PDA

View Full Version : water on sleeping bag - why, where from, what to do?

gdwelker
11-15-2006, 21:46
I have been backpacking and kayak camping for about the last 20+ years. I have always used synthetic fill bags. Last year I bought my first ever down bag. It is a Western Mountaineering Apache SMF. The reviews I read indicated most people are very happy with these bags, and I have been pleased with mine. Except I do have a slight problem and question that may be about this particular bag, or down bags in general, since I am not that familiar with their characteristics.

I have used it about 25 nights now, in conditions ranging from 20-70 degrees F, and about 30-80% humidity. I have used it in a hammock, in a double wall tent, and under tarps, and in a golite den. In all cases, whenever there has not been at least a wind I could feel against my skin going through the sleep shelter, I have found water on the outside of the bag. The amount of water seems to vary with the humidity. There is enough condensation in humid conditions that I can actually wipe it off with a towel and have a wet hand towel afterwards. I find it interesting that the moisture does not get into the down - perhaps the SMF fabric is doing its thing and keeping it out of the down if the moisture is condensing from the air. Or, is the moisture coming off my body as perspiration, passing through the down and SMF fabric, and condensing on the outside of the bag? I had one night camping on a beach under a tarp where the water was so bad I was getting chilled from the evaporative cooling. I woke up, wiped off the water, and the bag warmed up very quickly. I did not notice any loss of loft, except what might be expected from the weight of the water on the outer fabric pressing it down.

I have never had this kind of situation happen with my synthetic fill bags, and am wondering if this is somehow a function of down bags in general, the Apache SMF in particular, or what exactly might be going on here. While this doesn't pose a problem on one nighters, I'm wondering what I'll do when confronted with this issue on night one of a multi night in rainy conditions - how do I get the bag outer fabric dry between uses? Any thoughts on this water problem?