PDA

View Full Version : Check Out My Pack

little bear
11-16-2006, 00:42

Can I get some opinions on my pack weigh and content from yall.

little bear
11-16-2006, 00:44
Sorry forgot to mention this is for week long trip to Foot Hills trail in November. should I take anything out

copythat
11-16-2006, 01:19
first impressions ...

lose the nalgenes? schweppes wide-mouth seltzer bottles hold a liter each and weigh a little over an oz apiece, and you get to drink the seltzer, too, all for about $1.79 per bottle (less on sale)!

leave the pillow on your bed? (sleep with head on pack or extra clothes?)

2lb 11oz for first aid, meds, hygiene? what is the breakdown here?

depending on expected conditions of your water supplies, you might be able to leave the filter at home and carry aqua mira or some other chlorine dioxide treater. (not quite sure how they perform as temps drop, and of course the chemicals do nothing about silt ...)

... could add up to a couple of pounds, mebbe ...

little bear
11-16-2006, 01:25
the first aid kit has one ankle wrap, a couple bandaids ointment. the most weight is contact case, saline, glassess tooth brush and tooth paste. all are small travel sizes and hand soap about 3 oz for taking out contacts

Seeker
11-16-2006, 15:22
quick response on my first impression; don't know if it's solo or with others, don't know if you've already bought/own what you've listed. but here goes:

blacklite pots-why 2? kmart/walmart grease saver is about 4-5oz. (20oz saved)

headlamp-they do make 1-3oz lights. (2 oz)

cups-depends on what you want to do with them, but campmor sells a 1c measuring cup for $1 that weighs under an ounce. (2 oz)

nalgene-has its uses, but not as a water bottle in my pack. aqua fina bottles are cheap, weight 1.6oz, and hold 32oz/qt/liter. (4oz)

water filter-i use aqua mira drops, but some don't like the aftertaste. (i personally don't taste it.) i also don't mind a bit of added protein in the form of floaties... but you can run the untreated water through a coffee filter first, to get rid of most of it... (13 oz)

pillow-clothes in a stuff bag. (6 oz)

that's a savings of roughly 47 oz, or about 3 lbs.

do you really need an ankle wrap? (i'm assuming you have a bandanna somewhere. you can also just rip the bottom 2" off your t-shirt in a pinch.)

my glasses and case weigh 3 oz total. can you live without the contacts for a week? there's some more weight saved.

that's what jumped out at me right off...

SGT Rock
11-16-2006, 15:25
This is only what I would do different...

- 1 pound 8 ounces for a pot is a lot more than I would want. I would get an aluminum pot that weighs about 4 ounces. This would save you 1.25 pounds.

- Go with the smaller fuel bottle - the 4 ounce bottles weigh about 8 ounces. This will save you about 1/4 pound.

- Replace the Nalgen bottles with old Gaorade bottles, they are about 1.7 ounces each and come with a drink. You could save about 1/4 pound.

- Replace the filter with Iodine and Vitamin C. Save a pound.

- Get rid of the pillow and use your pack or clothing bag. Save 6 ounces.

- Reduce your first aid/meds/personal hygine stuff. I would trim that by 2 pounds minmum. You are only going for a few days. Carry only what you need, and keep the rest in your car to clean up with on the end of the trail.

This would drop your pack by about 5 pounds right there. Looking at what you have, add in 2 pounds of food (12-14 pounds) plus a couple pounds for a liter of water, you are planning for about 40 pounds of pack weight right there.

Alligator
11-16-2006, 16:07
Do not leave this house without a hat:p .

saimyoji
11-16-2006, 17:00
Looks great if it works for you. Of course everyone would do things a little differently. If the weight feels right to you, have a great trip! :)

I would add some Scotch for those cold nights. :D

Webs
11-16-2006, 17:47
i did the FHT this past spring, and let me warn you (if you've never done it before): there are a lot of stairs and straight up/straight down passages! kinda silly at some points. anyway, so i'd definitely recommend poles. maybe lose one of the pots.....i guess that weight doesn't include food? hope you enjoy it; it's challenging but well worth it! :sun

C-Stepper
11-16-2006, 18:06
I didn't see rain pants to go with that jacket; they help block the wind.

I'm assuming that north face jacket is you insulation layer? Hope so..

...and, for a bonus, a hint

Hang a resupply bag at Bad Creek access; you cut your food you have to haul in half.

I've hiked the FHT in August and December. It's a pretty trail, enjoy! :)