PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Mail Drop/ Bounce Box/ Shuttle Business

berninbush
11-15-2006, 14:44
Ok, I'll start out by saying that I'm a novice hiker who doesn't live near the AT, but is somewhat fascinated none the less. I've done a lot of reading here over the last few months, and everything I've read about the advantages and disadvantages of mail drops has given me an idea. I don't have the wherewithal to act on this idea myself, and I don't even know if it's feasible, so I'm just flinging it out into cyberspace for anyone to take advantage of it who can.

It seems like two of the biggest objections to mail drops and bounce boxes are being tied to a post office schedule, and the cost and inconvenience of shipment. Though I know some people prefer to "buy as they go" anyway, this comes with its own problems, and I suspect more people might use mail drops if the two big objections could be eliminated.

So here's my idea: form a company that buys up a few square yards of land in strategic locations up and down the trail, maybe every 4-7 days' hike or so, perhaps in trail towns that hikers would like to visit anyway for conveniences like laundry. (Note: I'm talking about developed areas, not actually in the woods!) On the little land parcel, install a set of lockers. Each locker is numbered, and each number corresponds to a particular key, so that the same key unlocks all of the Number 194 lockers (for example) the whole length of the trail.

A thru- or long-section hiker contracts with the company to rent the lockers of a particular number, and receives a key. They can then send their bounce box to whichever of their lockers where they need it, using the company shuttles (see below).

This same company employs three or four shuttles with drivers that do nothing but drive up and down the trail. They can give rides to hikers (on a pay basis) who need to move to other areas of the trail for whatever reason... this seems to be a common need (especially for section hikers). The shuttles also move bounce boxes from one set of lockers to another. So when Hiker 194 finishes with his or her box in one town, they drop it in a drop box with a label saying where they'll need it next, and the shuttle driver comes along and picks it up and takes it there for them. No postage is needed; the transit cost has already been paid by the hiker before their hike begins. When Hiker 194 reaches the next locker location, they will find their bounce box waiting for them in Locker 194.

This would work for mail drops as well, as long as you could get the local post office to agree to deliver to the lockers, and give them a master key to get in. I bet they'd love not having stinky hikers walking in at all hours to collect their mail. ;)

It's a little complex, but I'm wondering if you might be able to make it cost-effective. What do you guys think?

Webs
11-15-2006, 15:13
wow, very creative!!:banana but if i did that, i'd probably lose my key in the first week.....:D

berninbush
11-15-2006, 15:16
:-? :rolleyes: Hmmm.... it could go high tech/ ultralite, and be rigged to open to your fingerprint, or retinal scan....

That might get pricey, though. ;)

Footslogger
11-15-2006, 15:19
Interesting concept but I think it would end up being a sort of feast/famine type of business.

'Slogger

Grampie
11-15-2006, 17:33
Your mind is in motion ,that's good. The big problem I see is that a whole lot of folks would sign-up for the service and than leave the trail and abort their hike. You would also spend a lot of the year with no hikers comming through. You need to come up with something else to carry you through the off hiker season. Keep trying, you may come up with a winner.:-?

berninbush
11-15-2006, 18:10
Good points, Grampie, and ones I had considered.

I think hikers would need to pay up-front for service for the entire trail (or whatever section they're planning to hike), and only get a partial refund if they drop out. This may sound "unfair" but if you think about it, it makes sense. When you plan to thru-hike, you invest a lot of money in gear, bus or plane tickets, etc., that may not be refundable... it's just one of the risks you take. And it's fair to the business because they may or may not be able to re-rent that locker for any particular season.

And yes, this is a very seasonal business. In fact you might only have the shuttles running from March to October (or maybe a little longer in the South) and people planning winter hikes would have to rely on the post office rather than the shuttles for package transport.

I don't have the money, time, or location to do this. I don't think this business would support someone full time, especially after you pay the shuttle drivers. It would be a fun project for a retiree who has some money to invest, wants to eventually earn some income on the side, and loves the trail.

Downunda
11-16-2006, 00:28
It would certainly be a popular service. The challenge for you would be to get the logistics sorted out and manage to make some money out of it.
Good luck if you decide to proceed.

tiamalle
11-16-2006, 03:07
Ok, I'll start out by saying that I'm a novice hiker who doesn't live near the AT, but is somewhat fascinated none the less. I've done a lot of reading here over the last few months, and everything I've read about the advantages and disadvantages of mail drops has given me an idea. I don't have the wherewithal to act on this idea myself, and I don't even know if it's feasible, so I'm just flinging it out into cyberspace for anyone to take advantage of it who can.

It seems like two of the biggest objections to mail drops and bounce boxes are being tied to a post office schedule, and the cost and inconvenience of shipment. Though I know some people prefer to "buy as they go" anyway, this comes with its own problems, and I suspect more people might use mail drops if the two big objections could be eliminated.

So here's my idea: form a company that buys up a few square yards of land in strategic locations up and down the trail, maybe every 4-7 days' hike or so, perhaps in trail towns that hikers would like to visit anyway for conveniences like laundry. (Note: I'm talking about developed areas, not actually in the woods!) On the little land parcel, install a set of lockers. Each locker is numbered, and each number corresponds to a particular key, so that the same key unlocks all of the Number 194 lockers (for example) the whole length of the trail.

A thru- or long-section hiker contracts with the company to rent the lockers of a particular number, and receives a key. They can then send their bounce box to whichever of their lockers where they need it, using the company shuttles (see below).

This same company employs three or four shuttles with drivers that do nothing but drive up and down the trail. They can give rides to hikers (on a pay basis) who need to move to other areas of the trail for whatever reason... this seems to be a common need (especially for section hikers). The shuttles also move bounce boxes from one set of lockers to another. So when Hiker 194 finishes with his or her box in one town, they drop it in a drop box with a label saying where they'll need it next, and the shuttle driver comes along and picks it up and takes it there for them. No postage is needed; the transit cost has already been paid by the hiker before their hike begins. When Hiker 194 reaches the next locker location, they will find their bounce box waiting for them in Locker 194.

This would work for mail drops as well, as long as you could get the local post office to agree to deliver to the lockers, and give them a master key to get in. I bet they'd love not having stinky hikers walking in at all hours to collect their mail. ;)

It's a little complex, but I'm wondering if you might be able to make it cost-effective. What do you guys think?I can't speak for everywhere but on the A T I would advise you to send mail drops to hostels,motels or outfitters.They are open more hours and usually open on Sundays,Send far enough ahead to get cheap postage,Watch this web site and others like it,ask questions and do a little planning and it will work smoothly for you ;) I hope

peter_pan
11-16-2006, 07:55
Too many free alternatives...too few customers...too much capital cost...too much yuppie convience... low potential to be profitable... run some model numbers, you'll see.

Pan

The Weasel
11-16-2006, 12:30
What people forget is that the 'season' for bounce boxes is with the wave - literally - of thru hikers starting around February. This floods post offices and other places taking bounces, but then as the wave passes, it's over. So the "need" is about 2-3 months long, after which, nada. As well, the wave diminishes as it goes further north due to dropouts. But everyone intends to finish. So there would be a huge number of never-used "lockers" way north. Sorry; impractical.

Other than a few gear shops and maybe a couple of book writers I won't mention, no one really makes a living off of the AT. And that's good, too.

The Weasel