PDA

View Full Version : Article on AT Trail Master

Moose2001
11-15-2006, 08:55
There's an article today in the Trail News forum about Model T completing his fourth AT hike. Way to go Model T! Hope I'm still hiking at that age.

There was one comment that caught my eye though. The article states that only 6 hikers have done the AT 4 or more times. Anyone know where that stat came from, or if it's true? I would have thought the number was higher than 6.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 08:57
I want to be a Trail Master.

MOWGLI
11-15-2006, 09:03
The article states that only 6 hikers have done the AT 4 or more times. Anyone know where that stat came from, or if it's true? I would have thought the number was higher than 6.

I don't think anyone can definitively state who has thru-hiked more than 4, 5 or 6 times. The ATC can list those that have reported completing the trail to them, but as we all know, not everybody tells the ATC that they have hiked the trail.

Having said that, Model T is a really nice guy, and I enjoyed the article.

Sly
11-15-2006, 09:35
Why anyone would walk to thru-hike the AT 4 times or more without trying another of the long trails is beyond me. There are lots better...

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 09:38
Yeah, Jack!:D (And Lone Wolf)

Nean
11-15-2006, 11:02
Why anyone would walk to thru-hike the AT 4 times or more without trying another of the long trails is beyond me. There are lots better...

I always like to think .... lots different......

I think that folks hike the same trail because:
1) they had fun the first time
2) each time the trail becomes a little easier and more familiar
3) you can re-visit friends and places you really enjoyed
4) you can discover new friends and places you didn't explore before
5) you could go a different direction
6) or at a different time of the year
7) you get recognized
8) every year is different

Having said that, part of what I was looking for was to challenge myself. Thru hiking the same trail year after year does not provide that to me.
At some point, challenge becomes less important than the 8 reasons above and you can find yourself on a fimiliar trail having the time of your life.:)

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 11:21
very nice Nean! Makes me want to go right now.
geek

Rain Man
11-15-2006, 11:24
Yippeeeeee... I get to hear Model-T talk (again!) in two weeks at the Tennessee Trails Association Nashville Chapter monthly meeting!!! It's at 7:00 on Tuesday evening, the 28th, for anyone in the area. What a nice guy he is. And a good author, to boot. If he writes another book, I'll be buying it.

www.tennesseetrails.org (http://www.tennesseetrails.org) has contact info for the Chapter.

Rain:sunMan

Sly
11-15-2006, 11:58
I always like to think .... lots different......

Yeah, lots different and more better! ;) More scenic, more wildlife, more diverse, and more challenging. They are less in one respect, less people! :D

Nean
11-15-2006, 12:10
Yeah, lots different and more better! ;) More scenic, more wildlife, more diverse, and more challenging. They are less in one respect, less people! :D

Well, for me at least, different is fact; better is opinion.
I've used this analogy many times before: It's like asking a parent which child they love more. I'd hate my parents to say my brother because he has more money, more kids, etc.

I love each trail for what it is. The only comparison I make is it's all walkin.:D

Sly
11-15-2006, 12:31
Yeah, I know what you mean, I was only half kidding... but you have to admit the western trails do offer more of what I listed.

Ender
11-15-2006, 12:38
The article states that only 6 hikers have done the AT 4 or more times.

I find this impossible to believe. Hell, there's at least 4 people on this site alone who have hiked the trail more than 4 times. And that's just Whiteblaze. Not to mention all the people who hike trail trail and don't report it, or have internet access, etc etc etc... I imagine the number is at least double that, if not more.

Heck of an accomplishment though. Hiking rocks.

Nean
11-15-2006, 12:45
Yeah, I know what you mean, I was only half kidding... but you have to admit the western trails do offer more of what I listed.

Well.... maybe.... I could admit it.:-? I will say this though, I know what you mean Sly.;) Sorry to give yaz such a hard time.:D I'm a firm believer that the beauty , etc. is in the eyes of the beholder.:)

Sly
11-15-2006, 12:48
Well.... I'm a firm believer that the beauty , etc. is in the eyes of the beholder.:)

Along those lines, the AT has more wimmin' :p

Nean
11-15-2006, 12:53
I find this impossible to believe. Hell, there's at least 4 people on this site alone who have hiked the trail more than 4 times. And that's just Whiteblaze. Not to mention all the people who hike trail trail and don't report it, or have internet access, etc etc etc... I imagine the number is at least double that, if not more.

Heck of an accomplishment though. Hiking rocks.

It might be fun to figure out. Let's see....... There is:
1) Jack
2)Warren*
3)Model T
4)Ward
5)Wingfoot

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 12:55
6) Me, Me, Me!:D

Nean
11-15-2006, 12:58
6) Me, Me, Me!:D

Sorry LW, I thought so, just wasn't sure.:o

Sly
11-15-2006, 12:59
Hey Nean what's the asterick next to Warren's name for? Has Habitual Hiker completed the trail 4 times? I know he has lots of miles. And Sieko? And LW!

Rambunny has 3 hikes which I think ties for wimmin' I think Mrs Gorp has 3 complete hikes too...

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 13:00
Sorry LW, I thought so, just wasn't sure.:o

I ain't got no patches or certificates to prove it though.:cool:

Nean
11-15-2006, 13:14
Hey Nean what's the asterick next to Warren's name for? Has Habitual Hiker completed the trail 4 times? I know he has lots of miles. And Sieko? And LW!

Rambunny has 3 hikes which I think ties for wimmin' I think Mrs Gorp has 3 complete hikes too...
Darn, what is the Habitual Hikers' name? He was kinda the Jack of the 80s. Wait, your talkin Lenard Atkins. I'm thinkin Hikeaholic.
Sieko? I'd count him but still wonder the reason why some don't.
I know Mrs Gorp has 2.
The * is to let folks know Warren is ......:-? ........... special!:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 13:17
Hikaholic( Dennis ?). I hiked with him. Michael P. Jones, Tom Horn. What about Heald?

Sly
11-15-2006, 13:19
Mrs Gorp hiked with "The Circle" in '77 to VT, hiked this year and I'm pretty sure hiked a few years ago. Edit update, yup Mrs Gorp has hiked the trail 3 times plus some.

Jim Adams
11-15-2006, 13:21
*.......most Accomplished Day Hiker?

Sly
11-15-2006, 13:22
Does hiking 20,000- 30.000 miles without competing the ENTIRE trail count for anything? :-?

Nean
11-15-2006, 13:27
Hikaholic( Dennis ?). I hiked with him. Michael P. Jones, Tom Horn. What about Heald?

Dennis is correct.

Tom Horn has many a mile but he tends to do the southern thang.
How could I forget my friends Heald and Annie!:datz

Mr. Jones was before my time -though I've heard his name before.

TinAbbey
11-15-2006, 15:53
are there more people to add to the list? there's got to be. I wouldn't mind seeing more listed. I saw a guy a couple times on my 2006 thru named pirate, seemed like he's done it more than 4.

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 16:00
I think Pirate has 1 thru-hike and a butt load of other miles. Circuit Rider has 5 I think.

Nean
11-15-2006, 16:01
are there more people to add to the list? there's got to be. I wouldn't mind seeing more listed. I saw a guy a couple times on my 2006 thru named pirate, seemed like he's done it more than 4.

Like Tom Horn, Pirate has been around a long time and has many a mile, but not 4 completions as far as I know.;)

Maybe 6 isn't so far off the mark after all.:-?

Nean
11-15-2006, 16:13
Here are the ones we are reasonably sure about:
1)Ward
2)Jack
3)Wingfoot
4)Lone Wolf
5)Warren*
6) Heald (and Annie)
7)Circut Rider
8)Model T

And some we arn't sure about yet
9)Hikaholic
10)Habitual Hiker
11) Mr. Jones
12)Seiko

TinAbbey
11-15-2006, 17:23
how bout 'wolf'? as in 'wolf 23000'

Sly
11-15-2006, 17:29
You can put me down for one of the ones you're not sure about! ;)

Jan LiteShoe
11-15-2006, 17:50
1)Ward
2)Jack
3)Wingfoot
4)Lone Wolf
5)Warren*
6) Heald (and Annie)
7)Circut Rider
8)Model T

9)Hikaholic
10)Habitual Hiker
11) Mr. Jones
12)Seiko

Stumpknocker is a four-timer, starting in '02.
When he stops falling down and gets around to actually hiking, he'll finish out # 5 this year (in Waynesboro, I think, but I may be wrrong on the finish spot). :)

MOWGLI
11-15-2006, 17:54
Nean, why does Warren have an asterisk next to his name?

Jan LiteShoe
11-15-2006, 17:57
Not sure about Seiko?
Bob Peoples said he'd hiked the AT 13 times, all very low key,sometimes returning home to garden.
Not so?

Lone Wolf
11-15-2006, 19:03
Not sure about Seiko?
Bob Peoples said he'd hiked the AT 13 times, all very low key,sometimes returning home to garden.
Not so?

I highly doubt 13. He's just been around the trail many years doing lots of sections.

Jack Tarlin
11-15-2006, 19:06
Nean's list is pretty good, but as Lone Wolf has pointed out before, there are all sorts of other folks out there who've hiked extensively, who've never reported all (or perhaps ANY) of their hikes, have kept a low personal profile, not become public or outspoken people in the Trail community, don't participate in the Internet or attend hiker events, don't belong to hiker organizations, etc.

And in many cases, while some of these folks might not have set out to hike the Trail in its entirety each time they hiked, their TOTAL accumulated mileage in many cases is far greater than that achieved after four thru-hikes. (Hell, Wolf, has probably trod 5,000 Trail miles in Damascus alone!) Fact is, many serious hikers not only never brag or speak about their accumulated mileage; in many cases, they don't even know what it is.

I'm willing to bet that Nean's list is missing quite a few people, folks that we've never heard of and in all likelihood, never will.

But these folks know who they are.

The Desperado
11-15-2006, 19:17
Nean's list is pretty good, but as Lone Wolf has pointed out before, there are all sorts of other folks out there who've hiked extensively, who've never reported all (or perhaps ANY) of their hikes, have kept a low personal profile, not become public or outspoken people in the Trail community, don't participate in the Internet or attend hiker events, don't belong to hiker organizations, etc.

And in many cases, while some of these folks might not have set out to hike the Trail in its entirety each time they hiked, their TOTAL accumulated mileage in many cases is far greater than that achieved after four thru-hikes. (Hell, Wolf, has probably trod 5,000 Trail miles in Damascus alone!) Fact is, many serious hikers not only never brag or speak about their accumulated mileage; in many cases, they don't even know what it is.

I'm willing to bet that Nean's list is missing quite a few people, folks that we've never heard of and in all likelihood, never will.

But these folks know who they are.
Jack is absolutely correct. I know of at least 4 others that will never be on any list, at this point older men now with the exception of one.:)

Nean
11-15-2006, 19:59
Don't want to put any list elitist on our list.:D

Sorry, Stumpmaster, I got you down at 9)

and Sherlock it seems would have 4 as well; he's penciled in at 10)

I know there is some debate here about Seiko, but can it be agreed that he has done the trail at least 4 times? That would be 11.

I know there is more too. Not trying to hand out any awards, but it is interesting, at least to me.:o

Oh yeah, Dan Smith, Karen Bergers' husband. I seem to recall he did it several times.:)

Nean
11-15-2006, 20:02
The * is to let folks know Warren is ......:-? ........... special!:rolleyes:

You may have missed this.;)

Nightwalker
11-15-2006, 20:18
It might be fun to figure out. Let's see....... There is:
1) Jack
2)Warren*
3)Model T
4)Ward
5)Wingfoot

What about Heald?

Nightwalker
11-15-2006, 20:21
I think Pirate has 1 thru-hike and a butt load of other miles. Circuit Rider has 5 I think.

Has Sherlock walked all of those with him?

Nightwalker
11-15-2006, 20:23
Has Sherlock walked all of those with him?

Guess I should read all of the posts before replying...

Cookerhiker
11-15-2006, 20:55
Just received my AT Journeys today with Grits gracing the cover. I met Grits while section-hiking in TN May '05 and later fouind myself a week behind him when I section-hiked Maine. Also met him at Trail Days '06 whe he was also thru-hiking. Someone at Trail Days (can't remember who) told me Grits has thru-hiked several years but doesn't make a big deal about it.

Nean
11-15-2006, 21:26
Just received my AT Journeys today with Grits gracing the cover. I met Grits while section-hiking in TN May '05 and later fouind myself a week behind him when I section-hiked Maine. Also met him at Trail Days '06 whe he was also thru-hiking. Someone at Trail Days (can't remember who) told me Grits has thru-hiked several years but doesn't make a big deal about it.

If he's the same Grits I met, you may be right. The man has been around.:)

ARambler
11-15-2006, 23:34
How about Treks or Jake? fairly recently?

A-Train
11-16-2006, 01:07
Healds got tons of miles and Annie may have the most trail miles of any dog. I'd hesitate to say he's got 5 or more thru-hikes though. Maybe a couple (though I'm not sure). Often he focuses on the south and New England and omits the mid-atlantic due to work constraints.

Point is he's got tons o' miles and probably doesn;t care how many hikes he's got.

Jim Adams
11-16-2006, 02:44
Heald is currently working for Boudan in Blairsville building houses.

Nean
11-17-2006, 02:25
1)Ward
2)Jack
3)Wingfoot
4)Lone Wolf
5)Warren*
6) Heald (and Annie)
7)Circut Rider
8)Model T

9)Hikaholic
10)Habitual Hiker
11) Mr. Jones
12)Seiko

The new list:

1)Jack
2)Lone Wolf
3)Wolf 23000
4)Stumpknocker
5)Model T
6)Ward
7)Circut Rider
8)Sherlock
9)Seiko
10)Wingfoot
11)Warren*

And the unconfirmed:
1) Habitual Hiker
2)Hikaholic
3)Mr. Jones
4)Grits
5)Dan Smith

And maybe Trek and Jake

*AFH

TinAbbey
11-17-2006, 14:31
how bout crazyhorse? I guess there could be a couple crazyhorses. But this one I met outside of hotsprings last march. I'd say he's in his 50s. I know there was a polaroid of him in the Doyle. He had a couple of AT years with his register entries. Si?

shades of blue
11-17-2006, 15:55
Grits summited August of 2005 at Katahdin. I hiked part of Maine with him...so I know he thru-hiked 2005.

Jan LiteShoe
11-17-2006, 21:19
The new list:

1)Jack
2)Lone Wolf
3)Wolf 23000
4)Stumpknocker
5)Model T
6)Ward
7)Circut Rider
8)Sherlock
9)Seiko
10)Wingfoot
11)Warren*

And the unconfirmed:
1) Habitual Hiker
2)Hikaholic
3)Mr. Jones
4)Grits
5)Dan Smith

And maybe Trek and Jake

*AFH

Hey Nean,
Here might be a way to get a firmer count, if you wish it.
Call ATC at Harper's Ferry. According to http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=162645
a weekly volunteer there named Greybeard has been compiling statistics about multiple hikes. :)

ARambler
11-17-2006, 22:36
I only saw one of the above (Stumpknocker twice and one on the way) on this years list from the ATC. I also didn't see many likely candidates. The Cheshire Cat was listed for 1994 and 2005. I know his first was over 20 years ago, so he is at least close. But that is an example of multiples not updating the ATC. There are a lot of common names, so it is tricky to make sure it is the same person who has 4 hikes. For example there is a Sarge nearly every year (Sgt. Rock is unique). The Sarge I saw in 2004 was on at least his 3rd.

Hope the ATC has some interesting data.
Rambler

Lone Wolf
11-18-2006, 00:24
Hey Nean,
Here might be a way to get a firmer count, if you wish it.
Call ATC at Harper's Ferry. According to http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=162645
a weekly volunteer there named Greybeard has been compiling statistics about multiple hikes. :)

greybeard needs to get out more. i know 4 others with multiples from the 80s, that nobody knows about. it don't mean *****. walk on.:banana

The Old Fhart
11-18-2006, 10:03
I posted this last December when another similar discussion came up: "I had hiked with Michael P. Jones (and Helen) for a while in 1989, and also once met the preacher who married them (George, I believe) at Hightop Hut. If I recall Michael had done 5 thrus when I first met him. Helen was an upbeat person."

There is also a possibility that Greg "The Traveler" Key who first thru hiked in 1987 may have hiked several times.

Nean
11-22-2006, 02:25
The new list:

1)Jack
2)Lone Wolf
3)Wolf 23000
4)Stumpknocker
5)Model T
6)Ward
7)Circut Rider
8)Sherlock
9)Seiko
10)Wingfoot
11)Warren*

And the unconfirmed:
1) Habitual Hiker
2)Hikaholic
3)Mr. Jones
4)Grits
5)Dan Smith

And maybe Trek and Jake

Talked to Heald tonight. He's doing great as is Annie. Heald has completed the trail 7 times. Micheal P. Jones gets confirmed as well. Thanks OF.:)

Seems some of yall are having a secret hiker contest.:( Walkin ain't *****; so.... whats the big deal?:cool:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:D