PDA

View Full Version : Joys of weekend warriorhood

Pokey2006
11-15-2006, 02:02
So I am officially a "weekend warrior," having just returned from a two-day hike in Vermont, where I left off my attempted thru-hike two months ago. And I have to say that it was AWESOME being a weekend warrior! Some reasons why:

1) A lighter pack, because, since you're only out for two days, you don't have to carry all the necessitites for a longer trip, such as razor blade, hair trimmer, deoderant, battery charger, cell phone charger, camp soap, etc. etc. etc.

2) Ability to do side trails you'd never do if hiking straight through -- this is especially true if you are doing a "loop" hike. And because you're not worrying so much about getting miles done, you can better enjoy the hike in and out.

3) Can splurge on Mountain House dinners, since you're only buying food for a couple of days, so you might as well go all out and have something special (and light weight).

4) A nice hot shower, your own bed, and a good meal, after only TWO DAYS on the trail! No more stinky, smelly 5 days without a shower and food deprivation.

5) No need to care if your boots get wet. It won't be long before you're changing into the dry socks and sneakers you have waiting in the car, so go ahead and slosh right through that puddle! Go ahead and walk right through the mud! Yee haw!

6) Ability to pick and choose when to hike to avoid bad weather and crowds.

Of course, it helps if you live within easy driving distance of the trail, and if you have Sundays and Mondays off work (with a Tuesday off on a holiday weekend) instead of Saturdays and Sundays...

So here's to all the other weekend warriors out there: Rock on!

Two Speed
11-15-2006, 02:07
. . . Can splurge on Mountain House dinners, since you're only buying food for a couple of days, so you might as well go all out and have something special (and light weight).Sure, if you like rehydrated cardboard for dinner, but each to their own I guess.

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 02:20
never thru hiked with a razor, deoderant, hair trimmer, battery charger, cell phone charger, cell phone etc. i must have been a weekend warrior for six months! then again, all of those together were probably lighter than my cat. damn, foiled again.

Pokey2006
11-15-2006, 02:24
I couldn't live without those things! They were necessities! I suppose I could have bounced them, but, like you said, they weren't really that heavy.

It was still nice to leave them at home!

freefall
11-15-2006, 03:49
I have to be careful doing the weekend warrior thing. Everytime I step foot on a long distance trail, it's hard not to keep going.

Pokey2006
11-15-2006, 04:21
Leave lots of nice stuff in your car -- great snacks, dry sneakers, a warm sweater, a cool CD -- and it's not so hard to want to hike right back to it. After a great two days on the trail, I was more excited about getting back to my car then I ever was about getting to Katahdin!

McPick
11-18-2006, 21:00
4) "...No more stinky, smelly 5 days without a shower and food deprivation."

I honestly can't say as I recall you EVER being stinky or smelly, even after 5 days! (Especially knowing you had all those extras.) Say... May I please use some of your etc, etc, etc?

See ya!