunshine and flat beautiful trail.

Seeing myself and several of my early friends in the second frame of the slideshow didn't hurt my opinion of it at all.

I appreciate the kind words.
Glad you enjoyed the talk and film, and I really do thank you for stopping by.
Nice crowd there too.
Good to finally put a name to a face or vice versa!

Sunday, Plano...then I may stick around as Austin wants me to do one in the first week of December...we'll see if I can handle the noise of the city that long.

Red Hat
11-22-2006, 20:21
That's what I get for not checking Whiteblaze often enough. I am getting over my hiking addiction and haven't been here for nearly a month. Sorry I missed you in Houston, Lion King!