PDA

View Full Version : Section Recommendation(s)

Hillbilly
05-19-2003, 16:47
My 14 year-old son and I are planning a seven-day hike on the AT sometime in July of 2004. We will be in the Cumberland Gap area of eastern TN, and will want to either go southbound down the TN/NC line, or northbound into SW Va. Both in good shape, ready to accept hikes and distances of moderate skill. Any suggestions?

Yankee
05-19-2003, 16:52
some friends and I are planning our first section hike at the end of July as well, we have decided to go Northbound from Indian Grave Gap to the US19E trailhead, about 37 miles. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Groucho
05-19-2003, 20:08
I don't know how you plan to arrange transport, but you might try starting at the top of Roan Mt. and go N to Damascus, 85 mi. Cooler in the highlands in July. From 19E to Hampton there are some falls to cool off in.

Bob Peoples at the Kincorra Hostel may be able to shuttle; it's not the peak season for thrus. When you get to the hostel you could slackpack or work on a trail project etc.

If you really feel like making the miles continue 30 mi. past Damascus and end at Wilburn Ridge (Massie Gap).

walkerat99
05-19-2003, 21:59
I would agree with Groucho on the hiking from Roan Mt. to Damascus. I took my older son on that section last year and he loved it. You will be going over several bald mountains and also down to Laurel Creek Falls and Watago Lake. It is all beautiful and is really not too difficult. Also as Groucho said, if you have time to continue on past Damascus and into the Mount Rogers area it is also very beautiful. My son and I are going to do that section in a week or so.. We were lucky enough to see the Longhorn Steers on the north side of Hump Mt. last year, which was even a thrill for me, since I had hiked it 3 times and never saw a steer but they were there last year.. As always in the Wilburn Ridge area the ponies are always around there it seems.
Af far as I am concerned those are the most beautiful areas of the AT down in the south.. or at least the most beautiful for any distance. Just my 2 cents.... Regardless of where you go I am sure it will be great and you will enjoy it very much.
Happy Trails.....

Sincerely,
Ed

Groucho
05-19-2003, 23:16
P.S.-Add ~ 3 mi. to the totals I gave above. There is a relo between 19E and Moreland Gap Shelter.

Hillbilly
05-20-2003, 07:55
thanks to Yankee, Groucho, and walkerat99 for their suggestions. Any more are always welcome. My best to you on the trail this year. My son and I are both looking forward to it.

Red Hat
05-20-2003, 13:22
Hey, hillbilly! I am from Brenham and will also be doing a section hike this summer. I leave from Damascus heading north June 7th. Do you spend any time on the Lone Star Hiking Trail? That's my usual stomping grounds.

max patch
05-20-2003, 14:04
You may want to consider the area thruough Grayson Highlands State Park in SW Virginia with the herds of feral ponies.

Hillbilly
05-20-2003, 16:44
Continuing to get great information from all of you...oldkathy, I haven't done the Lone Star, but, may use it later on this year as a warmup...do you have a website on it? and, max patch, that's the third suggestion about the Grayson Highlands area. looks like it may be the way to go...thanks again - Hillbilly

Trail Yeti
05-20-2003, 17:04
Well, here is another one for the Grayson Highlands, it is really beautiful up there. My suggestion would be to hike from VA 603 (Fox Creek) South to 19E, or if you have the time to Carvers Gap (which is just before the ascent to Roan). Or do it Nobo, whatever you want. The total distance is 126 miles. If that is a bit much, just hike to Kincora and then do some day hikes on the balds of hump, little bald etc. The new relo that Groucho mentioned is really nice, and by the time you get there, the one we worked on after trail days might be open (it only needs a little more work). If you want to split your hike, do both...hike from fox creek to Damascus, then flip down to carvers gap and hike to Kincora (where you can dayhike to Laurel Falls).

Red Hat
05-20-2003, 17:27
I should be in the area of Grayson Highlands myself on June 9th or 10th. (It's 30 miles from Damascus and I'm figuring 12-15 miles per day) Maybe I'll see you.

As for the Lone Star Trail, check out the club website at www.lshtclub.com. There is a lot of information, including maps on the trail. The next hike is scheduled for Trail Days but I'll be in Virginia. I just did a couple of miles of trail maintenance on Saturday. It's a nice trail, though and a good preparation hike. (100 miles through if you want or just a few day hikes with loops)