PDA

View Full Version : Bus station fear...

mindi
11-16-2006, 00:03
I purchased my Greyhound ticket to Gainesville and made my reservation at the Hiker hostel. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am going to have a 4 hour layover at night at a Greyhound station. I'm worried about staying safe at the station. They are usually pretty seedy. Any suggestions?

Mindi

hammock engineer
11-16-2006, 00:17
Sorry to post in the women's forum but I think I can help a little with this one. In October I rode the bus for the very first time. I rode it twice for about 24 hours each way. I am the type of person that likes to talk to people around me. On almost every strech I managed to find someone to talk to. I met some pretty interesting people. I had about an hour layoff in Pitt. Everyone pretty much set there. I think it is what you make of it. You can either sit there and not talk to anyone. Or strike up a converstion.

Just my 2 cents. I am also 6'4" 225 lbs male, so people look at me a little different. I did talk to a girl about 18 or 19 that was riding alone from MN somewhere to the East Coast somewhere. There was also a women and her 2 kids that I let use my cell phone riding up from Tampa. I think you will be fine. It is kind of like your hike, it is what you make of it.

mindi
11-16-2006, 00:23
Thanks, hammock engineer.

I have traveled by bus and by plane quite a bit, and I'm also the type of person who usually strikes up conversations with the people next to me on the plane or bus or in the smoking lounge at the airport. But I've never had to stay a long time at a bus station at night. The ones that I have been to during the day were pretty seedy even in broad daylight. I googled this particular station and the only thing I could really find was people saying not to hang around there at night.

I'd definitely feel safer if I were a guy or a whole lot bigger!

Singe03
11-16-2006, 00:40
I wasn't too fond of the Greyhound station in Atlanta when I was there but keep a few things in mind.

Crooks and other bad people hate witnesses, so just stay in the lobby where other people are, don't wander around outside by yourself. There will be staff there, phones, people wandering in and out, maybe even security guards, a busy lobby is just not an appealing place for someone to commit a physical crime against you. Theft however is a possibility.

Sit away from the exits, thieves want easy marks and near an exit is an ideal place for them.

Stick a little cash for snacks in your pocket, leave the bulk of what you are carrying, including credit cards, in the pack itself. How much money you are carrying is really none of anyone's business and there is no point in displaying a wad of bills or traveler's checks. Greyhound discourages it but begging does happen in their terminals so thats another reason to not have much money on you.

Keep your pack with you at all times, no exceptions... If you have to go to the bathroom, it goes in the stall with you. If you get up to get a snack, it goes with you, make a phone call, it goes with you. It sounds paranoid but your backpack is basically your life and everything you own for the next few months of your life, paranoia is pretty justified.

Try to sit near the front of the bus and know what side your pack is loaded on so you can be one of the first off and keep an eye on it. Every stop, get out to "stretch your legs" and keep an eye on your pack.

All I can think of for now...

Pokey2006
11-16-2006, 00:48
I've spent a lot of time hanging around bus stations. Traveling out of Boston, I seem to not be able to go anywhere in the country without at least two hours in NYC, a fine place to be at midnight. I don't know why they have to put the bus stations in the worst part of every city, but maybe that's what keeps fares low.

They are seedy places, but usually not as bad as they look. For some reason, most people seem to be too drunk to do much harm....Just stay near other people, and follow some of the other suggestions already posted here, there were some good ideas. Above all, show no fear. People who look out of place or frightened tend to be easy prey.

You could also try talking to your bus driver, perhaps he/she will know of a safe place in the station where you can hang out under the watchful eye of a bus company employee or security.

But first, how about changing your departure time to avoid the long layover? You may be able to do that without too much trouble. Could be worth looking into.

Good luck!

Jim Adams
11-16-2006, 02:38
wear the brightest clothing that you have with you---you tend to stand out and everyone kind of keeps an eye on you(back to the thieves don't like witnesses thing). you will probably be tired and bored. if you are reading, dozing off or anything except looking directly at your pack it stands a chance of being grabbed. a cheap security is to wear a webbibg belt around your waist and carabiner it to your pack and leave it all visable. no one should bother you as it will be difficult to grab and run with your pack and also if they have bad intentions with you, they have to fight you and pack weight.
good luck and stay safe,

geek

StarLyte
11-16-2006, 06:04
Crime strikes when least expected. Not when we're prepared.

Geek offered good suggestions.

Just be alert and aware of your surroundings. Don't let it ruin your ride.

Check in with family or friends when you get to the hostel.

Be strong, and remember that you're on your way to Springer!! :banana

neighbor dave
11-16-2006, 07:53
:-? don't be itimidated by them. stand your ground.
wear one of those karate outfits with a blackbelt!!
think positive thoughts:sun

Hammock Hanger
11-16-2006, 09:16
I have used the dog (greyhound) many times. When I had foot troubles during my 2001 hike I used it frequently to get back to FL and back to the trail. Most of the terminals are well lite and most have food. Just stay inside, I did not wander out in some of the areas. Going out west to Colorado was a B-----. You will undoubtedly have to change buses at some ungodly hour. Always bring anything of value you with you. Always make sure your gear gets transferred to another bus if you are changing.

Don't fear the stations that are not that bad.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-16-2006, 10:05
Most crime around bus terminals happens outside - so stay inside. Hammock Hanger and Geek have given you excellent advice. Stay in the terminal's well-lit areas and in sight of the night staff and you should be fine. You may find someone who is making the same transfer as you ride to your lay-over - there is safety in numbers so stick together if that occurs.

mindi
11-16-2006, 10:20
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I feel a lot better. I think I may try that webbing/carabiner idea as Jim suggested, and I'm definitely going to stay inside.

I told someone at work that I was worried about the bus station and she said 'But you're not afraid of being in the woods for six months??' Hahaha..

:) Mindi

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 10:22
Keep any cash and bank cards in your front pocket. Do not leave it in your pack.

briarpatch
11-16-2006, 10:59
Keep any cash and bank cards in your front pocket. Do not leave it in your pack.

or get one of the money pouches that loop over your belt and tuck into your pants like this :

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9305&memberId=12500226

Leaving money in your pack in a bus station is a bad idea. Another travel tip - photocopy the contents of your wallet (front and back), leave a copy with a trusted relative back home. If your wallet is lost or stolen, you have the contents available to report the loss and you have the phone and account numbers to cancel credit cards, etc.

K0OPG
11-16-2006, 11:05
Old hand here at bus travel....it sucks. However, it is inexpensive.

When you get off the bus, keep an eye on you bags under the bus (if you have any). TWICE I had to go out to the bus loading area and retrieve my bag and put it back on the correct bus. Someone kept taking it off the bus and putting it next to another bus. I was staying on my current bus not switching.

Careful in bathrooms...baltimore...real scarey!!! One guy bathing in the sink, another just standing in a corner watching everyone, others milling around, stalls without doors. I turned around and went down the street looking for a bathroom.

As others have stated, connect with another traveler. I did with a woman and her daughter. I watched her stuff while she watched my stuff for bathroom breaks and stuff. Of course be cautious in choosing with whom you connect; make the connection on the bus, not someone standing in the terminal...they may be there for that reason, "yeah, I'll watch you stuff"...and then they are gone with it.

Be careful, use good judgement, and things will be fine. Good luck on the bus ride and the trail.

The Weasel
11-16-2006, 12:43
I apologize too for intruding, but I've ridden the Dog often too, and have a few random comments too:

1) NEVER leave money, papers or anything else in your pack. You can function without your pack; you are helpless without papers/money. Keep your papers/credit cards/money under your outer clothing. There are a lot of methods to this.

2) Do NOT go to the restroom unless you see other (safe) people going in. Leave quickly. Take your pack with you, of course.

3) Use twist-ties to close all your pack zippers, if they have two pulls.

Alligator
11-16-2006, 12:49
Being a hiker, a nice stout hiking staff is generally permitted.
:datz :cool: .

berninbush
11-16-2006, 13:01
2) Do NOT go to the restroom unless you see other (safe) people going in. Leave quickly. Take your pack with you, of course.

When I travelled by train in Italy, I followed the opposite advice. I found myself in Venice at 5:30 in the morning when it was still dark outside and nothing was open (and it was freezing!) so I decided to wait in the train station until the city woke up. It turns out, the warmest and quietest (and cleanest!) place in the whole station was inside the ladies' room! I retreated in there and read a book for an hour or so quite comfortably.

Of course, European public restrooms tend to be nicer because they charge you per use, and many have an attendant present at all times. A nasty trashy US restroom would be different.

But for the males on this thread warning about restrooms... keep in mind that ladies' rooms are usually nicer. One good thing is that men aren't allowed in there, cutting down on the possibility of violent crime. (And if you see a man in there, you know he's up to no good and you can run away!)

highway
11-16-2006, 13:23
There is a huge difference between public transportation in Europe & the US. For the most part, they have it; we don't. When we do offer it, its often seedy. There it might be old, but seldom (if any) the seedy aspect the original poster complained against.

neo
11-16-2006, 13:48
I purchased my Greyhound ticket to Gainesville and made my reservation at the Hiker hostel. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am going to have a 4 hour layover at night at a Greyhound station. I'm worried about staying safe at the station. They are usually pretty seedy. Any suggestions?

Mindi
:) you will be fine,i only posted on female forum to help put your mind at ease,i have spent many,many,many hours at bus station from all my section hikes:cool: neo

Dancer
11-16-2006, 14:31
I took the bus from Salt Lake City, Utah ( my fiance' was at Hill AFB) to NC. I have to say it was an interesting 2 days but even with a 2 hour lay over in Chicago and a couple of other bus stations I never felt that I was in danger.

Don't wear jewelry or fancy shoes or clothes that might attract thieves. Don't carry a big roll of money that you have to pull out of your pocket or purse and act confident even if you are feeling afraid. I wore jeans, older sneakers and a big army field jacket so that I didn't stand out. I also used this strategy in NYC once so I felt safer on the street.

Good luck and see you on the trail!
Amazonwoman (Julie)

Blissful
11-16-2006, 16:10
:) you will be fine,i only posted on female forum to help put your mind at ease,i have spent many,many,many hours at bus station from all my section hikes:cool: neo

Yeah Neo, but you also look like a military sarge. Who's gonna mess with you? :)

I agree with using a concealed money belt for all your cards, money, etc and keeping your pack somehow connected to you. And staying in well lit areas. My dh has used buses and they are not pretty, but if you look like you know what you're doing, it helps.

As for Europe, ever try the Circumventi subway in Naples? We took it from there to Pompeii (and the supposed quote is - you will get robbed). Seedy as all get out. I'm sure I had some cirme bosses hovering nearby. At least lots of pickpockets who kept staring at me and I stared right back. And we had to spend several hours at the Naples train station at night when the train broke down. Thankfully they had a pretty nice and safe passenger lounge where we waited.

bfitz
11-16-2006, 16:14
How about a stun gun?

Gaiter
11-16-2006, 17:23
be smart and you'll get a good story out of it or meet someone interesting.

saimyoji
11-16-2006, 18:13
I used to take the bus from MD to Nogales, AZ and then on down to San Carlos, Sonora and had many adventures on the bus and in the stations. Watch yourself carefully, there are many predators out there, some even in disguise as "nice" people.

The Weasel
11-16-2006, 19:42
But for the males on this thread warning about restrooms... keep in mind that ladies' rooms are usually nicer. One good thing is that men aren't allowed in there, cutting down on the possibility of violent crime. (And if you see a man in there, you know he's up to no good and you can run away!)

Mindy, and pretty much everyone else, should know that most stations are nice and safe places. But there are some that can be scary, and larger ones tend to be that way a bit at night. As a man, I'm not trying to be alarmist, but if the waiting room is not busy, with a stream of people using the ladies' room, I reiterate that caution is a good idea.

The Weasel

Downunda
11-16-2006, 20:51
Agree with the comment to keep your stuff with you at all times. In '02 I met a hiker that had his sleeping bag stolen whilst he was in the restroom. Worst part was that he had $1000 sewn into the lining.

mindi
11-16-2006, 21:35
Wow, what a wealth of great advice, here and in PM's. Thank you all so much. I definitely feel better about the trip. See you on the trail!

:) Mindi

moondoggy
11-16-2006, 23:49
Mindi:
When I was in the service...(a long time ago). I frequently had to lay over in the Washington DC bus station.....back then it was really seedy. I can't tell you the number of times a young woman would ask if she could sit with me....
Point being...lf there are any service people around hook up with one of them. I'm sure it would make their day as well as provide some security for yourself.....
Good luck ,,and see you out there!!!!

VictoriaM
11-17-2006, 15:50
Point being...lf there are any service people around hook up with one of them.

Absolutely. I glommed on to a Navy guy on leave on my trip from MN to ME.

If I may, can I ask what station you'll be laying over in? I've been in a shocking number of them (due to my gypsy ways, and not having a license until this summer) so I might be able to tell you what you can expect.

Turtle2
11-18-2006, 21:12
Mindi, I rode the bus for 36 hours at the end of my hike. There were a few 4 hour layovers. I was pleasantly surprised at the terminals. They were cleaner and brighter than I had expected. My only problem was having to be sure my pack made it back on the bus. It tried to jump everytime we stopped. Just check and see where it might be when you get off. I met a lady travelling to my destination and we watched each other's stuff for bathroom breaks, etc. It was a much better trip than anticipated. Only problem was not being able to sleep more than 1.5 hours. Go, do, have fun.

sarbar
11-19-2006, 03:11
When I traveled across the US on the trains, I carried my money and cards, etc in a travel bag under my clothes. For instance, LLBean carries these. I carried enough cash for the stuff I needed in my front pocket. I neve rlet my backpack out of my eyes. No matter what. Never left it with anyone. I am paranoid, yes.
As for bathrooms, this may seem dumb, but when my husband and me traveled to WY this past summer, we stopped at a deserted rest area on the edge of WA on I-90. It was dark. My husband walked me to the bathroom, and went in and made sure no one was in there. He then stood outside and waited for me. I had woken up a couple minutes before, so I was groggy. I appreciated it.
A few minutes later, after I was back in a locked car, a WSP officer pulled up, and was going thru the bathrooms, making sure there were no unsavories hanging around (or having you know what in the stalls!). So my husband's fears were not unfounded.
In day to day I always carry pepper spray on my keychain. $10 spent well for any traveler!