PDA

View Full Version : Cat urinated all over my new sleeping bag

action potential
11-15-2006, 01:44
First post!

I just got a new north face -20 down bag, and was storing it out of the bag to keep it fluffy, and a cat literally peed all over the thing multiple times. I found out weeks later when the smell made me gag to death, so here I am wondering what to do. How can I clean this thing without ruining the bag more than it already is. Sorry for the weird first post, but winter is coming and thats when we start our season!

Gaiter
11-15-2006, 01:46
i don't know what to tell you about your sleeping bag situation, look at the tags and see what the cleaning instructions are, that would be the first place to start.

But on the bright side WELCOME to whiteblaze!!!

Sly
11-15-2006, 01:48
Oh man that soaps! I'd call north face or one of the other sleeping bag companies. Feather Friends will clean them, not sure about a north face though.

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 01:58
if the manufacturer wont clean it maybe try some woolite and gentle cycle.don't know what to tell you. had to clean cat barf in my bag a few times when other hikers fed Ziggy mac and cheese (he loved the cheese, his stomach hated the butter!) but that didn't soak in like piss would. good luck.

geek

ShakeyLeggs
11-15-2006, 01:59
I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I never did get the smell out of it. I tried everything. I still have the cat and he does at times have bad aim. Will never get to my gear as I keep it locked away from him. I reciently found this product and it seems to work. I got rid of the bag before I found this stuff

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/?gclid=CIDCwoetyIgCFQ-ZHgod_jLIJw

RAT
11-15-2006, 02:20
Sorry but that bag is history :mad:

I would :datzthe cat.

RAT

Just Jeff
11-15-2006, 02:35
Forget the bag - what're you doing about the CAT?!

Gaiter
11-15-2006, 03:01
has your cat been fixed yet?

copythat
11-15-2006, 04:29
i haven't had any cats since i started buying sleeping bags ... but i did have a cat pee in my motorcycle helmet once.

time for a new helmet!

highway
11-15-2006, 04:35
They can be washed. Feathered Friends site and customer service will tell you how. They did my FF bag that smelled bag from excessive use for $35. call. perhaps if you make it humerous eough, they'll do yours, too. Mine came back like it was new and they even repaired a panel with a hole and refilled it with down.

highway
11-15-2006, 04:44
Feathered Friends:
http://www.featheredfriends.com/

FF washing instructions:

NEVER,NEVER DRY CLEAN!

Machine Washing
With down jackets or the Rock Wren liner bag, machine washing at home is possible. Use Down Suds or Thunder Down in any machine. Use no bleach or fabric softeners. Apply the soap directly to stained or heavily soiled areas. Soak for 15 to 60 minutes, then run through a normal cycle on gentle, with cold water. PTFE-laminate items will have to be positioned nylon-side out in order to spin properly. It is important to have the load balanced. When it is finished, if you can squeeze out suds, rinse again. For larger bags, use a font loading machine, preferably a double or triple load commercial machine in a Laundromat. Again, soak if possible. Plan on running through two complete cycles, the second time without soap to thoroughly rinse all suds out of the bag.

Hand Washing
Hand Washing is the safest of all. It would be difficult to damage a bag in hand washing. However, it does require considerable time and effort. Use a large tub or bathtub. Soak for up to an hour, but not longer. You will have to work at getting all the down submerged, since the weave of our nylon is so tight that it traps air. Gently knead the bag from one end to the other, to ensure that all the down is thoroughly exposed to the soap. Rinse several times in cold water, then wring out all the excess water.

Drying
Once the bag is cleaned, it is time to dry it. Wring all excess water out of the bag. Use care when moving as soaked sleeping bag, as the down weighing against the baffles is at its heaviest. It is safe to put a PTFE-laminate bag into a large commercial dryer set on permanent press or air fluff. The danger is too much heat. If you feel the shell is getting hot, either select a lower temperature or air dry the bag.
During washing, the down will collect in clumps. Periodically during the drying process (at the end of each drying cycle or every few hours if air drying) it is important to go through the entire bag and pull apart these down clumps, distributing the down more or less evenly through the bag. This only takes a few seconds, and will ensure that the down dries quickly and evenly.
Feathered Friends sleeping bags are tougher than you might expect. The tricot baffling we use is nearly as strong as the nylon shell; and we use stronger but more time consuming tuck-stitch construction. Problems in washing nearly always come from the shell catching in the machinery or seams raveling out. You should not have the latter problem with a Feathered Friends bag. To guard against snags, monitor the wash closely.
Washing a sleeping bag is a somewhat time-consuming, though not particularly difficult process. It is the most important element in bag longevity. With regular washing, you can expect many years of service from your Feathered Friends sleeping bag.

Customer service Link:
http://www.featheredfriends.com/customer_service/cust_main.aspx

I still would call them and plead to see if they can do it. They are set up for it. It will take you hours of effort, but, you might prefer it.

Good Luck! (but not with the cat:-?

MOWGLI
11-15-2006, 07:16
First post!

I just got a new north face -20 down bag, and was storing it out of the bag to keep it fluffy, and a cat literally peed all over the thing multiple times. I found out weeks later when the smell made me gag to death, so here I am wondering what to do. How can I clean this thing without ruining the bag more than it already is. Sorry for the weird first post, but winter is coming and thats when we start our season!

To the best of my knowledge, North Face will clean and re-stuff your bag for very reasonable rates. Suggest you contact them and discuss.

StarLyte
11-15-2006, 07:32
If your cat is urinating on the bag, the cat is probably urinating on many others things. And when your friends come over, the cat will urinate on their things too, especially if they smell another cat. Aren't they wonderful.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2006, 07:57
To the best of my knowledge, North Face will clean and re-stuff your bag for very reasonable rates. Suggest you contact them and discuss.Edited to add - Mowg posted while I was writing and his suggestion is the best IMO.

Granny dino is in the house with stain and odor removing info from homemakers. What I'm about to say is what is recommended to get the odor out of wool and synthetic carpets.

Does anyone know if you can use Oxy-Clean and vinegar on down? I ask because oxy-clean breaks down the molecular structure of cat urine stain which removes most of both the stain and odor. Vinegar breaks down the molecular structure of the 'glue' that holds the scent-producing uric acid crystals. Since cat urine is used to mark territory, mother nature (not our wonderful Sue :)) has provided cats with a particularly strong bonding agent for the uric acid crystals which is why it is so hard to remove the odor.

Since these stains have set in, you will likely need to allow it to soak overnight each time. Use vinegar in the first wash and oxy-clean in the second wash. Then clean and dry the bag as you normally would. Highway has given you the information on how to do this. Personally, I've always done it a bathtub, as a machine seems too rough for the delicate baffles.

A word of caution about cats - once a cat has marked a spot, it will likely be able to smell it again no matter what you do. Cats re-mark their spots over and over.... the bag needs to be stored where the cat cannot possible get to it or you will likely be doing this again.

fiddlehead
11-15-2006, 07:59
my cat did the same on my van a few years back on the carpet and it really stank. I sprayed a combination of vinegar and water on it and it took the smell away. You may want to try that. It is a real bummer. good luck.

Appalachian Tater
11-15-2006, 08:18
You need to use a cleaner with enzymes to remove the odor completely. Remember, you're going to be sleeping in it.
Consider letting it soak for a while in the enzyme cleaner, say, in the bathtub.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 08:20
First post!

First kill the SOB then get a new bag. Problem solved.

John B
11-15-2006, 09:14
I've washed my Western Mountaineering bag twice before (ultralite, 20-degree down). It is not an easy task, and you should certainly plan on it taking a couple of hours.

The instructions from Feathered Friends provided in the earlier post are right on the mark. You can buy down-safe soap at most gear suppliers.

There are several points that I want to emphasize. First, it will be a pain to get all of the air out of the bag. Be patient and try to be thorough. Letting it soak for an hour or so is the key to getting it clean.

Second, rinsing must be done with patience. The bag will weigh a ton, and IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the stitching breaks from the weight of the water and wet down. Do not try to pick it up before you squeeze out as much of the water as possible. Rinse/repeat several times to get all of the soap out.

Have a sturdy plastic basket nearby to put the wet bag in. Even with as much water as possible squeezed out, it will still be very heavy, and caution should be used to avoid splitting out the stitching. Feathered Friends is not kidding when they say that wet down clumps. It does and it's a pain in the ass to dry. I strongly recommend going to a laundry and using the largest dryer you can find. Use 'low' or 'no' heat. Plan on being there for a couple of hours.

The best way that I know to break up down clumps is by putting a dozen tennis balls in the dryer with the bag. When they toss around in there, hitting against the bag will, over time, break up the clumps. If after an hour or so you still feel clumps, that means the bag is NOT DRY. Keep going.

Retreat bag with water repellant. Nikiwax makes a great product -- spray it on, put in dryer for 15 min., etc.

Good luck. And I'd kill the cat.

the goat
11-15-2006, 09:29
yet another point in the long list of reasons of why not to get a cat.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 09:32
I actually have two cats and love them dearly.:)

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 09:33

BUT!! They pee on my bag, I fire up the grill.:D

the goat
11-15-2006, 09:34
you never struck me as the cat type, l. wolf.

the goat
11-15-2006, 09:35

lmao!!:D:D

TN_Hiker
11-15-2006, 09:39
I would be amazed if you were able to totally remove the odor. Even after trying the above mentioned methods I would bet you would still have a slight odor. I would agree with RAT.....the bag is history. Consider it an expensive lesson learned.

The Solemates
11-15-2006, 11:01
First post!

Not sure about the bag, but I would bury the cat up to its head and run over it with a lawn mower if it did that to my sleeping bag.

D'Artagnan
11-15-2006, 11:11
First kill the SOB then get a new bag. Problem solved.

Dang, read my mind!

It wasn't the North Face "Cat's Meow" was it? Sorry, had to ask. :rolleyes:

Nean
11-15-2006, 11:14

My first thought was :eek:
....does he mean w/BBQ sauce and a baked potato?:D

Some cats, like some dogs, (and some people:p ) are more lovable than others.

Gray Blazer
11-15-2006, 11:28
My first thought was :eek:
....does he mean w/BBQ sauce and a baked potato?:D

Some cats, like some dogs, (and some people:p ) are more lovable than others.I love my pussy gato. If we all lived in North Korea we wouldn't have this problem.:D

vipahman
11-15-2006, 11:40
First post!

That sucks. My 4-year old kid pee'd in my new WM Highlite because he was afraid of going out in the dark. Of course, I found it out in the morning and it cleaned right out with water and soap. I hand-washed the bag flat over a camping table and dried it flat too. That prevented the down from clumping as could happen in a washer/dryer. DONT MACHINE WASH.

Of course it's harder in your case because of the time factor. I recommend soaking it in your tub for about 1 hour. Drain and repeat at least 5 times. The bag should be flat all the time. Don't use the shower to wash/rinse. Use a bucket/glass instead and be gentle while pouring. The idea is to prevent the down from clumping.

Then repeat above steps with soap water until your sense of smell is satisfied. Hand soap will do just fine.

Also if only a portion of the bag is affected, try to work on that portion only. It will reduce your work by a huge amount.

Don't worry, the piss, salts and stench will wash off. And next time hang it like they do at the store.

And yes, :welcome

vipahman
11-15-2006, 11:45
I recommend soaking it in your tub for about 1 hour.
Alternatively, an outdoor table and garden hose at low power should also work.

I would avoid the kneading mentioned in the FF method. The rest of the stuff sounds sensible.

Also a cat and a down bag can never be good friends. I would've thought of that one because it would probably rip my bag!

bulldog49
11-15-2006, 11:49
First post!

I found out weeks later when the smell made me gag to death, so here I am wondering what to do.

First, kill the cat! :banana

Nean
11-15-2006, 11:58
I love my pussy gato. :D

I'm not real sure what you are talking about GB, but it sounds delicious.:-? :o

Gray Blazer
11-15-2006, 12:01
I'm not real sure what you are talking about GB, but it sounds delicious.:-? :oYou've never heard of Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in all Mexico?

neo
11-15-2006, 12:04
First post!

:D that sucks:cool: neo

Nean
11-15-2006, 12:20
You've never heard of Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in all Mexico?

Me and Speedy go way back. :eek: I'm still clueless to the connection though.:o

Gray Blazer
11-15-2006, 12:38
Me and Speedy go way back. :eek: I'm still clueless to the connection though.:oHe always addressed the cat as Meester (or senor) Pussy Gato.

leeki pole
11-15-2006, 12:44
Cats are great. As long as they're good mousers and live outside. :cool:

I've got two.

Ender
11-15-2006, 12:46
Buy some OdoBan, or similar product, and let the bag soak in it for a while, wash and rinse. Repeat if necessary. OdoBan breaks down biological stuff somehow, like urine. I don't know exactly how it works, but I was able to rescue a fleece and a backpack using the stuff.

http://www.odoban.com/

I think WalMart carries the stuff, though I can't be sure, since NYC doesn't have a WalMart, so I rarely shop there.

Best of luck!

Cuffs
11-15-2006, 13:00
I have a friend who runs a cat rescue and she swears by Odornix. http://www.denniscastro.tv/websites/odornix/pets/index.html

Introducing new cats to the "family" always makes some get mad and "spray" or urinate in odd places on purpose. I know when I visit, I cant smell them!

Panzer1
11-15-2006, 13:17

Yea, I bet they are stuffed and on the mantle right now.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 13:20
Yea, I bet they are stuffed and on the mantle right now.

Panzer

Actually my girl cat, Gwenny, is alive and well in my lap as I type.:)

action potential
11-15-2006, 13:22
Ladies and gents thanks for the info, I am very impressed at how much information was posted in just a few hours. This site rocks, and yes I am firing up the grill as we speak. Despite some of the disparaging posts about how the bag is toast, I will do the best I can to get the smell out and just deal with it. The cat was my roomate's.

Here is why I am not that worried about the bag itself: I found out the cat used my storage room as a litter box, releiving himself on AND in my camping backpack, all my cooking ware, down bag, snowboard jacket, gloves, boots, and pants. And to top it off, it snuck in my room once and did the same thing to my new shag carpet, and my new down comforter/suede duvet cover. And to TOP that off, when I recently moved out of the house, I had to stuff everything into my car for 2 weeks, and now the car interior is so nasty. Time for some new gear.

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 13:23
...marinating?

Cuffs
11-15-2006, 13:41
While I love (and own 4 cats) I sure hope the cat owner in your situation pitches in and helps with some of the expense!!! Thankfully, I can say I have never had those kinds of problems out of my fur-kids.

Blissful
11-15-2006, 14:09
Ladies and gents thanks for the info, I am very impressed at how much information was posted in just a few hours. This site rocks, and yes I am firing up the grill as we speak. Despite some of the disparaging posts about how the bag is toast, I will do the best I can to get the smell out and just deal with it. The cat was my roomate's.

Here is why I am not that worried about the bag itself: I found out the cat used my storage room as a litter box, releiving himself on AND in my camping backpack, all my cooking ware, down bag, snowboard jacket, gloves, boots, and pants. And to top it off, it snuck in my room once and did the same thing to my new shag carpet, and my new down comforter/suede duvet cover. And to TOP that off, when I recently moved out of the house, I had to stuff everything into my car for 2 weeks, and now the car interior is so nasty. Time for some new gear.

Welcome to White blaze - fellow Virginian here. :welcome

Wow that is baad about the gear. Makes me wonder if the cat is worth it. But I know once you become attached, you find ways to deal with it. We are just dog lovers here, but our beagle had problems peeing - thankfully just on the floor, etc. The vet told us to get rid of her. We love her and have worked with her on the problem. Hopefully you can as well.

STEVEM
11-15-2006, 14:26
Just a thought. If you use the bag as it is, maybe it will keep the mice away. Wait, let me call a patent attorney. This could be my "Big Idea", step aside Bill Gates.

c.coyle
11-15-2006, 14:29
Keep the bag. You'll always have plenty of room in shelters.

Webs
11-15-2006, 14:33
my cat peed on my pack!!!!!!!!!!!! it was terrible; right after a 3-week section hike, as if it didn't smell bad enough! i scrubbed it w/soap and water, and spray it periodically w/febreeze and zeroodor stuff. still smells.... try putting dryer sheets inside your bag...if nothing else, it may help with the smell, even if not the cleanliness. :cool:

Monkeyboy
11-15-2006, 15:19
First, soak the bag in a solution of 50% hot water and 50% white vinegar, preferably in the bathtub. This breaks down the enzyme in the urine, which is what causes the stain/smell to come back.

Second, wash it in baking soda on the gentle cycle, or use a detergent that is based on baking soda, like Arm and Hammer detergent.

Third, like Webs said, treat the area with Febreeze.....even if the smell is gone, it will make it smell like new.....Febreeze is good stuff.

berninbush
11-15-2006, 15:42
[quote=Monkeyboy;271878]First, soak the bag in a solution of 50% hot water and 50% white vinegar, preferably in the bathtub. This breaks down the enzyme in the urine, which is what causes the stain/smell to come back.

Second, wash it in baking soda on the gentle cycle, or use a detergent that is based on baking soda, like Arm and Hammer detergent.
[quote]

;) Or you can have a lot of fun using the vinegar and baking soda at the same time. Volcano, anyone?

My sister's ADHD cockapoo did her thing on an ancient backpack of mine (external frame, cerca 1970). I tossed the fabric part in the washing machine with regular detergent and that seemed to do a pretty good job on the smell.

Frolicking Dinosaurs, does the vinegar- then- OxyClean thing work for dogs as well as cats?

Monkeyboy
11-15-2006, 16:15
Yes, it does, but cat pee has more enzymes in it, that is why the vinegar is needed....to break down the composition of the urine.

It does the same on carpet....you could actually clean it and it smells fine, but the stain and smell will actually come back after awhile. The vinegar breaks the compound down and allows it to be washed away.

And actually, the vinegar and baking soda in the bathtub might not be a bad idea......kinda like Scrubbing Bubbles........and away go troubles down the drain.......

Hopefully the cat is not named "Troubles"!

Hana_Hanger
11-15-2006, 16:24
I would try all of the above.
I do know from personal experience the vinegar works...along with letting your gear have plenty of airing time with sunny days so in about 3 to 6 months there should be no trace of any odor left!

The cat gave you an excuse to get ALL new gear...ooh fun!

Gaiter
11-15-2006, 16:27

It really sounds like this cat has not had any corrective surgery, I would strongly advise your ex-rm mate to get him neutered as soon as possible. There is nothing ruder than a rm mate who doesn't take care of their animals. Fixing the cat will help control animal population and stop majority if not all spraying habits.

Monkeyboy
11-15-2006, 16:39
....usually fixing it after it begins spraying doesn't stop it from spraying. I've heard neutering only stops him if you do it before they spray for the first time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-15-2006, 17:56
Frolicking Dinosaurs, does the vinegar- then- OxyClean thing work for dogs as well as cats?This should work for all sorts of urine. Use a strong vinegar solution for animals that mark their territory with urine as the 'glue' mother nature provides for their urine is stronger and the vinegar is what breaks up the molecular structure of the 'glue'

dloome
11-15-2006, 20:04
I'd gently rinse the bag out with luke warm water in a large bathtub or sink a few times, then follow normal down cleaning procedure. Western Mountaineering has good instructions on thier website. I'm just wondering how long it takes to properly dry a -20 down bag. Have some tea and a couple good books nearby.

RAT
11-15-2006, 20:08
I would try any or all of the methods mentioned in this thread as you really have nothing to lose. PLease let us know what works best as I am sure many would be interested. I would think FF or NF would charge a bit to wash and replace the down, probly not worth it, could put that towards a new bag. Good luck with it.

They can be washed. Feathered Friends site and customer service will tell you how. They did my FF bag that smelled bag from excessive use for $35. call. perhaps if you make it humerous eough, they'll do yours, too. Mine came back like it was new and they even repaired a panel with a hole and refilled it with down.

But that wasnt cat piss. That is some strong stuff and nearly impossible to get rid of and it isnt like skunk smell which a slight bit of it is tolerable, just the law thinks ya holdin` some dank if they smell it HAIRNT !

RAT

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2006, 20:13
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Febreze, which I think is made by the "Tide" people, is a pretty effective de-stinker. I had tremendous success with it several years ago after discovering that some twisted sick bastard had deposited a bloated dead groundhog in my pack, which I somehow failed to discover for almost a day.

However, before using it on down, I think what other folks have suggested is very wise: Call the manufacturer of the bag and see what they advise.

And if all else fails, and nothing seems to work, then simply give the bag to a Southbounder.

I assure you they'll never know. :D

Nean
11-15-2006, 20:27
It was about 4 months into my first hike when I woke up w/ my pack covering my head and a strong stench that watered my eyes:eek: . I was sure a deer had come by in the cover of darkness and peed on my pack.:mad:
As I slowly fumbled from fumigation, I began to realize, I'd been poisioned by my own stink ask.:cool:

Now I wash my pack out every month or so.;)

RAT
11-15-2006, 20:31
I had tremendous success with it several years ago after discovering that some twisted sick bastard had deposited a bloated dead groundhog in my pack, which I somehow failed to discover for almost a day.

I was there for that one, I distinctly remember you going to your tent the night before with that female groundhog whispering sweet nothings in its ear ! BTW, whatever happened to BD ? Has anyone heard from him ?

HAIRNT !

RAT

Nean
11-15-2006, 20:35
First he littered the trail,:mad: and now you say Katz peed on your bag.:eek: That dude is a bad seed.:p

boarstone
11-15-2006, 22:05
First post!

If after following the washing advice here doesn't get most/all of the smell out of the bag, spray bag with a product called odor-eater that can be found at Sam's club, in the area of the spray. If that doesn't work...Neuter/get rid of/delete.. the cat...get a new bag and learn a lesson...dump the down and go synthetic...

Skidsteer
11-15-2006, 23:31
If after following the washing advice here doesn't get most/all of the smell out of the bag, spray bag with a product called odor-eater that can be found at Sam's club, in the area of the spray. If that doesn't work...Neuter/get rid of/delete.. the cat...get a new bag and learn a lesson...dump the down and go synthetic...

Do you think the smell would be easier to get rid of in a synthetic bag?

MedicineMan
11-16-2006, 06:40
and often cant tell a bobcat from a mountain lion, this is known among wildlife biologists, so maybe not a big stretch to guess that bears associate house cat piss with bigger cat piss, so you'll be sleeping without much concern over a nightime visit by ursus...the question is will the cat piss drown out the smell of the snickers bar?

Fiddleback
11-16-2006, 10:15
and often cant tell a bobcat from a mountain lion, this is known among wildlife biologists, so maybe not a big stretch to guess that bears associate house cat piss with bigger cat piss, so you'll be sleeping without much concern over a nightime visit by ursus...the question is will the cat piss drown out the smell of the snickers bar?

I used the same logic on my landscaping. 'Figured old, used cat litter might convince the deer that the cougar was hanging around again. I didn't see much difference in my plants...but I did notice my hands smelled.:eek:

"Out!", Cat Spray & Urine Stain & Odor Remover, is effective at reducing/eliminating cat pee smell. I buy it at WalMart (pet section).

And, no, I did't try it on my hands.:rolleyes:

FB

Jan LiteShoe
11-16-2006, 10:39
I used the same logic on my landscaping. 'Figured old, used cat litter might convince the deer that the cougar was hanging around again. I didn't see much difference in my plants...but I did notice my hands smelled.:eek: :rolleyes:
FB

Interesting! I live on the edge of a large nature preserve, and often wondered why the HUGE deer population didn't work my garden over more - I hardy see any damage, though they come right up to the edge of the property. I saw an 8-point buck when I drove in last night.

I do bury my cat littler at the edge of the woods. Maybe that's whay I've escaped unscathed to date, while my more citified near neighbors complain about front-lawn raids. :)

Cat pee is gagging, and you have my sympathies.

gypsy
11-16-2006, 12:39
There is this stuff called Nature's Miracle that you can buy at any pet store that works really well too. I've seen it take **** right out of carpet:D

Fiddleback
11-16-2006, 13:29
...I do bury my cat littler at the edge of the woods. Maybe that's whay I've escaped unscathed to date, while my more citified near neighbors complain about front-lawn raids. :)

Cat pee is gagging, and you have my sympathies.

I watched my folks place (an incorporated community surrounded by San Antonio) be continually raided by the resident deer herd. Here in a more rural area we have few problems other than bark scarring from antler rubs and pulled up iris bulbs. I've concluded from these experiences that white tail have a plant choice hierarchy. They have their area favorites and bump down the list as the preference plants run out. Consequently, like those trapped deer in my parents' community, they start hitting landscaping. At a certain population density and hunger/food availability level, there's no such thing as a deer-proof plant despite the garden catalogs' claims.

We don't have much of a problem here because we're surrounded by acceptable-to-good habitat. But winter, summer drought, etc., brings them in closer to the house and they check out the new landscape additions. Of course, spreading clover seed to cover the construction scars when we first moved in might have had something to do with the deer and my current relationship. That and my propensity for planting their favorite aspen.:-?

FB

MOWGLI
11-20-2006, 09:10
For those of you who suggested harming the offending cat, my little buddy Trouble has a message for you.

dperry
11-20-2006, 13:32

Well, AP, if it is any comfort (and it's probably not), your sacrifice will save countless others who are thinking about getting a cat in the future.

Blissful
11-20-2006, 15:54
Well, AP, if it is any comfort (and it's probably not), your sacrifice will save countless others who are thinking about getting a cat in the future.

Dog's rule! They even go canoeing.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/0/8/ladyincanoe.jpg

atraildreamer
11-20-2006, 19:34
Feathered Friends:
http://www.featheredfriends.com/

FF washing instructions:

NEVER,NEVER DRY CLEAN!

Machine Washing
... Use Down Suds or Thunder Down in any machine. Use no bleach or fabric softeners. Apply the soap directly to stained or heavily soiled areas. Soak for 15 to 60 minutes, then run through a normal cycle on gentle, with cold water. PTFE-laminate items will have to be positioned nylon-side out in order to spin properly. It is important to have the load balanced. When it is finished, if you can squeeze out suds, rinse again. ...

OH, this is to clean the bag, not the cat, right...NEVER MIND! :banana

greentick
11-20-2006, 21:17

they are the other white meat...:D

Flash Hand
11-22-2006, 16:34
You need to use a cleaner with enzymes to remove the odor completely. Remember, you're going to be sleeping in it.
Consider letting it soak for a while in the enzyme cleaner, say, in the bathtub.
I wonder what parts to what parts did you use oxyclean and vinegar? My girlfriend would love to know.

Monkeyboy
11-22-2006, 20:51
If you use vinegar, use it 50/50 vinegar to warm water.....then wash it with Oxyclean or baking soda based detergent.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-22-2006, 21:36
Burn the bag and shoot the cat. The smell won't come out regardless of what you do. Hillbilly:eek:

copythat
11-22-2006, 22:06
Dogs rule! They even go canoeing.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/0/8/ladyincanoe.jpg

a friend of mine used to have a cat that would climb into his canoe with him on a very calm day and ride around the pond until they got to within about 5 feet of the bank, at which point he'd jump out and swim to shore.

saw it myself.

(and no, it died of old age, not drowning.)

Jim Adams
11-23-2006, 13:17
my cat Ziggy loved canoeing and would jump into the car and wait to leave as soon as the canoe was loaded onto the roof racks. he canoed nearly 1800 miles of the Ohio / Mississippi rivers with me and went with me whitewater paddling as much as he could. he's canoed class IV white water uncountable times. he would never jump out of the boat onto land but he did not hesitate to jump into the water if he saw something that he wanted.

geek

atraildreamer
11-23-2006, 15:02
OH, this is to clean the bag, not the cat, right...NEVER MIND! :banana

Here's how to do it!

But as the last picture shows...you'll only be able to do it once! :banana

Vi+
11-23-2006, 20:52
Action potential,

I have nothing to add; you’ve already received excellent and complete advice.

Congratulations! The title of this thread may be the best I’ve read.

Your very first post. Boy, I’m looking forward to subsequent threads you start.

Thanks.

atraildreamer
11-26-2006, 06:22
How to prevent the cat from messing on the bag again... :eek:

Monkeyboy
11-30-2006, 21:42
Just wonderin' if the vinegar/baking soda worked for Action Potential or if he is still dealing with the stinky pew pew......

Franco
12-01-2006, 06:12
Sorry but I am too lazy to read all of the replies. Did anyone point out to Robert that his cat was just expressing his dislike towards North Face gear ?
Franco

HikeLite
12-01-2006, 17:51
Donate it to a chinese restuarant..not the sleeping bag.

orangebug
12-02-2006, 11:49
Replace the bag with SteepandCheap's Sierra Design's zero degree 800 down bag for only $185

RSWillis
12-02-2006, 12:35
I had a cat spray on my hammock when I hung it outside to dry. Also, I've heard you can throw a tennis ball in the dryer with your down bag to help break up clumps.

stuco
12-08-2006, 23:02
i had my cat pee on my new jacket in elementary school. I think i had to throw it away. I didn't realize that it had been peed on til other kids started making fun of me. going oooohhhh! traumatic experience. I don't like cats