PDA

View Full Version : What size HH snake skins will fit 9x9 GG tarp?

FishBone
11-15-2006, 11:58
I'm considering using snake skins with a GG 9x9 tarp. what size do I need to order from Hennessy? (#1, #2) :-? also, what size HH snakes skins would work with a ULBA with a JRB Nest? (#4 or do I need to make some larger "Python" skins to accomodate the Nest?) thanks.

hammock engineer
11-15-2006, 12:04
I made the larger skins but added 2 inches to the diameter of both ends. I had problems on the regular python skins getting it over my HH and nest. It fit, but has a little bit of a pain to completly get on. It only ended up an oz or so heavier.

Here is a thread going on hammock forums about skins.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196

blackbishop351
11-15-2006, 12:13
I'm considering using snake skins with a GG 9x9 tarp. what size do I need to order from Hennessy? (#1, #2) :-? also, what size HH snakes skins would work with a ULBA with a JRB Nest? (#4 or do I need to make some larger "Python" skins to accomodate the Nest?) thanks.

I use my #2 HH skins with my 9' "Neo" tarp. The stock skins are plenty thick, but not long enough. I added a 32" extension to the large end of one skin, which gives me 8-10" of overlap.

FishBone
11-16-2006, 09:52
thanks for the feedback and the specific dimensions. Looks like I'm headed for the sewing machine!:eek:

blackbishop351
11-16-2006, 12:17
If you can sew, make your own skins. I just made a pair of Pythons - only took 2 hours, and that would've been shorter if I wasn't anal retentive about pre-pinning hems. You can get black silnylon for $4/yd. from Ed Speer:

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

One yard is probably enough. His sil is 66" wide, so you can just make one skin in two pieces.

FishBone
11-16-2006, 13:26
how much material do you think I would need to make the GG tarp skins and some skins for a HH+Nest? :-?

blackbishop351
11-16-2006, 13:34
You can get it easily out of 2 yards. I made the Pythons for a friend; he shipped me 2 yards so I could make each of his skins 6' long. He let me keep the scrap, which will be plenty to make skins for my new Black Cat tarp (12' ridge).

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 13:36
For the HH skins you need around 72" of length. That would be 2 yards to get the length. I made the tarp ones 80" out of noseeum for my McCat Deluxe. If you are pitching your 9'x9' tarp on the diagonal, 1/2 the ridge line is 76.4". I would go with at least 80" to have some overlap and protect the tarp. For this you could check out Walmart or another fabric store. They will have different types of nettings or veil material that would work. You are probibly going to need 3 yards of material to get the length.

blackbishop351
11-16-2006, 13:41
For the HH skins you need around 72" of length. That would be 2 yards to get the length. I made the tarp ones 80" out of noseeum for my McCat Deluxe. If you are pitching your 9'x9' tarp on the diagonal, 1/2 the ridge line is 76.4". I would go with at least 80" to have some overlap and protect the tarp. For this you could check out Walmart or another fabric store. They will have different types of nettings or veil material that would work. You are probibly going to need 3 yards of material to get the length.

Or just make one skin 5'5" (Speer sil width) and make the other skin in two pieces. :D

Or get 2 yards, make the Pythons 6', make one tarp skin 6', and make the other tarp skin in two pieces.:D

So many choices!

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 13:44
You could use 2 yds for the tarp if you lay it out just right on the diagonal. One thing that really helped me is that I made patterns out of newpapers. That makes cutting them out really easy. Definitly look into netting for the tarp though. I like to put the wet tarp into netting instead of sil-nylon, IMO. At breaks hiking you can take the tarp in the skins out to dry. In the sil-nylon you would have to take it out of the skins. Plus the netting weighs a little less if you are into the gram counting thing.

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 13:46
Or just make one skin 5'5" (Speer sil width) and make the other skin in two pieces. :D

Or get 2 yards, make the Pythons 6', make one tarp skin 6', and make the other tarp skin in two pieces.:D

So many choices!

Good point. I didn't think of it that way. I ordered a bunch of extra sil last year when I wanted to make a tarp. My failed tarp is turning into skins.

FishBone
11-16-2006, 14:17
thanks for all the info and ideas. I think I'll hang everything up, take some measurements, and make some patterns before cutting anything. Although I'm not a total "gram weenie", I don't like carrying any more than I have to (my knees and back second that motion!). I do like the idea of mesh for the tarp skins, tho!:rolleyes: very cool!!!;)