PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Music For New Film

Lion King
11-16-2006, 12:14
Hey all, Lion King here with a seeking bit of searching for my second Docu/film on the Pacific Crest Trail.

The first film, WALKING WITH FREEDOM, has sold over 3500 copies since its release in May of 2005, with distribution from Campmor, Amazon and REI now looking into it, as well as the fact that it is successfully sold in outdoor stores along the East coast from Georgia all the way to Maine.

The Soundtrack is awesome on that, and I hope to repeat that with this film.

The first film played during Sundance Film festival (Not an official selection) but we set up a very successful screening as well as being a selection in not only The Appalachian Film Festival in Huntington West VA, but in a few smaller fests and venues as well.

I am looking for music with a Southern Cali feel for the desert region, and music with a laid back Phish/Greatful dead sound for the Oregon and Washington sections, but I WILL LISTEN to anything if you think it fits into an outdoor, environmental style film.

It doesn't have to be about trees and bunnies, as long as good strong emotive feeling is alive in the music.

We will be releasing a sperate CD along with the DVD, and you will get press, recognition, credit, etc...but this is a nonpaying gig, as I am poor again now that I have spent another 6 months in the woods.

The fact of the matter is this, we have had thousands of requests for the CD for the first film because of the music, and this project can bring you a world of listeners to your website, or CD by contributing a single good song.

If interested please send a CD to

WALKING WITH FREEDOM II soundtrack
C/O
BARKING HARLEY PRODUCTIONS
PO box 190748
Dallas TX 75219

If you want to check out any info or reviews you can check out
http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com
There are links there for reviews, or you can check out amazon.com under walkingwithfreedom to see the reviews there.

I appreciate it
Michael Daniel "Lion King"
Director

Michele
11-16-2006, 12:26
On that note (hee hee...no pun intended)....is there a CD available for your AT video? I thought it was going to be available through Campor, but when I emailed their customer service, they never got back to me. Just wondering....I'd like to download some of the tunes for my thru next year.

khaynie
11-16-2006, 12:43
Congrats on your hike. The PCT is something I definitly want to do. Indeed, the tunes on the first cd were awesome. Matt Powell is a favorite of mine.

If you haven't thought about James McMurtry, do so. In particular, anything off of his St. Mary of the Woods or Live in aught three cd's would fit nicely, IMO. Fraulein O (for all I know) would be a good track.

Lion King
11-16-2006, 12:43
On that note (hee hee...no pun intended)....is there a CD available for your AT video? I thought it was going to be available through Campor, but when I emailed their customer service, they never got back to me. Just wondering....I'd like to download some of the tunes for my thru next year.

No there isnt, and that sucks.
The reason being is that we got rights to use the songs JUST for the film and some peoples agents, lawyers and those who dont care about the music cant make money off people who dont make money (ME), so they wont give the rights up for a CD release.

I tried to explain to them the simple fact is this, people hear your single on the film and like it, they will search out your CD or website and buy your album...really easy to understand, but well...ya know how it is.

I really wish the CD for WWF was available as I had planned on it...but as with life, plans have a way of changing on you.

Lion King
11-16-2006, 12:46
Congrats on your hike. The PCT is something I definitly want to do. Indeed, the tunes on the first cd were awesome. Matt Powell is a favorite of mine.

If you haven't thought about James McMurtry, do so. In particular, anything off of his St. Mary of the Woods or Live in aught three cd's would fit nicely, IMO. Fraulein O (for all I know) would be a good track.

Yeah, but will he let us use them for free as a promotion for him?

Its funny, people think because you sale a few DVDs you make money...well...life aint cheap outside of the woods.
Im surviving and able to get this other project filmed at least and hopefully survive long enough to edit it but that remains to be seen!
Its cool, I still have plenty of food in my food bag.
:D

khaynie
11-16-2006, 13:01
Good point...I don't know. Look him up at http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/
Maybe he'll let you. Good luck.

RedneckRye
11-17-2006, 02:32
Hey LionKing aka PumaPrince....

This isn't a request, it is a demand (which will be ENFORCED by my team of "lawyers")!!! Whenever I appear in your little film, which I will do, the background music will be SLAYER. None of that hippies prancing thru the forest crap, I want the full on "conquering the mountains like a lost viking" ruckus.
I'll be in the movie (alot) because I am the coolest, sexiest, and most "whatever adjective" hiker you met on the PCT this year. Rumor had it that you were awesome, but I AM AWESOMER!!!

RYE

Sly
11-17-2006, 05:22
Sorry, I can't help with the music but the obvious question is, what about Walking with Freedom III and when are you hiking/filming the CDT?

I know one step at a time...

StarLyte
11-17-2006, 05:26
Goo Goo Dolls...."Better Days"

Michele
11-17-2006, 10:38
No there isnt, and that sucks.
The reason being is that we got rights to use the songs JUST for the film and some peoples agents, lawyers and those who dont care about the music cant make money off people who dont make money (ME), so they wont give the rights up for a CD release.

I tried to explain to them the simple fact is this, people hear your single on the film and like it, they will search out your CD or website and buy your album...really easy to understand, but well...ya know how it is.

I really wish the CD for WWF was available as I had planned on it...but as with life, plans have a way of changing on you.

You are right on with your point of people seeking out their albums. I did just that and now own one of Ryan Montbleau's albums because I fell in love with his song "Dream on dream on" from your DVD. By the way....where did you find the version you used on your DVD? Do you happen to remember which album that particular version was on?

hammock engineer
11-17-2006, 10:48
Lion King, not to get you into any trouble or keep bringing this up but can you post the song list from the first one?

Mother's Finest
11-17-2006, 16:17
Hey Lion King,

these guys are my friends..... www.borisgarcia.com (http://www.borisgarcia.com)
they play really good music, jamgrassy, folky, twangy, drinkin and smokin kind of music.

not sure if they would be interested, but I am going to forward this thread to them.

if you check out the site, you may notice a similarity between my name and the name of their second cd. (I got naming credits for it)

peace
mf

adh24
11-17-2006, 17:01
Try some Mason Jennings good and folky will a little bit of kick. He has two songs, California & California Part 2. They're off his self titled album

Michele
11-17-2006, 23:43
I forwarded your thread to a couple of my friends who have a band named Falls Way Downs. Hope they connect w/you...they're really good.

Lion King
11-18-2006, 01:46
Sorry, I can't help with the music but the obvious question is, what about Walking with Freedom III and when are you hiking/filming the CDT?

I know one step at a time...

Whenever my bank account doesnt say --$678, I get this one edited and I come up with around $6000.

:D

But then I am scared of Grizzlies! But I want to go back out right now, imperfect hiker or not!:banana

FOR SALE
Toyota Camary LE 1992
Slight oil leak
Brake fluid leaks
New battery
No AC
Passanegr window wont go down as electric thing on that side doesnt work
Clean and pretty interior and no body damage.
$2500 or best offer...$100 of which will go to ATTROLL if it sales in the next three days.

Yeah, that'll work...:D

Lion King
11-18-2006, 01:47
Hey LionKing aka PumaPrince....

This isn't a request, it is a demand (which will be ENFORCED by my team of "lawyers")!!! Whenever I appear in your little film, which I will do, the background music will be SLAYER. None of that hippies prancing thru the forest crap, I want the full on "conquering the mountains like a lost viking" ruckus.
I'll be in the movie (alot) because I am the coolest, sexiest, and most "whatever adjective" hiker you met on the PCT this year. Rumor had it that you were awesome, but I AM AWESOMER!!!

RYE

Man I missed you guys!

Wish you would have been around for all the freezing snow and ice this past month. oh yeah, and the storm of the century this past week..good times.

The 4th of July banner LIVES!!!!!!!

Lion King
11-18-2006, 01:50
Goo Goo Dolls...."Better Days"

I actually have a new Amie Mann song I may be able to use, as well as a song that appeared on the movie "Little Miss Sunshine"... there will be a CD this time.

I emailed Pearl Jam about getting a song...good luck right?

I wish I could not only use really good unknowns as I did last time but some of these really good known folks, but its always about the money with some people.

Lion King
11-18-2006, 01:51
and thanks to everyone else for forwarding the info.

I really do appreciate it1

Good music is everything.